***********2023-2024 San Antonio Spurs Thread********************

187,721 Views | 3419 Replies | Last: 3 hrs ago by Guitarsoup
jteagle
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Guitarsoup said:

Bronny:

6'1.5" barefoot so 6'3 with shoes
6'7.25" wingspan
210 lbs
40.5" vertical
2nd place after Karaban in on the move shooting with 76%. Knecht and Castle at 72% and Reed at 60%.

I want Karaban in the 2nd round.
Guitarsoup
AG
We have two picks. I'd be thrilled with Karaban.
Ag Natural
AG
FTAG 2000 said:

jteagle said:

Don't eff this up Wright.

The overall consensus is this is the weakest draft in years nobody having star potential. There's supposedly GMs saying having the #1 pick is like starting at pick 10 in most years.

So I'd find it hard to take any critism seriously.
jteagle
AG
Ag Natural said:

FTAG 2000 said:

jteagle said:

Don't eff this up Wright.

The overall consensus is this is the weakest draft in years nobody having star potential. There's supposedly GMs saying having the #1 pick is like starting at pick 10 in most years.

So I'd find it hard to take any critism seriously.

Agreed. We all have our favorites but there are no guarantees this year. Plus we're talking about 19 year old kids mostly who haven't had much development.

When it's all said and done, I will trust the organization.
superunknown
AG
This was eye opening

flashplayer
AG
Hot take here but Karaban is a guy I would draft if I'm any of the teams in the 20s who made the playoffs and none of the other available players in this shallow draft fill a glaring need. Shooting like that doesn't come along all that often in 6'8". He would be an immediate contributor on a good team. There's not many players like that in the 20s most years.

I doubt we get him unless we move up with the 3rd pick. Maybe he gets picked up early 2nd round but I'd bet it's in the first couple picks. ~40/90 3pt/FT guys that are 6'8" will sell in a draft like this
Guitarsoup
AG
flashplayer said:

Hot take here but Karaban is a guy I would draft if I'm any of the teams in the 20s who made the playoffs and none of the other available players in this shallow draft fill a glaring need. Shooting like that doesn't come along all that often in 6'8". He would be an immediate contributor on a good team. There's not many players like that in the 20s most years.

I doubt we get him unless we move up with the 3rd pick. Maybe he gets picked up early 2nd round but I'd bet it's in the first couple picks. ~40/90 3pt/FT guys that are 6'8" will sell in a draft like this
I woudn't mind an all UCONN draft, tbh.

4 - Castle
8 - Clingan
35 - Karaban
48 - Cam Spencer or Newton

Clingan isn't my first choice, but I think he is going to be Poeltl or better pretty quickly. If Reed, Matas, Risacher are gone and we don't want to stash Salaun in Austin for 3 years, I think it could make sense. We need a guy to body up on Jokic, and I don't think Wemby is that guy for 40 minutes a game in the playoffs.
Guitarsoup
AG
Sure seems like a lot of smoke that Jarrett Allen is gone and either Garland or Donovan is gone.

jteagle
AG
Every mock draft I've seen has Karaban going in the 2nd round and only one has him going before the Spurs pick. I definitely like to see them take him.
Enzo The Baker
AG
I don't see a world where Mitchell signs an extension with the Cavs. My money would be on a Mitchell sign and trade.
Enzo The Baker
AG
jteagle said:

Every mock draft I've seen has Karaban going in the 2nd round and only one has him going before the Spurs pick. I definitely like to see them take him.

He did really well in the shooting drills at the combine.
Guitarsoup
AG
Dillingham skipped the vertical and all the strength and agility testing at the combine.
Sher Thing
AG
I believe he didn't participate due to an ankle sprain.
Guitarsoup
AG
Sher Thing said:

I believe he didn't participate due to an ankle sprain.
Thanks, didn't hear that. I guess Rob was out for an ankle sprain and Terrence Shannon was out due to an ankle monitor.
West Texan
AG
Guitarsoup said:

flashplayer said:

I woudn't mind an all UCONN draft, tbh.

4 - Castle
8 - Clingan
35 - Karaban
48 - Cam Spencer or Newton

Clingan isn't my first choice, but I think he is going to be Poeltl or better pretty quickly. If Reed, Matas, Risacher are gone and we don't want to stash Salaun in Austin for 3 years, I think it could make sense. We need a guy to body up on Jokic, and I don't think Wemby is that guy for 40 minutes a game in the playoffs.

Unless we have a trade lined up with someone else that wants to move up for Clingan, I'd be pissed if we picked him.
Sher Thing
AG
Clingan is going to be a good player. If he falls to 8, I wouldn't have a problem picking him. I don't think he will make it to 8 though and the fit doesn't really make a lot of sense so I don't see it happening.
Guitarsoup
AG
Clingan wouldn't be my ideal pick at 8, but I am also not convinced he gets past Charlotte at 6 if we don't pick him at 4.

