November 7, 2014. Christopher Nolan. INTERSTELLAR.

98,615 Views | 809 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by The Collective
MW03
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
^ Everyone who has read the old draft of the script has done a fairly good job of using spoiler tags so far, but I'll try to cut back on any script talk from here on out. Though, I've hopefully avoided discussing anything that won't be shown in the trailers. The NASA base will likely be front and center in the marketing. It's basically what the whole movie hinges on.

People have been very conscious of spoilers. I wasn't meaning to indict anyone. I know I have a hard time looking past spoilers, though. My eyes are just drawn to the text and I pick stuff up even when I'm trying to scroll past. That's why I was skipping the thread. I didn't mean for my comment to be interpreted as a ***** about spoilers.
TCTTS
AG
Gotcha. What this board desperately needs is legit spoiler tags that hide info completely until you mouse-over. Would be so much better/easier.
hunter2012
AG
I would agree to no more spoilers from this page onward, for example no discussions of the script. Only synopsis located in imbd, etc...

TCTTS you could make a note on your first post that from 10 onward there will be no spoilers.
Simplebay
AG
Fan made

TCTTS
AG
quote:
TCTTS you could make a note on your first post that from 10 onward there will be no spoilers.

Just added a note. Thanks.
TCTTS
AG
Sounds like Matt Damon's role could be more than just a cameo...

http://www.hitfix.com/in-contention/matt-damon-predicts-big-things-for-interstellar-and-praises-co-star-mcconaugheys-hot-streak
TCTTS
AG
Damn it, I need to see this movie now...

http://www.mtv.com/videos/movies/996712/anne-hathaways-mind-was-blown-every-day-on-set-of-interstellar.jhtml
hunter2012
AG
You weren't going to see it before?
hunter2012
AG
Or you need to see this movie..NOW
TCTTS
AG
Ha, I meant "now" as in not 10 months from now. But I can see how it reads the other way...
hunter2012
AG
I just saw the clip, I may have to pull a "fan boys" and go borrow the reel.
TCTTS
AG
I'll go with you.
TCTTS
AG
New McConaughey article/interview for Variety. It touches on Interstellar toward the end...

quote:
McConaughey is continuing to work on challenging roles with the best directors in the business. He’s just signed on to play a suicidal man who discovers a different path in director Gus Van Sant’s “Sea of Trees.” And he will be seen this November in Christopher Nolan’s top-secret sci-fi epic “Interstellar.” While he can’t divulge anything about the plot, McConaughey does say: “Here’s what I can tell you,” before slipping into the third person. “It’s the most ambitious thing he’s ever done. And he’s done some ambitious stuff.”

McConaughey had run into Nolan over the years, but it was at an event about two years ago he says the director first praised his work. “He came up to me and said, ‘“Mud.” I love that movie,’ ” McConaughey recalls. He was later asked to fly to Los Angeles to meet with Nolan. “I sat down with him for about 2½ hours at his house,” he recalls. “Not one word came up about “Interstellar.” I walked out not sure what to think. I mean, he’s not a guy who takes general meetings.” Clearly Nolan liked what he saw; McConaughey was offered the role.

Nolan may be tight-lipped about the film’s plot, but he has nothing but praise for the pic’s star. “Matthew works from the inside out,” he says. “He approaches a character from a deep human understanding, refusing to take shortcuts to an emotional connection with the audience — all while never losing sight of the demands of the overall narrative.”

“Interstellar” might break McConaughey’s streak of independent films, but he does point out that Nolan, who began his career with small pics like “Following” and “Memento,” still brings an indie sensibility to big-budget movies. “There’s no ****ing around on set,” the actor notes. “He’s a great problem solver. In that way, he’s very indie. Here’s a guy who could have whatever budget he wants — and we finished shooting early.”

http://variety.com/2014/film/news/matthew-mcconaugheys-independent-streak-1201104820/
israeliag
AG
quote:
“He’s a great problem solver. In that way, he’s very indie. Here’s a guy who could have whatever budget he wants — and we finished shooting early.”

