***********2023-2024 San Antonio Spurs Thread********************

187,687 Views | 3419 Replies | Last: 2 hrs ago by Guitarsoup
Guitarsoup
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Signs up for NBA League Pass

Game is on ESPN.
Guitarsoup
AG
Highest scoring quarter in two seasons.
Guitarsoup
AG
Nine players played for the Spurs in the 1st. Everyone but Branham (4 minutes) had an assist and Keldon, Devin, and Bassey each had two assists.

Beautiful Game coming back?
Guitarsoup
AG
Sochan is just pure chaos on the court. I love it.
Guitarsoup
AG
Collins is a really underrated passer. He has pretty good vision.
West Texan
AG
Guitarsoup said:

Collins is a really underrated passer. He has pretty good vision.

This.

The ball movement has been excellent.
Enzo The Baker
AG
18 assists in first half.
MookieBlaylock
AG
#3 for Dallas look like he an And 1 fat guy
Guitarsoup
AG
Enzo The Baker said:

18 assists in first half.
And Keldon is the only one with more than 2. All ten Spurs have an assist. Four Spurs have 2 assists, Keldon has 5.

Spurs also have six steals and four blocks in the first half. Wemby has one of each, Devin has two steals and Zach has two blocks and a steal.

Only 7 turnovers to the 18 assists, and one turnover was the bull**** flop by Grant Williams getting the offensive foul called on Sochan.
FTAG 2000
AG
Who is the trash ref ringing up Wemby for multiple offensive fouls? No one came out to watch you put him on the bench.
Guitarsoup
AG
FTAG 2000 said:

Who is the trash ref ringing up Wemby for multiple offensive fouls? No one came out to watch you put him on the bench.
Those were absolutely trash calls, too. Probably same guy giving Grant Williams the calls on those awful flops.
BMK54
Don't understand them not getting wemby the ball in the paint tonight to use his size against Williams.

Also those were BS calls by that ref.
Average Joe
AG
The constant whistles are destroying the flow of the game.
superunknown
AG
Guitarsoup said:

Sochan is just pure chaos on the court. I love it.

I know it was said countless times last season but he really is Rodman 2.0
Cappo
AG
so many ticky tack fouls
superunknown
AG
Damn. Big body getting jammed up. Fell apart in the last 2 minutes. I liked a lot of what I saw tonight.
Chipotlemonger
AG
That's game. The team looked sloppy the last couple of minutes.

Quick reaction: Wemby's passing was a little aggressive and led to a few turnovers that I counted. The offense couldn't keep up with the rapid fire buckets there that the Mavs were getting at the end. It was really close for a while but some timely offense from Luka and Kyrie sealed it.
FTAG 2000
AG
Get back into it in the fourth with Trey and Wemby. Last two minutes watching Johnson fumble around in the post. Make it make sense.

Chipotlemonger
AG
superunknown said:

Damn. Big body getting jammed up. Fell apart in the last 2 minutes. I liked a lot of what I saw tonight.
That was an ugly ugly last couple of minutes.
StillNotAnAggie
8-0 run to end the game. Luka getting everything. Painful but I'll take it as a first game, but would have rather had a win. That and the bs fouls on Wemby were terrible.
Shucks14
AG
Johnson thinking he was the #1 overall pick. No one came to watch him flail every 2 minutes.
Cappo
AG
yeah didn't like Johnson ending. Way too much bull**** going on with him on those last series
TexAg1822
AG
Disappointing end there. Guys looked lost like we didn't know who to go to at the end

Keldon either needs to be more decisive or let Dev run the show. Wemby will eventually be the guy but I would've liked for us to feed him there at the end especially those last few possessions.

Think Tre needs to start at PG. not sure Sochan is right for it yet
superunknown
AG
Chipotlemonger said:

superunknown said:

That was an ugly ugly last couple of minutes.

Growing pains for sure and not a fulltime PG to steady the ship. Expected but disappointing.
Chipotlemonger
AG
TexAg1822 said:

Disappointing end there. Guys looked lost like we didn't know who to go to at the end.
That's exactly what I thought as well. Looked so haphazard.
Sports-Ag
AG
Stayed in it all game but not crunch time.

Wemby needs to set better screens or will continue to get the foul calls. You can't stick your arms out when setting a screen or can't always expect to get a steal. Something he has to learn.

Sochan has size but is not a point guard. Start Tre and have Sochan be the point with the second unit to get some reps. I saw Sochan take the ball then give it up to Dev or Keldon at the 3 point line. Did not seeing him getting players set up.

Pop needs to decide who is the guy in the final minutes to take the shot.

It was fun seeing Wemby go on his run in the 4th. Well the first game is done and all the national attention can sort of stop from the national media. Let him and team get into rhythm which will take some time. Houston is next
Ag Natural
AG
Classic rookie game. Foul trouble is the great neutralizer. This team needs to learn quickly what the power structure is.
Sher Thing
AG
The team just doesn't have a closer. I mean imagine Dallas without Luka.

Pop put the ball in Vassell's hands down the stretch but he kept deferring to Keldon who tries to make something happen but just isn't that guy. Devin has to learn to want the ball and finish down the stretch. Obviously as the season goes along they will find ways to get Wemby the ball in those moments but it's just not there yet.

As far as the foul trouble goes, Wemby will learn quickly not to reach at everything and honestly at least three of those calls were pretty damn weak and questionable.
FTAG 2000
AG
I think we have two closers. Neither got the ball though because Keldon still thought it was the 21 or 22 edition of the Spurs for some reason.
All I do is Nguyen
This is a good person to be compared to

No matter what
duck79
AG
I loved the fact that Wemby headed straight to the locker room and looked pretty pissed off. He didn't stay on the court and hug Mavs players. You can tell that guy is a big time competitor.

That offensive foul against Williams was bs. Teams are going to guard him with wing type players and due to his size his arms are right in the opposing players face area. He didn't push Williams in the throat and the officials need to watch for that.
All I do is Nguyen
I can't stand mark cuban as an NBA owner. He's a whiny cry baby who complains about every foul on his team and seeing him elated when Luka hit that three in the last minute just makes my blood boil
No matter what
DTP02
AG
duck79 said:

I loved the fact that Wemby headed straight to the locker room and looked pretty pissed off. He didn't stay on the court and hug Mavs players. You can tell that guy is a big time competitor.

That offensive foul against Williams was bs. Teams are going to guard him with wing type players and due to his size his arms are right in the opposing players face area. He didn't push Williams in the throat and the officials need to watch for that.

Williams totally baited that call. Threw his neck into Wemby's forearm.

Overall, lots of good from the starting lineup in terms of defense and ball movement. Lots to work with there. I was surprised/impressed with Collins' play.

The failures down the stretch are kind of expected from a young team. That's what growing pains look like, figuring out out to make the winning plays in crunch time that so many games come down to.

MookieBlaylock
AG
Spurs looked like an up and coming team- Dallas looks like a perennial 8 seed

Refs making it about them is the most NBA thing ever
All I do is Nguyen
Also the fact that Wemby went 3/5 from 3 point is good news too. Just needs to learn how to make himself open mid range then teams won't know what to do
No matter what

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.