Food & Spirits
Sponsored by

******************SCOTCH*****************

263,513 Views | 1650 Replies | Last: 8 days ago by betadawg1
John Francis Donaghy
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Cromagnum said:

John Francis Donaghy said:

Gut reaction from me in that range is GlenDronach Parliament 21 Year. One of the very richest sweetest sherry scotches I've ever had. Would be great for a special occasion for sherried scotch lovers. Runs low $200s last I bought one, but that's been a couple years ago now, might be a little more expensive today.

Have had younger Glendronachs but not this one. I do know Glenfarclas 21 is also outstanding.
If you love rich sweet sherried scotch, the 21 is about as good as it gets. It really is the color you see in the picture, and GlenDronach does not use any artificial coloring in their products. So every bit of the deep reddish brown color you see in the picture comes from sherry casks. And it tastes exactly how you'd expect it to taste based on that color.

mazag08
AG

Gut reaction from me in that range is GlenDronach Parliament 21 Year. One of the very richest sweetest sherry scotches I've ever had. Would be great for a special occasion for sherried scotch lovers. Runs low $200s last I bought one, but that's been a couple years ago now, might be a little more expensive today.
If you ever see this again, buy it for me. I'll pay you a premium for it.
John Francis Donaghy
Ha, you've been too deep in the bourbon game with talk like that. It's not hard to find at all if you shop at stores with decent scotch selections. I think I saw some sitting on the shelf last time I went to my local Total Wine a few weeks ago. No need for hunting or paying premiums. It does seem to take some time to restock when it sells out, but it's always back on the shelf within a month or so. A phone call or two to find a store with some on the shelf should do the trick.
mazag08
AG

Ha, you've been too deep in the bourbon game with talk like that. It's not hard to find at all if you shop at stores with decent scotch selections. I think I saw some sitting on the shelf last time I went to my local Total Wine a few weeks ago. No need for hunting or paying premiums. It does seem to take some time to restock when it sells out, but it's always back on the shelf within a month or so. A phone call or two to find a store with some on the shelf should do the trick.

Hootie
AG
Cromagnum said:

mazag08 said:

If you can find it (good luck), I've heard the Bruichladdich Black Art series of releases is amazing.

I have heard this as well and have only ever seen one bottle in person before about a year ago. I scoffed at the near $400 price on it back then too at that time but might reconsider it now.
I have a bottle of the Black Art 4.1 that I got from a restaurant owner that had to sell of some of his whiskey when the restaurants were shut down for Covid. It is by far the best scotch I've ever tasted. I'm not sure how the later releases compare, but I did see one of the newer releases (I think it was 8) at the Specs off of Brodie in south Austin just a few weeks ago.
Bigfootisreal
Ok so I got a bottle of Glenmorangie Quinta Ruban last week for $49.99. Hell of a deal and a fantastic pour (or three) to boot. Finding out I like all the Glenmorangie offerings.
Cyprian
AG
Bigfootisreal said:

Ok so I got a bottle of Glenmorangie Quinta Ruban last week for $49.99. Hell of a deal and a fantastic pour (or three) to boot. Finding out I like all the Glenmorangie offerings.

Nice, I usually feel like i get a good value buy with them.

-------------
Yeah, well, you know, that's just like, uh, your opinion, man.
jwright4288
AG
Great choice. I've liked all the Glenmorangie stuff I've tried other than the Nectar D'or. That one was way too sweet for me.

Consistently good for their prices.
Cromagnum
AG
Smith Street specs in Houston had 4 bottles of Glendronach 21 Parliament just now. Nabbed one for the upcoming anniversary and will report back in a couple of weeks.
Cyprian
AG
I'd be interested to hear about that one. I was deciding between that and a Glenmorangie Signet for a birthday bottle a couple months back, and went with the Signet at the end (great one btw!).

-------------
Cyprian
AG
Dalmore Cigar Malt tonight for me, yum

-------------
byfLuger41
MediAg13
AG
Cyprian said:

Dalmore Cigar Malt tonight for me, yum

Been eyeballing this. How it is? Still haven't ventured much into smoked or peated territory but the local shop keeps trying to sell me on it.
dsvogel05
AG
It's pretty tasty. A little cigar taste, but not strong by any means. Just enough to let you know it's there.
AgInSingapore
AG
Grabbed a second bottle of the Arrrrrrrdbeg! the other day and a bottle of Ardbeg Traigh Bhan Batch 2 last night.

