November 7, 2014. Christopher Nolan. INTERSTELLAR.

99,381 Views | 809 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by The Collective
cr0wbar
How long do you want to ignore this user?
TCTTS
AG
“Mankind was born on Earth. It was never meant to die here.”

The tagline in the new trailer.

So awesome.

[This message has been edited by TCTTS (edited 5/5/2014 4:58p).]
TCTTS
AG
Also, the trailer is rumored to debut online Saturday, May 17. The first teaser debuted online on the Saturday morning of the opening weekend it was released, so this makes sense.
TCTTS
AG
Random, but the trailer actually premiered today at the National Air and Space Museum before a showing of Hubble 3D in IMAX. The trailer will apparently be playing with all showings of Hubble 3D at the Washington, D.C. theater from now through the foreseeable future, so expect more descriptions soon. For the time being, this is all we have...

quote:
“After a brief announcement, the trailer unspooled to show Matthew McConaughey driving his truck through corn fields while a lush orchestral score swelled in the background. Later, the fields had caught fire, an ominous dust cloud could be seen looming over a baseball game, and McConaughey (playing a character named Cooper) was reassuring his daughter that he loved her — right before being shot into space in order to save the world.”

[This message has been edited by TCTTS (edited 5/5/2014 6:41p).]
Cave Johnson, CEO
AG
This may be a dumb question but do directors have any involvement in the making of the trailer? Are they made in house at the studio or do they outsource it to another company?
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
quote:
This may be a dumb question but do directors have any involvement in the making of the trailer?

Rarely.
TCTTS
AG
Christopher Nolan has complete involvement and final say in his trailers, but no, most directors don't get final say. Many get to choose from a few iterations, and make suggestions here and there, but unless you're Nolan/Spielberg/Fincher/Cameron/etc., your input is minimal.

And most studios outsource their trailers. They'll give two or three companies all the footage they want to use, or let them have/see a working version of the movie so far, and then choose their favorite cut of the trailer amongst the companies. Sometimes they'll ask that companies stick to a certain theme/idea, and other times they'll let the companies get as creative as they can. Either way, for some trailers, it's almost like a competition among companies, and for others, studios have one company/editor they really like to use for certain projects.

[This message has been edited by TCTTS (edited 5/6/2014 12:25p).]
hunter2012
AG
quote:
“Mankind was born on Earth. It was never meant to die here.”

The tagline in the new trailer.

So awesome.

If true it means the main theme from the version we read made it to the movie... HELL YES

Looking forward to seeing it within a week.

[This message has been edited by hunter2012 (edited 5/6/2014 10:24a).]
TCTTS
AG
Yep. Same with the baseball scene.
TCTTS
AG
BOOM. Official.

zgood10
AG
Wow. Old school lookin' poster
TCTTS
AG
Exactly. Like Close Encounters or something. Absolutely love it.

That trailer needs to get here now.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Pretty cool.
TCTTS
AG
Alright, here's a better, but somewhat scatterbrained description of the trailer from someone who saw it at the Air and Space Museum. Now that it's in heavy rotation there, my guess is a bootleg hits sooner rather than later...

quote:
Coop (McConaughey) walks into an office with David Oyelowo or Gyasi and someone else.
"A little late Coop…" - David's character
"We had a flat." - Coop
Cut to Coop racing through corn fields in his pickup truck with his two kids... there is a drone chasing them.
"Indian surveillance drones… solar cells power an entire farm..." - Coop
"What did ya do Murph?" – the kid from Homeland, to his little sister Murph (played by Mackenzie Foy)
"Ah, she didn’t do nothing." – Coop
"Murphy’s Law!" - Homeland kid
Cut back to the office
"You’re a well educated man, Coop. And a trained pilot." - David's character
"And an engineer." – Coop
"The world doesn’t need any more engineers. We didn’t run out of planes and television sets… we ran out of food." – David's character
--- through this preceding part, there are interspersed shots of burning cornfields with Chastain and a bearded Affleck looking on (in different shots).

[From Christopher Nolan, Director of Inception and The Dark Knight Trilogy.]
Murph and Coop standing by the pickup truck...
"Dad, why did you name me after something that’s bad?" – Murph
"Well, we didn’t." – Coop
"Murphy’s Law?" – Murph
"Murphy’s Law doesn’t mean something bad will happen… it means that whatever CAN happen, will happen." – Coop
Cut to baseball game/massive dust cloud shot
cut to Professor Michael Caine and Coop walking by the massive construction/maintenance of what are probably space ships or something.
"We must confront the reality that nothing in our solar system can help us." – Caine's character
"Now you need to tell me what your plan is to save the world." – Coop
"You’re not meant to save the world. You’re meant to lead it." – Caine's character
"… this is the mission people train for." - Caine's character
"I got kids, Professor." - Coop
"Go out there and save them." - Caine's character
Cut to tearful Murph in their house.
"(How will I know you’re) coming back?" - Murph
"I’m coming back…" - Coop

(after this point, it was all a blur and I can't remember most of what was on the screen)
Blasting off into space, Coop in the ship, space imagery, two of the astronauts submerging in some tank (cyro freeze? idk)
"We must reach far beyond (…)" - Caine's character
(other stuff) - Caine's character
Space imagery, the ship zipping through a worm hole.
"Murph, I love you, forever." - Coop
"I’m coming back." - Coop
end
zgood10
TCTTS
AG
By the way, for those of you who read the '08 J. Nolan draft, we now have confirmation of the baseball game and the drone chase making it into this version. Looks like not a ton has changed as far as the Earth scenes go, though all that conversation at the beginning of the trailer is a completely new element.

