***********2023-2024 San Antonio Spurs Thread********************

187,660 Views | 3419 Replies | Last: 1 hr ago by Guitarsoup
Guitarsoup
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I think Barlow fell through the cracks because he was one of the few G-League instead of college guys.

As a senior in HS, he was a 6'5 SG and measured 6'10 at the combine with a 7'3 wingspan last year. He's still adjusting to his growth and just turned 20 a month ago.

Supposedly Barlow has added 10-15lbs of muscle to settle into more of a 5 spot. He was 221 at the combine last summer.

https://instagr.am/p/CuQq4sZrSkb

Last year in Austin, Barlow averaged 16/8 with 1.7b on .553/.304/.775 shooting.
jteagle
AG
Replay of the game today at 6:30 on NBA TV for anyone interested. We did our celebrating early today so I'm probably going to check it out.
Vinny
HummingbirdSaltalamacchia said:

I know it's not going to happen, but I'm coming around to the possibility of Dame provided the deal isn't completely awful. Obviously Wemby, Sochan, Vassell are untouchable. Might put Branham there. But Keldon, McBuckets some filler and a boatload of picks I'd be ok with. Just think we need a PG, he provides that, pairs well with Wemby on paper, he provides some much needed veteran leadership and think he would be great for the young guys. I dunno. I don't hate the idea like I did initially

But again, it's not going to happen
You're right it's not going to happen so why even waste your breath on this? Put yourself in Dame's shoes...why would he want to come to SA at this stage? Maybe 2-3 years down the road but not now.
Guitarsoup
AG

this was really good
TexAg1822
AG
My dumba$$ just realized we started the new season thread. Apologies for the posts in the old thread on Monday

As mentioned, Champagnie and Barlow were impressive. Champagnie can maybe be an actual player for us in the rotation.

I also thought Sidy's defense was pretty stellar. Blake Wesley moves too fast for his own good imo, hoping he can settle in better tonight and not try to force as much. He's so quick he just needs to reign it in

Looking forward to tonight's game. Know it doesn't mean much in the grand scheme of things but always enjoy Spurs basketball
jteagle
AG
Just some observations from the game.

I thought it was interesting looking at Charlotte's summer league roster compared to the Spurs. They have Brandon Miller, 2nd overall pick, Nick Smith Jr, 27th pick this year that many thought was a steal, James Bouknight, 11th pick in 2021, Kai Jones 19th pick in 2021, Amari Bailey who was the 41st pick this year and Bryce McGowans who was the 40th pick last year.. So their starting lineup was made up of all drafted players, 4 of which were in the first round and one of their reserves was also drafted.

IN contrast, the Spurs have one first round pick(Wesley) and one second round pick(Cissoko) and alot of undrafted players. Yet in the game, the Spurs came out on fire and actually embarrassed the Hornets. It was pretty obvious from the tip that the Spurs players had a higher basketball IQ. The Hornets probably had more individual talent on the floor but that didn't translate to good play.

I think that says alot about 1) the type of players the Spurs look for and 2) the development that takes place in the organization. It also shows why some teams will never be very successful in the league.

Enzo The Baker
AG
KOC mentioned that the Spurs worked up an offer for Brook Lopez but were outbid by the Bucks (and the fact they also signed Robin as well). KOC went on to say it could be a sign that the Spurs could try to be competitive faster than expected (as it relates to Dame) but I don't necessarily buy it.
TexAg1822
AG
West Texan
AG
Enzo The Baker
AG
West Texan said:

We all know they are going there for Champagnie.
Enzo The Baker
AG
Lowe said Spurs kept going back and forth about offering Reaves a sheet. Ultimately decided not to.
TexAg1822
AG
superunknown
AG
Unprotected pick swap
Enzo The Baker
AG
Take on an expiring contract for what could be a juicy draft pick. Spurs betting on Mavs losing Luka.
Guitarsoup
AG
Guitarsoup
AG

Dallas doesn't have a 2024 second (or first).
Dallas has their own in 2025.
Dallas doesn't have a 2028 second.