Had my first glass of the the Laphroaig Cairdeas 200th Anniversary edition, need to have another dram for a proper tasting but the neck pour was mighty fine.
drred4
Wish I could find one in BCS one day!
Post removed:
by user
MarathonAg12
12 Year Single Cask Bottled for Spec's

FbgTxAg
AG
Bigfootisreal said:

Quinta Ruban is the gateway drug to Scotch drinking.

Treat yourself to a bottle of Signet. Only scotch (I believe) that has toasted grains.
The greatest argument ever made against democracy is a 5 minute conversation with the average voter.
Cyprian
AG
Quote:

Treat yourself to a bottle of Signet. Only scotch (I believe) that has toasted grains.

Yea, it is like the smooth chocolate milk shake of Scotches.

-------------
Cromagnum
AG
Cromagnum said:

Smith Street specs in Houston had 4 bottles of Glendronach 21 Parliament just now. Nabbed one for the upcoming anniversary and will report back in a couple of weeks.

Poured this up last night. Absolutely fantastic scotch. Sherry forward but not a bomb. Super smooth and no heat even though bottled slightly hot. Finish lasted for days.
John Francis Donaghy
Cromagnum said:

Cromagnum said:

Poured this up last night. Absolutely fantastic scotch. Sherry forward but not a bomb. Super smooth and no heat even though bottled slightly hot. Finish lasted for days.

Glad you enjoyed it.
dsvogel05
AG
Has anyone tried this? I tend to like Port or Sherry casked Scotch, so this fits the bill.
Cromagnum
AG
No. Please give us your take on it once you have. I also like port casked scotch.
BBRex
AG
Is this probably mostly marketing? Yes.
Do I still want to try it? Also yes.

https://www.instagram.com/tv/CN7kZGRhp_R/?igshid=tszze2lw88k1
AgBQ-00
AG
BBRex said:

Is this probably mostly marketing? Yes.
Do I still want to try it? Also yes.

https://www.instagram.com/tv/CN7kZGRhp_R/?igshid=tszze2lw88k1

love Talisker. would love this one too but 43yo Talisker cant imagine the price. LOL
AgInSingapore
AG
About five grand and only 1830 bottles filled.
dsvogel05
AG
Full disclosure, the Dalmore Port Wood Reserve is one of my favorite drams.

For the price, the Tomatin is a nice addition to the liquor cabinet. The first pour and taste was very alcohol forward, but after it opened up, it had a very think and buttery feel on the palate. Almost like a good chardonnay from a mouthfeel standpoint. After it breathed for a while, it opened up nicely and had a good finish. It would probably open up more with a drop of water or some ice, but I drink most of my Scotch neat. I'm not going to bore you with tasting notes, but if it came down to buying this again or the Dalmore, I'll choose the Dalmore any day. I picked up the Tomatin at Twin Liquor for ~$75, so its not a bad price point.
BBRex
AG
Now for something a little different: Holy Smokes malt whiskey from Big, Fat Pastor distillery in Colorado. It's a scotch-style whiskey that is very affordable and interesting. Nothing fancy, but enjoyable. Worth trying if you see it around.

https://www.worldbeverage.net/spirits/Big-Fat-Pastor-Spirits-Holy-Smokes-Whiskey-w0388909ra
RustyBoltz
AG

I'm on the lookout for one of these Guiness finished Lagavulin 11yo Offerman Editions to keep in the woodshop.
John Francis Donaghy
I could be convinced to try a Guiness finished Lagavulen.
BBRex
AG
Talisker did a tasting event online for the 43-year-old expedition oak. Here's a link to the pre-order.

https://www.malts.com/en-gb/products/single-malt-whisky/talisker-xpedition-oak-43-years-old-single-malt-scotch-whisky-70cl?utm_source=facebook&utm_medium=social&utm_campaign=taliskerxpeditionoaklivetasting&fbclid=IwAR0I043Thn_7ALNeXNgPwGMMeXhQT8tWPhgAtmAiCRSfSZgwCLXhnj7f_Oc
AgBQ-00
AG
That sounds yummy. But 3500 pound for a bottle? Maybe I'll be gifted some. Hahaha. Would love to try it
Jack Thauer
AG
Anyone know when the Guinness Offerman is being released? Looking for multiples.
AgInSingapore
AG
It's available at Total Wine now, just ordered a couple for pickup today.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.