2024 SEC Baseball Tournament (5/21 - 5/26)

73,459 Views | 897 Replies | Last: 4 mo ago by Hornbeck
Detective Jake Peralta
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Ivy League Tournament is on as well.

They take the top four teams and play a double elimination regional format.

Penn needs 2 wins over Cornell today to clinch the autobid, just went up 2-0 in the bottom of the first.
jkag89
Patriot League title up for grabs also this afternoon, Army vs Navy. Army won Game 1 yesterday so if they win they punch their ticket. If Navy wins, Game 3 tomorrow.

Navy 0 1 0
Army 3 1 0
----------------
Top 5

ESPN+ Video Link

Edit: Sorry Jake, somehow missed your earlier post about this.
Sean98
AG
jkag89 said:

BiochemAg97 said:

jkag89 said:

Okie State gets a bye like OU. OU will face the lowest seeded team to advance from Tuesday's slate of games and oSu the next lowest.

I think the oddity is the highest seeded winners from Tuesday get a bye on Wednesday. If sips beat Tech, they skip Wednesday and end up playing the winner of Oklahoma State vs (5) or (8) On Wednesday.

Harder path for #2 to get to game #12 compared to #3, who also gets a rest day on Wednesday.
Now that is odd. I did not look that far into it since we're not involved. In an attempt to .get as many teams into the NCAAs the conferences have expanded their tournerys to an extent many of them are filled with quirks such as this (or the SEC's double elimination until its not). Now ask Texas St. if they wish the Sun Belt Conference such a quirky set up instead of the the league having a traditional 8 team tourney for a 14 team league.
Many of these smaller conferences limit their post season tourney to help with RPI. Games against the #12 team in the Colonial hurts, even at a neutral site. So a lot of the conferences only allow four teams into the conference tourney. Helps RPI and ensures some bottom dweller doesn't steal a bid.
Sean98
AG
Detective Jake Peralta said:

Penn needs 2 wins over Cornell today to clinch the autobid, just went up 2-0 in the bottom of the first.
This tournament was delayed and moved because of a "carpet failure" impacting the pitching mound. Or maybe, perhaps we shouldn't play baseball on carpet.
jkag89
I understand but the Sun Belt is not a one bid league.
jkag89
Sean98 said:

Detective Jake Peralta said:

This tournament was delayed and moved because of a "carpet failure" impacting the pitching mound. Or maybe, perhaps we shouldn't play baseball on carpet.
Or at the very least have dirt where dirt is suppose to be.
twk
AG
Sean98 said:

ACC and SEC are the best quality of ball but they're boring to me because there's very little on the line.

The Fun Belt, Coastal, A-SUN... Those are the tourneys to watch.
I think day one of the SEC will be an exception to that. With five teams sitting at 13-17, there's a very real chance that the results on that day might be a difference maker. The D1 guys seemed to think that they all get in, which would probably be justified based on the weak bubble this year, but if the committee just decides that 11 is too many, it's hard to believe that the team(s) that ends up on the short end of the stick would be teams that win tomorrow, as opposed to losing tomorrow.
Detective Jake Peralta
AG
All good, you've got a lot to keep track of!
Sean98
AG
Agreed. 1 too many in the Top 8 and 1 too many overall.
twk
AG
Sean98 said:

Agreed. 1 too many in the Top 8 and 1 too many overall.
The UGA - LSU game is perhaps the most interesting. UGA needs to avoid an early exit if they want to make the best case for a top 8 seed. LSU, with the lowest RPI among the five 13-17, probably wouldn't drop far, if at all, with a loss, but might find themselves being compared with another Tuesday loser that beat them head to head (the loser of the Vandy/Florida game, or Bama if they lose to USC).
Sean98
AG
jkag89 said:

