Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

******************SCOTCH*****************

270,208 Views | 1656 Replies | Last: 8 days ago by AgInSingapore
Johnsy3
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I'm definitely in for a Texags bottle of Scotch
drred4
I am not a peat person. So For me I would look at Balvenie, Glenmorangie or Macallan. Not sure what I would choose, maybe look at tasting notes or maybe a year or something that intrigues you.

I have had glenmorangie signet and aslo Balvenie portwood 21 and they were both real smooth. Almost too smooth for me as I like hotter pours
Johnsy3
AG
I love the Balvenie 21, but that's a couple hundred dollars less than your $500. I don't know much about bottles in that price range.
HysteriAg
AG
I mean, it doesn't have to be $500. I'm just using that as my high end, so I don't get too crazy! I'll look into the suggestions so far. I've liked other Balvenies, so I'm sure I would like the 21.

Thanks for the suggestions so far. I'm still open for other suggestions if anyone else wants to chime in.
txam92
AG
I'd throw Highland Park 21 on your consideration list. Balvenie 21 is also quite nice as is King Alex (which you've already had). I gave someone who "dislkies Scotch" a taste of King Alex and their response after tasting it was "this is really good! I'd drink more if it was like this" LOL....
AgBQ-00
AG
I love the Balvenie 21 Portwood. Have a bottle for special occasions that my wife gave me for our 10th anniversary.

Have a very generous friend that let me have a dram of it when I was first thinking about Scotch. It is the drink that set me on my Scotch journey.
AgBQ-00
AG
BTW, update on my fact gathering progress. I have an inquiry out to Talisker about if we can make a Cask Selection bottling happen. Will update as I get information.
AgBQ-00
AG
Well I think any of the Diageo distilleries are out of contention.

Quote:

Many thanks for your enquiry which was forwarded to me by Talisker distillery.

Talisker distillery is owned by the Diageo group, and we do run a cask-purchase programme called "Casks of Distinction". In this programme, Diageo selects a handful of casks each year from the stocks of our various distilleries (and which may occasionally include a Talisker cask), for sale exclusively to private clients.

Only fully-mature casks containing whisky of outstanding quality are selected for Casks of Distinction typically these are 20 years or older, with prices starting at 200,000. Diageo does not offer new-fill or younger single casks for private purchase. While Casks of Distinction are all ready to bottle immediately, we do offer cask owners the option in most cases to further age their casks for up to five additional years, before bottling.

All pricing quoted is inclusive of bottling costs, packaging and insurance but would be net of taxes and duty, and therefore considered to be 'under bond'. The buyer assumes the cost of all relevant taxes and duties, and also the shipping of the goods (although we can support where necessary). We can also offer favourable terms on storage and brokerage after the product has been bottled.

This service is available exclusively via ourselves, and so if this is of interest, do let me know and we can take the conversation forward.

Kind regards,
AgInSingapore
AG
It has been many years since I looked into buying newly filled casks from distilleries over there (I think about 2006 or 2007) and had good feedback from some of the smaller distilleries but never pulled the trigger on getting one, even though I should have.

Two that I remember offering this program off the top of my head were Glenglassaugh and Glengoyne. My buddy in TN has multiple casks of Glengoyne that he purchased newly filled and I think they will soon be put in bottle and shipped to him. I believe the distilleries owned by the heavy hitters (Diageo and the like) will all give you the same answer you got and shared here.
AgBQ-00
AG
My next inquiry is to Balvenie. So, we shall see. I will keep giving updates as they come in.
Cyprian
AG
AgBQ-00 said:

My next inquiry is to Balvenie. So, we shall see. I will keep giving updates as they come in.
"The hero we need, but not the one we deserve"

Good luck
MediAg13
AG
AgBQ-00 said:

If y'all go for Balvenie I am in
Chipotlemonger
AG
Thanks for posting the info and response! Wish the news were better. Agreed that maybe a smaller place would be easier to work it out with.
AgInSingapore
AG
You can get a new filled cask from Isle of Arran distillers (the Lochranza Distillery), first fill ex-bourbon barrel GBP 5000 or first fill ex-sherry hogshead GBP 6650 as per their 2023 offering.

