***********2023-2024 San Antonio Spurs Thread********************

197,047 Views | 3599 Replies | Last: 53 min ago by Guitarsoup
Enzo The Baker
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Guitarsoup said:

Yep. Only one game up on Portland and one game back from Charlotte.

https://www.tankathon.com/pick_odds

OKC, Denver, and Detroit left. Detroit has essentially clinched worst title. Detroit has Bulls, Mavs, and us.

Charlotte has Hawks, Celtics, Cavs and only the Celtics arent fighting for position.

Portland has Warriors, Rockets, Kings.

Also, don't look now, but my boy Scoot is at 43/36/85 shooting with 18p/8a/1.3s over his last 10 games.

If we go 1-2 (Detroit is up in the air depending on if we shut Wemby down) and Portland loses out, it will be a coin flip for 4th. Portland's best chance to grab a W is against the rockets who could choose to shut it down.

I don't see any incentive at all for Charlotte to win any games. Trae returns tonight for the hawks. I think bottom three has left the building for the spurs.
Guitarsoup
AG
Enzo The Baker said:

Guitarsoup said:

Yep. Only one game up on Portland and one game back from Charlotte.

https://www.tankathon.com/pick_odds

OKC, Denver, and Detroit left. Detroit has essentially clinched worst title. Detroit has Bulls, Mavs, and us.

Charlotte has Hawks, Celtics, Cavs and only the Celtics arent fighting for position.

Portland has Warriors, Rockets, Kings.

Also, don't look now, but my boy Scoot is at 43/36/85 shooting with 18p/8a/1.3s over his last 10 games.

If we go 1-2 (Detroit is up in the air depending on if we shut Wemby down) and Portland loses out, it will be a coin flip for 4th. Portland's best chance to grab a W is against the rockets who could choose to shut it down.

I don't see any incentive at all for Charlotte to win any games. Trae returns tonight for the hawks. I think bottom three has left the building for the spurs.
Yeah, I really don;t mind being at 4, but rather not drop to 5.

Next year is more complex, because I think a lot of teams are going to tank. I dont think we are going to make big moves to get better, but do we grow to 30 wins and get a much lower seed?

I see Detroit, Charlotte, Washington, Portland, and Utah outright tanking. Chicago maybe if they can get people to take LaVine.

If NOLA doesn't accept the Lakers pick this year, and LeBron leaves, LA can't tank. But I could see a scenario where NOLA takes the pick, LeBron walks to Cleveland who drafts Bronny #23 and the Lakers trade AD and tanks for Cooper because Silver will freeze that damn envelope.

Clippers, Hawks, Houston, and Brooklyn can't tank without getting their picks back. I don't think the Raptors will, and only the two worst teams are guaranteed top 6 picks.

30 wins puts us at 8th this year. Just above Utah and below Brooklyn. But Memphis and Toronto (below that) should be better.

I also dont think anyone's draft picks this year will come in and be an immediate difference maker like Wemby and Alabama Josh Jackson were. But both the Spurs and Hornets still sucked anyway.
Enzo The Baker
AG
I think this is the most likely scenario. And at this point it's what I'm hoping for as of right now.
Guitarsoup
AG
Enzo The Baker said:

I think this is the most likely scenario. And at this point it's what I'm hoping for as of right now.

That's what I have been preaching. Two years of tanking with a superstar, just like OKC. Then an improvement year, then a contender year.

OKC had two years under 25 wins with SGA, then a 40-win year, then a 50+ win year this year. Same trajectory.
Guitarsoup
AG

Spurs by 30.
West Texan
AG
Enzo The Baker
AG
Looks like Vic is in the lead to me.
Guitarsoup
AG
Jrue got a 4y135M extension from Boston. Starts next year and player option for 4th year.

His last contract with Milwaukee was a 4y135M deal.
Enzo The Baker
AG
Darn. That's a good deal for him and Boston. How can they pay all these dudes and will they be able to give White a substantial extension now?

Edit: Obligatory 'wtf was Milwaukee thinking?'
Guitarsoup
AG
Enzo The Baker said:

Darn. That's a good deal for him and Boston. How can they pay all these dudes and will they be able to give White a substantial extension now?

