Tell your UCS stories here.

212,512 Views | 747 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by peddler
lindseyis1
How long do you want to ignore this user?
I worked at Sourcenet Solutions (when it was in the same bldg.) and yes, you do literally have to clock out, get in your car, and drive around the block in order to smoke.
SF2004
AG
Well...reading this burnt half my afternoon here at work...why let it die

btw...Whats the grenade story?
Jock 97
quote:
Wow. I read it all after linking over... I worked there for 2.5 years... Summer of 99 to Winter of 01. I put in very little effort. I brought humor to the office. Total suckfest, but they worked with my schedule. Also what was up with all the Everquest dorks there?

I worked in MFG. Manufacturing--we started on the first floor by S/R then moved upstairs by Keytr.

If you worked in MFG (Manufacturing/Assembly)during this time you will remember:

1. "The List" - This was a comprehensive list of everyone who worked in MFG during that time period--it continued on until J.C. left--or so I was told. Stars by those who were fired.

2. Hackeysack during the nightshift; Summer 99.

3. Shari doing cartwheels in front of the camera, then sweeping the same spot for 20 minutes.

4. Tracy cutting the lock off my drawer as I was hoarding tools and wasn't there to unlock it.

5. The love triangle between Daniel, Travis and Daniel's wife...that never existed.

6. Happy and Chad getting a warning for drinking a couple of tallboys on a break.

7. The infamous cookie stealing and Grant from the bench being "Serious as a heart attack".

8. Mick jokes.

9. "It's all a dream...."

10. "Spazz" crying after Daniel hit him.

11. "Spazz" crying after Travis hit him.

12. Christy reading the lunch menu.
**Mmmm MEXI-CALI RICE!! wtf?

13. Kandi breaking out into hives.

14. Roxanne the drama she brought.

15. Amanda and Mark getting into it.

16. RJ-45's.

17. Back when the clock was on 6 minute intervals...clocking out in and out to maximize pay.

18. The banning of solder animals.

19. Wasting time melting flux.

20. Mick's quest.

21. Married Steve and his 18 year old foreign exchange student wife.

22. Sending new guys to get "ID10T"s from parts.

23. Late nights of partying ending at the brownstone apartment hot tub.

24. The "Suits."

25. Felix aka Feliz, not washing his hair for 30+ days.

A whole section on Sabala:

1. Sabala's relationship with the dirty sock.

2. Sabala and the gallon challenge.

3. Sabala and release form wings.

4. Sabala and the weight loss challenge.

5. Sabala and his bins of pr0n.

6. Buying Sabala Leathernecks and Gorilla Farts at the dry bean.

I worked in Equipment Control, but my work station was in the back next to the Parts/Receiving Personnel (worked @ UCS 09/99-09/02). I miss the forklift races in the warehouse, home run derby with cellophane wrapper ball, work chair hockey, and the most fun ever was when Keytrak first started storing their key system mainframes in the warehouse. They stored like 40 units during the initial delivery and once all the packaging was removed, there was literally a 15 foot tall mountain of bubble-wrap and foam that was about 30 feet in width. We climbed up to the top shelf in the warehouse (some 25 feet or so) and did swam dives into the bubble-wrap & foam.

Anyone ever venture into shipping area where Faterkowski worked (may still be there)? hey had the foam guns and they used boxes and plastic to form foam couches and chairs. Greatness.

Damn, I miss UCS at times. Despite the ironclad fist rulers, the comedic relief was never ending.
drivinwest
AG
Huh Jock. I wonder if I know you. I worked at PTS from 98-2000 before moving over to tech writing. I played golf with Faterkowski several times.

Carl used to crack me up. He was just so gung ho.
rhoswen
AG
I worked for Dianne.
drivinwest
AG
What group were you in, ABC? Dianne isn't ringing a bell.
swimmerbabe11
how is this thread still alive?
Jock 97
Probably so, drivinwest. UCS was a small world.
FinMick
AG
Happy--how the hell are you? I just saw your response... We need a MFG reunion at redstone hot tub...or was it brownstone? Whatever...
texas_aggie_99
I worked there from Summer of 99-Summer of 00 in some kind of help desk. Just sat there for 3 hours a day doing my homework while getting "IT experience". I never knew how to fix any of that UCS software except for remapping printers every so often.

I do remember having chair races in the Y2K disaster room!
Pahdz
http://groups.myspace.com/ucsalumni

my buddy was really bored, and asked i dig this damned thread up and post this link.
CTZips03
A buddy of mine interviewed for a job there about two months ago. He mentioned something about having to take an assessment test for an interview. I asked him if it was UCS and told him to run like hell.

edit: and they still have the car in the lobby, from what I understand.