There are other costs associated (bottling, shipping, duty, etc. etc.) but that looks to be your upfront expense and those include ten year storage and insurance.
AgBQ-00
AG
I'll check them out. Thanks!!
AgBQ-00
AG
No on the Balvenie

"Thank you for your enquiry, expressing an interest in a private bottling of the above Single Malt Scotch Whisky.

We greatly appreciate your interest and your support for our brands, but I can confirm that we do not sell any of our Single Malt Scotch Whisky's to anyone in anything other than as bottled product, as we need all of the maturing spirit for our own uses.

I am afraid therefore that we cannot offer you a cask sale or a special bottling of this spirit for you, but thank you again for your interest - and hope that you continue to enjoy our brands.

Best regards"
AgInSingapore
AG
Been pretty quiet around these parts, added a few bottles to the collection. Some I have already had and just didn't have on the wall and some I have yet to try.

Ardbeg Corryvreckan
Ardbeg Wee Beastie
Ardbeg Triagh Bhan 19 Year Batch 3
Ardbeg Ardcore non committee day release
Bowmore 15
Bunnahabhain Feis Ile 2022 Abhainn Araig
Laphroaig Cairdeas 2022 Warehouse 1
Talisker 18 Year, old packaging
Glenmorangie Astar
Glenmorangie Spios
drred4
What year was the Astar?
AgInSingapore
AG
It's an old one from 2017, that's the year it was released and seems this store has just had it on the shelf. Clearly no longer on the shelf.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Started a new job. May need to splurge on a bottle gift to myself when that first paycheck hits.
txag2k
AG
Chipotlemonger said:

Started a new job. May need to splurge on a bottle gift to myself when that first paycheck hits.
Congrats!
AgInSingapore
AG
Very nice!
Cromagnum
AG
How is that Talisker 18? I've only found the 15 in a bar once and it was awesome.
AgInSingapore
AG
Phenomenal, best Talisker I've had and buy the 18 whenever I see it. Would love to try some of the older offerings (25 and 30 year) but stumbling across those isn't likely in the cards.
drred4
ok, makes sense of two bottles of it stored in my cabinet. I was wondering if they started making a new batch of it again. I liked it and realized that it had limited quantity so bought a few more to have one day
Chipotlemonger
AG
Anyone have any personal opinion on Signatory and their bottlings? Local shop has some to choose from.
AgInSingapore
AG
I enjoy the Signatory Vintage Cask Strength stuff in the odd shaped bottles with the large wooden stopper.
Bigfootisreal
Opened a bottle of Glendronach Revival 15 year that I picked up during last years dollar sale at Twin. Fantastic stuff. I read all the descriptors but couldn't smell a damn thing. Might be the allergies. Flavor was out of this world tho- stone fruits- fig and apricot with a little bit of oak on the finish. Might even be better than my favorite- Glenfiddich 18!
AgInSingapore
AG
The 15 year is so good, only behind the 21 and yet way less expensive.
Chipotlemonger
AG
Had a pour of Oban 14 tonight out at dinner. Pretty good. Fruit-forward scotch to me. Nice, but I'd have to revisit again to form a better opinion. I think I prefer the more peaty styles in general though.
Cromagnum
AG
Chipotlemonger said:

Had a pour of Oban 14 tonight out at dinner. Pretty good. Fruit-forward scotch to me. Nice, but I'd have to revisit again to form a better opinion. I think I prefer the more peaty styles in general though.

I always have a bottle of Oban in my cabinet. Recently found an Oban 18 which is outstanding but its still not overly peaty. Have you tried anything from Springbank?
Chipotlemonger
AG
No I have not
Cromagnum
AG
Chipotlemonger said:

No I have not

Try to find you a bottle of Springbank 12 or especially Longrow 12 if you want it more peaty. These won't be like Lagavulin, Laphroaig, or Ledaig though depending how much bog water you like.
BBRex
AG
Picked up something to celebrate our anniversary. Lagavulin Distiller's Edition double matured in Pedro Ximenez seasoned in American Oak Casks. Smoky, fruity, spicy goodness.

Chipotlemonger
AG
Chipotlemonger said:

Ended up getting a Bunnahabhain 12 for this. I was drawn to it because I have liked the other Islays I've gotten.

Sampled an Arran 10 on the same outing. It was nice, but I went with the other one over it. We shall see.

Store also had an Ardbeg Uigeadail that I definitely intend to try down the road. Wasn't looking for that much strength on today's purchase though.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.