***********2023-2024 San Antonio Spurs Thread********************

197,352 Views | 3602 Replies | Last: 3 hrs ago by Enzo The Baker
Guitarsoup
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Portland is losing to Rockets and ends the season at Kings.

Both teams currently have 21 wins and the Hornets have 20.

Hornets lost by 32 to a Celtics team that sat all 5 starters. Prichards went for 31/11.

Hornets still have the Cavs, who are fighting for position.
Enzo The Baker
AG
Yea. If Wemby plays next game we will get 5th worst, just behind Toronto ironically. Hopefully the lottery gods reward us so we can grab Castle, our future Murray stopper.
LawHall88
AG
Oh yeah, the game tonight screws with our draft position…
Guitarsoup
AG
If we tie Portland for 5th, we split the lottery balls for the top 4 spots and flip a coin for where we land it neither team gets top 4.

In this draft, I kind of don't care. Even if we get one, Sarr is the choice, but I rather dangle and see if another team would trade for it.

Could we interest Washington in a Sarr for Deni trade?

What about #1 for Herb Jones? He's got 3 years left at under 10% of the cap.

In any event, I kind of don't care. We probably pick 6th and we can probably get Castle, Matas, or Reed there.
LawHall88
AG
I'm not opposed to Jones, but can you play him and Sochan together and still score enough?
Guitarsoup
AG
LawHall88 said:

I'm not opposed to Jones, but can you play him and Sochan together and still score enough?
He can guard 1-4 and hit .414 from three. He isn't creating for you, but he is going to open the floor. He also finishes really well at the rim. The negative is his 3pt shooting is mostly corner, not wings, but it worked with Bowen.

The difficulty would be if we ended up getting a top pick in the lottery next year. What do you do with Bailey or Flagg, Jones, and Sochan?
Enzo The Baker
AG
I had no idea it worked like that. Last year when we tied Houston for 2nd, I thought it was a coin flip with Houston before the lottery. They got 2nd. We got 3rd. But maybe that was different because they still had the same odds for the top 4?
phatbc
Went to the game tonight, first one in many years, what a game! The Wemby back to back to back 3s sequence was awesome. But Mamu and Graham were clutch. What a great crowd.
West Texan
AG
Enzo The Baker
AG
Grapesoda2525
Hopefully the moderators aren't strict on cross posting, but I'm a mavericks fan who posts on the mavs board who comes in peace. If you guys follow major league baseball on here, you know why I'm clarifying all of this beforehand.

THANK YOU for beating the thuggets ( Nuggets) last night, I didn't want to deal with the possibility of playing them in the second round of the playoffs. I'm definitely not overlooking or counting out the Clippers in anyway, we will have our hands full. They won both series against us, but I think we can beat them this time.

A short note on your team to make the post spurs related, I was also grateful that we were able to go 4-0 against your team this year because it pretty much never happens. You guys would always have at least 1 of the big 3 in years past to make sure we lose a game or don't get too comfortable down there ( except game 7 in 2006).

You guys have amazing draft lottery luck. The total opposite of us who have no luck at all. We had to give up an extra first round pick for luka in the year that we tanked. What a crock! But yeah you guys got Wemby and Timmy in the years where you had the worst record. Amazing luck. I am jealous.

Wemby is great and will give us headaches for years to come. Selfishly I hope you guys stink for one more year because if we don't go on a run this year, I bet we go on one next year. We seem to have finally found a starting lineup that most of the league is struggling with.

Anyway, sorry long post. Lots of things going on around us, but not much going on NBA wise today. Season ends tomorrow and thanks again. I think our chances of going to the western finals improved last night as long as the nuggets end up as the 2nd or 3rd seed.
Old Army Metal
AG
And thanks to the Mavs for showing the Spurs how not to build around a young superstar!
Guitarsoup
AG
You're always welcome here to talk basketball. The only people that get a stick up their butt about it is Rockets fans
Enzo The Baker
AG
Old Army Metal said:

And thanks to the Mavs for showing the Spurs how not to build around a young superstar!