Edit: Obligatory 'wtf was Milwaukee thinking?'
NBA 3pt champion Grayson Allen, 3 firsts, and Jrue for Dame. Dame makes 49, 59, and 63M the next three years.

It's still gonna be tight for White. He's got this year and next year on the contract. The the summer of 25, Jayson Tatum can optout and White will be a FA. Brown will get 53, Kristaps about 30, Jrue about 32, and Prichard about 7. Tatum would be a 35% supermax, so that would start at 54M. That would be 176 for Kristaps, Jrue, Brown, Tatum, and Prichard. Cap would be 155M. Second Apron would be 208.
superunknown
AG
I didn't realize how many of our end of the bench dudes had headbands.
Enzo The Baker
AG
And just like that your San Antonio Spurs are once again tied for the 3rd worst record after Charlotte beat Atlanta in Trae Young's return.
LawHall88
AG
Enzo The Baker said:

And just like that your San Antonio Spurs are once again tied for the 3rd worst record after Charlotte beat Atlanta in Trae Young's return.

Problem is it's gonna be tough for us to lose to Detroit on the last day of the season, even with the limited roster, if Wemby plays.
Guitarsoup
AG
LawHall88 said:

Enzo The Baker said:

Problem is it's gonna be tough for us to lose to Detroit on the last day of the season, even with the limited roster, if Wemby plays.

Detroit will have locked up worst so maybe they unleash Cade?
jteagle
AG
Sidy has another good game. Team looked terrible last night but it is valuable to see what some of these young players have.
FTAG 2000
AG
Will be in SA for the weekend, planning to go to the game. Hoping they play Wemby.

Seeing him get a quad on the last day of the season on fan appreciation day would be pretty dope.
TheNotoriousP.I.P.
AG
Even SGA didn't really want any part of him at times. He's not just strong, he has absurd lateral quickness too at that size. He's obviously extremely raw and will need to develop at least some semblance of a jumper to really make it into the rotation, but imo he has top 5 perimeter defender in the NBA upside. I also love that he's always looking to make a good pass (he has great zip on them too) and crash the boards. If he can get to 35% from 3 then I can see him being a mainstay of our rotation for a really long time. That is a huge if because he has not shown anything yet suggesting that he will become even a below average shooter, but I can't help but think he's worth a roster spot regardless due to that defensive tenacity. Or he could grow another couple of inches and be a highly switchable PF.

I also was intrigued by what I saw from Blake yesterday, he was horribly inefficient but he was getting to the basket with ease even if he wasn't finishing them once he was there. That will come with time, I remember Dejounte being the same way his first couple of years here and he slowly started converting more and more of those. But just like Sidy he's going to need to park himself in the gym shooting threes this offseason, because sometimes he just stands there with a runway of space in front of him and doesn't shoot it.

Everyone else looked like crap from beginning to end, but can't fault anyone too much given that our top 4 guys are out.
Guitarsoup
AG
TheNotoriousP.I.P. said:

Even SGA didn't really want any part of him at times. He's not just strong, he has absurd lateral quickness too at that size. He's obviously extremely raw and will need to develop at least some semblance of a jumper to really make it into the rotation, but imo he has top 5 perimeter defender in the NBA upside. I also love that he's always looking to make a good pass (he has great zip on them too) and crash the boards. If he can get to 35% from 3 then I can see him being a mainstay of our rotation for a really long time. That is a huge if because he has not shown anything yet suggesting that he will become even a below average shooter, but I can't help but think he's worth a roster spot regardless due to that defensive tenacity. Or he could grow another couple of inches and be a highly switchable PF.

I also was intrigued by what I saw from Blake yesterday, he was horribly inefficient but he was getting to the basket with ease even if he wasn't finishing them once he was there. That will come with time, I remember Dejounte being the same way his first couple of years here and he slowly started converting more and more of those. But just like Sidy he's going to need to park himself in the gym shooting threes this offseason, because sometimes he just stands there with a runway of space in front of him and doesn't shoot it.

Everyone else looked like crap from beginning to end, but can't fault anyone too much given that our top 4 guys are out.
I love Sidy and his mindset in games. He just needs some offensive IQ and a corner shot and we are good to go. I could see him being a solid screener, too.

