***********2023-2024 San Antonio Spurs Thread********************

196,917 Views | 3596 Replies | Last: 2 hrs ago by Enzo The Baker
Ag Natural
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I dont care about mocks. How many teams are kicking themselves for not taking Pods or Jaquez last year? A redraft would put both in the top 10.

Knect is intriguing to me. He looks like a amazing shooter. You just never know how he'll adapt defensively. He strikes me as a total bust or a guy everyone kicks themselves for passing on.
Guitarsoup
AG
Ag Natural said:

I dont care about mocks. How many teams are kicking themselves for not taking Pods or Jaquez last year? A redraft would put both in the top 10.
I don't think the Spurs will be beholden to mocks (see Ian Mahinmi, Josh Primo, Luka Saminic) but it gives you a good idea of where teams will go.

I don't think the Spurs feel like they HAVE to win in 2024/25, so I don't think a Dalton Knecht that can provide an instant 12ppg would be picker by the Spurs higher than a Matas Buzelis or Ron Holland, who maybe isn't going to be a difference maker in the 24/25 season, but projects better in future.

I liked Pods a lot for us if you look back in that draft thread. But where Pods and Jaquez landed made a lot of sense. GSW and Miami - who are trying to keep the championship window open and win now.

Both have been better than Anthony Black or Amen Thompson, but I don't think Orlando or Houston would trade those players.

I think that is more likely in the 2025 draft. But we have the 24 offseason and draft and 25 trade deadline before that. I can definitely see us doing something like that in the 25 draft, especially if the Chicago and Charlotte picks convert.

Unless we see a major move fall in our lap, I think that we are tanking one more season, then flipping the switch for 25/26.
MookieBlaylock
AG
We need Lonnie Walker back

Enzo The Baker
AG
Guitarsoup said:

Ag Natural said:

I don't think the Spurs will be beholden to mocks (see Ian Mahinmi, Josh Primo, Luka Saminic) but it gives you a good idea of where teams will go.

I don't think the Spurs feel like they HAVE to win in 2024/25, so I don't think a Dalton Knecht that can provide an instant 12ppg would be picker by the Spurs higher than a Matas Buzelis or Ron Holland, who maybe isn't going to be a difference maker in the 24/25 season, but projects better in future.

I liked Pods a lot for us if you look back in that draft thread. But where Pods and Jaquez landed made a lot of sense. GSW and Miami - who are trying to keep the championship window open and win now.

Both have been better than Anthony Black or Amen Thompson, but I don't think Orlando or Houston would trade those players.

I think that is more likely in the 2025 draft. But we have the 24 offseason and draft and 25 trade deadline before that. I can definitely see us doing something like that in the 25 draft, especially if the Chicago and Charlotte picks convert.

Unless we see a major move fall in our lap, I think that we are tanking one more season, then flipping the switch for 25/26.

Spurs + Atlanta odds to land in the top 4 in 2025 is definitely appealing. But Victor signing off on another tanking season seems highly unlikely.

Edit: I do think incremental progress might be acceptable though. Realistically, if our present guys continue to develop, our draft picks work out this year, and we sign a rotational veteran, I think we could be a fringe playin team. Victor will be that good.
Guitarsoup
AG
MookieBlaylock said:

We need Lonnie Walker back

He's hitting 43% of his threes. We actually do.
Enzo The Baker
AG
Knecht going at it against Dillingham and Sheppard right now.
Enzo The Baker
AG
Sheppard is a ridiculous shooter man. He has a hard time getting past people as the primary ball handler (at least in this game) but man he would be an elite shooter.

Knecht's size with his scoring ability would be hard to pass up though.
Enzo The Baker
AG
Sheppard is shooting 54% from 3. Went 7-10 today. Game saving block too. If that guy was 3 inches taller he would likely be the only unanimous top 3 pick in this draft.
LawHall88
AG
Enzo The Baker said:

Sheppard is shooting 54% from 3. Went 7-10 today. Game saving block too. If that guy was 3 inches taller he would likely be the only unanimous top 3 pick in this draft.
Saw someone today compare him to Steve Nash. Seems like an optimistic comparison, but it seems like every game his stock goes up.
Enzo The Baker
AG
I still don't see the primarily ball handler/playmaker but maybe he could develop that. Dude seems to be incredibly fundamentally sound.
Guitarsoup
AG
LawHall88 said:

Enzo The Baker said:

Saw someone today compare him to Steve Nash. Seems like an optimistic comparison, but it seems like every game his stock goes up.
I think of him more as a poor man's Steph Curry. Elite shooter. Secondary Ball handler. Great BBIQ and fundamentals. A bit undersized as a 2. Obviously doesn't have Steph's handles.
Guitarsoup
AG

Quote:

Knecht's size with his scoring ability would be hard to pass up though.

I just think we need perimeter guys that play better defense. Wings that can score and not play defense are easier to find.
Enzo The Baker
AG
I'm sold on Sheppard with the Raps pick as of right now.
Guitarsoup
AG
Enzo The Baker said:

Same. And hope we get Risacher or Williams with the Spurs pick. If both those guys are gone... things are dark to me. If we are 3rd, we have a 26% chance at #6 and an average selection of 4.1.

So if Sarr, Risacher, Cody Williams are off the board, Shep may be my #4 on the big board.
Enzo The Baker
AG
Guitarsoup said:

Enzo The Baker said:

Same. And hope we get Risacher or Williams with the Spurs pick. If both those guys are gone... things are dark to me. If we are 3rd, we have a 26% chance at #6 and an average selection of 4.1.

