November 7, 2014. Christopher Nolan. INTERSTELLAR.

98,612 Views | 809 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by The Collective
SpiralAg
How long do you want to ignore this user?
This sounds awesome.
jeffk
AG
Last sci-fi movie I saw that involved worm holes scared the poopie out of me -

Thanks for the insights, TT. Shake off them haters.
PatAg
AG
Sphere should have been a much cooler movie. That book was very trippy.
Bruce Almighty
AG
Sphere is one of my favorite books. It's the one movie I wish is remade.
Btron
AG
Event Horizon was exactly the first movie that came to mind when reading the synopsis. And at movie scared the crap out of me.
Saxsoon
AG
One of the best Sci-Fi films ever.
Simplebay
AG
Love Speed Racer. Love Event Horozon
ElCheAg
AG
TCTTS posts on the Entertainment board, to me, are very good reads. I thank him for them.
Vander
AG
quote:
GiveEmHellBill - I know exactly what you mean. The cynicism on most of those sites is ridiculous. Another reason why I like posting here. It's at least healthy cynicism, if that makes sense, and there's genuine excitement otherwise.

Professor Frick - Ha, yeah, I remember that, and saw that you were kidding after the fact. But that thread got so crazy that I just stayed out of there after that. No worries.

Everyone else - again, thanks.

As for the movie itself, I'm definitely imagining something like Sphere, at least in that same, serious vein, only way better. Like - and this is obvious - Inception in space. That kind of tone/intrigue. It's been FOREVER since we've seen a good, serious, space-epic. Something more 2001 than Star Wars, but something that is also tied to legit science/theories.

Also, consider the release date. That's prime Oscar territory. Given that most of Nolan's movies have been big, summer blockbusters, I think this strategy may say a lot about the potential of the story itself. More thinking-man's sci-fi than blockbuster sci-fi. Should be pretty awesome, either way.

Please no. That movie was terrible. If they had followed the book rather than made **** up it would have been a classic, but it was a terrible movie.

I hope they don't go that route.
TCTTS
AG
Neither Sphere nor Event Horizon were very good. I wasn't saying they were. I was just echoing Sphere as an example because it's literally one of the only "serious" space movies that's come out over the past 20 years or so. Hoping Interstellar will be the "good" version of those movies, i.e. a good, serious space movie. Not "space adventure" (ala Star Wars, Trek, etc.)
Belton Ag
AG
On Sphere: I bought the book in 1994 and started reading it on a Friday afternoon. I didn't put it down and finished it at about 4am Saturday morning. I've only done something like that with one other book and even then I rested before I finished it. One of the best books I've ever read and my favorite of all Crichton's books.

The movie was miscast terribly IMO. Reading the book I had pictured in my mind the main characters and envisioned no one like Dustin Hoffman, Samuel L Jackson or Sharon Stone. That was the first problem. The second was, of course, they only vaguely followed the premise of the book and the movie ended up being a giant WTF? rather than a suspenseful Sci-Fi masterpiece like the book. In fact if you hadn't read the book you probably wondered why the hell the movie got made.

Event Horizon was scary as hell and was excellent until Sam Neill turned into Pinhead from Hellraiser at the end.
sharkenleo
Sphere was a space movie? I could've sworn it took place underwater.

(Disclaimer: I haven't seen the movie since the theaters, haven't read the book, and admittedly don't remember much about it other than Dustin Hoffman being in it.)
Aggie_Journalist
AG
Sphere is about an Alien ship found underwater. The remoteness of the bottom of the ocean might as well be out of space. It's certainly sci fi and feels spacey, even if it never leaves the atmosphere.
TCTTS
AG
Damn it - I was meaning Soderbergh's Solaris, not Sphere. All those subpar sci-fi "ship" movies from the '90s and early '00s have blended together over the years. All the more reason Interstellar can and needs to stand out. But yeah, Sphere definitely feels space-ish too.
Belton Ag
AG
quote:
Sphere is about an Alien ship found underwater. The remoteness of the bottom of the ocean might as well be out of space. It's certainly sci fi and feels spacey, even if it never leaves the atmosphere.

Spoiler alert:

The ship isn't Alien. It's a ship from earth that went through a black hole and went back in time and crashed into the ocean.
Bruce Almighty
AG
That's true for the book, but was that established in the movie? Not saying you're wrong, I just don't remember. The sphere flew out into space at the end.
Belton Ag
AG
Oh. I'm assuming the movie too. But now that you mention it I don't specifically remember.
Aggie_Journalist
AG
Belton - I was trying not to spoil it for anyone, haha. (I read the book, no idea about the movie...)

[This message has been edited by Aggie_Journalist (edited 3/10/2013 8:31p).]
Belton Ag
AG
That's the thing about that movie. It's a central part of the plot but I can't remember if they established that it was an alien ship or not - it was that forgettable.
Inspector Spacetime
AG
quote:
Op, I appreciate all your threads about upcoming movies, but seriously, do you work for a PR firm or something? Just seems like all you do around here is name drop and tell us about about upcoming titles, which is what PR firms do to gain credibility and pimp out future titles.

Again, thanks for telling us about new movies, but please come from a place of honesty.

