***********2023-2024 San Antonio Spurs Thread********************

197,433 Views | 3603 Replies | Last: 11 min ago by Ag Natural
superunknown
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
There's been some real sick alien ish he's on tonight.

I know there's only like 30 games left in the season but sometimes I still think...Holy crap I can't believe it happened...he's a dang Spur and he'll be one as long as he wants to be.
Guitarsoup
AG
Guitarsoup
AG
Of the 61 players to attempt 90+ pull up threes, Wemby is 7th in efficiency.

Wemby is currently hitting 41% of his pull up threes.
Enzo The Baker
AG
Rough night again tonight. No way we run it back with this group next year.
Guitarsoup
AG
Enzo The Baker said:

Still better than this happening.

Sher Thing
AG
I mean nothing is good but our point guard play is sooo bad.
Ag Natural
AG
Enzo The Baker said:

Why keep saying this? It's virtually impossible to have the same team next year. So why are you so worried about that?
Guitarsoup
AG
Sher Thing said:

I mean nothing is good but our point guard play is sooo bad.
Maybe we should have Barlow or Mamu play point.
Guitarsoup
AG
Wemby with another 5x5.

17 points
13 rebounds
5 assists
5 turnovers
5 fouls
Enzo The Baker
AG
Ag Natural said:

Enzo The Baker said:

Why keep saying this? It's virtually impossible to have the same team next year. So why are you so worried about that?

8 of our 9 rotational players are still under contract next year.
Enzo The Baker
AG
Guitarsoup said:

Wemby with another 5x5.

17 points
13 rebounds
5 assists
5 turnovers
5 fouls

If Sochan didn't get an assist and pick up a foul, could have had a perfect 0 stat like.
FTAG 2000
AG
Enzo The Baker said:

Ag Natural said:

Enzo The Baker said:

Brian Wrong.
superunknown
AG
I don't think anyone (including PATFO) believes the top 8-9 in rotation this year are the same top 8-9 next year. I'd guess at least 2 of those top 8-9 get shuffled into the DNP-CD listing most nights. Do i think Julian Champagnie is an NBA level player? Of course I do. On a playoff team, he's probably one of the farthest guys down at the end of the bench. He starts for the Spurs for now, though.
LawHall88
AG
Guitarsoup said:

Enzo The Baker said:

Still better than this happening.

Guitarsoup
AG
Make the 8 seed next year, guys!
Ag Natural
AG
Enzo The Baker said:

Ag Natural said:

Enzo The Baker said:

Yeah and we might have 2 top 7 picks in the draft. I'm guessing those two would get into the rotation.
superunknown
AG

Guitarsoup
AG
superunknown said:

That block was just so ridiculous.

It's like me playing with my son
TheNotoriousP.I.P.
AG
Wanted to do some cap math to see what we might be able to do this offseason.

We are currently at $118.4 million in guaranteed salaries for next year (this also includes Julian and Bassey who are unguaranteed, could clear $5.5 million by cutting these two), before taking into account rookies and Barlow. If we assume that we get the number 1 and 7 picks in the draft, and we use all 4 of our picks, that would put us at $136.9 million in salaries with a full 15 man roster. I assume that Barlow is going to get a deal similar to Julian/Charles once Morris is cut, so that would put us at around $140 million and 16 guys. The cap is projected to be $141 million.

I think we may be in for a disappointing offseason, unless Vic puts significant pressure on the FO. In 2025, Tre comes off the books, Zach Collins becomes easier to dump since he'll be an expiring, and both Devin and Keldon's cap numbers dip down (which almost offsets the increasing scale on Wemby/Sochan/Blake/Malaki/Sidy combined). We should be looking at $30 million+ in cap space that offseason even after you account for all of our incoming draft picks. At that point we may be able to both swing a big trade (Zach+Keldon is already $35 million and then you can stack picks onto that to bring in a high end player) as well as utilize our cap room. In addition to staying bad for one last year to take advantage of the strong 2025 draft. It's very possible that you could go into the 2025 offseason looking like this:

C: Vic, Zach expiring, Bassey unguaranteed
PF: Sochan, Barlow hopefully
SF: Keldon, Julian unguaranteed
SG: Devin, Branham, Sidy unguaranteed
PG: Blake
2 top 10 picks from the 2024 draft
2 top 10 picks from the 2025 draft (assuming Atlanta moves off of one of Trae/DJ for a picks-based deal)
Any overachievers from the 5 second round picks we have in 2024/2025
$30 million or more in cap space - current committed roster cap is $100 million for 2026 and the cap is projected to be $155 million, it's definitely feasible that all our first rounders combine for somewhere around $25 million.

Potential Unrestricted FAs: LeBron, PG, Jrue, Jamal Murray, Brandon Ingram, Bruce Brown, Malcolm Brogdon, Myles Turner, Lonzo Ball, Derrick White, Lauri Markannen, OG Anunoby, Caruso, KCP, Zubac, Terrance Mann, Horford, Caleb Martin, Gary Payton II, Nickeil Alexander-Walker
Player Options that might get declined: Jimmy Butler, Gobert, Kyrie, Tatum, Middleton, Julius Randle, Jalen Brunson, Aaron Gordon, Naz Reid, Dorian Finney-Smith, Bobby Portis, Matisse Thybulle, Pat Connaughton
Restricted FAs that move the needle but might not get auto-matched if we offer high enough: Jalen Green, Jalen Suggs, Giddey, Kuminga

Obviously most of that list is going to get dwindled down by the time next offseason arrives, but still has the potential to be a strong FA class and we should have stockpiled enough talent to be a dangerous team. We could even feasibly dump Zach Collins and have enough space to sign a legit max player like Tatum if he is looking to get out, and we should be able to offer enough to at least get a high level starter like Aaron Gordon or Derrick White. I'm thinking the best thing to do may be to just stay the course and keep our powder dry for one more year.
Guitarsoup
AG
I think when we gave Zach an extension, it became clear that our plans this off-season is to MAYBE use the MLE, MAYBE make a trade, but more than likely our plans are two developmental years and hope for great picks in 2024 and 2025.