Also, it sounds like Michael Caine is playing the character that was Anne Hathaway's father in that '08 draft (and may still be). I figured he would play the scientist in the opening, but I guess not.

[This message has been edited by TCTTS (edited 5/6/2014 12:51p).]
TCTTS
AG
A bit more description...

quote:
Just getting a glimpse at that scene where Cooper and his kids are racing around cornfields in their pickup truck, there is a great sense of adventure. But at the same time, there are obvious dire circumstances that are forcing man to leave earth to search for solutions. Cooper is extremely attached to his kids and he has to leave them behind. The music at the end and McConaughey's delivery of "Murph, I love you. Forever." is really powerful stuff.
Simplebay
TCTTS
AG
quote:
Caine wasn't on screen for most of his dialogue, but he's pretty much the standard Grade-A Michael Caine in a Nolan movie. He says some other stuff in the second half I didn't catch, something about "not thinking as individuals."

I think the last shot, which is a ship going through what I assume is a worm hole, looked pretty sleek and simple (in a good way).
Port_Cow Ag 08
TravelAg2004
AG
I think it's awesome this is getting an "extended play" at the Air & Space Museum. I think it speaks a lot to what Nolan is trying to do with this film which is really rekindle that love of space and adventure.
TCTTS
AG
So true.
hunter2012
AG
quote:
I think it's awesome this is getting an "extended play" at the Air & Space Museum. I think it speaks a lot to what Nolan is trying to do with this film which is really rekindle that love of space and adventure.

So much this, it's interesting that he's pushing a message versus undertones...
TCTTS
AG
I'm usually all for undertones, but in this case I hope he pushes the message all he wants. As a huge fan of space exploration/innovation, it's a message I feel strongly about, and one the people in charge (and signing NASA's checks) desperately need to hear.

[This message has been edited by TCTTS (edited 5/7/2014 12:31a).]
230Ag
AG
just saw this thread. this movie looks like it should be awesome!
Prime0882
AG
http://m.washingtonpost.com/blogs/style-blog/wp/2014/05/05/insterstellar-trailer-premieres-at-d-c-s-air-space-museum/

Going to catch the trailer, and the IMAX film, this weekend. I'll report back how awesome it is.
El Mero Guero
Is this anther manmade global warming movie? Looks and sounds awesome and you can't go wrong with CN, I just get tired of the preachy MGW hollywood sh**...over and over again.
hunter2012
AG
I don't think it will be, based on the script we read.

It'll more likely be that exploration and curiosity are essential to humanity's survival. At least that's what I'm hoping for, I don't want a preachy GW movie either.

Have faith in CN, he has never directed a movie astray...
TCTTS
AG
What's the word, JRC0811? Did you see it this weekend?

I'm hearing it could debut online any time now. Some reports say today, some say Friday, while others say Saturday. If it wasn't already playing to the public, I'd say they'd wait and debut it online this Saturday, but the fact that it's technically already out means today is as likely as any other day. Either way, I can't wait.
Prime0882
AG
Never got to make it. Had every intention on going to also go see the Hubble 3D IMAX with the trailer attached, but ended up spending Saturday being a wimp on the couch after wrenching something in my back at the gym.

TCTTS
AG
Sorry to hear!

Hopefully we'll all get to see it soon...
beagle2009
AG
Nolan + Hans Zimmer

[This message has been edited by beagle2009 (edited 5/13/2014 3:01p).]
TCTTS
AG
Here we go.

It's a bootleg, the first five seconds are missing, and it's in French, but the trailer is technically online. I haven't watched it yet, and debating whether I want to do so. Either way, hopefully this will force WB's hand to release the official version sooner rather than later...

https://www.dropbox.com/s/62cikwlu7sdaqi9/video-2014-05-13-20-09-45.mp4
TCTTS
AG
Watched it. Couldn't resist. And even though it was hard to tell what was going on in half the shots toward the end, this movie looks absolutely amazing. The music alone sells it, if not the awesome, sweeping visuals of the dust storms and farm life. This is definitely more of a teaser trailer in that sense. More set-up than anything else, with only a few space shots toward the end. We'll get more plot and money-shots in the next/final trailer, along with Zimmer's actual score most likely (the music used here is "Evey Reborn" by Dario Marianelli from the V for Vendetta soundtrack).

Will post an HD/English version as soon as it's up (which could still be a few days)...
TCTTS
AG
Btw, for those who read the original script, if you pay attention closely, especially to the kids, and a couple other actors shown in the trailer, I think I figured out a significant element that Nolan added. Then again, I never read the second half of the script, so it could have already been in there, but I don't think it was. Not going to get into potential spoilers, but if I'm right, it could be a pretty cool touch.

[This message has been edited by TCTTS (edited 5/13/2014 5:22p).]

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.