I know that comment's a few days old now, but seriously??

do you, OP
PatAg
AG
Sunshine is the only decent space movie I can think of from the past 10 years.
Saxsoon
AG
Bruce Almighty
AG
Sunshine was Okay as was Promethius. Not sure if we're counting Serenity or Star Trek, but Moon may be the best space movie in a very long time. Maybe since Aliens.
Aggie_Journalist
AG
For Moon.
Gradin
AG
quote:
TCTTS threads are the best parts of the entertainment board!

TCTTS
AG
Thanks, guys, Much appreciated.
TCTTS
AG
I went through a list of every sci-fi space movie ever released, narrowed it down, then divided up the relevant titles into the two categories I’ve been referring to: "Serious” Space Sci-fi and Space Adventure. Granted, a couple of these titles could go either way, but the point I was making earlier is that Interstellar sounds like it’s going to adhere more more closely to the “Serious” category. And if so, as far as quality goes, it really won’t have much competition save for Moon, Sunshine and 2001 (IMO). Criteria for that category consists of sci-fi space movies that aren’t necessarily “fun”/adventure, likely rated-R, took place mainly aboard a ship, or there was some kind of journey to a far off corner of the universe (like Contact, which isn’t necessarily a “space movie,” but may have similar themes to Interstellar).

As for “Space Adventure,” these titles are obviously more fun/adventurous, with a decent portion of their setting either in space or aboard a ship (for instance, Avatar didn’t make the cut because 99% of the plot is on another planet, while The Fifth Element feels more like a space movie, but barely made the cut). Anyway, I’m sure I’ve left off a title or two, but again, for comparison, these were just the most popular/relevant titles to the discussion...

"SERIOUS" SPACE SCI-FI:

2012 - Prometheus
2009 - Moon
2007 - Sunshine
2002 - Solaris (Soderbergh)
2000 - Mission to Mars
2000 - Red Planet
1997 - Contact
1997 - Event Horizon
1979 - Alien (+ subsequent titles/franchise)
1968 - 2001: A Space Odyssey

SPACE ADVENTURE:

2009 - Star Trek (+ earlier titles/franchise)
2005 - Serenity
2005 - Star Wars Episode III: Revenge of the Sith (+ earlier titles/franchise)
1998 - Lost in Space
1997 - The Fifth Element
1979 - The Black Hole

[This message has been edited by TCTTS (edited 3/11/2013 11:43a).]
boogieman
AG
quote:
but please come from a place of honesty

Hilarious.
Bruce Almighty
AG
Contact is in my personal top 10 as far as science fiction movies go, and probably my 2nd favorite next to T2 released since 1990, but I'm not sure I would consider it a space movie since only about 10 minutes of it takes place in space. As far as 2001, that is my pick for the most overrated piece of crap in the history of cinema.
TCTTS
AG
Contact is one of my all-time favorites as well, sci-fi or not. Like I said, the only reason I included it was because of the "journey to the far reaches of the universe"/wormhole aspect, similar to Interstellar. As for 2001, I'm on the fence. I think a good chunk of it is brilliant, but parts of it are definitely overrated / way too out there.
Bruce Almighty
AG
I don't mind movies being slow, but what I don't like are movies that waste huge chunks of time where there is absolutely nothing going on and adds zero to the plot. The Lord of the Rings movies are guilty of this as well, but I can at least sit through those movies in their entirety, even if I am bored at times. I read a study on 2001 where there is actually only 45 minutes of plot that is essential to the movie. The other hour and 45 minutes could be taken out and would not effect the movie at all.
schmendeler
AG
as if the only point to watching movies was for the plot to be completed as soon as possible.
benMath08
AG
What about

The Andromeda Strain
Apollo 13
The Chronicles of Riddick
The Day the Earth Stood Still
Deep Impact
Armageddon
Doom (lol)
Dune
Forbidden Planet
Galaxy Quest
Hitchhiker's Guide
The Last Starfighter
Moonraker (bahahaha)
Starship Troopers
Stargate
Titan A.E.
Total Recall
WALL-E
Wing Commander
jlb2957
AG
quote:
Sphere is one of my favorite books. It's the one movie I wish is remade.

My favorite Crichton book. A fantastic read. There won't be a remake though.

quote:
The Andromeda Strain
Apollo 13
The Chronicles of Riddick
The Day the Earth Stood Still
Deep Impact
Armageddon
Doom (lol)
Dune
Forbidden Planet
Galaxy Quest
Hitchhiker's Guide
The Last Starfighter
Moonraker (bahahaha)
Starship Troopers
Stargate
Titan A.E.
Total Recall
WALL-E
Wing Commander

Crazy as it may sound... I think Chronicles of Riddick is my favorite on that list...

I also think Pitch Black is one of the better "survival" movies in the 2000's. Maybe it's because i never expected much out of it, ended up seeing it at 2am on some movie channel later, and really enjoyed it.
TCTTS
AG
benMath08 - Again, for the most part, I was comparing to Interstellar, including only relavant titles. Science fiction titles (i.e. not Apollo 13, etc.), non-comedy (no Galaxy Quest, Hitchhikers Guide, etc.), plot mainly takes place aboard a ship, shares thematic similarities to what we know of Interstellar, etc. Yes, you could throw in Starship Troopers or a couple others under "Space Adnventure," but that wasn't really the point of what I was doing.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.