Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Buying physical gold/silver

323,538 Views | 2170 Replies | Last: 1 day ago by Outdoorag011
Heineken-Ashi
How long do you want to ignore this user?
TTUArmy said:

notex said:

A perspective on gold/silver in a down market some might enjoy:

https://www.elliottwavetrader.net/p/analysis/Gold-Is-So-Misunderstood-202406079113393.html

Always nice to consider a different perspective. I'm positive that most here are smart enough to understand Elliot Wave mechanics. Elliot is fine for TA. And most are aware of the past and present history of gold and silver.

Personally, physical gold and silver purchases are a small allocation of my portfolio. It helps me sleep at night. If I never have to use it, at least I've educated a son and daughter on precious metals. They can hold, sell, or pass it on to grandchildren.
Avi is a huge gold bug and he is extremely bullish right now. And he called the top within a very small margin of error in 2011 and advised to sell while everyone else was calling him an idiot and saying to look higher. His downside target before it topped above $1,900 was literally a few dollars from the $1,046 low that actually hit. If you follow him, you've been accumulating for a long time, but especially throughout 2022 and 2023. Even into early this year, he advised clients (and he has 1k money manager subscribers) to not get too bearish metals on any selloffs.

He has written numerous articles on metals over the last decade. You can check his work every step of the way. Whether you believe in Elliott Wave or not, his track record with gold destroys almost every other analyst out there, especially those who try to correlate it with "manipulation", the stock market, or any other false correlation.

Lastly, there is a difference between the small % of your wealth held in physical gold as a hedge and trading metals, whether physical or through a brokerage account. This thread is clearly about the former, and I don't think it matters to any of us what the value of gold does year to year, as we aren't stacking it to profit. We are stacking it protect our wealth long term. So this is the last I will ever bring up EW or prognostications about what the price might do in the future on this thread.
"H-A: In return for the flattery, can you reduce the size of your signature? It's the only part of your posts that don't add value. In its' place, just put "I'm an investing savant, and make no apologies for it", as oldarmy1 would do."
- I Bleed Maroon (distracted easily by signatures)
Jabin
What factors or criteria does he use to predict the tops and bottoms?
TTUArmy
H-A...you're one of the more insightful posters on here. Your market takes are always interesting to read and I believe you've really put the work in to understand, as well as, communicate to others why you hold certain positions.
Heineken-Ashi
Jabin said:

What factors or criteria does he use to predict the tops and bottoms?
Sentiment, measured through Elliott Wave. Go read some of his seeking alpha articles. Or start here and read through the articles at the top of that page. Intro to Elliott Wave Theory - ElliottWaveTrader.

Again, I don't want this thread to devolve into technical analysis and arguing over things like EW. That's not what this thread is for. Just wanted to provide backing for my previous post.
"H-A: In return for the flattery, can you reduce the size of your signature? It's the only part of your posts that don't add value. In its' place, just put "I'm an investing savant, and make no apologies for it", as oldarmy1 would do."
jagvocate
AG
Please keep insights coming technical Elliott Wave or otherwise

The discussion keeps this thread interesting

jagvocate
AG

I'm 50 and love precious metals, so this chart is very interesting to me

Red Pear Realty
Sponsor
AG
Silver up about a dollar today to $30.67

Gold up about 1.4% to $2,360.
Sponsor Message: We Split Commissions. Full Service Agents in Austin, Bryan-College Station, Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston and San Antonio. Red Pear Realty
jagvocate
AG
I love silver and buy it whenever I can …. But this 1902 Gold Liberty Quarter Eagle is * all right * with me

Red Pear Realty
Sponsor
AG
Real money
Sponsor Message: We Split Commissions. Full Service Agents in Austin, Bryan-College Station, Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston and San Antonio. Red Pear Realty
Red Pear Realty
Sponsor
AG
Silver up about a dollar to right at $30.50 an ounce.
redsquirrelAG
AG
Keep pluggin' folks. Endgame is the election. It can't go on past that. Collapse will happen.

Stack all you can. Don't forget lead!
Red Pear Realty
Sponsor
AG
Gold over $2,400 an ounce.

Silver hanging out right at $31.50.
lobopride
My uncle is about to inherit 1,000 Morgan Silver dollars he doesn't want. I'm trying to think of a way he can get rid of them without losing a lot per coin if anyone has any suggestions.
JR Ewing
AG
lobopride said:

My uncle is about to inherit 1,000 Morgan Silver dollars he doesn't want. I'm trying to think of a way he can get rid of them without losing a lot per coin if anyone has any suggestions.

You might tell him to hold on to them until after the election. He'll be much happier!
redsquirrelAG
AG
JR Ewing said:

lobopride said:

You might tell him to hold on to them until after the election. He'll be much happier!

