November 7, 2014. Christopher Nolan. INTERSTELLAR.

98,616 Views | 809 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by The Collective
Ag Since 83
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Got my tickets for Tuesday night at Look Cinemas in Dallas
TCTTS
AG
quote:
I'm still debating on whether I should read that old script or not people keep mentioning. I feel like I might like it more if I read nothing, but I'm having a hard time waiting for 30 days to go by.

Compromise and read the first 30 pages or so. I think I read like the first 60 or 70 pages - to whenever they go through the wormhole - then I stopped, and I don't feel spoiled at all (but I'm not a huge spoilerphobe either). The final product seems different enough that it may even be more fun to see what's been changed/added.
Dad
AG
Can you PM me the link? If not, I will PM my email to you. I don't feel like posting it.
TCTTS
AG
I don't think there's a readily-available link anywhere. PM me your email and I'll send over the pdf.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
http://www.imax.com/community/blog/advance-tickets-for-interstellar-on-sale-now/

List of where the movie will be showing in IMAX 70MM.

Buying a ticket today.
TCTTS
AG
Nice little write up from Entertainment Weekly (though they consistently have the most bland covers ever)...

http://popwatch.ew.com/2014/10/15/this-weeks-cover-your-exclusive-all-access-pass-to-christopher-nolans-interstellar
Saxsoon
AG
TC, what is the buzz you are hearing? Is MM up for another Oscar? Is this going to be in best picture contention?
Simplebay
AG
I did the Oculus rift Interstellar experience, it was pretty cool.
TCTTS
AG
quote:
TC, what is the buzz you are hearing? Is MM up for another Oscar? Is this going to be in best picture contention?

Nothing yet other than the few cryptic tweets I've posted here. Basic gist is that it's apparently amazing, and will absolutely be a Best Picture nominee. Still no word on individual performances, though. With a release two weeks from today (!), we should start hearing more official word any day now.
TCTTS
AG
quote:
I did the Oculus rift Interstellar experience, it was pretty cool.

Cool to hear. Wanted to try it, but the only one in LA is pretty far away from me.
TCTTS
AG
Like clockwork, as of today, the first reactions are starting to come in...

http://www.slashfilm.com/early-buzz-interstellar-review/
DB Coach
AG
quote:
http://www.imax.com/community/blog/advance-tickets-for-interstellar-on-sale-now/

Buying a ticket today.
I know I should be more versed in this that I am, but can anyone explain the difference in the 70MM IMAX Experience showing versus the 3D, digital, etc., showings in the "other" IMAX theaters?
TCTTS
AG
Basically, 70mm IMAX is projected on a giant square screen - the same type of enormous, multi-story screen where many of those nature type IMAX movies used to be shown (and still are in some theaters).

The digital IMAX - or "LieMax" - is still a big screen, but much smaller than your typical 70mm IMAX screen.

That said, both of these can be shown in 3D, and the enormous, multi-story screens are starting to project in digital now as well. But for this movie, in particular, 70mm IMAX equals true IMAX, and digital likely equals smaller "LieMAX."

Though I'm sure someone here can explain the technical differences much better than I can.
TCTTS
AG
Brad Bird @BradBirdA113
Dazzled by the ambition & intelligence of Chris Nolan's INTERSTELLAR. Terrific performances, haunting imagery, WOW. See it in 70MM IMAX.

Devil Faraci @devincf
I can now tell you guys that I know a few people who have seen INTERSTELLAR. Most loved it, one really disliked it.

Devil Faraci @devincf
@MdellW @GermainLussier one person told me it's a masterpiece. One person told me half the movie is McConaughey crying about recordings of

Devil Faraci @devincf
@MdellW @GermainLussier his daughter and that it takes an hour to get going. We'll all see soon enough!
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
quote:
quote:

Buying a ticket today.
I know I should be more versed in this that I am, but can anyone explain the difference in the 70MM IMAX Experience showing versus the 3D, digital, etc., showings in the "other" IMAX theaters?

As you can see in that image, a true 70mm IMAX projector will project on a much bigger screen, and the proportion is a more of a square. So if you've ever been to a true IMAX theater, you've probably noticed that most movies don't actually take up the whole screen - the top and bottom go unused. Since this movie was filmed in true IMAX (70mm), it will fill the whole screen from top to bottom. (In other words, from floor to ceiling.)