So if Sarr, Risacher, Cody Williams are off the board, Shep may be my #4 on the big board.

Really want to see what Topic can do upon his return to red star. I haven't heard anything recently on his time table. Should have been back by now.
Enzo The Baker
AG
I think it's safe to say the Champagnie tryout will not lead to a roster spot for him next season.
Enzo The Baker
AG
The Warriors without curry really are the Pistons.
Ag Natural
AG
If the Spurs end up with the Raptors pick, then by far the funniest set of picks is Shepard and Knecht. Two country white boys who can shoot.
Guitarsoup
AG
Ag Natural said:

If the Spurs end up with the Raptors pick, then by far the funniest set of picks is Shepard and Knecht. Two country white boys who can shoot.
Pop admitting he is sad he didnt offer Austin Reaves.
Guitarsoup
AG

Dom Barlow with 19/8/4 in 30 minutes in the win.

Not a single Spur had a negative +/-.
Guitarsoup
AG

Didn't expect that.
jteagle
AG
Enzo The Baker said:

I think it's safe to say the Champagnie tryout will not lead to a roster spot for him next season.

Then he goes out and has his best game of the year against the Warriors.
Guitarsoup
AG
jteagle said:

Enzo The Baker said:

17 points, 7 rebounds, 5 assists on 5-8 shooting

Julian's contract is 4y12M - exactly 3M/year, but only this year was guaranteed. Each new year doesn't get guaranteed until August 1st. So he's just slightly above the league minimum, but easy to cut if we need the roster spot.
Ag Natural
AG
jteagle said:

Enzo The Baker said:

Champagne is such an intriguing prospect. He's got nice size for a 2 guard and a nice short. He just goes through stretches where the confidence and decision making are brutally bad.
Guitarsoup
AG
KOC updated his big board and has my man Reed Shepherd #2.

https://nbadraft.theringer.com/
Enzo The Baker
AG
Wow. That is pretty bold. The Derrick White comp is there although I think White is definitely more athletic with more size. But Sheppard's shooting efficiently on volume can't be overlooked. I think we should grab him if we fall out of the top 4. That's like an easy 2 assists per game added to Wemby's stat line.
Guitarsoup
AG
Enzo The Baker said:

Wow. That is pretty bold. The Derrick White comp is there although I think White is definitely more athletic with more size. But Sheppard's shooting efficiently on volume can't be overlooked. I think we should grab him if we fall out of the top 4. That's like an easy 2 assists per game added to Wemby's stat line.
Yeah, no way I take Shep over Risacher.

I think my big board for the Spurs would be:

1. Risacher
2. Cody Williams
3. Sarr
4. Shepherd
5. Holland
6. Buzelis
7. JaKobe
8. Castle
9. Dillingham
10. Knecht
Sher Thing
AG
I like Sheppard but man this draft is very weak at the top. I also think I would lean Dillingham over him due to higher upside. Maybe Knecht with the Toronto pick.
West Texan
AG
Guitarsoup said:

Enzo The Baker said:

1. Risacher
2. Cody Williams
3. Sarr
4. Shepherd
5. Holland
6. Buzelis
7. JaKobe
8. Castle
9. Dillingham
10. Knecht

I see you've completely fallen off the Topic bandwagon.
Enzo The Baker
AG
Guitarsoup said:

Enzo The Baker said:

1. Risacher
2. Cody Williams
3. Sarr
4. Shepherd
5. Holland
6. Buzelis
7. JaKobe
8. Castle
9. Dillingham
10. Knecht

Definitely. Curious to why Topic fell out of your top 10. Is it because of the injuries?
Guitarsoup
AG
Enzo The Baker said:

Guitarsoup said:

Enzo The Baker said:

1. Risacher
2. Cody Williams
3. Sarr
4. Shepherd
5. Holland
6. Buzelis
7. JaKobe
8. Castle
9. Dillingham
10. Knecht

Definitely. Curious to why Topic fell out of your top 10. Is it because of the injuries?
Maybe he should be there. Can't shoot. No defense. Finishes well at the rim, but that is about it and he is doing it against lower level competition in Serbia. Plus he has been out for 10 weeks now with a knee injury they initially said would be a couple weeks.

If he couldn't shoot, but was a good defender that is one thing. Or a good defender and passer that can't shoot (lonzo Ball close maybe?) that is another thing. But he is bad at all of it. We need a guy that can threaten from the 3pt line, not sag off to double Wemby. And we sure don't need a guy that can't shoot or defend.
Guitarsoup
AG
Devin tonight; 5-8 from three. 0-6 from two.

Our bench shot 2-12 from three.

Victor is back with 27/14/3/2/1
Ag Natural
AG
GSW was clearly embarrassed by the loss on Saturday. They played hard tonight. Wemby looked refreshed and he was a few tough breaks from having a real monster of a game.
Enzo The Baker
AG
Yea. Ball just didn't bounce his way tonight. 4-9 from the line too, which is really uncharacteristic of him.
Enzo The Baker
AG
Raptors blew three 20+ leads night against the nuggets. They also just came off an over time loss. Playing pretty well considering they don't have 3 of their top 4 players. But looks like they will take over Memphis eventually for 6th worst. It'll be a close finish with them and Portland for 5th. Hoping they don't slide to 5th.
First Page Last Page
Page 63 of 103

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.