***********2023-2024 San Antonio Spurs Thread********************

197,491 Views | 3603 Replies | Last: 2 hrs ago by Ag Natural
Guitarsoup
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
The Athletic mock draft. ZacRis went 1 and Sarr 2.

Enzo The Baker
AG
Guitarsoup said:

If Risacher isn't available I think I'd pick Williams before Topic. I don't like the knee injury and in his limited time with red star, Topic did drop a bit. He might be worth a gamble with Toronto's pick but then again, who knows where the Spurs' own pick will fall.
Guitarsoup
AG
Enzo The Baker said:

Guitarsoup said:

If Risacher isn't available I think I'd pick Williams before Topic. I don't like the knee injury and in his limited time with red star, Topic did drop a bit. He might be worth a gamble with Toronto's pick but then again, who knows where the Spurs' own pick will fall.
I wouldn't mind Williams then Reed Shepherd.

If we trade down, I like Kevin McCuller or Ryan Dunn.

If Dunn is there past 20, trading the Charlotte pick is worth it for him.
Enzo The Baker
AG
Guitarsoup said:

Enzo The Baker said:

Guitarsoup said:

Agreed. Dunn's defensive stats are ridiculous. Dude just had 7 blocks in a game as a forward. He's athletic as hell too. He would definitely need to develop a 3 point shot. Otherwise the spacing with he and Sochan would be really hard to watch. But man I would tune in just to watch us on defense.
Guitarsoup
AG
Enzo The Baker said:

Guitarsoup said:

Enzo The Baker said:

Guitarsoup said:

Agreed. Dunn's defensive stats are ridiculous. Dude just had 7 blocks in a game as a forward. He's athletic as hell too. He would definitely need to develop a 3 point shot. Otherwise the spacing with he and Sochan would be really hard to watch. But man I would tune in just to watch us on defense.
If some we acquired a point guard adept at running the pick and roll and throwing lobs to athletic players, I could see him being the roll man.

Just theoretically.
Enzo The Baker
AG
If we could theoretically somehow acquire a point guard who could lead the league in assists and move the gravity of our offense, we just might have enough to cover up that point guard's defensive deficiencies. Theoretically.
Enzo The Baker
AG
Thinking about it, I almost think it makes more sense to go all in defensively. Victor's defense is already elite there. It's his biggest strength right now. We'd be remiss not maximize that while we figure out just what he is offensively.
Guitarsoup
AG
Enzo The Baker said:

Thinking about it, I almost think it makes more sense to go all in defensively. Victor's defense is already elite there. It's his biggest strength right now. We'd be remiss not maximize that while we figure out just what he is offensively.

I just think you need a second guy with huge offensive weight, Trae or not.

If you have two elite guys and a good guy on offense, though can totally hide one or two spares as long as they don't turn it over much. Okogie playing with Durant and Booker.
Guitarsoup
AG
Really high praise from Jamal Crawford

Enzo The Baker
AG
From the Ringer:

Quote:

The list of players who have averaged 20 points, 10 rebounds, three assists, and three blocks per game in a season: Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, Hakeem Olajuwon, David Robinson, Patrick Ewing, Bob Lanier, and Shaq-the youngest to ever do it was Lanier at 25. Wembanyama is on track. He's 20.
superunknown
AG
Enzo The Baker said:

Adam Silver's pre-ASG chatter seems like they'll be looking into sliding the scale a little bit over back into defense again...so its not a bad idea.

I've come around on Trae. Personally I think he's fun to watch and would be a great pairing with Wemby but his salary is pretty substantial. I liked the idea of DJM a bit more because I don't think they'll get a better offer than (some of) their old picks back. I'd be wary of 4+ picks but I could be talked into it, of course depending on how many we'd give up. If PATFO go with it I think it's a fast forward button on the championship window whereas if we build slowly OKC style....which I think was the plan...it makes things different as I think by the time the roster turns over and we're in the true playoff chase there's not gonna be a whole lot of recognizable from that mythical roster as compared to today's Spurs.
Enzo The Baker
AG
I think it's pretty telling that Atlanta couldn't trade DJ. I think most teams are hesitant to unload two firsts for him, and that is supposedly what Atlanta was looking for. If we go the DJ route I think we could put their feet over the fire. One unprotected Atlanta 1st back so they can build another piece around Trae and the Charlotte pick. If a team like LA wants to pay 2+ firsts for him, let them.
Guitarsoup
AG
Enzo The Baker said:

I think it's pretty telling that Atlanta couldn't trade DJ. I think most teams are hesitant to unload two firsts for him, and that is supposedly what Atlanta was looking for. If we go the DJ route I think we could put their feet over the fire. One unprotected Atlanta 1st back so they can build another piece around Trae and the Charlotte pick. If a team like LA wants to pay 2+ firsts for him, let them.
Yeah, I agree. If he was a Caruso-level lockdown defender, it would be one thing, but he just isn't.

