***********2023-2024 San Antonio Spurs Thread********************

196,923 Views | 3596 Replies | Last: 2 hrs ago by Enzo The Baker
Guitarsoup
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Chipotlemonger said:

Cappo said:

Chipotlemonger said:

Kawhi isn't his guy anymore. The fact that he is standing up for a guy who shafted the whole franchise speaks volumes. Pop's priorities aren't in the right place. Time to move on. I say this as someone who generally likes Pop. Obviously we all appreciate what he has done for the Spurs, but he's out of touch.
yeah thinking maybe it's time for him to retire even though he's been fantastic forever

This seems like sarcasm I'm guessing. Anyways, he hasn't been "fantastic" forever. We've had some rough few years as of late.
How many teams have 3 Hall of Fame players retire and don't have a few rough years after?
bam02
AG
Probably not very many, but still no reason to put up with a dick head condescending coach who puts out a garbage product and chastises fans in the middle of a blowout.
FTAG 2000
AG
Ag Natural said:

BTW, I just watched Pops presser. He basically said Kawhi seems to play better when he gets booed. The stats will tell you that's true. He kills the Spurs. Maybe if we all cheer for him he'll start missing shots

He knows he messed up. The crowd booed Kawhi harder after Pop's groveling.

Yeah Kawhi lights us up. So does every other great wing because our D sucks and we haven't drafted worth a **** at the SF spot since nephew left.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Blaming the booing at all on a big Kawhi performance is a joke. The game is played inside of the lines on the court. You are professionals, so maybe act like it and take care of your business.

I've only got to watch a few games this year being on the west coast. It's embarrassing how bad it's gone outside of some random couple games in Phoenix.
TheNotoriousP.I.P.
AG
Let's also remember our starters average age is 22 and they are playing with 0 primary ball handlers
bam02
AG
That was my exact thought when I heard the post game presser where he further embarrassed himself… he knew he messed up and is just too much of an ass to do anything but berate the reporter for asking questions.
FTAG 2000
AG
TheNotoriousP.I.P. said:

Let's also remember our starters average age is 22 and they are playing with 0 primary ball handlers

Maybe if Spurs fans stop booing, Pop could spend less time worrying about the feels for opposing players and more time turning Sochan into a serviceable NBA PG.
Guitarsoup
AG
FTAG 2000 said:

TheNotoriousP.I.P. said:

Maybe if Spurs fans stop booing, Pop could spend less time worrying about the feels for opposing players and more time turning Sochan into a serviceable NBA PG.
Sochan will never be a serviceable NBA point guard.
Old Army Metal
AG
Yo why does this team always look like they just met for the first time during shootaround
Guitarsoup
AG
Old Army Metal said:

Yo why does this team always look like they just met for the first time during shootaround

Because half of them can't buy alcohol yet and should be playing college ball.
Old Army Metal
AG
Zach Collins just rolling out of bed in the morning like "I'm gonna end 7 possessions with missed straight-on 3-pointers and not get any rebounds."
Old Army Metal
AG
"Feeling cute, might make Dario ****ing Saric look like a hall of famer"
Guitarsoup
AG

They probably misspelled his name because Pop said not to boo.
Enzo The Baker
AG
Guitarsoup said:

We are really messing up this season in every way possible.
MookieBlaylock
AG
Or are we tanking 2?

Guitarsoup
AG
MookieBlaylock said:

Or are we tanking 2?

Starting Sochan at PG is more tanking than the Mavs not playing Luka.
FTAG 2000
AG
Guitarsoup said:

FTAG 2000 said:

TheNotoriousP.I.P. said:

On that we totally agree.
FTAG 2000
AG
Guitarsoup said:

First Jersey was the Bill Land spelling.
Ag Natural
AG
FTAG 2000 said:

Guitarsoup said:

FTAG 2000 said:

TheNotoriousP.I.P. said:

On that we totally agree.

Must be nice to be able to predict the future. Can you go ahead and map out the career of every 20 year old in the league?
MookieBlaylock
AG
Better chance of Lonnie Walker making the hall of Fame than sochan being anything more than terrible
TheNotoriousP.I.P.
AG
Y'all are blind if you can't see Sochan's potential, he has actually been much better the past few games. There's only 11 dudes that have averaged 10/5/4 before they could legally purchase alcohol and he's one of them. We are third in the league in assists and around the middle of the league in open 3's created. Our problem is we turn it over a lot (which should be expected of a young team), are one of the worst shooting teams in the NBA (looking at you, Zach and Wemby), and are the worst at getting to the line in the entire league. The only one of those problems that Tre would fix is the turnovers, defenders don't chase him over screens either so he wouldn't improve the spacing issues. The +/- numbers the past few games paint a different picture than they did earlier in the season. I still think Sochan could be our starting SF of the future.

