***********2023-2024 San Antonio Spurs Thread********************

197,485 Views | 3603 Replies | Last: 2 hrs ago by Ag Natural
TheNotoriousP.I.P.
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Hopefully Julian can show enough to take Doug's spot by the later half of the season
Enzo The Baker
AG
TheNotoriousP.I.P. said:

Hopefully Julian can show enough to take Doug's spot by the later half of the season

Doug's scouting report on the leaked Mavs document: ATTACK HIM
FTAG 2000
AG
MookieBlaylock said:

Spurs looked like an up and coming team- Dallas looks like a perennial 8 seed

Refs making it about them is the most NBA thing ever
Line was Mavs -4.5

You sure the refs were making it about them?
Guitarsoup
AG

Chet got his ankles broken by .... ANDRE DRUMMOND.
DTP02
AG
Guitarsoup said:

Chet got his ankles broken by .... ANDRE DRUMMOND.

NBD, I've seen Wemby get his ankles broken, too.

Of course it was by a guard, not a center, and Vic recovered to block the guy's shot at the rim on the same play instead of collapsing in an embarrassed heap on the floor.

Still, pretty much the same.
superunknown
AG
Guitarsoup
AG

Players-only meeting after 1 game?

2 seconds and Graham for Caruso.
Enzo The Baker
AG
Guitarsoup said:

Not feeling great about their protected '25 1st rounder (or Charlotte's '24) going forward.
Guitarsoup
AG
Enzo The Baker said:

Guitarsoup said:

Not feeling great about their protected '25 1st rounder (or Charlotte's '24) going forward.
This year and next year to see Charlotte make the playoffs.

Chicago is top 10 in 2025, top 8 in 2026 and 2027. I think that one probably conveys. They are a cluster right now, but their individual parts have decent trade value. Just together, those parts are essentially a borderline play-in team.
TheNotoriousP.I.P.
AG
I fell asleep early yesterday but had it recorded and just got through, figured I'd share some thoughts.
+Devin Vassell looks noticeably more athletic. Stronger, faster, and bouncier. He is going to continue his ascent towards an eventual all star appearance (probably not this year but I won't rule it out), and I feel better and better about his potential to be a top 3 option on a championship team. His on ball defense looked better and you can tell that his length really bothers jump shooters. He is starting to develop some serious gravity on offense as well, even though his 3 ball wasn't connecting.
+Collins looks a lot more comfortable in the offense. Having a guy down there next to Wemby that can post up, pass, and pop out and hit a 3 is going to be nice for creating a healthier offensive flow.
+Tre Jones looked great with and without the starters, he's a calming presence and he had some nice crafty plays.
+Cedi was great at getting to spots where he could be effective offensively.
+Bassey might be one of the 10 best rebounders in the NBA, if the ball was coming within 5 feet of him I expected him to come down with it no matter how contested.
+Outside of the last couple minutes, I thought Keldon put in a solid effort on both ends. It was nice to see him finish with craft near the rim.
+Nobody wants to shoot over Wemby, it felt like every shot attempt that got hoisted over his arms clanked off the back of the rim no matter who was taking it.
+Everyone played with great effort, the energy never seemed to wane even when our #1 guy was sidelined with foul trouble for good chunks of the game.
-Sochan looked really rough. Not only in his decision making which was bad, but physically also. I know he was playing against some great offensive players, but his on-ball P&R defense was tough to watch at times. If our plan is for him to be a guard, he needs to drop some weight. He was behind the 8 ball all night and was so far behind the play that any pump fake sent him flying, since that was the only way he could contest from so far away. It led to a lot of open looks from close to the rim. Offensively, he was just as bad. He is more of a connective passer (which he did effectively several times this game) than someone you want initiating the offense. WAY too many flailing drives to the basket against 2-3 defenders when we still had plenty of time on the clock. I love his potential but this was not one of his better efforts.
-If Collins had longer arms or had a better vert, I would really like him as a potential long term answer at C. That said, a lot of the reason Lively had a big game was because Collins couldn't handle him. He got caught too deep too often trying to help, and doesn't have the size or lateral quickness to recover to protect the rim.
-As much as I liked Cedi offensively, I was pretty disappointed in him defensively. He seemed to constantly overestimate his footspeed, because he would help so far into the paint that there was no way he could recover to contest the backside 3.
-Enough has been said about the closing minutes, but Keldon and Sochan have to be smarter.
-The 2 offensive fouls against Wemby were pretty ticky tack, but that 5th foul on the reach was all his fault and a really stupid play. He needs to understand the game situation a little better because we can't have him sitting on the bench during half the 4th quarter of a tight game.
+/- Branham and Doug were both pretty forgettable

Lots to like and lots to work on. Devin has been one of my favorite players since we drafted him, and seeing how far he has progressed is really cool.
Guitarsoup
AG
Really clear we need a starting PG. Sochan -11, Tre +1.

