***********2023-2024 San Antonio Spurs Thread********************

187,706 Views | 3419 Replies | Last: 2 hrs ago by Guitarsoup
Guitarsoup
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
FTAG 2000 said:

Enzo The Baker said:

We are a noticeably better basketball team with Tre Jones on the floor. Victor is going to need to eventually move to the 5 for us to be at our best I think. Probably not this year though.

Pop's going to completely destroy Sochan before he gives up on that point guard experiment.
He's gonna gain skills, not lose them.
West Texan
AG
To put a positive spin on all the experiments, by far my favorite thing I've seen is when we go to the 3-2 zone with Wemby at the top. It's such a good change up and Wemby patrolling the top while also protecting the rim has really given teams problems. On the flip side, that same defense with anyone else at the top just doesn't work.
superunknown
AG
When you've got an 8 foot wingspan that's 2 strides from the basket (I think that's conceptually behind what Barkley said about him being too far too long from the basket?) it's so disruptive and I've caught myself literally pulling up off the couch like "oh!" And I'm an old man, been watching games all my life and this dude is like nothing ever. It's gonna take more than 3 games to find out how to build around your franchise guy when nobody even knows what he is yet.
FTAG 2000
AG
Guitarsoup said:

FTAG 2000 said:

Enzo The Baker said:

We are a noticeably better basketball team with Tre Jones on the floor. Victor is going to need to eventually move to the 5 for us to be at our best I think. Probably not this year though.

Pop's going to completely destroy Sochan before he gives up on that point guard experiment.

Hope you're right. I just don't think he's got it in him to adjust.

I'd rather he be at practice shooting 200 threes from the corner every day than trying to figure out how to be a PG.
CC09LawAg
I think part of the thought process is that if a player who shows potential as a multi-positional defender gets reps as a playmaker, then you can fit him into an offense even if his 3 point shot doesn't come along (AKA Draymond Green). That way he can make plays as a screener, from the elbow, on the short roll, etc. So if there is playmaker potential, you nurture that and you have a built in archetype that should be a good pairing next to a player like Wemby.

If the 3 comes along, that is great. But I think in most cases you see that players with playmaking potential seem to be able to expand that more easily than guys who struggle with the 3 suddenly adding that into their game.
CC09LawAg
Ag Natural said:

I'm seeing a lot of criticism of the way Wemby is being used. AFTER 4 GAMES.
Get ready for years of this. The national media is going to try to convince everyone that Wemby is wasting away in little old San Antonio and that he needs to move to LA/NY/etc. to realize his potential.
All I do is Nguyen
Do we really play the Suns AGAIN in back to back games?
No matter what
Ag Natural
AG
CC09LawAg said:

Ag Natural said:

I'm seeing a lot of criticism of the way Wemby is being used. AFTER 4 GAMES.
Get ready for years of this. The national media is going to try to convince everyone that Wemby is wasting away in little old San Antonio and that he needs to move to LA/NY/etc. to realize his potential.
It's also obvious that the national media is ill-informed. I've seen so many clips of pundits saying that Wemby needs to stop drifting on the perimeter and to get in the paint. Yet, Wemby himself said that if a coach tries to turn him into a low post guy then he is not going to be happy.
Guitarsoup
AG
FTAG 2000 said:

Guitarsoup said:

FTAG 2000 said:

Enzo The Baker said:

Hope you're right. I just don't think he's got it in him to adjust.

I'd rather he be at practice shooting 200 threes from the corner every day than trying to figure out how to be a PG.
I don't think the end goal is for Sochan to be the starting point guard. I think the end goal is to develop a swiss army knife player that plays tough defense, rebounds, hits outside shots, and is a great passer.

Think of him as an extremely athletically gifted Boris Diaw. And I agree, I want him to continue to develop his shot. I think that he is someone that is constantly working on being better. Remember he is still just 20yo. This should be his junior year at Baylor. If he and Wemby want to celebrate with some French wine, they have to slip Doug McBuckets some cash to buy it for them.

I don't think that this is like David Carr with the Texans. Let Carr take all those hits behind an awful OL and he regresses as a QB because he is afraid.

I don't see any way that more experience ball handling and initiating offense makes him a worse player.
FTAG 2000
AG
CC09LawAg said:

I think part of the thought process is that if a player who shows potential as a multi-positional defender gets reps as a playmaker, then you can fit him into an offense even if his 3 point shot doesn't come along (AKA Draymond Green). That way he can make plays as a screener, from the elbow, on the short roll, etc. So if there is playmaker potential, you nurture that and you have a built in archetype that should be a good pairing next to a player like Wemby.

If the 3 comes along, that is great. But I think in most cases you see that players with playmaking potential seem to be able to expand that more easily than guys who struggle with the 3 suddenly adding that into their game.
I get it.

Pop thinks he's got the next Diaw in Sochan. He's been searching for that since Boris hung it up.

I'm just skeptical Sochan can get there, that's all. I don't think court vision can be taught, it's an innate skill you either have or you don't. I don't think he has it.
Sher Thing
AG
I wish Pop would play Sochan like Diaw. Sochan is playing a much different position. The Spurs are experimenting and I'm not exactly sure they care if they win or lose games this season. I think they are looking forward to having another high draft pick next year so they can draft a true PG to be Wemby's running mate.

Some really decent PG options in next years draft with Castle, Proctor, and Collier.
Guitarsoup
AG
FTAG 2000 said:

CC09LawAg said:

I get it.

Pop thinks he's got the next Diaw in Sochan. He's been searching for that since Boris hung it up.