It's just a few months. And could turn out to be a decision he regrets for the rest of his life. If he needs cash that bad I'll start the bidding at 10K.
Heineken-Ashi
redsquirrelAG said:

JR Ewing said:

lobopride said:

It's just a few months. And could turn out to be a decision he regrets for the rest of his life. If he needs cash that bad I'll start the bidding at 10K.
10,001!
El Chupacabra
Local Costco was selling gold at $2,400 oz about 2 hours ago. Lady said they had plenty left, I didn't buy any.
JR Ewing
AG
$10,002!
Red Pear Realty
Sponsor
AG
Location? I've never seen any in any store I've been in.
K Bo
AG
Bunker Hill had some Lady Fortuna bars last weekend
Jabin
What department were they in? Jewelry?
maddiedou
AG
lobopride said:

Text me I am a morgan buyer That is the one coin I specialize in

I am in BCS. Gdogprop@gmail.com

Eight. Two. o
l87o
maddiedou
HarleySpoon
AG
HarleySpoon
AG
I'm in at $20,000 if he/you can make a quick decision. PM if interested.
FishrCoAg
AG
maddiedou said:

lobopride said:

Text me I am a morgan buyer That is the one coin I specialize in

I am in BCS. Gdogprop@gmail.com

Eight. Two. o
l87o

This man will do what he says he will.
Aggiemike96
AG
This store has at least two yesterday afternoon. How do I know? Two in the jewelry display shelf and one in my hand as I left. $2,399.99.

Drove next to the Katy store and snagged the last 4 RCM 10-oz silver bars they had. $329.99 each.

Executive Costco member = 2% cash back plus credit card rewards. Costco pricing is not dynamic during the day as I think they set the price overnight based on previous day activity.
maddiedou
AG
I can give the uncle a actual value by grades and coins

I like Harley because I have seen his post about coins and what he has but your uncle has more than 20,000 dollars of coins unless they are all just beat to hell

And I do not want to get in a bidding match on something I have not put under a microscope for grading

Please send me a text or email if you have questions

I can also drive to him and appraise offer him
maddiedou
lobopride
Thanks for the offer to look at them. Once the inheritance happens I will give him the info.
K Bo
AG
Yep, in the case with the watches
Red Pear Realty
Sponsor
AG
RCM 10 oz bars are the bees knees
HarleySpoon
AG
maddiedou said:

I can give the uncle a actual value by grades and coins

I like Harley because I have seen his post about coins and what he has but your uncle has more than 20,000 dollars of coins unless they are all just beat to hell

And I do not want to get in a bidding match on something I have not put under a microscope for grading

Please send me a text or email if you have questions

I can also drive to him and appraise offer him

Sorry, my assumption if it's 1,000 coins is that they are ungraded, common dates stored in a bag or two. Of course if they are graded and/or non-common dates they are worth more than what I offered and graded, non- common dates are not what I'm looking for. But, I'd be shocked that someone in this day and age would own 1,000 Morgan's that hadn't been evaluated at least ten times for superior grades and dates. Possible…..highly unlikely. I can also drive (more likely have son fly me in his small plane) after wiring funds. But, if whomever owned them that he is inheriting them from wasn't a coin collector/(accumulator more than likely)…then yes, have someone evaluate them coin by coin.
maddiedou
AG
Harley I was not calling you out or saying you werre wrong with your assessment

I probably should not have posted anything I am sorry
I have seen you post about coins and that you have been doing it for 40-50 years

I think we are both coin collectors and if your like me

I have never sold a coin that Inhave bought I am not in the coin busineess to buy and sell
maddiedou
Aggiemike96
AG
Red Pear Realty said:

RCM 10 oz bars are the bees knees
They're my favorite silver bar to stack.

HarleySpoon
AG
maddiedou said:

Harley I was not calling you out or saying you werre wrong with your assessment

I probably should not have posted anything I am sorry
I have seen you post about coins and that you have been doing it for 40-50 years

I think we are both coin collectors and if your like me

I have never sold a coin that Inhave bought I am not in the coin busineess to buy and sell

Sorry, I didn't mean to imply that you aren't a great guy and I wasn't offended. You and I have interacted quite a bit over the last decade and we have both purchased from folks via this forum. You tend to concentrate on the numismatic stuff and I'm more the days into the bullion side than in the past. I saw the 1,000 Morgan's and it felt more like constitutional silver buy vs any significant numismatic component. Also, I think you provide excellent value to folks on this forum with your willingness to do free appraisals. Look forward to many more years of beneficial interactions.
Aggiemike96
AG
Aggiemike96 said:

This store has at least two yesterday afternoon. How do I know? Two in the jewelry display shelf and one in my hand as I left. $2,399.99.

Drove next to the Katy store and snagged the last 4 RCM 10-oz silver bars they had. $329.99 each.

Executive Costco member = 2% cash back plus credit card rewards. Costco pricing is not dynamic during the day as I think they set the price overnight based on previous day activity.

One less as of 5 minutes ago. Still $2,399.99.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.