Spurs have NOP or Chicago; Lakers; Spurs in 2024
Spurs have Spurs, Toronto, Chicago 2nds in 2025.
Spurs have Spurs and Miami 2nds in 2028.
Enzo The Baker
AG
I guess we don't know if the Spurs are giving up any seconds yet.

If not, I think it's a great deal. I'm also convinced that we could flip Bullock or Osman for assets at the trade deadline.
Guitarsoup
AG
Enzo The Baker said:

If not, I think it's a great deal. I'm also convinced that we could flip Bullock or Osman for assets at the trade deadline.
I think Doug, Graham, Bullock, Osman, and even Stevens have trade value (Stevens isn't guaranteed until January.) Basically 40mm in expirings

Birch may have some value if he can get a medical exception.

Since Dallas doesn't have any seconds, we are giving up at least two. We can make it the worst of our picks from each season if we want. Lakers 2024 is probably worthless. Spurs/Miami in 2028 are both probably worthless.
Enzo The Baker
AG
Guitarsoup said:

Enzo The Baker said:

I think Doug, Graham, Bullock, Osman, and even Stevens have trade value (Stevens isn't guaranteed until January.) Basically 40mm in expirings

Birch may have some value if he can get a medical exception.

Since Dallas doesn't have any seconds, we are giving up at least two. We can make it the worst of our picks from each season if we want. Lakers 2024 is probably worthless. Spurs/Miami in 2028 are both probably worthless.

At the absolute worst, by moving other guys we should break even with seconds and gain a 1st round swap, while preserving cap space. I think it's a great deal.
Guitarsoup
AG

NOT MY PRECIOUS SECOND ROUND PICKS
Enzo The Baker
AG
Guitarsoup said:

NOT MY PRECIOUS SECOND ROUND PICKS

So at least 3 seconds likely?
Guitarsoup
AG
I guess. Trading 4 seconds to take a year of Reggie Bullock and an unprotected swap is something.

Dallas will more than likely be a pretty good team, but there is a chance that Luka gets tired of being mid and demands out by then.
Enzo The Baker
AG
Guitarsoup said:

I guess. Trading 4 seconds to take a year of Reggie Bullock and an unprotected swap is something.

Dallas will more than likely be a pretty good team, but there is a chance that Luka gets tired of being mid and demands out by then.

Yea. I would be surprised if Dallas is anything more than a playin team this year. Could be wrong though.
Guitarsoup
AG
Enzo The Baker said:

Guitarsoup said:

Yea. I would be surprised if Dallas is anything more than a playin team this year. Could be wrong though.
I don't hate their team, but they still have a huge hole at PF/C. Lively likely takes multiple years to develop. Grant Williams is good... but I think he is more of a 25mpg role player kind of good. Powell is a 5-10mpg guy at most. Kleber is always hurt. JaVale is trash. Holmes may or may not be washed. Sacramento sent a first out to dump him and only used him 8mpg last year.
Sher Thing
AG
That's a good trade. Spurs have way too many seconds and trading it for a potential swap in 2030 is a home run. They were bound to sell some just for $ if they kept them. Who knows where Dallas will be in 2030 but if things go as planned the Spurs should be year in year out contenders by then.

Bullock is actually a decent player. Not sure what there plans are with him but if he plays well they could turn him into more picks at the deadline similar to J-Rich.
Enzo The Baker
AG
Champagnie 3/3 for 10 points in first 4 mins. Sit this man and give someone else a chance already.
Guitarsoup
AG
Enzo The Baker said:

Champagnie 3/3 for 10 points in first 4 mins. Sit this man and give someone else a chance already.

He's already better than Kevin Durant
West Texan
AG
Enzo The Baker said:

I'd like to see him and Branham in the games that Wemby plays, then sit all 3 of them.
Guitarsoup
AG
West Texan said:

Enzo The Baker said:

I'd like to see him and Branham in the games that Wemby plays, then sit all 3 of them.