1. Hawks - I think Sarr is locked in.
2. Wizards - they don't need a big wing with Kuz, Deni, Kusbert, Poole, and Bilal. So Clingan, Topic or Dillingham makes the most sense. I still think it is Topic, but Clingan makes sense, too.
3. Houston. If they keep it, Reed Sheppard makes the most sense. High IQ, team defense, size can be hidden next to Amen Thompson and Dillon Brooks and he is an elite shooter. Don't think Clingan makes sense with Sengun and Adams.
4. Spurs. Risacher. Maybe Matas, though I don't believe in him. Castle.
5. Pistons. I think they are alrady trying to move Ivey and Dillingham between Ausar Thompson and Cade makes sense and they need his shooting. Matas at PF also makes sense. With Stewart and Duran, Clingan doesn't make sense. They need shooting and there aren't many shooters. Knecht could make sense, but he is a win now player and Detroit is a win-never team.
6. Hornets. Don't think Clingan makes sense with Richards and Williams. I think it is Holland or Castle to be a POA defender since LaMelo is awful. Castle makes more sense since he can run the point for the 60 games a year LaMelo is injured.
7. Portland. No guards. They have Ayton and Robert Williams, so a center doesn't make sense. So Knecht, Cody, Holland, Matas, Salaun or Risacher makes the most sense.
8. Spurs again.
9. Grizzlies. Clingan absolutely taken here if he falls.

If Castle is on the board at 6, I would trade Charlotte their lottery protected pick next year to swap 6 and 8.

I think Clingan is going to be Jakob Poeltl, but possibly better, and he won't need 6 years to develop like Jakob. He's worth the 8th pick if Castle is off the board and you don't want to wait 4 years to see if Salaun is going to develop. The West still runs through Jokic and you need that body for guys like him.
Sher Thing
AG
Yeah, I think he's better offensively then Poeltl and he will be a problem defensively. If he falls to 8 it wouldn't be a bad pick at all. He could give good minutes behind Wemby in the short term and even if the long-term fit isn't there you will be able to easily move him for good assets down the line.
Guitarsoup
AG
There is a lot of serendipity in the Raptors trading a first for the pending free agent Jakob Poeltl to make a playoff run, missing the playoffs two years in a row then the Spurs using the pick to get a better version of Jakob Poeltl.
Earth Rider
AG
Guitarsoup said:

Clingan wouldn't be my ideal pick at 8, but I am also not convinced he gets past Charlotte at 6 if we don't pick him at 4.

2. Wizards - they don't need a big wing with Kuz, Deni, Kusbert, Poole, and Bilal. So Clingan, Topic or Dillingham makes the most sense. I still think it is Topic, but Clingan makes sense, too.
3. Houston. If they keep it, Reed Sheppard makes the most sense. High IQ, team defense, size can be hidden next to Amen Thompson and Dillon Brooks and he is an elite shooter. Don't think Clingan makes sense with Sengun and Adams.
5. Pistons. I think they are alrady trying to move Ivey and Dillingham between Ausar Thompson and Cade makes sense and they need his shooting. Matas at PF also makes sense. With Stewart and Duran, Clingan doesn't make sense. They need shooting and there aren't many shooters. Knecht could make sense, but he is a win now player and Detroit is a win-never team.
6. Hornets. Don't think Clingan makes sense with Richards and Williams. I think it is Holland or Castle to be a POA defender since LaMelo is awful. Castle makes more sense since he can run the point for the 60 games a year LaMelo is injured.
7. Portland. No guards. They have Ayton and Robert Williams, so a center doesn't make sense. So Knecht, Cody, Holland, Matas, Salaun or Risacher makes the most sense.
8. Spurs again.

If Castle is on the board at 6, I would trade Charlotte their lottery protected pick next year to swap 6 and 8.

I think Clingan is going to be Jakob Poeltl, but possibly better, and he won't need 6 years to develop like Jakob. He's worth the 8th pick if Castle is off the board and you don't want to wait 4 years to see if Salaun is going to develop. The West still runs through Jokic and you need that body for guys like him.
You think Topic falls that far if the Wizards don't take him? Rissacher at 4, then Topic or Castle at 8 would be a great draft for the Spurs.
Guitarsoup
AG
Earth Rider said:

Guitarsoup said:

8. Spurs again.

You think Topic falls that far if the Wizards don't take him? Rissacher at 4, then Topic or Castle at 8 would be a great draft for the Spurs.
I do think he falls that far and I don't think he is a fit on the Spurs. He is a pick and roll ball handler that finishes below the rim and has no shot and gives no effort and shows no ability on defense other than jumping passing lanes from time to time. In addition, he hurt his knee in January and was supposed to miss 3-4 weeks, but missed 4 months, then just hurt the same knee again.