While I like a good rivalry, I think that's too early to say. The Mavs gave up a lot of draft capital to build the team they have right now and the Kristaps fit didn't work out (although i don't think it was a bad move), but they are gelling at the right time and are actually playing really good defense, which is surprising given that it's a Luka led team. As long as they have Luka, anything can happen on the post season and they will be contenders over the next few seasons if Kyrie stays healthy.
jteagle
AG
LawHall88 said:

Oh yeah, the game tonight screws with our draft position…

Luckily, this year draft position isn't as critical as in other years. I'm convinced that we could draft as low as 7th and still get the player we really want. You just never know how things are going to play out.
If we could ever get to listen in on discussions by the front office and scouting department, this would be an interesting year to do it. I would love to know what they're thinking about players and fit.
Enzo The Baker
AG
LawHall88
AG
Well, bummer. Wemby's season is done, leaving the fans with a glorified G-League game to close out the season.
West Texan
AG
Is this good? I think this is good…

jr15aggie
AG
So.... he's pretty good?
Guitarsoup
AG
Wemby set the NBA record for block to foul ratio.
Enzo The Baker
AG
Just another reason for dpoy.
AggieEP
With the Charlotte win, what would a loss do for us? We'd be in a 3 way tie with Portland and Charlotte, how does the tie breaker work in that situation?
Enzo The Baker
AG
AggieEP said:

With the Charlotte win, what would a loss do for us? We'd be in a 3 way tie with Portland and Charlotte, how does the tie breaker work in that situation?

I want to know the same thing. It could very well be a three way tie.
Guitarsoup
AG
AggieEP said:

They take the total number of lottery balls for the three teams and divide it three ways.

For two teams tied, they flip a coin for who gets the worst pick if neither team gets a top 4 choice. I assume there is something similar for a 3-way.
Enzo The Baker
AG
The pistons are pitiful. We are going to get 5th worst. Oh well.
Guitarsoup
AG
Guys gotta feel good about winning 7 of last 11 games.
All I do is Nguyen
Guitarsoup said:

Guys gotta feel good about winning 7 of last 11 games.
That shows me what this team could do in the coming years. that Comeback vs the Nuggs was HUGE for confidence going into the off-season IMO
Guitarsoup
AG
Pre vs Post ASB:
.459 FG% .466
.339 3fg% .366
17.9 fouls 15.8
.559 TS% .570
43.4 rebounds 46.0

.595 opp TS% .569
.491 opp fg% .481
.385 opp 3fg% .350
22.1 opp FTA 17.1

Devin increased FG%, 3ptFG%, ppg, apg, rpg after ASB

Keldon shot 48/39/83 post ASB

Tre Jones shot 53/43/81 post-ASB and put up 11/7/5 in 31mpg.

Collins shot 50/48 post _ASB and his DRTG went from 120 to 113.

Branham shot 44/40/82 post-ASB.
LawHall88
AG
Guitarsoup
AG
44% at a top 4 pick.

20% at 6
27% at 7
9% at 8
less than 1% at 9 (would need

About 50% of getting the Raptors at 7 or 8.
jteagle
AG
LawHall88 said:

Now we have to wait almost a month until the draft lottery.
jteagle
AG
Spurs went 9-11 in their last 20 games. Not so great for draft position but it creates great momentum and confidence going into the off-season. Considering this year's draft, the confidence and momentum may be more important.
Guitarsoup
AG
jteagle said:

Spurs went 9-11 in their last 20 games. Not so great for draft position but it creates great momentum and confidence going into the off-season. Considering this year's draft, the confidence and momentum may be more important.
Agree.

Back to Point Sochan as we Fail for Flagg.

Wanna see 30mpg for Cissoko, Julian, Jeremy, and Zach.
All I do is Nguyen
We have enough draft picks I am not too worried about that. I am glad we showed we can compete, with the current roster too, against even the best in the league. Bodes very well for the future
TheNotoriousP.I.P.
AG
That was a fun year watching the younguns start pulling things together to end the year.

Vic and Dev especially were encouraging with how they played to end the year, both showed they fit well and should be 2/5 of our starters when we move into contention.

Tre found his jumper and I hope it sticks, he's playable as our backup 1 in the playoffs if teams will respect his jumper.

Blake, Malaki, Zach, and Julian all turned up a notch after the ASB too.

Mamu and Sidy flashed some rotational promise.

Plenty to be excited about.
First Page Last Page
Page 77 of 103

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.