Tell your UCS stories here.

212,034 Views | 747 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by peddler
PlanoAg98
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Quote:

Thanks to all TexAgs who spoke with me.
Does TexAgs get a shout out on the front page of the WSJ? May I suggest the below.

Big Cat `93
AG
I have a WSJ sub. This is quite the read.
Post removed:
by user
TyHolden
AG
where is it?

edit: i read the whole thing without a sub. texags got no pub.

https://www.wsj.com/articles/the-billionaire-behind-the-biggest-u-s-tax-fraud-case-ever-filed-11614785519
mavaggie08
AG
I worked at ReyRey in 2007 repairing computers. Weirdest place I ever worked. I wanted to make some cash for a flat panel TV for my apartment I'm an engineer, so the aptitude test, which surprised me, was no big deal.I started the next week.
I vividly remember getting my first computer. They didn't really tell me much instruction-wise other than these were computers for car lots. I opened up this computer case, and I'm sure had a very confused look. One of my new co-workers asked "What's the problem? You look confused. They told us you were smart."

"The problem", I said, " Is I'm not sure what this is" as I pointed to a port on the motherboard. "I think it might be an ISA port, but I've never actually seen one." The other workers seemed surprised. "It's an ISA port, you're right" , he said. "No way. I read about these once in a computer history class but, why on Earth would you repair this? It's junk, at least 20, maybe 25 years old." The team proceeded to explain that the systems were leased, and unless the customer wanted to pay for an upgrade, they would just service it and send it back. They had 286 computers, a product of the early 1980's, being serviced. With time I saw some newer late 90's systems come through. I never could figure out why they would pay me $11 an hour to sand cases, run diagnostics and swap out parts on a computer that could have been replaced by the cheapest POS off the shelf. The software could have been emulated and serial interface ports were still a thing, so I never understood the hangup.
The Fife
Quote:

In one of Mr. Tamine's early performance reviews, included in a court filing, Mr. Brockman instructed him to keep records on "an encrypted USB dongle carried in a different location in luggage when traveling" and to run a software program called "Evidence Eliminator."

This is hilarious, it's like keeping all of his documents in a folder called "Definitely NOT Tax Fraud"
CARGUY
Worked for UCS from 1992-2000 in the Help Desk, RSC and finally sales. Lots of tough situations but also super training for a great career in the automobile world. I never told a lot of the stories because people wouldn't believe them anyway. I was on the "Hostile Ex Employee" list for years. No question BB was incredibly smart but I guess it's never enough for some people. I was employee 2273. Guess some things stay with you forever.
GTdad
Seriously, one of the most interesting threads I've ever read. One of my sons worked there for a few months between high school and reporting to USMC boot camp in April of 2020. The stories he would tell made it seem sufficiently weird that I wondered if my son was exaggerating for effect. For instance, his first task was, without any real experience, to assemble computers. That was almost the least of it. He could never figure out the purpose of most of the stuff that went on there and the leadership didn't seem fully, you know, human.

Interesting news about their CEO.
TyHolden
AG
Is there a linkedin Former UCS group?
CARGUY
Yes, UCX (X is for ex-UCS employees).
chjoak
AG
FYI... Bob is dead
CARGUY
Yep, he got away with it after all.
peddler
AG
Bump

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.