I saw TDK in a true IMAX theater and it was amazing, so I cannot wait for this one. Ticket is purchased and I'm counting the days.
FriendlyAg
I honestly believe that some critics just don't like movies.
bbattbq01
AG
Bought my tickets for true IMAX. Not until 11/7 though... Dang kids cramping my style having to look for available babysitting!
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
11/9 here. All the good seats for the 7th and 8th were taken.
DB Coach
AG
Thanks TC and Brian. That's pretty much what I thought...I just wasn't sure if the 3D made a difference or if true IMAX was digital. The description on the imax link further back seemed to suggest that the 70mm was the best experience and it included digital.

Anyway, I appreciate your effort. I've been to the Cinemark in Dallas that has true IMAX a few years ago...from what I remember, it was really awesome!
TCTTS
AG
IMO, there is no greater movie-going experience than 70mm IMAX. To this day, nothing has come close to The Dark Knight in '08, in terms of story + presentation. One of the greatest movie-going experiences ever. Tron and TDKR tried, but ultimately failed, and Avatar was cool, but it felt too gimmicky, while the Dubai sequence in M:I - Ghost Protocol was the best since TDK, but it was still only one sequence. I'm hoping Interstellar finally does the format justice again in the same way TDK originally did.

The Chinese Theater, where I'm seeing Interstellar, is installing a laser IMAX projector sometime next year - probably right in time for Star Wars . The depth, richness, and detail of 70mm with the ultra-brightness of laser could be a game-changer.
FriendlyAg
TDK was in 08?!? Hahah holy crap.
TCTTS
AG
2000 = Memento
2002 = Insomnia
2005 = Batman Begins
2007 = The Prestige
2008 = The Dark Knight
2010 = Inception
2012 = The Dark Knight Rises
2014 = Interstellar
DB Coach
AG
Back to Interstellar....nice read on how they created a black hole and it's impact on science:

Interstellar Black Hole

An astrophysicist will be able to publish 2 papers on the results, which we will all get to see on the big screen. They used over 800 terabytes of data to simulate the black hole and wormhole!
TCTTS
AG
Awesome article. The video, in particular, was really good.

Less than two weeks!
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Is it me or does it seem like the marketing has been pretty low-key for a movie of this magnitude? I figured that by two weeks out this movie would be EVERYWHERE, but it doesn't really seem to be.

It feels like there's still a few months to go.
TCTTS
AG
I'm seeing commercials for it just about every time I turn on the TV. And there are billboards all over LA, at least. Feels like pretty standard marketing two weeks out.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Probably just not watching enough tv then. Though I walked through Times Square this weekend and didnt notice a single billboard for it.
TCTTS
AG
^ Yeah, that's odd. Figured they'd have some giant billboard in Times Square. Though, I will say, the billboards/posters themselves have been pretty underwhelming.
hunter2012
AG
quote:
Back to Interstellar....nice read on how they created a black hole and it's impact on science:

Interstellar Black Hole

An astrophysicist will be able to publish 2 papers on the results, which we will all get to see on the big screen. They used over 800 terabytes of data to simulate the black hole and wormhole!

That article and video is awesome. Amazing that this film actually caused some scientific discovery.

I feel like after Inception, just listing Christopher Nolan in a trailer will bring out the masses as far as advertising goes. Man of steel did it, though obviously this movie is a different animal with him actually directing.
MASAXET
AG
quote:

Interstellar Black Hole

That's an awesome article! Makes me want to see the movie even more.
Saxsoon
AG
I get this haunting feeling when I see the imagery of that black hole. Amazing that a whole scientific discovery came out of it.
SUPAGGIE
I predict that the space mission fails because McConaughey can't resist taking his shirt off in space and dies.
DB Coach
AG
quote:
I predict that the space mission fails because McConaughey can't resist taking his shirt off in space and dies.
LOL
AliasMan02
AG
quote:
^ Yeah, that's odd. Figured they'd have some giant billboard in Times Square. Though, I will say, the billboards/posters themselves have been pretty underwhelming.

Marketing should just be a black poster with the words, "Nolan's new movie."
double aught
AG
I get you, but there's a large segment of the population that neither knows nor cares who directs the movies they watch.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.