November 7, 2014. Christopher Nolan. INTERSTELLAR.

98,614 Views | 809 Replies | Last: 9 yr ago by The Collective
Brian Earl Spilner
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Damn it TC. You had to go and get us all excited, didn't you?
Saxsoon
AG
I don't think I am going to read anymore of the negative reviews. The stuff these people poke at are things I normally don't care about but once I notice then it nags at me.
TCTTS
AG
I'm somehow even more curious to see the movie now. The negatives people are describing are the things I usually love in movies like this. And even the not-so-great reviews can't help but gush at certain aspects.

One worry I do have is the way people are describing how McConaughey's character finds the NASA base. Without giving anything away, it sounds a lot weirder in this version. I don't quite understand the way people are describing it, whereas the means by which he found the base in the original script sounded a lot cooler/more practical.

It also sounds like the opening, present-day scene from the original draft - with the galaxy/wormhole and the scientists discussing the discovery with the government officials - doesn't exist in the final version, which sucks. I really liked that opening. Then again, it may still be intact. It's hard to tell from some of these reviews.
TCTTS
AG
From Kristopher Tapley, the same critic/journalist I quoted above and really like. He's actually seen it TWICE, which apparently makes all the difference....

quote:
It's a shame, though, that he is a filmmaker who holds things so close to the chest (i.e. screenings) that a number of critics who came away negative on the picture and there are quite a few won't have an opportunity to catch it again before needing to file their reviews. Because I imagine some of them would find a number of loose ends either tied up or, at the very least, singed into reconciliation. At least, I did.

http://www.hitfix.com/in-contention/off-the-carpet-enter-interstellar
Bunk Moreland
When it comes to film, there are things I do to get myself ready for a movie going in, to help gauge how I'm going to react coming out. It depends on a lot of things, including director, type of film(arthouse, drama, action, popcorn, comedy, etc.), style, proportion(is it an epic or is it a small budget?) etc. etc.

This does not mean I temper my expectations at all. It just means different movies have different sets of "rules" for me to judge and react to. Sometimes I'm way off base on films and have to adjust on the fly, which is fine.

When Gravity came out last year, I went to see it purely because of who the director was. I knew when I saw that on IMAX, I was going to be in for a visual treat. It blew me away. Was the story simple, somewhat dumb and cheesy/predictable? SURE! But I freaking loved that movie. The storyline played fourth fiddle to the cinematography, setting and the acting. One of my favorite movie going experiences ever, and I gladly admit it was a simple and cheesy storyline.

When I go to see No Country For Old Men, I'm going to have a different sense of how to judge that film. We all do it, but it's best not to get in our own way.

So to save from more rambling...when I think Nolan(who I loved before the Batman trilogy and have since loved more with that, Prestige, Inception, etc.), I see a director who has shown to be the absolute best in the business at delivering an epic movie(see Batman trilogy). I also see a guy who has shown the ability to make a movie that is smart, twisty, and has some heart and soul(See Prestige). I've also seen him show the ability to create a crazy world and walk us through it(see Inception).

With Interstellar, it's almost like this is his chance to finally make his epic, create his crazy world, and include the smart & the heart all in one. Am I expecting some of the dialogue to be a bit cheesy? Sure, it will at times. Am I expecting a few "conveniences" in regards to the "how did they do that?" questions with space travel? Sure. But I'm also totally ok with that, and it's not going to get in the way of how I'd judge the movie.

A lot of these critics love their own voice(or wods) more than anything else. There has been so much hype about how awesome this film is going to be, that I think some of them end up a.) looking for reasons to not be as excited, and b) overhype it, thinking they're going to walk out of the theater and be able to fly. When they can't, they say it "failed to live up to its merits."

This film is not going to change your life. But it's going to be grand, visually stunning, and have a story/heart/personal side that everyone from a 12 year old to a 90 year old will be able to relate to and buy into....all in a movie about space/time travel. That's incredibly challenging to do, but it's going to happen.