I understand but the Sun Belt is not a one bid league.
probably 3. But they have 4-5 teams in consideration. And because they're all good RPI teams like JMU and Troy can play their way in with a good week. They're 17/18 wins in conference but 45-55 in RPI now. If they played the bottom end of that conference it could move the 30s to 40s, etc
Sean98
AG
Went and looked. Bottom 5 teams in the Sun Belt are 104-265. That would be awful, especially if they snuck up and won one.
stretch248
It was a hot one today in Bham area and looks the same for the next few days.
TheBonifaceOption
stretch248 said:

It was a hot one today in Bham area and looks the same for the next few days.
I got double headers all week with my kids. I have no sympathy the SECT participants.
KellyMom77
Are bubbles allowed in Hoover?
BadMoonRisin
AG
Sean98
AG
Looks like they're going to implement the double 1st base bag at Hoover
BiochemAg97
AG
Sean98 said:

Looks like they're going to implement the double 1st base bag at Hoover

Maybe that indicates we will get the double bag for SEC games next year.
trouble
AG
I like it
dermdoc
AG
jkag89 said:

AgEng06 said:

Here's to playing in all of the late games.
The late games tend to be very late especially when weather is added to the mix but since we are in that bracket, here's to playing evening games until the weekend.
I am off Thursday so I am loving it.
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
Sean98
AG
Penn now up 7-2, b5 over Cornell. Winner qualifies for the post-season. Loser starts summer school.
Sean98
AG
Penn may have run out of pitching. Lots of traffic in the 5th but the wriggled out of it. I'm the 6th went single, double, K, double, HR, single... Pitching change.

Penn going to a guy that threw in 2 games yesterday. Up 7-6 with 1 out, runner at 1st. Gets a line drive double play to the first baseman.
Sean98
AG
Penn reliever melting down now. Walk to load the bases, bases loaded walk, WP to the backstop, another walk to load them back up.

They must have no one in the pen or the Coach hates this kid. He's still in.

In Aggie related news, Wyatt Hensler hit a monster HR in the 2nd and has crushed 2 other balls right at the 3B for line drive outs.

...now Cornell goes to the pen... they bring in a kid that threw 87 pitches in Game 1 EARLIER TODAY.
Sean98
AG
Big three run triple stretches the Penn lead to 12-6. Hensler may get a little more NCAA seasoning before he moves to Aggieland (or goes to the MLB, but let's pray for Aggieland).
BQ_90
AG
Are we in a rain delay yet
MR Gadsden
Penn punches their ticket!
Sean98
AG
Watching the D1 Hoover preview and I didn't realize they had moved the fences in at Hoover (maybe a year or two ago?).
W
AG
so A&M will play the Ole Miss-State winner on Wednesday

the Ags have only played State once in Hoover...in the Ags' first SEC tournament in 2013

A&M has played Ole Miss 3 times in Hoover -- most notably in the semifinals on the way to the 2016 title

I believe that was the Walker Pennington pinch-home run game
W
AG
the 2 teams that A&M seemingly plays every year in Hoover -- Florida and Vanderbilt -- are on the Ags' side of the bracket

fairly decent chance the Ags will see at least one of them again
W
AG
will be interesting to see how Georgia and South Carolina do tomorrow

if I recall correctly...they usually exit quickly from Hoover...on a very regular basis
Sean98
AG
UGa is usually running on fumes because they've had to win 4 weeks in a row to have a chance. Should be a little different this year.

USCe on the other hand... I guess they should be desperate? I'd have them out right now. Their coach might get canned if they go 0-1.
PhatMack19
AG
jkag89
FullDraw
AG
This Willner team Thursday at 8pm. I want to know more about this team.

And thank you. Bookmarked!
dixichkn
AG
I kinda wish we were playing the day games. 1) for some odd reason we've been crushing the ball and scoring a ton in our day starts of late. Night games, not so much. Maybe just odd coincidence but something I've noticed. 2) I have to be back home first thing Sat morning so that eliminates me getting to see any Fri night game. The earlier game, I might've had a chance. Sucks for me I guess

First trip to Hoover. Can't wait!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.