***********2023-2024 San Antonio Spurs Thread********************

197,384 Views | 3602 Replies | Last: 4 hrs ago by Enzo The Baker
Guitarsoup
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
  • Salary Floor: $122.4MM
  • Curent Salaries; ~$128mm
  • Salary Cap: $136MM
  • Luxury Tax: $165.3MM
  • 1st Apron: $172.3MM
  • 2nd Apron: $182.3MM
  • Room Exception: $7.7MM

Guaranteed Contracts - 16 players
  • Keldon 20
  • Doug 13.75
  • Wemby 12.2
  • Graham 12.1
  • Bullock 10.5
  • Tre: 9.6
  • Collins 7.7
  • Birch 7
  • Osman 6.7
  • Devin 5.9
  • Sochan 5.3
  • Branham 3.1
  • ChampagniePapa 2.8
  • Wesley 2.5
  • Bassey 2.5
  • Mamu 2

Dead Money
  • Primo 4.3

Unguaranteed Contracts
  • Stevens 1.9 (guarantee date of 1/10/2024
  • Charles Bediako
Two-Way Contracts
  • SirJ Rice
  • Dom Barlow
  • Third spot still open

Unsigned
  • Sidy Cissoko. Rumors he got a guaranteed contract, but I haven't seen that confirmed by a big name.

Spurs still have ~$8mm in cap room, and the $7.7mm Room Exception. I fully expect the Spurs to use that money to bring over Robertas Javotkas and Viktor Sanikidze from Europe.

Future Picks
2024:
  • Spurs 1st
  • Toronto 1st (top 6-protected)
  • Charlotte 1st (lottery protected)
  • Spurs 2nd
  • Lakers 2nd
2025:
  • Spurs 1st
  • Atlanta 1st
  • Chicago 1st (top 10 protected)
  • Toronto 1st (top 6 protected, if it didn't go in 2024)
  • Charlotte 1st (Lottery protected, if it didn't go in 2024)
  • Spurs 2nd
  • Chicago 2nd
2026:
  • Spurs 1st or Atlanta 1st (best pick goes to Spurs)
  • Chicago 1st (top 8 protected, if it didn't go in 2025)
  • Toronto 1st (top 6 protected, if it didn't go in 2024 or 2025)
  • Charlotte 2nd (if those idiots never made the playoffs from 2023-2026)
  • NOLA or Portland 2nd - less favorable
  • Toronto 2nd (if the 1st rounder never conveyed)
  • More Favorable of Spurs 2nd or Less Favorable of Indy/Miami
2027:
  • Chicago 1st (top 8 protected, if it never conveyed)
  • Atlanta 1st
  • Spurs 1st
  • Charlotte 2nd (if those dip****s never made the playoffs between 2023-2026)
  • Spurs 2nd
  • Toronto 2nd (if 1st never conveyed)
  • Worst 2nd Rd pick of Houston, Indy, Miami, and OKC
2028:
  • Spurs or Boston 1st: Spurs get best pick, unless Boston wins lottery
  • Chicago 1st (top 8, if not already conveyed)
  • Boston 2nd (If Boston wins the lottery)
  • Chicago 2nd (If 1st never conveyed)
  • Denver 2nd (protected 31-33)
  • NOLA 2nd
  • Spurs 2nd
2029:
  • Spurs 1st
  • Spurs 2nd
  • NOLA 2nd
2030:
  • Spurs 1st or Dallas 1st: best pick
  • Spurs 2nd

Depth

I don't expect Birch to be with our team, and expect us to trade or cut. Stevens is unguaranteed and will likely be cut or traded. We can carry 20 players until the season starts, then cut down to 15 players and 3 two-ways.

Obviously positions are more fluid than previous years, but just to give an idea:

Post Collins, Bassey, Mamu, Barlow [Two-Way], Bediako [if kept], Birch [if kept]
PF/Stretch Wemby, Sochan, Dougie
Big Wing Keldon, ChampagniePapi, Osman, Bullock, Cissoko, Stevens [if kept]
Lil Wing Vassell, Branham, SirJ Rice [Two-Way]
Point Tre Jones, Graham, Wesley

Ending Contracts

Guys we expect resign or extend

• Devin Vassell: RFA; 5.9mm salary; 17.6mm cap hold; 8.1mm qualifying offer
  • Collins; UFA; 7.7mm, 14.5mm cap hold
  • Mamu: RFA; 2mm salary, 2.5mm cap hold, QO??
  • Barlow: RFA; two-way salary, 1mm cap hold, QO??

Guys that are trade bait or probably gone

• Dougie, UFA, 13.75mm
  • Graham, UFA 12.1mm - he has a contract, but only 2.1mm of 12.1mm is guaranteed, so he is virtually guaranteed to not be a Spurs this time next year
  • Bullock, UFA, 10.5mm
  • Birch, UFA, 7mm
  • Osman, UFA, 6.7mm
  • Stevens, UFA, 1.9mm this year, but this year is unguaranteed, and he likely gets cut for room, despite being a Spurs kind of guy.