Also, if Tre somehow figured out how to shoot threes, he's even more valuable. he was 2/3 yesterday.
superunknown
AG

Just Manu teaching Wemby, nbd
Guitarsoup
AG
Earn that contract

Guitarsoup
AG
Sorry, Jeremy

Guitarsoup
AG
Guitarsoup
AG

Gonna have to replace Dirk's face with Wemby's on the fadeaway statue.
Guitarsoup
AG
Ridiculous.

Enzo The Baker
AG
Collins is such a liability defensively. And he's not hitting anything on the other side.
superunknown
AG
In the nba predictions thread I kinda dicked around picking vassell as most improved. But. Maybe for real tho?
superunknown
AG
Also is tre basically playing his way into starting?

BMK54
Don't understand pop taking Wemby out with 4-5min left in a close game. He was just starting to get on a roll.
superunknown
AG
Back to back blocks on the same possession. I guess he was well rested?
BMK54
Man if wemby can play all 4qtrs like he has in the 4th qtr the last two games he's gonna be a big problem.
superunknown
AG
My word, Wemby vs Dillon books jump ball with 2 seconds left in a tie game. This is cinema
superunknown
AG
Easy win nbd on to the next one
Enzo The Baker
AG
That was the funnest Spurs game I've seen in a very long time. This group has a lot of figure out but man are they fun. Big FTs by Sochan at the end.
Guitarsoup
AG
Enzo The Baker said:

Collins is such a liability defensively. And he's not hitting anything on the other side.
Led the team in assists with 8 (tied with Tre) but only 6 rebounds (zero offensive) in 39 minutes and shot 4 of 12 including 0-7 from three? All kinds of awful.
West Texan
AG
Beating the rockets is always fun. I didn't love some of the lineups tonight, but it's not unexpected from Pop this early in the season. Collins had a rough time defending Sengun and shot way too many 3s. Cedi Osman gave us some solid minutes tonight and kept us afloat when we were pretty stagnant on offense. Right now we're better with Jones than Sochan at PG. Wemby already has that killer instinct. Two games in and he's played his best in crunch time in the 4th.
BMK54
Nice Dub on to the next. Por Vida!

Guitarsoup
AG
My rotation would be:

PG Tre Jones
SG Devin Vassell
SF Cedi Osman
PF Wemby
C Collins

Bench:

Wing: Branham
Wing: Keldon
PG/PF: Sochan
C: Bassey

With Tre in the starting lineup, we don't need Keldon to create, but a bench with Keldon, Branham, Bassey, Sochan and any of the starters could go on some big runs and fun transition game. Keldon still gets starter minutes and closes the game, but I just think Keldon, Branham, Sochan for second team would run together really well. Biggest problem is that second team may or may not have any shooting. No one knows, not even them.
Guitarsoup
AG
Enzo The Baker
AG
Guitarsoup said:

My rotation would be:

PG Tre Jones
SG Devin Vassell
SF Cedi Osman
PF Wemby
C Collins

Bench:

Wing: Branham
Wing: Keldon
PG/PF: Sochan
C: Bassey

With Tre in the starting lineup, we don't need Keldon to create, but a bench with Keldon, Branham, Bassey, Sochan and any of the starters could go on some big runs and fun transition game. Keldon still gets starter minutes and closes the game, but I just think Keldon, Branham, Sochan for second team would run together really well. Biggest problem is that second team may or may not have any shooting. No one knows, not even them.

I approve.
Guitarsoup
AG
Jabari Smith getting DESTROYED by Wemby tonight.

Guitarsoup
AG
He's ferocious.

And no, it shouldn't have been goaltending, it was clearly outside the cylinder.

All I do is Nguyen
Once Wemby gives the kind of effort we've seen in the 4th quarter all game, it's over for everyone else
No matter what
First Page Last Page
Page 18 of 103

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.