2024 SEC Baseball Tournament (5/21 - 5/26)

67,896 Views | 897 Replies | Last: 28 days ago by Hornbeck
missinAggieland
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
dixichkn said:

I have to admit I'd have rather played Ole Piss to take out some payback

But seeing sad OM be sad never breaks my heart

Their fans are an interesting bunch right now on Twitter.

They're handling the loss as expected - sarcasm mixed with "Fire Bianco" and other fun names for their HC.
dallasiteinsa02
This has to hurt.

TheBonifaceOption
Charlie 31 said:

dcg4403 said:

I think this A&M needs a good showing in the tourney. Mailing it in for the Regional round is a mistake IMO. Not saying you go as far as pitching Prager at least until Game 3. But we need the mid-season momentum and energy back. Yes, Braden, I am talking specifically to you.

This team should make it to the semis worse-case. If not, I am going into the NCAA being a very nervous fan.

Plus I want to play Vols!!

I think what you hope for, when the Bats have been cooling, is that you play loose. Enjoy the game.

Schloss' approach has always been about breathing and not being anxious. If we play like these games don't matter, and these really DONT, we might accidentally go far in the conference tourney.
LB12Diamond
AG
Pretty sure every SEC coach so far that has been interviewed has stated "culture".

Clearly it's the focused buzz word at this present time.
A-A Ron
So looking at the Big 12 tournament, TCU gets punished for winning while Kansas gets rewarded for it (granted seeding plays into it), TCU won and has to play today, while Kansas won and gets today off. If TCU loses today they play again tomorrow and if they win each after that they could end up playing 5 games in 4 days and the 5th game is only the semi finals, with a double header on Friday. Needless to say I don't see them surviving that its just one quirky bracket.
Decay
AG
All of this conference tourney talk makes me want to just make the SEC single elimination. Byes are fine but let's just cut the pretense. Eight teams faced single elimination already so what's the difference if a few more teams do as well?
trouble
AG
I think next year is all single elimination.
Decay
AG
trouble said:

With the new... uh, friends joining the conference, that makes sense. Nothing more satisfying than bouncing a team straight to offseason in one W
aeroag14
AG
Looking at all of the 13-17 SEC teams. Yesterday was a really good day for the league in terms of teams getting into the tourney.

USC probably need a win to secure their spot. RPI is up to 19, dont see how RPI 19 gets left out.

Alabama is probably in for sure as will despite the loss. RPI is at 18. Feel like that is a lock

Vandy jumped up a few spots with a win to 23. Playing top 5 RPI in Tenn should at the very least hold their RPI where it is at. If they knock off Tenn they will be top 20 RPI and a lock to be in. But even with a loss they are going to be hard to pass unless there are a lot of bid stealers.

LSU up a few spots to 27. Similar to Vandy. Top 30ish RPIs are tough to pass up. Unless there are a bunch of bid stealers.

Floridas chances took a slight hit but RPI of 28, above .500 and #1 SOS is still a viable resume.

I am going to guess at this point that barring some other teams collapsing, the committee is going to have to put ~4 of those 13-17 SEC teams in the field because the RPIs are so high. Tough call on which team gets left out in the cold. Guessing right now it is LSU or Florida. Gut says that its LSU out in the cold right now. But, unlike Florida, LSU still has a chance to help their RPI. If they were to knock off Kentucky today, that might be enough to put them in.
TheBonifaceOption
Decay said:

trouble said:

With the new... uh, friends joining the conference, that makes sense. Nothing more satisfying than bouncing a team straight to offseason in one W
Well instead of having a 14 team conference invite 12 teams and do a weird single-double-single elimination with 4 byes (17 games), we could just have a simple 16 team bracket (15 games).
TheBonifaceOption
Decay said:

All of this conference tourney talk makes me want to just make the SEC single elimination. Byes are fine but let's just cut the pretense. Eight teams faced single elimination already so what's the difference if a few more teams do as well?

Gotta protect your top 4 from single elimination.

Even if they lose their first, to manage perception you intend them to be able to win at least 1 of 2 games. If they lose 2 games straight, that's on them. You protected them as much as plausible with a) a favorable seeding, b) a bye and c) the ability to lose a game
twk
AG
aeroag14 said:

Looking at all of the 13-17 SEC teams. Yesterday was a really good day for the league in terms of teams getting into the tourney.

USC probably need a win to secure their spot. RPI is up to 19, dont see how RPI 19 gets left out.

Alabama is probably in for sure as will despite the loss. RPI is at 18. Feel like that is a lock

Vandy jumped up a few spots with a win to 23. Playing top 5 RPI in Tenn should at the very least hold their RPI where it is at. If they knock off Tenn they will be top 20 RPI and a lock to be in. But even with a loss they are going to be hard to pass unless there are a lot of bid stealers.