I hope stuff with Wesley and Sidy connect in the next couple years. Both have some elite athleticism. Blake is so quick he could cause some real problems for people with some more skills.
Guitarsoup
AG
Ran a mock draft on FanSpo. Sign me up for this draft.

M.C. Swag
AG
lol Toronto taking another white wing player from KU who can only shoot 3s would be iconic
Guitarsoup
AG
M.C. Swag said:

lol Toronto taking another white wing player from KU who can only shoot 3s would be iconic

Some of those are weird. Portland takes Clingan and Flipkowski when they have Ayton, RobWilliams, Jeremi Grant, and took Kris Murray last year.

Hornets go with Dillingham so they can have the worst defensive backcourt in the NBA with Ball and Dilly.

But... Hornets and Blazers.. It checks out.
M.C. Swag
AG
lol also Detroit taking another G that can't shoot
Guitarsoup
AG
M.C. Swag said:

lol also Detroit taking another G that can't shoot
Atlanta: we suck with Trae and DeJounte... maybe if we run out Trae, DeJounte, and Isaiah Collier!
Sher Thing
AG
Waiting for the 25' draft is probably the right move before making any huge future decisions. I would still love if the Spurs could grab one of those older past their prime stars in free agency on a loaded 2 year deal though. Someone like Klay or Jrue or something might be able to be swayed to take a crazy above market 2 year deal. It won't affect the future but still give the team a boost for next season. I just don't see how they have another tank year like this season.
Guitarsoup
AG
Sher Thing said:

Waiting for the 25' draft is probably the right move before making any huge future decisions. I would still love if the Spurs could grab one of those older past their prime stars in free agency on a loaded 2 year deal though. Someone like Klay or Jrue or something might be able to be swayed to take a crazy above market 2 year deal. It won't affect the future but still give the team a boost for next season. I just don't see how they have another tank year like this season.

Jrue just took 4y135M
Sher Thing
AG
Ahh missed that.
Enzo The Baker
AG
Bring Klay to the team that loved him in the 2011 draft work out. I'll always wonder if the Spurs would have drafted him or Kawhi if both were available at 15.
Enzo The Baker
AG
Wemby available tomorrow vs Jokic. Let's make this a good one in what could be his last game of the season.
Guitarsoup
AG
Enzo The Baker said:

Bring Klay to the team that loved him in the 2011 draft work out. I'll always wonder if the Spurs would have drafted him or Kawhi if both were available at 15.

Klay was #1, Kawhi was #2 and Butler was #3
superunknown
AG
LawHall88
AG
Kentucky may be close to hiring Mark Pope as its next coach, which is potentially significant because rumor is Reed Shepperd has indicated he would return to UK for his sophomore season and not enter the draft if Pope is hired.
superunknown
AG
Wikipedia is quick
Guitarsoup
AG
LawHall88 said:

Kentucky may be close to hiring Mark Pope as its next coach, which is potentially significant because rumor is Reed Shepperd has indicated he would return to UK for his sophomore season and not enter the draft if Pope is hired.

With being marked as a top ten pick, staying another year would be idiotic
Guitarsoup
AG
I don't have insider, so shamelessly stealing this from Reddit.

https://www.espn.com/nba/insider/story/_/id/39906470/nba-draft-2024-projecting-30-best-prospects

Major differences between Pelton's model and consensus:
[ol]
  • Views Sheppard, Edey, Clingan, and Sarr as elite prospects worthy of a #1 pick many years.
  • Views Knecht as nearly undraftable and is extremely low on Matas, Cody Williams, and Risacher (rating them as sub second round picks as well. Cody Williams doesn't even rank as a third round pick due to his horrible defensive stats).
  • Much lower on Holland, Dillingham, Topic, Castle, Missi, Salaun, Collier, and Devin Carter than consensus
  • Much higher on Kyshawn George, Johnny Furphy, Ivisic, Kobe Johnson, Kam Jones, and Payton Sandfort than consensus.
  • [/ol]
    Nothing very surprising for stat based models.
    Enzo The Baker
    AG
    Absolutely. With his size, he could be in the 20s in a regular draft and that might be generous.
    First Page Last Page
    Page 75 of 103

subscribe Verify your student status
    See Subscription Benefits
    Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.