The biggest disappointment to me is Zach. I am comfortable saying he is not going to be a long term starter for us, and I'm not super pumped about that extension we just handed him. He's our oldest starter and probably also our worst. He insists on taking the highest volume of 3's he has his whole career, even though he is shooting under 30% on them and has been mashing people in the paint when he chooses to be more aggressive. It also seems like every Center and slasher in the league looks at his face and sees a big red target. He needs to either be on the bench or off the team next year, because he is not who we need next to Wemby.
Guitarsoup
AG
Sochan has a lot of potential. I think he can be a 3/4 guy that puts up 15-18/8/6 guy with solid shooting numbers and plays elite defense on 4 to 5 positions. Hard to quantify how great that could be, but could be a better version of Khris Middleton for us.

Or maybe a half-Rodman, half-Diaw.

But what he is not and never will be is a point guard. Diaw wasn't a point guard, but that didn't mean he wasn't invaluable. Same with Khris Middleton, and for his career in the playoffs, Khris has averaged 20/6/5.

---------

Couldn't agree more than Zach has been a giant liability. He is taking a lot of threes, but for the most part they are open threes. 32% of his FG attempts are wide open threes. Only 1.1% of the shots he takes are guarded threes. Nearly all his threes are catch and shoot.

His numbers suck, but I've got no problem with him taking wide open catch and shoot threes. If/when he hits his stride like he did at the end of last season, he can be deadly there.
Ag Natural
AG
Zach is a fine center and he will hit enough 3s to at least be a threat. What we don't need is to have a non shooting big playing with Wemby. It's pretty obvious our best lineups have Wemby at center... but I think they are very reluctant to have him play a ton of minutes at that position this early in his career.
Enzo The Baker
AG
Another game another crappy third quarter. Why do I still tune into the second half?
Guitarsoup
AG
Enzo The Baker
AG
Unreal defensive line by Wemby tonight. 12 losses in a row. I don't care who we've played and how young we are. That's embarrassing. And it's on coaching.
Ag Natural
AG
Enzo The Baker said:

Unreal defensive line by Wemby tonight. 12 losses in a row. I don't care who we've played and how young we are. That's embarrassing. And it's on coaching.

Please stop watching. The purpose of this whole season is to get the young guys experience and get a high draft pick. The coaching is doing exactly what the organization wants. Is that so hard to understand?
Guitarsoup
AG
22 points
11 rebounds
6 steals
4 blocks
3 turnovers
4 fouls
7-17
2-5
6-7
Enzo The Baker
AG
Ag Natural said:

Enzo The Baker said:

Please stop watching. The purpose of this whole season is to get the young guys experience and get a high draft pick. The coaching is doing exactly what the organization wants. Is that so hard to understand?

I don't buy that they are purposely trying to sacrifice wins for growth and a high draft pick. I think that's BS. I think it's truer that we don't have a pulse of how to use this group.

I'm sorry that I want to see entertaining, hard fought basketball from a team that should theoretically better than last year with a once in a generational talent. And I also don't want that generational talent to be part of a historically bad Spurs team to start off his career. That stuff matters. And so does winning.
Enzo The Baker
AG
Guitarsoup said:

22 points
11 rebounds
6 steals
4 blocks
3 turnovers
4 fouls
7-17
2-5
6-7

In 25 mins.
Ag Natural
AG
Enzo The Baker said:

Ag Natural said:

Enzo The Baker said:

I don't buy that they are purposely trying to sacrifice wins for growth and a high draft pick. I think that's BS. I think it's truer that we don't have a pulse of how to use this group.

I'm sorry that I want to see entertaining, hard fought basketball from a team that should theoretically better than last year with a once in a generational talent. And I also don't want that generational talent to be part of a historically bad Spurs team to start off his career. That stuff matters. And so does winning.

They aren't sacrificing wins. They are prioritizing development. It's up to the young guys to play better. I've seen some improvement. It's a tough league right now and wins are hard to come by. If that's all you're looking at then your misguided. Pop isn't going to get fired for losing 60 games no matter what you post on Texags.
Guitarsoup
AG
West Texan
AG
Enzo The Baker
AG
In his limited time on Jokic, Victor had a block and a few steals. You don't see that against Jokic, really ever. Obviously I think he would have been in foul trouble if he was guarding Joker the whole time, and Jokic would have adjusted but Victor is so special on defense.

Edit: Jokic Postgame

Quote:

I think he's 19 years old. He's not getting scared or getting tired. He's playing hard and he wants to be good. Like I said, I think he's playing hard, and he doesn't take it for granted.

He's making mistakes, which is normal. I think the media around him doesn't help, but he's going to get used to it because the guy is 19 years old.

He's going to change the game, 100 percent. He's already on that path, so for all of the guys just enjoy and watch the show and let the guy change the game.
Enzo The Baker
AG
Victor is the first rookie since Shaq (Feb. '93) to have 20 points 10 Rebs and 10 stocks.
First Page Last Page
Page 29 of 103

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.