Atlanta has Trae/DJM/Vit/Kobe
Washington has Tyus, who is a UFA
Houston has Amen and FVV.
Spurs need a PG, but Topic's a project with no shot or defense.
Pistons have Cade and Ausar.
Hornets have LaMelo. Want another ball dominant PG with injury concerns?
Blazers have Scoot, Brogdon, Simons, etc
Grizzlies have Ja Morant
I think Wizards take Topic, he falls to Utah at 10, or someone trades up for him.
superaggie73
AG
Guitarsoup said:

8. Spurs again.

As-Rockets fan (and no expert), these are the options, I see at 3:

It's too high for Sheppard, so I think Castle or Risacher if keep pick. I would love Sheppard, but I don't think they take him here.

Trade back to 7 for Brogdan and hope Sheppard falls…if not maybe Knecht

Trade back to 11 for Caruso and hope Knecht falls

Basically I think they want another veteran defender that has offensive skills and can run the 2nd team and can use this pick in a poor draft class to pick him up. And secondarily pick up a young shooter as well after the trade back. If you keep the pick, it's always the Houston MO to go biggest upside and that is probably Castle or Risacher.
Guitarsoup
AG
The problem is I don't think there is much value in trading up in this draft. I would expect 3+green to be traded for a better player.

Chicago wants way more for Caruso. And with their team, they would probably love if Knecht fell to them. They were asking for two firsts at the deadline.

I think Brogdon has more value than just moving up 4 picks. He's a solid piece for a good team and an ending contract. I think the Blazers want to receive an additional 1st rounder for him.

The problem with Castle to Houston is he is more of the same - he can't shoot right now. You have Brooks, Amen, FVV and adding Castle to that? It is a lot of POA defenders with not a lot of shooting.

Risacher is big and could be a good D&3 guy, but the Rockets have so many players there already. He's kind of a 3/4 and Rockets have Jabari, Eason, Brooks, Cam, etc.
superaggie73
AG
Guitarsoup said:

The problem is I don't think there is much value in trading up in this draft. I would expect 3+green to be traded for a better player.

Chicago wants way more for Caruso. And with their team, they would probably love if Knecht fell to them. They were asking for two firsts at the deadline.

I think Brogdon has more value than just moving up 4 picks. He's a solid piece for a good team and an ending contract. I think the Blazers want to receive an additional 1st rounder for him.

The problem with Castle to Houston is he is more of the same - he can't shoot right now. You have Brooks, Amen, FVV and adding Castle to that? It is a lot of POA defenders with not a lot of shooting.

Risacher is big and could be a good D&3 guy, but the Rockets have so many players there already. He's kind of a 3/4 and Rockets have Jabari, Eason, Brooks, Cam, etc.

You're not wrong on not much value in trading up. Just things I've heard here in town as possible trade scenarios and Brogdan and Caruso being Udoka type players.

If you take Castle at #3, you get a future FVV replacement…maybe as early as next year depending on his development and how the team does. The Next year FVV will be on an expiring deal and very tradeable. I honestly see Castle as a taller more athletic FVV.

And with the glut of 3/4, I think Brooks is gone after this year and Cam eventually takes over as the starting 2 over Green. Although, I also see Amen becoming a point forward at the 3 kind of like an old Jalen Rose role.

Edit to add: and I'm not trying to take over this thread with Rockets talk…you were just discussing other teams and the Rockets board isn't near as active as this one so thought I'd chime in.
Guitarsoup
AG
superaggie73 said:

Guitarsoup said:

You're not wrong on not much value in trading up. Just things I've heard here in town as possible trade scenarios and Brogdan and Caruso being Udoka type players.

If you take Castle at #3, you get a future FVV replacement…maybe as early as next year depending on his development and how the team does. The Next year FVV will be on an expiring deal and very tradeable. I honestly see Castle as a taller more athletic FVV.

And with the glut of 3/4, I think Brooks is gone after this year and Cam eventually takes over as the starting 2 over Green. Although, I also see Amen becoming a point forward at the 3 kind of like an old Jalen Rose role.
Udoka traded for Brogdon in Boston, which is why that rumor is there. But Portland is going to ask for a 2025 pick.

I think they drafted Amen to be the playmaker of the future and signed FVV to mentor him and develop him. Amen can't shoot, so what is his role if he isn't the PnR ball handler? Another non-shooting POA defender next to him doesn't make a lot of sense in Castle.

Caruso is basically every coach's dream. But Chicago is asking for two firsts for him.