This man is our tank commander?
Guitarsoup
AG
We've gone past the salary floor. Congratulations, everyone!

* Keldon 20
* Doug 13.75
* Wemby 12.2
* Graham 12.1
* Bullock 10.5
* Tre: 9.6
* Collins 7.7
* Birch 7
* Osman 6.7
* Devin 5.9
* Sochan 5.3
* Branham 3.1
* ChampagniePapa 2.8
* Wesley 2.5
* Bassey 2.5
* Mamu 2
* Primo 4.3

That's about $128mm with a floor of $122.4
West Texan
AG
Guitarsoup said:

West Texan said:

Enzo The Baker said:

This man is our tank commander?

West Texan
AG
Game 2 of the California Classic thoughts:

-LA is a way better program than Charlotte. The hornets have a collection of first round talent and they've gotten blown out in 2 games. This was a much better basketball game overall.
-Blake Wesley was way better today. Much more in control and patient, looked really smooth knocking down the pull up jumper, cut way down on his turnovers, and still showed off that explosive first step he has. Defense left something to be desired today, but still a really good showing.
-Champagnie with another game where he was arguably the best player out there. He's just so smooth shooting the ball but also is pretty good around the rim. Does a good job drawing fouls and getting to the line when he attacks.
-Branham is a killer from the midrange. He does a great job of getting to his spot and if he pulls up from that FT line area, it's basically automatic. Knocked down a couple of 3s, and went strong to the basket. He needs to finish better at the rim, but I love aggression he showed at the rim.
-Barlow wasn't as good on the offensive end today, but he still plays really hard and is super active on the defensive end. He outworks guys for rebounds constantly and had several really good blocks at the rim. The way he moves his feet on the perimeter is by far the most impressive thing he did today imo.
-Cissoko has a looong way to go on the offensive end. His form isn't awful but needs some work and his handles are loose. However, he does show some really good passing instincts for the second game in a row. Still did a very solid job on and off the ball on the defensive end.
-Bediako had a very solid game today. He's incredibly raw and moves like a Buffalo on the court, but he attacked the glass and was strong around the rim.
Guitarsoup
AG
TexAg1822
AG
West Texan said:

Game 2 of the California Classic thoughts:

-LA is a way better program than Charlotte. The hornets have a collection of first round talent and they've gotten blown out in 2 games. This was a much better basketball game overall.
-Blake Wesley was way better today. Much more in control and patient, looked really smooth knocking down the pull up jumper, cut way down on his turnovers, and still showed off that explosive first step he has. Defense left something to be desired today, but still a really good showing.
-Champagnie with another game where he was arguably the best player out there. He's just so smooth shooting the ball but also is pretty good around the rim. Does a good job drawing fouls and getting to the line when he attacks.
-Branham is a killer from the midrange. He does a great job of getting to his spot and if he pulls up from that FT line area, it's basically automatic. Knocked down a couple of 3s, and went strong to the basket. He needs to finish better at the rim, but I love aggression he showed at the rim.
-Barlow wasn't as good on the offensive end today, but he still plays really hard and is super active on the defensive end. He outworks guys for rebounds constantly and had several really good blocks at the rim. The way he moves his feet on the perimeter is by far the most impressive thing he did today imo.
-Cissoko has a looong way to go on the offensive end. His form isn't awful but needs some work and his handles are loose. However, he does show some really good passing instincts for the second game in a row. Still did a very solid job on and off the ball on the defensive end.
-Bediako had a very solid game today. He's incredibly raw and moves like a Buffalo on the court, but he attacked the glass and was strong around the rim.

Hit the nail on the head. Especially with Cissoko, lot of work to be done there but I picked up on his passing skills too he's got a keen eye

I love Branham. Dude is a player and I'm excited to see what he can do with this group I think he'll be a mainstay
Ag Natural
AG
Luka still kickin in Summer League had a nice game tonight for Utah.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.