November 7, 2014. Christopher Nolan. INTERSTELLAR.

98,617 Views | 809 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by The Collective
Port_Cow Ag 08
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Looks awesome.
MSCAg
AG
Good trailer - doesn't give a whole lot away.
MEEN Ag 05
AG
Very excited about this. As far as the earth scenes go it looks very similar to the script from a few months back.
Bruce Almighty
AG
I hope this is good but I'm getting the same vibe from this that I got from TDKR and Man of Steel. Nolan's ultra melodramatic feel to all his movies lately is turning me off. TDKR was the first Nolan movie that I did not absolutely love and though he didn't direct Man of Steel, it had his style written all over it. I know all directors have their style, but sometimes I just want to be like "dude, cheer the **** up."
jabberwalkie09
AG
Will definitely go see this in theaters.
p-townag
AG
I get what you're saying about Nolan being melodramatic. I look at it a different way in that I appreciate that he makes movies that mean something. They have weight. It's embarrassing to say, but the trailer made me feel the pain of leaving my son to save the world and how hard of a goodbye that would be. That's impressive for a simple traoler, and it's something I feel like movies, especially blockbusters, are lacking right now (here's to you Kurtzman and Orci).

But yeah, sometimes Nolan goes overboard and forced/heavy handed, but I still appreciate it compared to the alternative.
AliasMan02
AG
He should totally work in some dance numbers.
annie88
AG
looks good.
GCRanger
AG
I'm in.
TCTTS
AG
I totally get wanting Nolan to "cheer up," but honestly, this looks way more optimistic than anything he's done previously. Feels like it has way more heart too.
hunter2012
AG
Not every movie can be sunshine and rainbows, what makes Nolan good is that he explores humanity as it is rather than the idealized "protagonist is a invincible demigod and the apex of humanity."
TCTTS
AG
Also, getting into some very slight ***SPOILER*** speculation (nothing having to do with the second half of the movie or the space stuff, though)...

... but Jessica Chastain HAS to be playing an older Murphy, right? The red hair, similar features, etc. Chastain even looks to be wearing McConaughey's jacket in the one shot we see her. And I'm betting Casey Affleck is an older version of the son. They look somewhat similar as well. Both older actors are shown in shots with the crops being burnt, as if things are getting increasingly worse.

I have no idea if a similar element was in the original draft, since I stopped reading about halfway through (and I don't want to know either). Regardless, I LOVE the concept of implementing what actual speed-of-light/wormhole travel would have on time and space, in that the characters aboard the ship will hardly age, and could be gone for only a few months, while years and years will pass on Earth. I've seen that concept examined in dozens of science shows, but never in an actual movie yet, I don't think. If Nolan does go that route - and it definitely looks like he is - there's an almost Inception-like quality in that we could be cutting back and forth from the interstellar journey to Earth, but each time we cut back to Earth, so much more time will have passed than for the characters aboard the ship. That's such a cool way to potentially tell this story. Murphy will have been waiting YEARS for her father to return, but when/if McConaughey does return, he'll still be basically the same age, and meeting his much older daughter & son.
TCTTS
AG
AWESOME article from Gizmodo about the potentially "realistic" science in Interstellar, along with a lot of actual space travel theory talk. So cool...

http://sploid.gizmodo.com/interstellar-may-be-the-first-movie-that-shows-a-real-1577548722

[This message has been edited by TCTTS (edited 5/16/2014 4:45p).]
Post removed:
by user
aTmAg
AG
quote:
I completely buy the trailer's vision of a future weather and resource global crisis. The global data is unquestionable. Man-made or not, I don't care, the fact is that climate change is happening. It's drastic and it's accelerating, and we may not be able to stop it at this point.

Good gawd. This is going to ruin the entire movie.
TCTTS
AG
The excerpt you quoted, I can stand. It's the fingers-in-the-ears, uncompromising denial that's what's really going to ruin the movie.

That said, whatever anyone's opinion, please, let's not let this thread go down that road...
TCTTS
AG
I was referring more to the awesome potential science mentioned in the article, not the global warming bit.
TCTTS
AG
In particular, this absolutely blew my mind...

quote:
By creating one of these warp bubbles, the spaceship's engine will compress the space ahead and expand the space behind, moving it to another place without actually moving, and carrying none of the adverse effects of other travel methods. According to Dr. White, "by harnessing the physics of cosmic inflation, future spaceships crafted to satisfy the laws of these mathematical equations may actually be able to get somewhere unthinkably fast—and without adverse effects."