I'm just skeptical Sochan can get there, that's all. I don't think court vision can be taught, it's an innate skill you either have or you don't. I don't think he has it.
Sochan has great court vision in the open court/in transition. He doesn't know how to run the half-court sets.

This year so far, his shooting is ****, but he is putting up 12/8/6 per 36 minutes and his perimeter defense has been good.

Peak Boris was 14/7/6 per 36 minutes and that was on the Phoenix SSOL team. With the Spurs, Boris was a 13/6/4 player per 36.

And again, we are talking about a guy that is almost a year away from turning 21.
Guitarsoup
AG
Sher Thing said:

I wish Pop would play Sochan like Diaw. Sochan is playing a much different position. The Spurs are experimenting and I'm not exactly sure they care if they win or lose games this season. I think they are looking forward to having another high draft pick next year so they can draft a true PG to be Wemby's running mate.

Some really decent PG options in next years draft with Castle, Proctor, and Collier.
That's it. He is just trying to get reps for all the guys this year.

Future draft picks:

2024:
1st Spurs
1st Raptors (top 6 protected, Raptors are 2-3)
1st Charlotte (Charlotte brought back Bridges, who was then arrested for more domestic violence stuff, and they let Kelly Oubre walk. They are a cluster **** and I hope Alabama Josh Jackson is a bust. This pick moves to 2025 if they miss the playoffs.)
2nd: Pelicans or Bulls
2nd: Lakers
2nd: Suns

2025:
1st Spurs
1st Charlotte (if they make the playoffs in 2025, but not 2024)
1st Atlanta (unprotected)
1st Bulls (top 10 protected, then top 8 protected two following seasons)
2nd Spurs
2nd Raptors
2nd Bulls

2026:
1st Spurs or Hawks - better pick of the two, no protections
2nd We have like 8 second round picks with various protections and swaps attached.

2027:
1st Spurs
1st Hawks (unprotected)
2nd: we have like 5 second round picks all with various weird protections and swaps attached.

2028:
1st Spurs or Celtics - Spurs get the better pick, only #1 pick protected.
2nd: Five different picks

2029:
1st Spurs
2nd Pelicans
2nd Spurs

2030:
1st Spurs
1st Mavs - right to swap, unprotected
2nd Cavs
2nd Spurs

----------------

We likely have 2 first rounders this year and 3-4 firsts next year. The 2025 draft is supposed to be really great, with Cooper Flagg leading the way.

For the 2024 draft, I like Matas Buzelis a lot. His game is kind of similar to Wemby, but as more of a SF/point forward. GLeague this year. He isn't a big need, but may be the best in the class. Having Wemby and this guy would be really difficult to defend. He's 6'11.

Combo?PG? Nikola Topic. Pop loves his Serbs, right? 6'6 200lbs. First five games this year, has put up 19/8 on 57% shooting. Will be 18 on draft night.
PG Isaiah Collier - best player at biggest need and he is 6'3.
PG Tyrese Proctor - 6'5 but may be more of a SG/Combo than a PG
C Donovan Clingan - Big center that won't get pushed around, but is he too old school/plodding for what Pop wants?
C Alexandre Sarr - French center a year younger than Wemby. He's not as big or strong as Clingan, but he runs the floor better and is younger. He's WAY more switchable and spent time guarding wings. But can he control the paint for us?
C Aday Mara - Great passing big, but not sure he will be switchable or be able to control the paint.

THE_CHOSEN_ONE
Great start tonight
LawHall88
AG
Wemby completely dominated on defense the first three minutes. Suns could barely get a shot off.
Enzo The Baker
AG
Shooters just don't even notice McDermott on the floor.
superunknown
AG
ahem

superunknown said:

Also, I think Vassell is gonna be a problem for a lot of teams.
Enzo The Baker
AG
Vic +20 currently
TyHolden
AG
Is Wemby good?
jteagle
AG
75 points in the 1st half. Up by 20. Victor has 20 points and is playing his best game so far. He did a little bit of everything.
West Texan
AG
TyHolden said:

Is Wemby good?

West Texan
AG

THE_CHOSEN_ONE
We finally know what that crazy lady saw on the plane. It was Wemby.
taylorswift13_
We staying up for this one folks?
Average Joe
AG
taylorswift13_ said:

It's going to midnight at the rate of these fouls.
THE_CHOSEN_ONE
taylorswift13_ said:

I always take a nap when I get home from work whenever the Spurs have a late game.
Guitarsoup
AG
West Texan said:

That seems good
superunknown
AG
Beautiful alley oops layup
Average Joe
AG
superunknown said:

Both of those last two plays to him down low are unfair.

For the other team.
THE_CHOSEN_ONE
Average Joe said:

superunknown said:

For the other team.

They've finally figured out they can just throw it over everyone to Wemby in the paint. It's unstoppable.
Guitarsoup
AG
Tre Jones with 8/8/4/1 with just 1 turnover and +16 in 18 minutes off the bench.
jteagle
AG
taylorswift13_ said:

I'm retired now so I get to stay up for these games.
jsc8116
AG
Vassell out with groin injury in 2md half...
superunknown
AG
THE_CHOSEN_ONE said:

Average Joe said:

superunknown said:

For the other team.

They've finally figured out they can just throw it over everyone to Wemby in the paint. It's unstoppable.

I thought of that on the last one. It's basically a one-timer in hockey terms. Except there's no goalie. I mean you can't do it every time down the floor (...or...can we?) because someone will scheme to it but you can bust it out every 3rd or 4th time down the court, or at least show the look.
Average Joe
AG
This color commentator complains about every foul called on the Suns.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.