November 7, 2014. Christopher Nolan. INTERSTELLAR.

98,611 Views | 809 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by The Collective
TCTTS
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
quote:
What TC is talking about is exactly why Marvel has been so successful in the past few years, IMO. The light, comic tone really makes the movies fun to watch, and makes them endlessly rewatchable. (Especially Iron Man, Avengers, and GOTG.)

They went for a little more dark and serious with Winter Soldier, and will probably continue with that tone in Avengers 2, I just hope they remember to keep them light.

This is also what made the original SW trilogy so great and what the prequels lacked (though I still enjoy them). Here's hoping JJ approached Episode VII that way.

I feel like Marvel almost takes it too far in the other direction a lot of times, but for the most part, I agree.

And JJ doing a Star Wars movie may ultimately end up being my absolute perfect/favorite tone of blockbuster. Fingers crossed.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Have to say I'm kinda disappointed none of the IMAX screenings have had trailers. Was hoping to see some good ones.
TCTTS
AG
Once they finally switch to laser/digital IMAX for good in the next couple of years, we'll get trailers again with true IMAX movies. But right now, with film, for these longer Nolan movies, it has something to do with the projector/reels that doesn't allow enough time for trailers. It's weird. But yeah, this was the perfect movie to see some awesome trailers with, and we got none. Definitely disappointing.
Bunk Moreland
I'm seeing it tomorrow night on the liemax. So I should get trailers. I'll report back what they show.
wangus12
AG
quote:
They went for a little more dark and serious with Winter Soldier
I think they were very successful with the Winter Soldier and its serious tone, yet there was still plenty one-liners and comedic moments in the film.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Oh I agree, they definitely succeeded. It was their Empire.
Saxsoon
AG
In Winter Soldier

Can one of you point me in the direction of the museum, I have to pick up a fossil

Definitely a light mood at times throughout.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
So this is how big a reel of the movie in 70mm is.

Saxsoon
AG
Mother of God
Ag Since 83
AG
FYI, at Look Cinemas in Dallas last night we had trailers, but they were digital, I assume due to the length of the film that you guys mentioned. They also had audio problems during the trailers so in hindsight they should have skipped them. We saw Exodus, The Hobbit, the new Paul Thomas Anderson movie....I think that's it.
Living Legend
AG
Put me in the "very good but not Great" category. There is just so much going on in this movie. I'll have to watch it again to wrap my head around everything.
Saxsoon
AG
I guess I don't understand what there is to understand. I am not trying to be some know it all dick but it seemed pretty straight forward to me. I also knew what the ghost reveal was going to be after so many made such a big deal about the ending so that probably helped understanding.

While these type of endings I know are controversial, I love them
Saxsoon
AG
My only complaint is why the hell were they trying to live in the system of a dying star/black hole
wangus12
AG
quote:
My only complaint is why the hell were they trying to live in the system of a dying star/black hole
Can't exactly control where the wormhole sends them now can they.
Saxsoon
AG
No but it isn't exactly a long term answer.
wangus12
AG
True, but you have to make due. They said that it is a "gentle" black hole which I take to mean that it's gravitational pull is nowhere near as active as say the ones in the middle of the galaxy. I wish they'd have shown a better picture of the entire system and the with the distances between the planets. Did they have to go into their cryo sleep when they traveled inside the system and how long did it take to go from planet to planet.
Saxsoon
AG
It takes about 8 months to get to Mars, I would imagine they had to do the same for traveling inside the solar system. Even if it was a month, I imagine those planets would be way to close to each other.
reb,
AG
I just saw it. It was so good I'd cry, if I weren't so completely happy. Immediate all-time top 10 for this nerd. My god, it's full of stars!
Bunk Moreland
Just got out as well, and I found it Incredible. Need to take a second to focus and think about everything in that film.

