***********2023-2024 San Antonio Spurs Thread********************

187,663 Views | 3419 Replies | Last: 1 hr ago by Guitarsoup
LawHall88
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Old Army Metal said:

WHO IS GUARDING BRUNSON GOOD GOD
That's me, my bad...
Guitarsoup
AG
Victor with a 40/20 game.
West Texan
AG
Guitarsoup said:

Victor with a 40/20 game.

Guitarsoup
AG
Also, this is his 65th game, so Wemby is eligible for All-Defense, All-NBA, MVP, and DPOY
Enzo The Baker
AG
Loved that Wemby had a monster game and led the team to a win against a potential ECF team. That's good (and much needed) stuff.

Spurs don't want the pressure of picking in the top 4 anymore. They want to take their guy later in the lottery and look savvy.
Enzo The Baker
AG
Enzo The Baker
AG
The ball toss was for sure intentional by Wemby. What a badass. He's a MFer with a nice guy facade. Love it.

jteagle
AG
Old Army Metal said:

WHO IS GUARDING BRUNSON GOOD GOD

He couldn't miss but they stopped him when it counted. They definitely missed Jeremy's defense in the 2nd half.
jteagle
AG
Victor continues to impress with his clutch play. Knocked down 2 free throws to tie the game in the 4th then coming up big in OT.
Guitarsoup
AG
Anyone listen to Matthew Tynan's podcast Small Market Bias?

They talked about players that would potentially be on the block this summer - mainly KAT and Mikal Bridges.

Looks like Brooklyn won't make the playoffs and Houston owns their picks from the Harden trade.

Minnesota is in a cluster of salary cap hell. Next year KAT's extension kicks in, they have Gobert on the max, and Anthony Edwards' extension kicks in. Plus they have Naz Reid at 14M, McDaniels at 22M, and Conley at 10M. Minnesota has less than 3M of 2nd apron space with just 9 players on the roster. Minnesota has a 27M tax bill... BEFORE they fill out the rest of their team. I also think they lose in the 2nd round, but could be primed for a 1st round upset, too.

I'm a KAT hater, because he shrinks in big games, but maybe that is different if he is more of a supporting player. I think that his shooting and spacing would work well next to Wemby and he isn't a black hole on defense.

However, KAT's extension is awful. He will make 15% more than Trae Young next year, 16% more the following year, 17% more the year after (if Trae opts in) and then has a 4th year option after that.

Bridges would give us that two-way SF we really need, but his offense and defense has dropped this year. Only 2 years left at less than 25M/year, so he is a bargain for the next two seasons. But since Brooklyn doesn't own their own picks, they aren't dumping him for nothing. I think Minnesota could dump KAT for under value, because of the luxury tax and if the Spurs did a draft night deal, Graham+Keldon works financially and would allow Minnesota to cut over 30M off the cap for next year, with Keldon's decreasing salary and Graham's unguaranteed salary. Only real pure financial savings deal that is better would be KAT for Chris Paul's 30M unguaranteed contract then cut Paul.
Enzo The Baker
AG
Yea. Bridges would be amazing but he'd be extremely expensive. His elite two play, durability and friendly contract would cost at least 4 picks from the Nets' side. They turned a big Houston offer earlier this year for him that would have given them back control of their picks. So it would take a lot from us. And I don't think he's the guy to blow capital on.
Guitarsoup
AG
superunknown
AG
is that good
LawHall88
AG
Devonte Graham sighting!
West Texan
AG
Short handed, I thought we battled well. Disastrous 3rd and too many turnovers cost us.

I really love watching Mamu play. Obviously this was his best game of the season, but every time he's on the floor it really sticks out how hard he plays. Not the most athletic or talented guy, but always seems to make things happen by out working people. I know we'll have to start upgrading the roster, but I hope we find a way to keep him around, cause you need guys at the end of the bench that just bust their ass no matter what.
jteagle
AG
One observation, since there was such a debate about ROTY earlier in the season, Victor has definitely put that to bed. However, it is interesting to see how Chet has almost completely disappeared of late. In his last 5 games he is averaging less than 10 ppg, 10 rpg, 1.5 blocks and has only hit 2 of 16 from 3. He doesn't seem to be holding up as well in his first full NBA season. It's almost like OKC should rest him a bit before the playoffs start.
One of the huge things that gets overlooked with Victor is that he has come through this season healthy and even seems to be getting stronger as he figures things out. Finishing this season healthy is a huge win in my book.
Enzo The Baker
AG
Listened to the Hoop Collective this morning. Windy was saying he thinks there's going to be a good player (in general) that is going to want to make the move to SA and play with Victor because that's how good Victor is. He also mentioned how San Antonio isn't the same sleepy San Antonio it was 20 years ago and how it's more of an attractive destination than a lot of other NBA cities. He even threw is beloved Cleveland under the bus.
LawHall88
AG
Enzo The Baker
AG
Great for tanking purposes. About to be tied with Charlotte after tonight. I think Wemby can still win us 2-3 more games though.
Guitarsoup
AG