I don't think Brooks is gone at all. He is kind of a headache and has 4 years guaranteed. I think Houston does make some type of trade with that glut there, but hard to say what. But Brooks doesn't have a ton of value to other teams. He might be a negative asset to a lot of teams with his inefficient offense, his antics, and his big contract.

Cam is 6'7 232lbs and can't pass, he definitely isn't a SG. He's a 3/4 combo.

I do think the Rockets make a trade, but it is probably based around Green+3 for a player.

You are totally welcome to talk basketball and even the Rockets here. We aren't uptight about that. More basketball content is better and what the Rockets do at 3 obviously affects us.
Earth Rider
AG
Makes sense. You seem to have done your homework.

More than anything, I hope the Spurs are able to draft Rissacher. I would trade 4 and 8 for a 1 or 2 to get him. The Hawks are keeping their pick though, and all signs point to Sarr.

Rissacher is no sure thing, but he seems to be the most complete as a prospect and a good fit with Wemby. The fact that Wemby knows and likes his play is the biggest reason to draft him, plus he was the consensus #1 pick for months.
superaggie73
AG
Thank you for the welcoming invite and talking basketball. It's such a fun time of year.
Enzo The Baker
AG
Earth Rider said:

Makes sense. You seem to have done your homework.

More than anything, I hope the Spurs are able to draft Rissacher. I would trade 4 and 8 for a 1 or 2 to get him. The Hawks are keeping their pick though, and all signs point to Sarr.

Rissacher is no sure thing, but he seems to be the most complete as a prospect and a good fit with Wemby. The fact that Wemby knows and likes his play is the biggest reason to draft him, plus he was the consensus #1 pick for months.

I wouldn't say he's the most complete prospect. His playmaking/shot creation is extremely limited. He doesn't really have the ability to put the ball on the floor on close outs according to some scouts. But this team needs 3 and D role players so if he can be elite at that at his size, I'm on board.
Guitarsoup
AG

Spurs legends Wembanyama and Nando De Colo represent.
Guitarsoup
AG
Guitarsoup
AG
https://www.espn.com/nba/insider/story/_/page/NBADraft24-40145332/2024-nba-draft-combine-prospects-workout-highlights-measurements-stats-more

I wont' pay for Insider, but Givonay apparently said its likely the Spurs take Salaun at 8.

Wemby endorsing him: "I can trust this guy to get better and to work out like crazy"

Wouldn't hate Castle at 4 and Salaun at 8.
LawHall88
AG

Quote:

Pay close attention to Tidjane Salaun

While all NBA eyes were on the combine in Chicago, an notable development was happening in Paris, France, where Tidjane Salaun had a career-best performance in the most important game he has played to this point in the season. With 19 points, 8 rebounds, 3 assists and 1 steal later, the gym was buzzing about Salaun's highlight-laden performance, which included deep 3s, monster dunks, important offensive rebounds, clutch late plays and incredible energy and activity level to help his Cholet team win Game 1 of the French league playoffs against No. 2 seed Paris. One of the best teams in European basketball, Paris is fresh off winning a EuroCup championship and was in the midst of a 25-game winning streak.

Digging into the film, Paris' strategy of not guarding Salaun at all on the perimeter backfired, as the 6-11 teenager stepped into NBA range 3-pointers confidently, broke free off cuts for above-the-rim finishes, and used his tremendous physical tools to crash the paint and secured multiple extra possessions for his team.

After talking with numerous NBA teams about Salaun this week, it seems he's much closer to being a top-10 pick than the late lottery candidate he is currently ranked in the ESPN Top 100 at No. 10. Several teams are flagging the San Antonio Spurs at No. 8 as a real landing potential spot for Salaun. The French connections with Victor Wembanyama are obvious, as the two share an agent and know each other dating back to 2017 when their sisters played together at the FIBA U-16 European Championship.

Salaun clearly didn't hurt his draft stock, and a big contingent of NBA executives is now en route to France to take in the rest of the LNB quarterfinals, where both him and potential No. 1 pick Zaccharie Risacher are competing against Parisian-based teams, making for one-stop scouting shopping for lottery teams. -- Givony
https://www.espn.com/nba/insider/story/_/page/NBADraft24-40145332/2024-nba-draft-combine-prospects-workout-highlights-measurements-stats-more
TheNotoriousP.I.P.
AG
With rumors swirling that Darius Garland might be on the outs in Cleveland, how would y'all feel about making a move for him and what price what you be willing to pay?
AA
AG
Not sure the Spurs would have the option on what to pay him. He's getting like $40 mill a year…and he's worth nowhere near that. I think the Cavs would be super happy to offload that salary.
TheNotoriousP.I.P.
AG
By price I meant trade price

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.