The only thing that throws a wrench in that is if a trade we can't pass up happens, which would be something like swap 2024 picks with ATL, give ATL back their two picks and swap, plus Graham, Branham, and Wesley for Trae.

If Atlanta asks for a lot more, we tell them to go pound sand and hope they do something really stupid and those three picks we have look even better than they do now.

Otherwise, we can theoretically have a bit more than the MLE available this summer. Cutting Bassey and Julian for cap savings is unlikely because both are minimally paid more than the minimum.
Guitarsoup
AG
DTP02
AG
Wemby is so dang good so dang early that I don't know how you don't try to put a competitive team around him next year.

I'm not saying you go all in on next year, but I don't see how you spend another year playing for the lottery.

As great as Wemby is and will be next season, the difference might just be one move for a vet who knows how to win in addition to the draft picks they'd be adding.
Enzo The Baker
AG
Guitarsoup said:

I think when we gave Zach an extension, it became clear that our plans this off-season is to MAYBE use the MLE, MAYBE make a trade, but more than likely our plans are two developmental years and hope for great picks in 2024 and 2025.

The only thing that throws a wrench in that is if a trade we can't pass up happens, which would be something like swap 2024 picks with ATL, give ATL back their two picks and swap, plus Graham, Branham, and Wesley for Trae.

If Atlanta asks for a lot more, we tell them to go pound sand and hope they do something really stupid and those three picks we have look even better than they do now.

Otherwise, we can theoretically have a bit more than the MLE available this summer. Cutting Bassey and Julian for cap savings is unlikely because both are minimally paid more than the minimum.

Agree that we should not overpay for Trae. I'm really not high on any of these PGs in this year's draft. I would rather draft a two way wing (Risacher/Williams) and a shooter (Sheppard/knecht). If we don't get Trae, get a stop gap like tyus and try our hand with up to 4 lottery picks and free agency in 2025.
Guitarsoup
AG
DTP02 said:

Wemby is so dang good so dang early that I don't know how you don't try to put a competitive team around him next year.

I'm not saying you go all in on next year, but I don't see how you spend another year playing for the lottery.

As great as Wemby is and will be next season, the difference might just be one move for a vet who knows how to win in addition to the draft picks they'd be adding.
Because if you overpay to get a legit second star, you end up with an all-time great player, an all-star, and a bunch of nobodies and you can't win it all without more pieces.

2025 is expected to be one of the deepest and most talented drafts and we can possibly have FIVE top 15 picks in that draft to go with our top 4 pick in 2024.

So unless something you can't pass up gets thrown in your lap, you keep the powder dry, you maybe pull in a solid veteran with high BBIQ and good leadership (KCP, Bruce Brown, Kyle Anderson?) and work on developing cohesion and ability of your young players.

Then in 2025, you have easily tradable assets in Collins and Keldon, plus you still have extra picks going forward. My guess is Keldon is mostly made expendable in the 2024 draft, because we get ZacRis or Williams.
superunknown
AG
Excellent post.

Quote:

In 2025, Tre comes off the books, Zach Collins becomes easier to dump since he'll be an expiring, and both Devin and Keldon's cap numbers dip down (which almost offsets the increasing scale on Wemby/Sochan/Blake/Malaki/Sidy combined)

Say what you will about Brian Wright (and by extension PATFO) and the drafting issues and how recent 1RPs have panned out for us, but this is something that's overlooked. This has all been by design and we definitely went into tank commander mode but they've also laid a path for getting out of the lottery no matter how the balls shook out last summer.
Guitarsoup
AG
Listened to some podcast talking about Trae Young's injury and it is a finger injury where he is out a month, then will be reevaluated. They say he says it needs more time to heal and is effectively done with the Hawks.
Enzo The Baker
AG
Effectively done for the season or with the franchise?
Guitarsoup
AG
Gonna get Kentucky Curry with the Poeltl pick.

Enzo The Baker
AG
Guitarsoup said:

I'm interested to know if he could run point at the nba level. I haven't watched any Kentucky but supposedly he runs some point for them.
Guitarsoup
AG
Enzo The Baker said:

Guitarsoup said:

I'm interested to know if he could run point at the nba level. I haven't watched any Kentucky but supposedly he runs some point for them.
I think he can. But the big thing about him is that he can obviously play off-ball, too because he might be the best shooter in the draft.

If you watch Kentucky, he runs point to close the games. He has earned that over DJ Wagner and Rob Dillingham, which says a lot.

Even if we don't see him being the PG of the future, he seems to have really great BBIQ, has an elite shot, elite range, and does decently enough on defense.

He isn't huge, but he is more portable than a lot of PGs because he can play off ball and be a shooter. Worse case scenario, he's a more talented Patty Mills.
Guitarsoup
AG
Looks like the Hawks are sending their star player to have surgery in a 3rd world country.

https://instagr.am/p/C33TW1XpeKh
Enzo The Baker
AG
Knecht dropped 39 against #11 Auburn.
Guitarsoup
AG

Enzo The Baker
AG
Patty waived by Atlanta.
DTP02
AG
Enzo The Baker said:

Guitarsoup said:

He was the most impressive guy on the floor to me when we played UK, and that was on a team that had several long, bouncy, skilled future NBA players.
First Page Last Page
Page 58 of 103

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.