I work in business and IT, where I come up with and drive methodologies and practices that allow enterprises to run effectively. I've always wanted to shadow a movie set to see how they operate from a business and productivity standpoint. I think it's fascinating how the art world and business world meet, especially when they do so in harmonious fashion. It sounds like Nolan would be a great captain of industry no matter what he set his sights on (I'm sure it helps that he's doing something he's so passionate about). /thoughtregurgitation
Simplebay
AG
doesnt hurt that nolan at this point has his go to people, and from what i understand doesnt have a bunch of yes men around.
bedofbrass33
AG
Interesting comment by Hathaway about being "whoa" in the make up trailers. I thought this was going to be a 2001 type movie but makeup like that might imply aliens?
TCTTS
AG
^ She was actually referring to the other actors in the make-up trailer. Not the make-up itself. As in, she was shocked by McConaughey, Jessica Chastain, Matt Damon, Casey Affleck, Topher Grace, Wes Bentley, etc. all being part of the same cast.
bedofbrass33
AG
quote:
^ She was actually referring to the other actors in the make-up trailer. Not the make-up itself. As in, she was shocked by McConaughey, Jessica Chastain, Matt Damon, Casey Affleck, Topher Grace, Wes Bentley, etc. all being part of the same cast.

Copy that, thanks for the clarification.
TCTTS
TCTTS
AG
Talked to my friend again who gave me the down-low on the first trailer, weeks before it hit. Said the new one will likely be full-length (as in two-and-a-half-minutes), and focuses a little more on the set-up: Earth is f*cked, needs saving, McConaughey & co are taking a ship to a new planet to save humanity, etc. Nothing ground-breaking, I know, but my friend did say that from what they've seen, this might be one of McConaughey's best roles ever. Dude is on a freaking role.

We probably won't see this trailer until April, though, likely with Transcendence on April 17. A third trailer should then hit in late July with Jupiter Ascending, then maybe a fourth sometime in the fall (probably internet-only, though). I'd expect the big money-shot trailer to be the one in July. Inception, TDK, and TDKR all had four trailers, with the third one being the "final" theatrical trailer, and then a fourth, shorter, internet-only one to follow. Looks like Interstellar will follow suit. Will definitely watch the third one, but will avoid the fourth one for sure, if they go that route.
Wrec86 Ag
So ready for this.
Cave Johnson, CEO
AG
Can't wait.
TCTTS
AG
I'm trying my best not to put the cart before horse, but this movie at least has the potential to be one of my favorites of all time. All the right ingredients are being used, and the chef - one of my absolute favorites - is saying all the right things as he prepares the meal. Seriously, everything Nolan describes here is the exact movie I want, and one that I haven't seen in a long, long time...

quote:
Towards the end, Nolan suggested that his film harkens back to the "Golden Age of blockbusters" in which he grew up. He mentioned that seeing Star Wars and 2001: A Space Odyssey as a child were two huge film influences on him. He thought that back then films were more broad-based and that "family films" weren't looked down upon by cinephiles as they are today. Mentioning that the film has a very different tone than one he's done in the past, a tone he was interested in exploring, made us think that Interstellar may be something closer to Disney's The Black Hole than 2001 and it might not be nearly as dark or intellectually challenging or an "adult movie" like Inception was.

Nolan also mentioned that he wanted the film to have a "universality" that looked at where we are as people and where we want to go, as he's really trying to create an experience in moviegoers to carry with them similar to the ones he had when he was watching films growing up.

http://www.comingsoon.net/news/cinemaconnews.php?id=116504
TCTTS
AG
A slightly more comprehensive rundown from the luncheon...

http://www.hitfix.com/awards-campaign/christopher-nolan-reveals-way-more-details-about-interstellar-than-he-wanted-to
hunter2012
AG
a very promising interview, can't wait for the next trailer...
Cinco Ranch Aggie
AG
Closer to The Black Hole? There were things about that movie that were good - the score by John Barry, design and visual effects, but a lot of that was utter crap. Hoping for something a bit more cerebral.
TCTTS
AG
I wouldn't take that so literally. Just kind of in the same spirit of adventure.
TCTTS
AG
No trailer with Transcendence, obviously (especially once WB knew they had a bomb on their hands), but the new trailer has just been confirmed to hit with Godzilla on May 16. So I'd expect an online release anytime between Monday, May 12 and Monday, May 19. Just a couple more weeks...
zgood10
cr0wbar
AG
just watched that teaser. cool
TravelAg2004
AG
I just spent the last hour and half reading through everything on this thread. So pumped for this!!!
TCTTS
TCTTS
AG
Just as I was told a few weeks ago, confirmation now coming in that this will be a full trailer. Officially clocks in at 2:24 (which likely doesn't include the green band beforehand).
hunter2012
AG
Great to hear, maybe in a couple of weeks...

also a cool fanmade poster, might be kind of big:

[This message has been edited by hunter2012 (edited 5/4/2014 4:35p).]
TCTTS

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.