Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Buying physical gold/silver

248,004 Views | 1759 Replies | Last: 18 hrs ago by aunuwyn08
I bleed maroon
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Not being a contrarian, just providing another perspective:

DISCLOSURE: I own some gold coins, and I own some silver coins. Not a huge amount, but they serve as a safe haven for a modest percent of my portfolio (maybe 2-3% of my holdings).

That said, people need to understand that historically, gold and silver have severely lagged the market overall. They don't pay dividends, you can't easily write covered calls on them for income, and their future value is uncertain as any other investment.

Study your history - it's rare to find any 10 year period when precious metals have outperformed a broad market index. Here's a current snapshot:

https://www.statista.com/statistics/1061454/gold-other-assets-10-year-average-returns-global/#:~:text=As%20of%20December%202022%2C%20U.S.,return%20rate%20of%200.92%20percent.

Just providing this as a public service for our investing board...
jagvocate
AG
I graduated in 2000. Last time I checked, Gold had outperformed the S&P 500 since that time.

And the "No dividend" is a feature, not a bug, during uncertain times. No counterparty risk.

I would never advise someone to go all in with precious metals. But it fits my risk profile for what I foresee coming in our over-financialized world.
Brewmaster
AG
nevermind great points made already!

but from a technical perspective, S&P has a pretty hard pullback coming and gold and silver both are primed to rip. Heck, silver is only half way to it's all time high!
Post removed:
by user
jagvocate
AG
"Heck, silver is only half way to it's all time high!" - yes, it's one of the few assets that isn't at or near it's all time high. I like buying value with upside potential.
12thMan86
AG
I had this exact question pop into my head yesterday. Recently bought some gold around 1900. just so I'm clear…..if I sell my coins for 3k or any number above 1900, there is no capital gains? Is there even a record of the sale ? If not that's a big advantage
Outdoorag011
You have to pay capital gains tax… if you sell to a authorized dealer. Private sale is the way to go. Sell it to an individual or barter with it. Technically you have to report it even if you private sell, but most don't. You would be surprised at the amount of people who will take precious metals as payment.
12thMan86
AG
Thank you!
jagvocate
AG
If you like buying silver when the spot is under $25

Aggiemike96
AG
jagvocate said:

If you like buying silver when the spot is under $25.

Purchased 30 ounces today.
jagvocate
AG
Friends, Be Like Mike
ChiefKiefton
I have been on a numismatic spree since spot/premiums spiked. Canada's "Animals in the Moonlight" series is my all time favorite. I am working on getting them all but they are at a minimum 60 an oz. So I am doing one or two a month while also buying as many generic rounds as possible.
ChiefKiefton
12thMan86 said:

I had this exact question pop into my head yesterday. Recently bought some gold around 1900. just so I'm clear…..if I sell my coins for 3k or any number above 1900, there is no capital gains? Is there even a record of the sale ? If not that's a big advantage
Just say you paid 4k for it..
Outdoorag011
Anyone interested in 2020 reverse proof silver libertads? I have the 2 and 5 oz set and a line 5 oz. Selling for way less than EBay. I can send pics and prices of anyone is interested.
FastFreddy
I am interested, 512 six 3 five 0909
fireinthehole
Ammunition. Barter, trade, defense, eat.
You are the world, we are the USA, don't mess with us and we won't blow your $hit away.
redsquirrelAG
AG
Silver under 24....this is the last summer silver and gold will be anywhere near these prices. Brics now have 80% of the worlds GDP. USAs allies falling off one at a time. The dollar is doing it's swan dance.
Pookers
AG
redsquirrelAG said:

Silver under 24....this is the last summer silver and gold will be anywhere near these prices. Brics now have 80% of the worlds GDP. USAs allies falling off one at a time. The dollar is doing it's swan dance.
Good time to pick more up or do we expect it to dip a bit more?
redsquirrelAG
AG
Pookers said:

redsquirrelAG said:

Good time to pick more up or do we expect it to dip a bit more?

It's always a good time.
Apache
AG
Quote:

Silver under 24....this is the last summer silver and gold will be anywhere near these prices.
Define "anywhere near" as I've heard that song & dance before.
redsquirrelAG
AG
Well I know some good size banks preparing for bank runs and dollar collapse this fall. They have stopped lending. Global situation with Brics. CBDC rumors. I don't think the times we are in compare to anything in the past. I also know for a fact that Israel will be sacrificing the red heifers and building the 3rd temple in 2024. The times we are on don't have precedence.
Apache
AG

This looks like some major pseudoscience, though I do agree with you buying value with upside potential.

techno-ag
AG
redsquirrelAG said:

Well I know some good size banks preparing for bank runs and dollar collapse this fall. They have stopped lending. Global situation with Brics. CBDC rumors. I don't think the times we are in compare to anything in the past. I also know for a fact that Israel will be sacrificing the red heifers and building the 3rd temple in 2024. The times we are on don't have precedence.
Link?
redsquirrelAG
AG
Lol that info don't come with a link. How about first hand knowledge of the ranch in TX where they came from last summer.
Apache
AG
Quote:

How about first hand knowledge of the ranch in TX where they came from last summer.
You're telling us some folks bought red heifers outta Texas & shipped them on a boat halfway across the world to Israel and that these folks are currently feeding said cattle for a couple of years in order to sacrifice them when the third temple gets built. That's the story you're going with??!??

AgEng06
AG
Wow.... https://www.jpost.com/judaism/article-717650
Red Pear Realty
Sponsor
AG
It's true.
Sponsor Message: We Split Commissions. Full Service Agents in Austin, Bryan-College Station, Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston and San Antonio. Red Pear Realty
Apache
AG
Well, I was gonna have a sandwich for lunch, but it looks like something else is now on the menu.
That's some crazy stuff!!!

On a side note, why on earth couldn't they find a red heifer any closer than Texas? Seems a little crazy to me but then again the Middle East is 100% crazy...
Nagler
AG
I remember hearing about people trying to breed a perfectly red cow for this reason back in high school. I graduated in 2006.
Decay
AG
Came for gold talk, got real red cow apocalypse scoop instead
AggieT
AG
So, if one were to start buying today, where would you go and what is the best value at the moment?
Post removed:
by user
MTTANK
AG
AggieT said:

So, if one were to start buying today, where would you go and what is the best value at the moment?
Cow's or gold?
GIG 'EM
techno-ag
AG
Texas for cows, apparently. Perfect red heifers, anyway.
rebelE06
AG
Anyone gotten the Apmex Visa bullion card? Heard about it recently and it gives you points/ bullion back own purchases- interested!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.