That is 51.95mm in ending salaries, minus the 2mm that Graham is guranteed, so about 50mm that opens up.

Collins and Vassell likely take up a lot of that 50mm in room, but their cap holds are only a hair over 30mm. So we could agree to a number and wait until next July to execute it using Bird rights. Assuming they are cool with that, but they would probably rather be guaranteed that money. But that is a lot of HIGHLY movable salaries hanging around.
Guitarsoup
AG
BTW, Zach Lowe said the Spurs were close to giving Austin Reaves the poison pill contract (12.4mm, 12.4mm, 35mm, 35mm max) but ultimately decided against it. No other team was close to it.
superunknown
AG
I heard Javtokas rode off on his motorcycle with Donkey Lady and hasn't been seen in years.
superunknown
AG
I know the spurs are very conservative by nature, and they have to be especially due to finances, but I'm wondering if they're playing it even tighter than usual because they want to be able to pounce on Whoever The Big Free Agent Is each off season and they're unsure on the timing. I think we'll have at least 1 good swing at Big Time Guy...do the Spurs pull the trigger after Wemby year 2? 3? 4? Its gotta be somewhere in there, right?
Guitarsoup
AG
superunknown said:

I know the spurs are very conservative by nature, and they have to be especially due to finances, but I'm wondering if they're playing it even tighter than usual because they want to be able to pounce on Whoever The Big Free Agent Is each off season and they're unsure on the timing. I think we'll have at least 1 good swing at Big Time Guy...do the Spurs pull the trigger after Wemby year 2? 3? 4? Its gotta be somewhere in there, right?
But who is it for 2024?

ATL:
DeJounte Murray? He's not All-Defense anymore (not by a long shot) and his .344 from three this year was his best season since 2019-2020.

Boston:
Jaylen Brown?

Brooklyn:
Dinwiddie or Nic Claxton?

Charlotte:
n/a

Chicago:
DeRozan?

Cleveland:
n/a

Dallas:
Josh Green

Denver:
n/a

Detroit:
James Wiseman RFA

Golden State:
Klay

Houston:
someone that shoots under 40% from the field with more turnovers than assists

Indiana:
Buddy Hield
Jordan Nwora

LAC:
KawhICU (player option)
PG13 (player option)
Batum

LAL:
Anthony Davis (PO)
LeBron James (PO)

Memphis:
Luke Kennard (RFA)

Miami:
Kyle Lowry

Milwaukee:
Grayson Allen
Jrue Holliday (player)

Minnesota
SloMo
Mike Conley

NOLA:
Jonas V

NYKnicks:
Quickley RFA

OKC:
Bertans

Orlando:
Fultz
Gary Harris

Philly:
Tobias
Maxey

Phoenix:
CamPayne

Portland:
n/a

Sacramento:
Malik Monk
Sabonis

Toronto:
OG Anunoby
Pascal

Utah:
Luca Samanic

Washington:
Deni Avidja
Tyus Jones

From that list, I like Grayson Allen, maybe Jordan Nwora, Kyle Lowry or Mike Conley ten years ago, OG Anunoby (if he didn't think he needed to be a bigger part of the offense and accepted he should mainly be a transition or D&3 guy)

I don't think Murray is the guy I thought he was. His defense is not as good, he still hasn't progressed as a shooter, and his off court *****ing is really immature. All the stars that could be available are old and injured more often than not.

Except Jaylen Brown. But Brown was pretty exposed in the playoffs as needing a PG to create for him. His 3pt shooting dipped to .335 this season.

Claxton was shining last year, but Brooklyn will surely keep him.
superunknown
AG
Yeah next year looking pretty trash in FA. Just spit balling and it's been a while since I looked at upcoming free agents over the next couple of years, plus there's always going to be a couple of big trades/disgruntled dudes, etc. It just doesn't feel like the Spurs are going to jump on any "maybes" but only sure things? Like it was obvious when they had TheMarcus lined up in their sights long before it happened. I also feel there's gonna be plenty of veteran contributor types ring chasing and gonna see Wemby in a couple of years and are wanting to hitch along for a while.

And then there's this.

West Texan
AG
I think going forward a team like Brooklyn is who you keep an eye on. They're in a spot between contending and rebuilding and don't have a clear direction yet. They also lack a lot of picks because of previous trades and could be looking to get some draft capital back. You already mentioned Claxton who could potentially be available as a free agent, but they also have Mikal Bridges under contract through 2026. Maybe after this season they start looking to blow it up and make those dudes available via trade. We have lots of draft assets (and probably more to come with moving Bullock, Osman, McBuckets, etc.) that could be moved to get someone like that.
flashplayer
AG
100% they're gonna use one of their picks next year on Bronny and sign Lebron for the vet minimum to lead a bench platoon of

Branham
Bronny
Lebron
Sochan
Insert Big

Sher Thing
AG
I think 2025 is the year if the Spurs want to make a big splash in free agency. There are rumors that another massive salary cap jump will happen that year with guys like Tatum, Donovan Mitchell, Jamal Murray, Cade Cunningham, Evan Mobley, Scottie Barnes, Derrick White, Brandon Ingram being UFA's. Could be older guys available also like PG13, Jimmy Butler, Anthony Davis.

