Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Buying physical gold/silver

248,006 Views | 1759 Replies | Last: 18 hrs ago by aunuwyn08
RightWingConspirator
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
You must be talking about a gun a few years back....I dumped all of my .40s and switched over to 9mm and .45s. I did keep one .357 mag wheel gun, but I did all this a while back.

CS78
P.H. Dexippus said:

Cru said:

Just now deciding to get serious about this.

Anyone know of a for dummies guide? Why would one purchase bars instead of coins? Or coins instead of bars?
If you view precious metals simply as a storage of wealth, a bar of metal is cheaper and there are economies of scale the larger you go.

If you view precious metals as something you will spend/circulate in a SHTF scenario, then coins are likely going to be easier to negotiate. There are also artistic/collectability considerations.

People also pay a premium for a US government minted coin (junk silver and silver eagles) because the risk of counterfeits is extremely low. A big bar from an unknown source brings the most skepticism.
CS78
JR Ewing
AG
I bleed maroon said:

I have some silver and gold one ounce coins that I had accumulated over the years, and wanted to see if there are good rules of thumb for price premium over spot prices from online or in person brokers. I realize this might shift over time depending on market conditions, but what does it realistically look like in today's world? For instance:

Example for Silver (I think I have Maple Leafs and Silver Eagles, maybe some buffalo?): spot price + 12-15% - or - spot price + $2.50-3.00 per coin?

Same scenario for gold (gold eagles and kreugerrand?)

I haven't really followed the market for a while, and I wanted to get a feel for what I should sell for to a local buyer. I'm thinking a slight discount to the broker rates (i.e. I keep 75-80% of the premium, and give the buyer 20-25% of it?).

Thoughts?

Silver Eagles are usually 6$-$10 above spot.
Gold Eagles are usually $100-$125 above spot
oklaunion
The local gold and silver dealer in CS buys at spot for gold rounds.
maddiedou
AG
And silver 3 under spot about 3 years ago but it maybe different now
jagvocate
AG
Posted without comment

CS78
Just saw that. What happened?
topher06
I may try to unload my 100oz bars (just 2, I'm not rich) here. Feel like I made a mistake buying those anyway if the goal is protection in a potential shtf scenario

Anyone know if the sdbullion site makes you pay shipping with their spot +0.3/oz offer?
jagvocate
AG
CS78 said:

Just saw that. What happened?
Job Openings and Labor Turnover Survey (JOLTS) report came back -600k

Dollar flash-crashed
Red Pear Realty
Sponsor
AG
You will always be able to sell them, even if SHTF. I'd hold on to them for a while if you can. Best case scenario for our country and silver goes to $60-80 IMO. Worst case it goes a lot higher than that.
topher06
Yeah, I have some coins and smaller bars as well. The 100oz are too clunky, but maybe I'll at least hold out until we get to $30 given the insane policies coming out of DC.
Post removed:
by user
Aggiemike96
AG
FAT SEXY said:

It feels like Gold is itching for a 10% move in one day.

Which way?
Post removed:
by user
Outdoorag011
Haha veteran move
slop01
AG
https://eaglebu.com/

Is this place legit? A Silver American Eagle is $15 cheaper than SD Bullion or APMEX.
Red Pear Realty
Sponsor
AG
No, they are not legit. Anyone selling BU ASE's for less than spot is scamming people.
maddiedou
AG
Well I am down to buffaloe. Maples. Kangaroo and conquistadors
Buffaloes 28
All the rest 30 per

G
Dog
Prop
@
Gmail.com

College station

jagvocate
AG
Special forces from UK and USA confirmed in the Ukraine, silver wakes up
drmwvr
AG

Red Pear Realty
Sponsor
AG
And silver above $26
Aggie_2463
AG
Damn, just noticed Silver eagles are selling for $46-$48 online.

I got about 80 I should unload
Red Pear Realty
Sponsor
AG
Wait until spot hits that price then sell.
Aggie_2463
AG
Red Pear Realty said:

Wait until spot hits that price then sell.
I have been - for about 10+ years
maddiedou
AG
Yep. 1980 and 2011
jagvocate
AG
$26 silver
redsquirrelAG
AG
APmex goes from minimum purchase of 250 to 500 in less than a week. COMEX's getting hit hard.

Project sandman will be the final collapse of the dollar this OCT. Saudi will announce on Friday the end of the Petrodollar. All the Brics nations flood the US notes back in and by Monday we have hyperinflation and runs on banks and goods the Fed won't even try to keep up with. Lights go out. The US gets scared into the new system, many cities burn to the ground and the NWO begins. Biblical. Get more than just your G&S. Have 6 months food, plans on water and protection (lead and bangbang) get right with Father Yah for the times ahead. Learn the truth, shed the fallen world.

Shabbat shalom
exp
AG
Why are there shortages of precious metals instead of price increases? That doesn't make sense to me.
Red Pear Realty
Sponsor
AG
Because spot price isn't real
exp
AG
Red Pear Realty said:

So why in the F would you store energy in that?

Red Pear Realty
Sponsor
AG
exp said:

Red Pear Realty said:

So why in the F would you store energy in that?

Spot is manipulated. See link below as an example:

https://www.reddit.com/r/SilverDegenClub/comments/12mxfdc/silver_price_drop_25145000oz_traded_in_15_minutes/

And when true price discovery happens, it's going to be wild. As an example, in Weimar Germany, during their fiat implosion, four ounces of gold bought a nice house in Berlin. And the folks in charge of the Fed aren't going to take kindly to digital competition from FedNow. So that leaves you with physical metals.
woodiewood1
Aggiemike96 said:

I wouldn't buy anything retail right now. The premiums have spiked after last week. Bullion is limited, especially the big names like Eagles and Maple Leaves. Watch eBay if you have the time and you might find a deal. I limit my eBay bidding to $30 per ounce right now. I may go higher for collectible coins. For example, I'm stacking coins from the Perth Mint so I'll go higher. Only bought one coin this week though. Of course, the risks of fakes on eBay is much higher than reputable dealers.

Edit: I'm exclusively in silver.
I have also been purchasing both Perth and The Royal Mint 1 oz silver coins for about 10 years, two or three a month. I concentrate on the animal and historic coins as well as the odd shaped ones. Now expanding into the 56 members of the British Commonwealth.
redsquirrelAG
AG
I think the best value comes at bigger bars and 1oz gold coins. I love pre 1933 gold. I refuse to get any coins with the lizard queen on them. Junk silver will come in handy for bartering/underground economy once the beast system is activated. Wild times, to think you were chosen to be apart of these times by Father Yehovah. Embrace it and know it's going to get much much worse. Prepare as Joseph did before the famine, know it's coming and don't ignore the signs or the Holy spirit guiding you. Shed the fallen world and re-educate yourself. Honor the Sabbath and keep it holy. Remove all idolatry from your life.
topher06
Sir, this is a Wendy's

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.