Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

******************SCOTCH*****************

263,448 Views | 1650 Replies | Last: 7 days ago by betadawg1
AgInSingapore
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Oh yeah, good choice, unpeated Islay is good juice. Bunna is good and they do quite a few different bottlings that won't break the bank. Or you get some of that 25 year old stuff and break the bank hahaha.
AgInSingapore
AG
Don't waste your time with Macallan Harmony second edition it's tasty but not up to the hype compared to the first edition. Just falls flat
AgInSingapore
AG
Found a bottle of the Macallan Harmony first edition today, little bottle shop was asking 200 for it so I passed but I'm thinking hard about going back next week for it...
Bigfootisreal
I bought a 33 year old Berry Bros & Rudd bottling of an Invergordon distillate from Total Wine a few months back. Decided to crack it on my bday this week. Holy cow it is amazing to say the least. Color is not very dark at all for being cask strength (107.4) and 33 years old. Nose is complex- tons fo fruit, honey and maybe even hay. Taste is exquisite - just tons of apple, pear, maybe some apricot followed by grain and honey. Great mouthfeel and a huge, lingering finish that just keeps flavors rolling with no discernible alcohol burn. Just a huge, complex, yet easy to drink scotch. The wife, who is a proud hater of most scotches, absolutely loved it.
AgInSingapore
AG
Be careful, my wife is sneaky good at identifying what she likes and then next thing I know I'm loading her up with high dollar bottles!
AgInSingapore
AG
2023 Ardbeg Committee Release 'Heavy Vapours' on pre-order at Total Wine Concierge if anyone is interested, $159.97, 50.2% ABV
AgBQ-00
AG
That sounds tasty.
AgInSingapore
AG
I ordered 2, have a third that's supposedly going to be held aside for me at another spot, we'll see. Trying to get all my Islays 3 deep in the collection, along with some others, so I can have one open and two as backup of each. Problem is I tend to open the backups if I like something!
TAM85
Has anyone had any issues with a crumbling cork when you opened a bottle of scotch? I opened a Macallan 12 that I received as a gift. The cork broke and I used a corkscrew to get it out, but it started crumbling and I lost some into the bottle.

I have had this scotch before and the taste of the scotch seems in this bottle seems off, but Macallan says the whiskey should be fine. I offered to return the rest of the bottle and Macallan offered to send a new cork. That seems to be pretty lame response.
87Flyfisher
AG
I had it happen with a Glen Scotia Victoriana. I was lucky to have another cork top that fit. I think the bottle was fine but I had never tasted that whisky before to compare it to.
AgInSingapore
AG
I have only had this happen to bottles I have had in my collection for a long time, and I didn't lay them over for a few hours to wet the cork before opening. Not had a fresh purchase from the store do this (have had glue on synthetic corks fail). Your cork may have had a weak spot and it gave way when you opened it. If there is a lot of cork in the liquid, you can pour through a small filter and have no worries about drinking it, it's what I've done.
TAM85
Yes, i will try pouring it through a coffe filter, thanks.

My bottle was bought 4-5 years ago and stored up right in a dark cabinet. There was some cork residue aroind the glass. At the top of the neck.

But my biggest disappointment was Macallan's response.

I guess there are other scotches. You guys have any recs in the $90 to 150 range. I don't think I would like peatier options.
AgInSingapore
AG
Glendronach 15 year
AgInSingapore
AG
Glendronach 15 year old
TAM85
On it, thanks. Have you tried Oban 14?
AgInSingapore
AG
Oh yeah, Oban 14 is a great pour in my opinion as well as some others on this thread.

One distillery that doesn't get a lot of pub is Old Pulteney, which is a costal single malt from the fishing village of Wick. Not sure if it still is, but was once the northernmost distillery on the mainland. Great little dram.
Average Joe
AG
My mom went to London for the king nonsense. Any recommendations for something she can bring back you can't get stateside?
AgBQ-00
AG
Oban is one of my favorites. If you like lighter, more fruity flavors you might start trying a few speysides.
AgInSingapore
AG
World of Whisky at Heathrow will have travel exclusive stuff, if you like peat and smoke she can probably get Ardbeg's Vapour Trails
AgInSingapore
AG
Got the latest Penderyn Icons of Wales No. 9, The Headliner, at Spec's today for my wife, this one is matured in Jamaican Rum and Ruby Port casks.
txag2k
AG
This does not sound pleasant to me but would like to hear other's thoughts.
AgInSingapore
AG
Gonna be a no for me, and I enjoy tequila every now and then.
Dr. Not Yet Dr. Ag
Made a trip to the Mecca

No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
SpiderDude
AG
Enjoy. After backpacking Europe I felt that two places stood out for their postcard ready beauty. The Greek Isles and Scotland...albeit for vastly different reasons (obviously). Scotland is just an amazing and beautiful place with beautiful people.
AgInSingapore
AG
Went ahead and relieved the little liquor store of their lone bottle of Macallan Harmony Rich Cacao today, so happy to have that in the bunker for future consumption since I killed my other bottle a while back.
Johnsy3
AG
Has anyone here had the Lagavulin Offerman edition? There's a couple in stock at a specs near me and I'm very interested in it

Edit: apparently there's 3 different versions
AgBQ-00
AG
The newest one Charred Oak is very good. I enjoyed the bottle I had of it way too quickly
AgInSingapore
AG
Total Wine Concierge has a new Ardbeg available called BizzareBQ, $79.97 a bottle, pre-order for fall delivery. I grabbed 2 because why not.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Let us know how it is, I saw that one announced somewhere recently.
AgInSingapore
AG
Will do, gonna be a few months before it arrives, hopefully it shows up the same time as a random early cool front.

If this pre-order is anything like the other ones I have done, Spec's will have it on the shelf a month or two before Total Wine tells me mine is ready for pickup!
AgBQ-00
AG
It sounds delicious. May have to order a bottle of it.
AgInSingapore
AG
Do it, heck you've got BQ in your handle it's a must!
Chipotlemonger
AG
Well I'll be damned. I half wondered if my wife came and checked out this thread when I opened up my birthday gift earlier. Have loved all of the other Ardbeg's I've had or tried, looking forward to popping this one open. I will let y'all know how it tastes when I do that.

MediAg13
AG
Anyone ever come across Balvenie Doublewood 17? Just about my favorite scotch and my last bottle is about empty. Haven't seen it in a long while.
AgInSingapore
AG
Oh man, I've got a couple on pre-order from TW, gotta know you're feedback on this. Also what an awesome gift, she good

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.