Damn. That was nuts
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Great to see some positive reactions. Two more days for me.
Bunk Moreland
quote:
With Interstellar, it's almost like this is his chance to finally make his epic, create his crazy world, and include the smart & the heart all in one. Am I expecting some of the dialogue to be a bit cheesy? Sure, it will at times. Am I expecting a few "conveniences" in regards to the "how did they do that?" questions with space travel? Sure. But I'm also totally ok with that, and it's not going to get in the way of how I'd judge the movie.

This film is not going to change your life. But it's going to be grand, visually stunning, and have a story/heart/personal side that everyone from a 12 year old to a 90 year old will be able to relate to
and buy into....all in a movie about space/time travel. That's incredibly challenging to do, but it's going to happen.
I posted this earlier on the thread. I went into it with this mindset, and I came away so incredibly pleased.
LawAg05
AG
Saw it and thought it was ok. I think I read too many reviews and got my expectations too high.

The visuals are amazing(not Gravity amazing, but still very good). MM and J Chastain deliver great performances. Hathaway not so much. The movie was a bit long. Most of the plot development and interesting parts to me came in the last 1/4 of the movie, but it seemed to take awhile to get there. Overall it was a pretty good sci-fi movie with a great concept, but I think Nolan is a victim of his own success. His bar is so high that anything other than a home run is outside of his norm. I loved Inception, Memento, and the Dark Knight movies, but I would put those movies ahead of Interstellar.

Just my two cents..
Wrec86 Ag
Just got out. Watchef at the IMAX in Houston.

Very, very good. Definitely worth the year long wait.

I'd like to go back and read the original script if possible. Anybody still have it?
BarryProfit
Is imax a must? I want to see it tonight but it will be too crazy at imax with all the fanboys out tonight. I was thinking of just hitting up Sundance with a reserved seat and then checking out imax later if I really dig it.
Bruce Almighty
AG
I don't think it's a must but it is a movie that benefits from the imax experience.
Head Ninja In Charge
AG
The one thing that bothered me was that Cooper had to have the concept of a wormhole explained to him in the most elementary of ways - after they were halfway to their destination and were already approaching the wormhole.

I get exposition in movies, but that was like explaining what a brain is supposed to look like to a surgeon who has already opened up the scalp.
TCTTS
AG
quote:
Just got out. Watchef at the IMAX in Houston.

Very, very good. Definitely worth the year long wait.

I'd like to go back and read the original script if possible. Anybody still have it?

Check the first post in the spoiler thread. I linked to it there.
BarryProfit
So if not doing IMAX, Sundance in Houston gives the option of 35MM or digital, I am assuming 35MM is preferred?
TCTTS
AG
In my experience, when projected, digital actually looks better than a 35mm projector. I'd chose a movie SHOT on 35mm over digital, hands down, but when PROJECTED, I'm all in on digital. No artifacts, the image/words are perfectly clean and steady, etc. Nothing compares to a 70mm projected image, but I'd put a good digital projection just below it. I'll put this way: I'll probably see the movie again this week, but this time in non-IMAX, and I'll definitely be seeking out digital.
BarryProfit
OK good info. I plan to see it on IMAX with the fellas next week (unless it sucks! : ) ), but tonight to get a decent seat you'd have to get there super early I bet and going to reserved seat at Sundance where I can also have a couple of pops seems like the better way to go.
Noblemen06
AG
quote:
I don't think it's a must but it is a movie that benefits from the imax experience.
+1. It is a "must" for seeing it in a theater...IMAX puts it over the top. There are some sequences that are just brilliant in IMAX.
Philip J Fry
AG
quote:
quote:
+1. It is a "must" for seeing it in a theater...IMAX puts it over the top. There are some sequences that are just brilliant in IMAX.

+2
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:

+2

+3. If you have the means, don't think twice.
19 inch cobra
Just got out of this in 70mm IMAX. One of the best movies I've ever seen. Easily. And I don't like many movies these days.

I really want to go see it again.
aggiepaintrain
AG
I missed some dialogue at the iMax but the soundtrack was powerful.
I may go see it again in digital.
Still thinking about this movie.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.