***********2023-2024 San Antonio Spurs Thread********************

187,617 Views | 3419 Replies | Last: 24 min ago by Guitarsoup
MookieBlaylock
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Why don't we have a PG? Plenty available
Ag Natural
AG
A couple of teams have done a really good job making it difficult to get Wemby a clean catch. You still need to set him up in good spots. He'll get better at holding his ground and the guys will get better at finding him.
LawHall88
AG
West Texan
AG
LawHall88
AG
Getting the ball to Wemby early, which is good.

Not guarding the 3-point line (again), which is not good.
Cappo
AG
just 6 minutes ?
Sports-Ag
AG
Spurs can't make a basket this first quarter.
Sports-Ag
AG
Looks like one of those games where the Spurs can't make a basket
StillNotAnAggie
Not looking good so far. Can't hit anything.
All I do is Nguyen
Feel like this is expected with the talent we have and how young our guys are. Once we get more experience and maybe get some better perimeter defenders we will see a significant jump in play and wins
No matter what
Sports-Ag
AG
My goodness the 3 point defense sucks and has shown in these 3 games.
LawHall88
AG
All I do is Nguyen said:

Feel like this is expected with the talent we have and how young our guys are. Once we get more experience and maybe get some better perimeter defenders we will see a significant jump in play and wins
I don't know that 30-40 point losses should be expected.
superunknown
AG
LawHall88 said:

All I do is Nguyen said:

I don't know that 30-40 point losses should be expected.

I almost feel like every player on the roster is a roll of the dice. Looking at this in an odd way but hear me out...

Lets assume every player has a ceiling and a floor...not developmentally, just in strict output terms. Let's say Devin's usual ceiling is a 25 point night. Sure he may pop for 36 a couple times but his typical highest nights are mid 20s. Let's say his floor is 8 points. We consider 8 points a bad night for Devin but we really only see it happen maybe once every 15-20 games.

Once you sort out in your head the extent of the reliability on each player in what he's giving you, you can get an overall view of the expected outcome.

I feel in my gut, distribution of outcomes is going to be something like this over 82 games.

15 20+ point losses
25 10-20 point losses
15 losses under 10
15 0-9 point wins
9 10-20 point wins
3 20+ point wins

27-55. We're consistently bad, sometimes terrible, sometimes good, sometimes awesome and we go honking a few times.

FTAG 2000
AG
Sports-Ag said:

My goodness the 3 point defense sucks and has shown in these 3 games.

This. We're defending the perimeter like we are in the Wemby sweepstakes again.
LawHall88
AG
Enzo The Baker
AG
I think we all know this will take time. But at least put Victor in a best position to get his and feast. I know it's about team development but I want him to run away with rookie of the year.

Our players are still missing him under the rim. How is that even possible 8 games in? Sochan played better last night but he cannot run an offense. We need a point guard badly.
Enzo The Baker
AG
If Wemby went 4-14 against the Knicks, tomorrow might be really ugly against the wolves. They are massive and they play D.
LawHall88
AG
West Texan
AG
superunknown
AG
Saw that this morning and I loved it. But also kinda laughed at Bassey included in the team's high council because it just magnifies what a bad news bears type team we have, just a bunch of dudes that are super young and yeah several high draft picks, but still growing and we don't even know who's gonna pan out yet.
Enzo The Baker
AG
How do we have Victor and a fully healthy team but are still worse than last year? This is infuriating.
Enzo The Baker
AG
Sochan with a 6 turnover masterpiece. I love him but not as a point guard. But if this is us playing for a top 4 pick I guess it's fine.
superunknown
AG
Enzo The Baker said:

Sochan with a 6 turnover masterpiece. I love him but not as a point guard. But if this is us playing for a top 4 pick I guess it's fine.

I love him but it's also darkly funny to me that on league pass during commercial breaks they're not showing what's on ballys but they'll show old highlights or behind the scenes stuff. One of the breaks tonight had this bit with Sochan and the t shirt cannon guy throwing shirts out and at some point, the close captioning popped up and something like

Sochan: -laughs- I can't throw

I immediately thought "that's my starting PG. Yup." And then I thought of Ralph Wiggum from the simpsons....I'm in danger.

MookieBlaylock
AG
Sochan is a bench guy, sooner we get home there, the sooner we start winning
All I do is Nguyen
Anyone know the story behind this?

No matter what
Enzo The Baker
AG
It goes back to the FIBA under 18 games from a few years back. USA won but Wemby outplayed Chet. Then Chet was butt hurt about getting headbutted by Wemby on a drive in the preseason game. Windhorst seems to think they don't like each other. I think it's probably more of an inferiority thing from Chet. I think Wemby couldn't care less. I also think the media is trying to make a narrative between the skinny dudes going after rookie of the year.
MookieBlaylock
AG
Chet ain't a rookie either so another bs narrative
LawHall88
AG
MookieBlaylock said:

He is as far as the NBA "Rookie of the Year" voting is concerned.
MookieBlaylock
AG
LawHall88 said:

MookieBlaylock said:

He is as far as the NBA "Rookie of the Year" voting is concerned.

and anyone that votes a 2nd year player as ROTY is a moron and prob works for ESPN
FTAG 2000
AG
Enzo The Baker said:

How do we have Victor and a fully healthy team but are still worse than last year? This is infuriating.

We aren't even defending the three. Just letting people fire away. Poor defense given the trend in the league.

Of course it also helps when Sochan PG experiment continues and also when Keldon continues to try to go hero ball late in games.
Enzo The Baker
AG
Jones and Keldon out tonight. Sochan questionable.
Guitarsoup
AG
Enzo The Baker said:

Jones and Keldon out tonight. Sochan questionable.

He's been questionable all year
MookieBlaylock
AG
Nice way to say he sucks
Enzo The Baker
AG
I thought Julian looked great on defense. If he can give us that I say start him and have Keldon come off the bench.
Enzo The Baker
AG
This has to be the worst basketball the spurs have ever played. It's unwatchable.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.