LSU up a few spots to 27. Similar to Vandy. Top 30ish RPIs are tough to pass up. Unless there are a bunch of bid stealers.

Floridas chances took a slight hit but RPI of 28, above .500 and #1 SOS is still a viable resume.

I am going to guess at this point that barring some other teams collapsing, the committee is going to have to put ~4 of those 13-17 SEC teams in the field because the RPIs are so high. Tough call on which team gets left out in the cold. Guessing right now it is LSU or Florida. Gut says that its LSU out in the cold right now. But, unlike Florida, LSU still has a chance to help their RPI. If they were to knock off Kentucky today, that might be enough to put them in.
Florida is the most vulnerable of the five. They have impressive series wins, but that overall record is a big negative. It may not keep them out, but I think they will be the only one of the five really sweating it out come Monday.
Decay
AG
TheBonifaceOption said:

Decay said:

Gotta protect your top 4 from single elimination.

Even if they lose their first, to manage perception you intend them to be able to win at least 1 of 2 games. If they lose 2 games straight, that's on them. You protected them as much as plausible with a) a favorable seeding, b) a bye and c) the ability to lose a game

But I think people have come to accept the top 4 seeds are elite, and heck I'd argue going 2-and-bbq is a bigger risk of harming top seeds than "that's how the baseball go" dropping a game.
Decay
AG
Aggie xfer Robert Hogan pitching for UK. Looks pretty good.
Sea Pony 07
AG
It would have been nice to have kept Hogan.
TheBonifaceOption
I'll admit, I haven't watched a full UK game this season.

But I sure hope their record means they beat LSU. Tigahs lead 2-0 mid 3
Aggies2009
AG
Whoever said Tommy White looks like Erlich Bachman... I can't unsee it.
PhatMack19
AG
K on a hit by pitch. That's a good call

I hate the rule that it's an auto strike though.
Decay
AG
Finally called a lean in HBP strike. Glad they upheld it.
TheBonifaceOption
PhatMack19 said:

What's hilarious is it was ball 4
TheBonifaceOption
Aggies2009 said:

You never made the TJ miller connection with white?
Aggies2009
AG
TheBonifaceOption said:

Aggies2009 said:

I didn't! Did he look different last year or something? LOL
Decay
AG
PhatMack19 said:

Agree, should be an out
TheBonifaceOption
TheBonifaceOption said:

Aggies2009 said:

fwiw, all husky gingers with facial hair look like TJ Miller
TheBonifaceOption
UK batter had to run to 1st with the bat bc he couldn't pry it off bc of too much stickem

That should be an out, imho.
10Aggie10
AG
TheBonifaceOption said:

Decay said:

trouble said:

Well instead of having a 14 team conference invite 12 teams and do a weird single-double-single elimination with 4 byes (17 games), we could just have a simple 16 team bracket (15 games).

Y'all will be pleased to know that starting next year, the SEC tournament does indeed go to single elimination AND every team will be invited. A simple 16-team, single elimination bracket
twk
AG
Quote:

A simple 16-team, single elimination bracket
Not quite that simple, as there are two levels of byes, but, yes, single elimination.
10Aggie10
AG
twk said:

Quote:

A simple 16-team, single elimination bracket
Not quite that simple, as there are two levels of byes, but, yes, single elimination.

Haha true. I should know that since I started the thread about next years tournament and posted the bracket.
10Aggie10
AG
The Big 12 working hard to steal a bid. All of the lower seeds won yesterday, but who knows what will happen in their crazy bracket.
Maybe 2-seed Okie Lite will come through after getting tceh for their first round (quarterfinal) game
AgEng06
AG
I hate that LSU is looking good. Why can't they just be awful for once?
RED AG 98
AG
Their pitching has really come on of late. No doubt in my mind they win their Regional, wherever they travel.
TheBonifaceOption
RED AG 98 said:

Their pitching has really come on of late. No doubt in my mind they win their Regional, wherever they travel.

I can see them dropping one of the first games, then struggling to get to game 7
Agsncws
AG
Has anyone mentioned that LSU has a no hitter going? At least according to the gametracker Im eyeing, LSU has a no hitter going. Boy what are the odds. Dont see many no hitters at the SEC tournament.

Yeah, a no hitter going. Zero hits for Kentucky today. No hitter.
AgEng06
AG
WOW, YOU ARE CORRECT. LSU CURRENTLY HAS A NO HITTER GOING AGAINST UK.

no hitter
PhatMack19
AG
Jones blows it open in the 7th with a grand slam

6-0 LSU

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.