We got crazy lucky and sold at an all-time high on him.

He started off really hot shooting and was at 40% from 3 in November, 39% in December and 38% in January... and is 24% in February. So he's 46/36 for the season after looking like he turned a corner early in the season.

At this point, offensively and defensively, I don't know that he is an upgrade to Devin Vassell.
superunknown
AG
Enzo The Baker said:

Yeah, I like that idea too...the idea of tossing ATL a pick or two of theirs back to take DJM off their hands and doing them a favor while improving our squad and still keeping a buttload of potential lotto picks over the next few years to find a top flight guy to wingman Wemby is very tempting. I fear that while Trae is a top flight wingman we'd have to give up a lot, probably too much and wind up being too lean on the bench/relying on absolutely nailing our draft picks. If DJ is the play, we've got more picks to swing at finding the right parts. If Trae is the play, our ceiling gets higher much quicker.

My thinking maybe outdated but in my head I'm still thinking about who our top 3 are/will be once we become a factor.

DJ/Wemby/Vassell with Sochan as our stopper and Keldon as 6th (obviously the rest is filler and I trust PATFO to find the right parts to backfill roles)

OR

Trae/Wemby/Vassell with Sochan as our stopper probably means Keldon is gone (although his contract is structured to where he actually gets cheaper so maybe its possible?) means the margin for error on the filler is much narrower.

I'm likely wrong about all of this of course and I'll defer to our Larry Coon level cap expert on the numbers and projections over the next few years.
Enzo The Baker
AG
Coach Bud is at the top of the list for the Nets.
Enzo The Baker
AG
Really good piece on Georgie by Marc Spears.

Guitarsoup
AG
Trae has a big contract obviously, but it isn't THAT awful.

43M next year
46M the following year
Can opt out now
49M if opt in

So if we traded him this summer, we have one year and then he is basically an ending contract. In this case, we are lucky that he signed when he did, because the cap shot up after.

Trae's is 5y/215M
Jaylen Brown's new contract signed last year is 5y304M. Brown will be making about 10M more per year - possibly more.

Spurs won't act as an under the cap team, but not like we got lots of usefulness out of that anyway, other than absorbing Graham for 4 seconds or something.

Summer 2025:
Trae 46M
Devin 27M
Collins 18M
Keldon 17.5M
Victor 13.4M
Sochan 7M
Branham (option 5M)
Wesley (option 4.7M)
Bassey (option 2.5M
Julian (option 3M)
Cissoko (option 2.2M)

Decline all options and we are at ~129 out of an expected 155M cap. Obviously we would have to add in all the first round picks we draft between now and then. But it isn't bad now. I think Sochan signs a Keldon-like contract. Wemby gets the max after that. PLus good chance we dump Collins if he doesn't remember how to play basketball between now and then.
superunknown
AG
Yeah that's not as bad as I thought, appreciate the math as I was trying to do it in my head and on mobile. Was also hedging to see if they'd want to wedge in another Big Free Agent (which I kinda feel in this day you wind up paying for past performance more than you're paying for future results and with Wemby quickly getting top top tier status, i dont want any dying money on the books) and effectively Trae becomes your Big Free Agent, just acquired via trade.
Guitarsoup
AG
superunknown said:

Yeah that's not as bad as I thought, appreciate the math as I was trying to do it in my head and on mobile. Was also hedging to see if they'd want to wedge in another Big Free Agent (which I kinda feel in this day you wind up paying for past performance more than you're paying for future results and with Wemby quickly getting top top tier status, i dont want any dying money on the books) and effectively Trae becomes your Big Free Agent, just acquired via trade.

Trading for your big free agent when we have 4 decades of not signing a big FA other than hometown LMA is a pretty good strategy. We've been great at getting role players in free agency, but not elite players.
Sher Thing
AG
Here's a look at which guards have been the most effective passers and scorers

^Better shooting with shot quality and volume taken into account

>Better passing

superunknown
AG
That + I think the current cap rules are prohibitive on movement (by design and I'm ok with that) unless it's a S&T and there's been too many of those that have just ruined salary caps lately. As well as SSE is doing now due to Wemby I don't think they want to be a luxury tax payer until they're comfortably in the LOB range of contenders.
Guitarsoup
AG
Sher Thing said:

>Better passing

I think we all agree Wemby needs a PG. Maybe we should rank the PGs, regardless of availability that we would choose to pair over the next 6-12 years.