Not worried in the least about the people picking apart "issues" they found with it. If the movie is a stinker, I'll come back and let you all know that I was fooled. But I trust Nolan, because he has failed to let me down yet.
TCTTS
AG
This definitely makes me nervous, though. Same exact theater I'm seeing it in...

quote:
First and foremost, anything you've heard about the sound in that packed-to-the-rafters 70mm IMAX screening at the TCL Chinese Theater Thursday night is absolutely true. Take a proprietary IMAX sound mix and speaker configuration that can be pretty inferior and add in the fact that Nolan's mixes tend to be muddied historically (then consider that for some reason the system was turned up to 11) it was a recipe for disaster. I couldn't understand full stretches of dialogue and the IMAX of it all with the pitch darkness of the celluloid (too dark, I'd wager), it just wasn't settling.
TCTTS
AG
Very well said, Bunk.
Aggie_Journalist
AG
Sounds like they've changed some of the original script's stronger points in a bad way. I'll be curious to see Texags reviews once they start coming in, but these early critic reviews have pushed it back to the "it can wait" category in my mind.

I wonder if Neil deGrasse Tyson will take a whack at Intersteller on Twitter like he did with Gravity.
Saxsoon
AG
Considering that an entire scientific discovery about blackholes came out while they were designing the blackhole, I am not to concerned with the veracity of the science at play.
double aught
AG
quote:
So to save from more rambling...
I don't think you succeeded here.
DB Coach
AG
quote:
quote:
So to save from more rambling...
I don't think you succeeded here.
Although the original post was a good explanation, I chuckled at that sentence as well. LOL
Cyprian
AG
I don't put much stock in what the critics think. I've loved many movies they hated and vise versa.
TCTTS
AG
A critic for Vulture, followed by another of my favorite critics...

Bilge Ebiri @BilgeEbiri
I guess some of you were disappointed by INTERSTELLAR. Your loss. I found it unfathomably beautiful & moving.

Matt Zoller Seitz@mattzollerseitz
@BilgeEbiri Me, too.
TCTTS
AG
A really, really good half-hour Q&A with Nolan and the main cast from The Hollywood Reporter...

http://www.hollywoodreporter.com/news/watch-hollywood-reporters-full-interstellar-744354
Wrec86 Ag
^ should I wait until after watching the movie to watch the clip?
RyanAg08
AG
quote:
I don't put much stock in what the critics think. I've loved many movies they hated and vise versa.

I wonder if the "hey look at me" part of today's society has anything to do with it. Some critics just want to be the one to tear down something that has the potential to be grand and epic rather than creating an objective opinion that goes with the flow.
SUPAGGIE
Movie critics are dumb. Most of them just want to use fancy words to make themselves sound smart and original when describing their experience with a movie, but in reality, nobody cares what they think.
TCTTS
AG
quote:
^ should I wait until after watching the movie to watch the clip?

No it's completely spoiler free.
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
A week.
Removed:09182020
AG
ONE.MORE.DAY.
TCTTS
AG
After almost two years of waiting, 24 hours from now many of us will actually be sitting in the theater watching Interstellar. Cannot wait.
Saxsoon
AG
Couldn't get opening night, but Wednesday ain't too shabby
DB Coach
AG
quote:
After almost two years of waiting, 24 hours from now many of us will actually be sitting in the theater watching Interstellar. Cannot wait.
No doubt, you certainly got me dying to see it....I just wish I could be there this week. Ahhh, I will have to be patient...
hunter2012
AG
quote:
TCTTS
AG
^ Ha!

I will say that I continue to read very lukewarm reactions from people I like/trust, with only the occasional "best movie experience of the year" type tweet here and there also from trusted bloggers/journalist types. So I don't know what to think. All I know is my expectations aren't near as high as they once were, but hopefully that's a good thing. I think I'm at a nice point where I'll be able to be completely objective, and soak it in for exactly what it is, good or bad (or amazing).
Removed:09182020
AG
Just sent you an email TCTTS. Been annoying my wife non-stop the last week about how stoked I am for Chinese Theater IMAX tomorrow.
TCTTS
AG
^ Just replied.
Phat32
AG
Very excited - have tempered expectations. Have to wait until the wife is back to go, so I will probably be avoiding this thread.
Bunk Moreland
going Thursday night.

/bartscottgif
wangus12
AG
Tickets to the showing tonight in Dallas
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
Have to wait 5 more days. Gonna avoid this thread till then. Godspeed, gents.
TCTTS
AG
It's actually probably best if I start a separate spoiler thread. We'll keep this one for general reactions, and then use the new one for deep discussion/analyzation. I want everyone to be able to read reactions here without worry of being spoiled. I'll get the new thread going here in a bit...
Brian Earl Spilner
AG
That works.
Phat32
AG
Great idea TCTTS.
Wrec86 Ag
was gonna post the same idea. This thread is insanely long, so a new spoiler thread would be perfect.

I have tickets for Friday, so I'll just have to avoid it for 2 or 3 days.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.