Saying that, I think they are pretty content trying to build through the draft especially if they can somehow manage to work themselves back into a top 5-7 pick in the next draft or two while seeing if they have any potential stars on the roster already.
HummingbirdSaltalamacchia
AG
Sher Thing said:

I think 2025 is the year if the Spurs want to make a big splash in free agency. There are rumors that another massive salary cap jump will happen that year with guys like Tatum, Donovan Mitchell, Jamal Murray, Cade Cunningham, Evan Mobley, Scottie Barnes, Derrick White, Brandon Ingram being UFA's. Could be older guys available also like PG13, Jimmy Butler, Anthony Davis.

Saying that, I think they are pretty content trying to build through the draft especially if they can somehow manage to work themselves back into a top 5-7 pick in the next draft or two while seeing if they have any potential stars on the roster already.

New media deal yes, but the new CBA puts a 10% increase limit on the salary cap. So the max the cap, and both respective aprons, could go up is 10% on the previous year. This cap smoothing was done to eliminate the boondoggle from years back when a bunch of JAGs got massive paydays.
THE_CHOSEN_ONE
Wemby needs to get his head on straight, he shouldn't be out partying in Vegas, slappin around washed up pop stars. This guy is gonna end up like Primo 2.0 if he's not careful.
West Texan
AG
West Texan
AG
THE_CHOSEN_ONE said:

Wemby needs to get his head on straight, he shouldn't be out partying in Vegas, slappin around washed up pop stars. This guy is gonna end up like Primo 2.0 if he's not careful.

Chipotlemonger
AG
THE_CHOSEN_ONE said:

I hope this is sarcastic? He was at dinner at the Aria when this event happened. He is playing tomorrow in Vegas it sounds like. Not like he flew out there for a bender a la Manziel.
hph6203
AG
He needs to leave Britney alone. This kind of behavior is toxic. There will be no forgiveness if he just says "Oops, I did it again" next time.

Drives me crazy seeing these athletes get away with womanizing and treating them like objects they can smack around.
Ag Natural
AG
hph6203 said:

He needs to leave Britney alone. This kind of behavior is toxic. There will be no forgiveness if he just says "Oops, I did it again" next time.

Drives me crazy seeing these athletes get away with womanizing and treating them like objects they can smack around.
It was a security guy weirdo.
hph6203
AG
Clearly not a big Britney Spears fan.

Ag Natural
AG
hph6203 said:

Clearly not a big Britney Spears fan.

I love Britney. I'm also a fan of accuracy. It sounds like one of the security guys unintentionally knocked her down. Kevin Costner in the Bodyguard broke several noses protecting Whitney Houston and never caught any flack.
Obi Wan Ginobili
hph6203 said:

This is funny because it's going to miss 95% of the goobers on this board.
West Texan
AG
hph6203 said:

Maybe she asked him to hit her baby one more time?

…I'll see myself out now
hph6203
AG
It's very dumb of me, but it made me laugh.
LawHall88
AG
Enzo The Baker
AG
LawHall88 said:

The fact that he has to address this is ridiculous. She should be charged for assault based on this account if anything.
West Texan
AG

Hawks all in on Trae and DJ.
Guitarsoup
AG
West Texan said:

Hawks all in on Trae and DJ.

You are virtually guaranteed a top 12 seed with those two. Be dumb not to commit 350MM to them
Sher Thing
AG
I mean that's a decent deal for DJ. Surprised he didn't wait and test FA. I bet he could have gotten a lot more than that.
Aust Ag
AG
I just watched this on the news, pretty funny how he just calls her "this person". Dude has no idea who this woman twice his age is.
superunknown
AG
Sher Thing said:

I mean that's a decent deal for DJ. Surprised he didn't wait and test FA. I bet he could have gotten a lot more than that.

I think he would too, and I'm really glad it won't be from the Spurs.
Ag Natural
AG
superunknown said:

Sher Thing said:

I think he would too, and I'm really glad it won't be from the Spurs.

Yeah, Spurs dodged.a bullet that this new CBA wasn't a year earlier. They increased the max extension numbers to make deals like this more likely. I'd much rather have 2 more 1st rounders and look for PGs who aren't ball stoppers.
superunknown
AG
Also He Capitalizes Every Word On His Social Media and that drives me up the wall.
LawHall88
AG
Enzo The Baker said:

LawHall88 said:

The fact that he has to address this is ridiculous. She should be charged for assault based on this account if anything.
Well her story is different, which is a problem because she isn't a drama queen with mental health issues - oh, wait a minute…
AggieOO
She's 5'4. Can she even reach his shoulder?
LawHall88
AG
AggieOO said:

You would think there would be security camera footage. Seems like the cameras are everywhere in Vegas.
superunknown
AG
guys I suck at photoshop and even worse on mobile but I tried really hard
FTAG 2000
AG
AggieOO said:

That was my immediate reaction to her statement. Zero chance that played out that way. She's a midget compared to him.
First Page Last Page
Page 3 of 103

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.