I think mine would be:

1. Ty Haliburton 23yo
2. Luka Doncic 24yo
3. SGA 25yo
4. Trae Young 25yo
5. Jamal Murray 26yo
6. LaMelo 22yo
7. Ja Morant 24yo
8. Derrick White 29yo
9. FVV 29yo
10. DeAaron Fox 26yo

Older Stop-gap players:
1. LeBron James 39yo
2. Steph Curry 35yo
3. Jrue Holiday 33yo
4. Mike Conley 36yo
5. Dame 33yo

Ag Natural
AG
Guitarsoup said:

Sher Thing said:

>Better passing

I think we all agree Wemby needs a PG. Maybe we should rank the PGs, regardless of availability that we would choose to pair over the next 6-12 years.

I think mine would be:

1. Ty Haliburton 23yo
2. Luka Doncic 24yo
3. SGA 25yo
4. Trae Young 25yo
5. Jamal Murray 26yo
6. LaMelo 22yo
7. Ja Morant 24yo
8. Derrick White 29yo
9. FVV 29yo
10. DeAaron Fox 26yo

Older Stop-gap players:
1. LeBron James 39yo
2. Steph Curry 35yo
3. Jrue Holiday 33yo
4. Mike Conley 36yo
5. Dame 33yo

Everyone is harping on the PG issue. It's 100% just as much of a factor to be playing Wemby at center and having 4 perimeter players around him instead of trying to "protect him" by pairing him with another big guy. I think Victor has surprised everyone with how well he's held up physically. That was all you heard about leading up to the season. He's also been a way better than expected passer.
TheNotoriousP.I.P.
AG
I've got my eye on the Lonzo Ball situation. He's got a player option after this year, which I assume he will accept, meaning he will be a FA after next year. If he comes back and puts up a full season next year (admittedly highly unlikely), he has the perfect skillset that I'd be looking for.
Guitarsoup
AG
TheNotoriousP.I.P. said:

I've got my eye on the Lonzo Ball situation. He's got a player option after this year, which I assume he will accept, meaning he will be a FA after next year. If he comes back and puts up a full season next year (admittedly highly unlikely), he has the perfect skillset that I'd be looking for.

I don't think he ever plays again.

I'm listening to Nate Duncan right now and he has LaMelo on his list if bad contacts to watch because he didn't think LaMelo is capable of leading a top ten offense
Enzo The Baker
AG
Guitarsoup said:

TheNotoriousP.I.P. said:

I'm listening to Nate Duncan right now and he has LaMelo on his list if bad contacts to watch because he didn't think LaMelo is capable of leading a top ten offense

You just can't bet on either because of their injuries. Interested to know if any spurs are mentioned in his worst contracts.
Guitarsoup
AG
Enzo The Baker said:

Guitarsoup said:

TheNotoriousP.I.P. said:

You just can't bet on either because of their injuries. Interested to know if any spurs are mentioned in his worst contracts.

No spurs mentioned. All guys like Ppoole, Vuc, Poole, Lavinr
Sher Thing
AG
dp
Sher Thing
AG
Guitarsoup
AG
Sher Thing said:

Perfect location. Should have put the House that Timmy Built there instead of next to Freeman.
Enzo The Baker
AG
Guitarsoup said:

Sher Thing said:

Perfect location. Should have put the House that Timmy Built there instead of next to Freeman.

Assuming this could get funding, I'm interested to see how they would handle the Frost lease with Bexar County. It expires in 2032. SBC funding was approved in 1999 and was ready in 2002.
superunknown
AG
Guessing SSE would run/book FBC till the lease is over? Some sort of downside guarantee so the county would be made (roughly) whole and not lose any money out of it?

Also maybe I'm a museum nerd but I always loved the Institute of Texan Cultures. Gonna be sad to see it go. Hope they can figure out what to do with it. Hell, put it in the Freeman.
Old Army Metal
AG
Kings A/V team using Spuran Spuran under the starting lineup tonight. I don't even care what happens now, the night is a success already.
Enzo The Baker
AG
Sabonis gets away with a lot of crap.
FTAG 2000
AG
Are the spurs ever going to wear black and white again or we stuck with these crap retro jerseys?
First Page Last Page
Page 55 of 103

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.