He says that, if everything is confirmed in these practical experiments, we would be able to create an engine that will get us to Alpha Centauri "in two weeks as measured by clocks here on Earth." The time will be the same in the spaceship and on Earth, he claims, and there will not be "tidal forces inside the bubble, no undue issues, and the proper acceleration is zero. When you turn the field on, everybody doesn't go slamming against the bulkhead, which would be a very short and sad trip."
DB Coach
AG
TCTTS, thanks for posting that link! I am pumped for this movie...it's going to be a LONG wait though!!!
jeffk
AG
quote:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Alcubierre_drive

People think this is how they are trying to achieve FTL travel in the movie

After reading the wiki article on Alcubierre drives, I'm pretty much an expert on theoretical physics. That being said, I have some real issues with TC referring to this type of travel as "safe." I'm clearly going to have to majorly suspend belief as I take this film in. Nolan may get away with playing fast and loose with physics and the other soft sciences in his superhero flicks, but I'll have some high expectations for this more "intellectual" drama.

And that's IF I can be spared at the lab and make it down to the cinema.
TCTTS
AG
quote:
That being said, I have some real issues with TC referring to this type of travel as "safe."

Huh?
Cave Johnson, CEO
AG
quote:
Not seeing what you all are seeing in this.

Cliched family-based melodrama. Check!

Apparent lame global warming/whatnot plot.

Just seems.... a non-starter.

I hope I am wrong, but nothing in this trailer got me excited.

Where are people getting the global warming bit from? I didn't feel like the trailer was preachy, the dude simply said "we ran out of food" nothing about global warming. I think the plot of this is the most likely scenario to what would really happen. It's going to take a substantial event to get us off our collective asses and attempt to find a way off the planet, it's not out of the realm of possibility that a food shortage would cause that. There needed to be some catalyst for pushing the movie forward and a need for them to explore into space, famine just so happens to be the one they went with.

Also.

quote:
Ben Fritz ‏@benfritz 5h
People who know more about "Interstellar" than I do say most of the trailer (presumably Earth parts) are just the first 15 mins of the film

My guess from this that most of the "family melodrama" is going to take place early on and then quickly be over with.

[This message has been edited by Cave Johnson, CEO (edited 5/16/2014 7:15p).]
TCTTS
AG
quote:
quote:
Ben Fritz ‏@benfritz 5h
People who know more about "Interstellar" than I do say most of the trailer (presumably Earth parts) are just the first 15 mins of the film

My guess from this that most of the "family melodrama" is going to take place early on and then quickly be over with.

Not true. All the family/farm stuff will be at least half an hour, if not more. In the original draft, the launch doesn't take place until page 50 (that's 50 minutes in), and Nolan not only looks to be sticking fairly close to that draft, but he's also added scenes to that section. My guess is the launch doesn't happen until an hour in when all is said and done. Just based on the trailer alone, there's evidence of more than 15 minutes worth of family-related scenes. That stuff will be the glue that holds the whole movie together. Trust me, Nolan will take the time to ensure sure the audience is invested.
aTmAg
AG
My problem is the finger-in-the-ears chicken littles who keep throwing that crap into their movies.
Bruce Almighty
AG
Then don't see it. Keep the global warming debate off this thread.
DB Coach
AG
I have not read the script, so I can't pretend to know what the calamity is. But since "the food ran out", we can ascertain two things or the combination of the two. Weather and/or climate dramatically caused crop failure, or population outgrew production, or both.

Population outpacing food production has been an alarm sounding since 1798 with Thomas Malthus.

Regardless, I can't wait to see this film!
Seven Psycho Ags
My screening of Godzilla didn't have the trailer. I refused to watch it for the past 24 hours so I could see it on the big screen and they fooled me, Jerry!
Malachi Constant
AG
Maybe an asteroid hits earth with alien genetic material that starts killing plant life on earth and we can't reverse it.
SapperAg
AG
Maybe gay marriage will cause the crops to fail. Is that more realistic, aTm?
aTmAg
AG
More likely, liberal nationalization of the food industry would cause it. That's happened plenty of times. Just ask the 43M who died in China due to liberalism.
SapperAg
AG
You must be a delight at parties.
aTmAg
AG
Your wife seems to think so.
Bruce Almighty
AG
Really?
SapperAg
AG
Lol. 5 minutes to come up with that sick burn?

In other news, I love Nolan's films and have been looking forward to this trailer. Hoping to see Godzilla tonight and hoping the trailer is attached.

[This message has been edited by Sapperag (edited 5/17/2014 8:59a).]
Cave Johnson, CEO
AG
It wasn't attached to Godzilla at my screening. I was not pleased.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.