2024 SEC Baseball Tournament (5/21 - 5/26)

73,455 Views | 897 Replies | Last: 4 mo ago by Hornbeck
W
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
the lions were not hungry
Luke The Drifter
AG
W said:

Add this to the list of things that will never not be funny.

But those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint. Isaiah 40:31 (NIV)
LB12Diamond
AG
Sean98 said:

Ding dong, sips are done.

They were just meaningless midweek games.

I think the sips are 0-7 at the hibachi.
Sean98
AG
Texas down to 45 in the RPI
Luke The Drifter
AG
Won't matter. We all know where they'll be assigned on selection day.
But those who hope in the LORD will renew their strength. They will soar on wings like eagles; they will run and not grow weary, they will walk and not be faint. Isaiah 40:31 (NIV)
Sq 17
Sean98 said:

Texas down to 45 in the RPI
three seed in CS
dixichkn
AG
Sean98 said:

Ding dong, sips are done.

They'll make somebody a nice 3 seed
dabo man
AG
If they sent tu to our regional, not only do I want all season ticket holders refusing to sell to them, I want to see us pounding their ticket office and eating into their allotment.

#OrangeFreeOlsen
twk
AG
Luke The Drifter said:

W said:

I will give $100 to whoever does the music as Olsen if we play Sangria Wine as a (unspoken ) tribute to Soggy for their first conference game.
trouble
AG
Does that coach's jersey say cheeseburger?
src94
AG
It's very close to that.
Bondag
AG
Why does SEC Network use tournament rankings on box score but national rankings on scroll
Sea Pony 07
AG
twk said:

Luke The Drifter said:

W said:

I will give $100 to whoever does the music as Olsen if we play Sangria Wine as a (unspoken ) tribute to Soggy for their first conference game.

Or red red wine.
HJack20
AG
Seems odd that there's no benefit to being in the winners bracket once you get to the semi-final. Usually the losers bracket team has to win twice, right?
AG
HJack20 said:

Seems odd that there's no benefit to being in the winners bracket once you get to the semi-final. Usually the losers bracket team has to win twice, right?

Saving teams from having to throw too many arms right before the real tourney. 6 games in 6 days is already brutal, 7 games in 6 days would be hell.
203Raggie
AG
The SEC tournament is a test of attrition for those teams that needs wins badly. Glad we aren't in the position to need to make drastic moves like having our ace throw 7 innings on 4 days rest.

Looking at you LSU.
LB12Diamond
AG
The announcers last night stated it perfectly. Teams that have already done the work to receive a national seed are not going to use their go to guys until they have rested their normal amount.

This tournament is nothing like the real post season. So don't stress at all with anything that takes place. Just make sure your team is healthy. Two top national seeds will be going home today and it does not matter for them bc they will be playing at home next week on plenty of rest.
203Raggie
AG
Exactly what I'm saying. I love the SEC tournament. But I love it even more when we can relax and not stress the wins.

LSU is in a very different boat
LB12Diamond
AG
Last year we were LSU. Needed wins in Hoover. Made it to the final.

Last year LSU was us. Had a top seed wrapped up. Did very little in Hoover.

Anyone happen to remember what took place after Hoover last year?
203Raggie
AG
Hoping for the same. Once the regionals start, it's almost a crapshoot on who shows up. God forbid we struggle a little bit and get a hungry team like Fresno State back in 2008 or whatever.

Or Stony Brook in 2012.

Or Coastal Carolina in 2016.
BadMoonRisin
AG
Exactly, im just enjoying the bonus baseball, but not fretting about the results.

We are right where we want to be. Top 5 seed already. Even if we win the whole damn thing, what does that really get us? And at what cost?

The other teams that are try-hard are trying to improve their positions or even make it to the tournament at all.
Decay
AG
Yep. I would love to be good enough to win the SEC tournament without stress but even all time great teams have gotten bounced in two games. Which is why frankly I was so disappointed last year to lose in the final. It was the right time to really go for it and came up short.
92Ag95
AG
LB12Diamond said:

I see what you're insinuating...but....Texas A&M. We ALWAYS find a way to avoid success.
LB12Diamond
AG
Schloss not throwing our starters until they complete their normal rest is the opposite of what you are insinuating.
Decay
AG
The SEC isn't fair. Give Schloss a chance to really build this thing... He's gotten us to basically our best team in school history and it's top 3-4 in the SEC. Our baseball history is good but not elite. And it's only year 3.

All that to say, enjoy it now. It's fun. Excess worrying about losing a Wednesday game is just going to drive yourself insane.
Warsteiner
I'm more worried about how our hitting has been. I'm hoping it heats back up for the regional
tigerag
AG
92Ag95 said:

LB12Diamond said:

I see what you're insinuating...but....Texas A&M. We ALWAYS find a way to avoid success.

This is a LOSER mentality. Be better
twk
AG
Warsteiner said:

I'm more worried about how our hitting has been. I'm hoping it heats back up for the regional
Facing teams with an RPI above 35 at Olsen seems like a pretty good prescription for our hitting to get well.
Iraq2xVeteran
AG
Historically, the double-elimination format has proven to heavily favor the top four seeds. All 10 of the tournaments that have used the 12-team, modified double-elimination format have been won by a team that got a first-round bye. It used to even been rare for a team that played on Tuesday to advance to the championship game, though that's now happened in four of the last five tournaments.

This year, however, may be precedent breaking. On Wednesday, all four of the top seeds lost their opening game at Hoover Metropolitan Stadium. The day started with LSU blitzing No. 3 Kentucky, 11-0, in eight innings. South Carolina edged No. 2 Arkansas, 6-5. Vanderbilt routed archrival No. 1 Tennessee, 13-4. Mississippi State pushed past No. 4 Texas A&M, 5-3. It was the first time since 2010 that the top four seeds all lost their first game in the SEC Tournament.

Ironically, this is the final year of this format at the SEC Tournament. Starting in 2025, following the addition of Oklahoma and Texas, the tournament will expand to include all 16 teams. It will be a modified single-elimination format. Teams seeded 9-16 will play each other in the first round. Teams seeded 5-8 receive one bye and the top four teams will receive double byes. That format will likely again heavily favor the top four seeds.

https://www.baseballamerica.com/stories/sec-tournament-upsets-have-championship-favorites-on-brink-of-elimination/
Detective Jake Peralta
AG
Warsteiner said:

I was encouraged by our bats last night. We scalded a lot of balls right at them and hit a few that probably would've left the yard at Olsen.
92Ag95
AG
tigerag said:

92Ag95 said:

LB12Diamond said:

This is a LOSER mentality. Be better
Whatever you call it...it is a mentality forged from years, no decades, of dashed hopes & unfulfilled hype. If you are able to stay so positive in the face of continual let down then I'm really happy for you.

This year has held more promise than most and I'm hopeful...but how do you go into the top of the 9th tied with a chance to walk it off if you can keep it there....and then roll out the red carpet for 3 base runners? It most definitely fits the pattern.
LB12Diamond
AG
So the top 4 SEC teams play today. Pretty much projected to all be top 5 national seeds. It's going to be interesting to see if the two games today are used to determine seed placement for these four teams or it pretty much means nothing.

Actually prefer Kentucky winning this one to keep Hogs below us.
LB12Diamond
AG
Did you miss the tennis NC and individual golf NC this past week?

FYI, Texas A&M did pretty well.
Sharpshooter
AG
Heck of a HR stealing catch by Kentucky outfielder. Very Sorrellesque
dixichkn
AG
I believe Kentucky already has more hits off Hagen in the bottom of the second than we managed all day

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.