Seems good.
TheNotoriousP.I.P.
AG
The FO saw Wemby carry our C team to a near win last night and freaked out about losing our draft spot to Charlotte
Enzo The Baker
AG
TheNotoriousP.I.P. said:

The FO saw Wemby carry our C team to a near win last night and freaked out about losing our draft spot to Charlotte

Unfortunately, I think we will have to do some extra tanking to get 3rd over Charlotte. And if we tie, it's a coin flip.
West Texan
AG
Enzo The Baker said:

TheNotoriousP.I.P. said:

Unfortunately, I think we will have to do some extra tanking to get 3rd over Charlotte. And if we tie, it's a coin flip.

Honestly, this draft isn't worth splitting hairs over our draft spot too much.
Enzo The Baker
AG
Yea I tend to agree. And you just never know. We lost the coin toss to Houston which gave us the third worst record. And we ended up getting Wemby.
HummingbirdSaltalamacchia
AG
West Texan said:

Enzo The Baker said:

TheNotoriousP.I.P. said:

Only thing is getting Toronto's pick this year. They are currently sitting with the 6th worse record in the league. 4 games ahead of the blazers (who have the 5th worse record). But with draft lottery odds, if the season ended today, there's still a stronger chance the pick conveys to the Spurs (it's top 6 protected).

Two top 10 picks this year would be stellar
AA
AG
Wouldn't be surprised if they shipped one of those picks out to land a big fish if they aren't thrilled with their options in the draft.
Guitarsoup
AG
HummingbirdSaltalamacchia said:

West Texan said:

Enzo The Baker said:

TheNotoriousP.I.P. said:

Only thing is getting Toronto's pick this year. They are currently sitting with the 6th worse record in the league. 4 games ahead of the blazers (who have the 5th worse record). But with draft lottery odds, if the season ended today, there's still a stronger chance the pick conveys to the Spurs (it's top 6 protected).

I would rather it covert next year than this year.
Guitarsoup
AG
Risacher dropped to 10th in the new Ringer Big Board

https://nbadraft.theringer.com/
Enzo The Baker
AG
I feel like KOCs big boards are super reactive. IMO he's not as plugged in to draftees as well as a Givony and/or he does things for more of a reaction (ex: Clingan at 3 is just stupid.)
Guitarsoup
AG
Enzo The Baker said:

I feel like KOCs big boards are super reactive. IMO he's not as plugged in to draftees as well as a Givony and/or he does things for more of a reaction (ex: Clingan at 3 is just stupid.)

Definitely true, but also the Wizards, Hornets or Pistons will all have a top 3 pick and they are all supremely stupid
Enzo The Baker
AG
Can't argue with that.
Ag Natural
AG
I never quite understand if these mock draft guys are trying to predict what the picks will be OR if they are putting out what they would do with each pick. It seems like it goes back and forth. KOC I think makes his board based on his own evaluations.
jteagle
AG
Enzo The Baker said:

I like Castle but 2 seems a little high.

With the way this draft is looking, 2nd round picks might actually be more valuable than in other years. I wouldn't mind seeing the Spurs take a chance on Carrington out of Pittsburgh and Jalen Bridges out of Baylor if they are available.
Enzo The Baker
AG
Correct me if I'm wrong but I think we only have the Lakers 2nd this year.
Enzo The Baker
AG
Guitarsoup said:

HummingbirdSaltalamacchia said:

West Texan said:

Enzo The Baker said:

TheNotoriousP.I.P. said:

I would rather it covert next year than this year.

Something came out this morning with executives saying this is 'the worst draft of all time'. Lol The league should have waited to do the two day thing next year.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.