[This message has been edited by CTZips03 (edited 4/14/2006 3:52p).]
lancevance
Why is this place always advertising to fill up jobs, and interviewing anyone and everyone that comes by? Surely, it's not growing so fast. It does this in Houston and College Station. Then it goes another step and uses head hunters to find them candidates and has them advertise the company as confidential. Really confusing.
SJEAg
AG
Wow, not sure how I ever missed this thread.

Worked part time for UCS while in school...from 96 until 99. Was a bench tech working on CRT boards who basically did nothing but solder 4 hours a day. It was a crappy job, but for a college job it was okay I guess. I always worked from 6am to 10am...which made me a zombie for all my classes.

Never realized how odd the company was until after I left. I recall the crazy door codes, people getting fired for not going to the x-mas party, the no tobacco thing, and the interview exams that made me feel like I was trying to join the CIA. Worked with a lot of cool people though (even all the immediate supervisors were cool, hung out with a few of them)...that was probably why I lasted as long as I did.

[This message has been edited by Aggie1999 (edited 4/15/2006 9:31a).]
oakleeman
I thought that maybe this thread had been deleted. It doesn't show up when you do a search for "UCS" in the General forum. I luckily found it as a link in another thread.

I never did get my exit interview. They probably knew that I would have been honest instead of telling them what they wanted to hear.

[This message has been edited by oakleeman (edited 4/28/2006 1:04a).]
allthingsrock
I went in when I first came to A&M, and they told me to come back for some test. Then I came home to see if anybody on here had any feedback and found this thread. I didn't go back.
MrsUncoverAg
AG
i have a roommate that is working there

she is now dating her coworker who has a cubicle barely even 3 feet from hers, oh yea there is the possibility that he may get a promotion and be her superior
oakleeman
I used to hear quite a few stories of people getting promoted because of who they were "dating". That seems to be one of three ways of getting promoted there.
splits
Carl Johnson once killed a bear with a hammer.
SilverStarPub
Incredible posts. Thinking about sharing my experiences. Was lead to this board due to the news that UCS is purchasing Reynolds and Reynolds in an all cash (!) transaction reportedly over $2 Billion. (Wow! I kind of knew that BB was loaded, but...)
royal tenenbaum
What a Classic Thread!

"Well, everyone knows Custer died at Little Bighorn. What this book presupposes is... maybe he didn't."
-Eli Cash

[This message has been edited by royal tenenbaum (edited 11/4/2006 5:30p).]
splits
ttmft
Netbreaker
AG
Some of you might find this amusing...

reynoldsalumniclub.blogspot.com/

[This message has been edited by Netbreaker (edited 12/17/2006 10:50p).]
AW 1880
AG
The page you are looking for is currently unavailable. The Web site might be experiencing technical difficulties, or you may need to adjust your browser settings.
EEAg07
AG
wow!
thats all i have to say
KVB07
AG
never worked there but this thread is funny as ****

------------------------------------------------------

"We all saw McCoy have success early tihs year when his OL didn't let anyone touch him - but we also saw him take a few hits and exhibit about as much toughness as my 4 year old niece."
-------------------------------------------------------
jumanjimr
Looking for an IT job in B/CS. Thanks to this thread, it won't be at UCS. Torbush wow.
Jill
AG
ttt
AgDrumma07
AG
thanks aggay07
rhoswen
AG
thanks!
houston03
Is this the place with the race car in the lobby?
reb,
AG
I know someone working for R&R now who is trying to find a new job after realizing what a BS nazi culture UCS has. I would personally find it rewarding to see texags try and take it down.
Diyala Nick
AG
I worked there for maybe 6 weeks one summer. I had this job where people from car dealerships would call in with software glitches. I would listen to their problem, look it up in a manual, and have to read them a code. The codes were always alpha-numeric; example 'WKC9987' should be read as 'Whiskey Kilo Charlie 9 9 8 7'....I decided this was no fun, and used my own alpha words. For example; 'WKC9987' became 'Wallabee Kicker Crocodile 9 9 8 7'.

The customer was not pleased.

One summer day I left for lunch and didn't return. I felt no explanation was needed.
RayRay99
AG
quote:
Is this the place with the race car in the lobby

Yes
AliasMan02
AG
quote:
I would personally find it rewarding to see texags try and take it down.
Don't even think this is outside the realm of possibilities.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.