Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Buying physical gold/silver

248,114 Views | 1759 Replies | Last: 1 day ago by aunuwyn08
Andrew Dufresne
How long do you want to ignore this user?
jagvocate said:

Walmart.com sells bullion ... the spreads are uneconomical compared to major dealers, but still -- the proverbial "little guy" theoretically has a chance to hedge inflation.
The little guy ain't hedging shizz if they're paying huge markups at Wally World, compared to what they could pay with other market options!!
mwp02ag
AG
If Joe buys a silver coin from Walmart with fiat today and sticks the coin in his stained underwear drawer and a period of time later fiat becomes worthless he has indeed maintained or "hedged" his purchasing power to some degree.

Im obviously not advocating for overpaying but an ounce I'm the hand is better than fiat in the bank.
jagvocate
AG
Andrew Dufresne said:

jagvocate said:

Walmart.com sells bullion ... the spreads are uneconomical compared to major dealers, but still -- the proverbial "little guy" theoretically has a chance to hedge inflation.
The little guy ain't hedging shizz if they're paying huge markups at Wally World, compared to what they could pay with other market options!!

Let's revisit this post in 2026.

Andrew Dufresne
Buying overpriced bullion isn't the proper way to hedge. All's I'm saying
ChiefKiefton
Premiums are out of control. APMEX has maples at a $10 mark up. Yikes!
Definitely Not A Cop
AG
hopeandrealchange
Andrew Dufresne said:

What would you recommend?
Aggiemike96
AG
hopeandrealchange said:

Andrew Dufresne said:

My favorite online bullion dealers are Bullion Exchanges, Silver Gold Bull, and SD Bullion. Maples are Maples. ASEs are ASEs. When ready to purchase bullion, find the best deal on the product you want to stack.
mwp02ag
AG
Right or wrong I am still buying as much as I can when I can. In my mind the probabilities are overwhelmingly in gold/silvers favor and there will come a time when you can't buy a Oz of either at ANY price.
Outdoorag011
Amen. Going to the LCS today. Last time I was in he told me his cost to get eagles was $12 over spot and it was a 5-6 week wait time. I'm buying generic bars and coins right now. I'm also buying as much Mexican coinage as I can. Mexico produced/produces some beautiful coins. Plus here in Texas if I ever need to sell them they are EXTREMELY liquid.
Jabin
What about the US Mint Proof coins? What is the logic/argument for purchasing those, if any, given their premiums?
Red Pear Realty
Sponsor
AG
Those are for coin collectors. Generally those types of coin buyers and the prepper stacker types are completely separate groups.
Jabin
Thanks. Collectors are sure buying them in mass quantities, it seems.
Silvy
AG
hopeandrealchange said:

Andrew Dufresne said:

I've ordered from Silvergoldbull and Hero Bullion. Next time I'm ready to pick up some kg bars, likely Monument Metals. They have one now that's $2.85 over spot.
maddiedou
AG
Jabin said:

Thanks. Collectors are sure buying them in mass quantities, it seems.

You want to buy Us mint proofs. I can sell you some

But remember your buying for collecting most mint proofs now do not have silver unless it has silver in the title

What year are you looking for

I believe my phine and email is somewhere on this thread
Jabin
I'm not necessarily buying the Mint proof coins - just curious what the "story" is on them.
jagvocate
AG

As discussed earlier in thread. 10oz bars.

Bob Knights Paper Hands
I have two friends that were buying the **** out of physical gold and silver the last two years. Smart ****ers, even though one went to Tceh.
Post removed:
by user
mwp02ag
AG
https://monumentmetals.com/valcambi-kilo-silver-bar.html?utm_source=Monument+Metals+Info+List&utm_campaign=47a52244db-EMAIL_CAMPAIGN_2018_02_11_COPY_01&utm_medium=email&utm_term=0_919c1def5a-47a52244db-20940938&mc_cid=47a52244db&mc_eid=05c51c3a52

1kg silver bars $2.99 over spot
Post removed:
by user
Sully
AG
Can anyone recommend a good LCS in Austin?
ATX_AG_08
AG
I'm looking to buy a couple hundred ounces of silver. Is this a decent time to buy? And would this be a good buy?

https://monumentmetals.com/100-oz-patriot-metals.html
Post removed:
by user
Post removed:
by user
Aggiemike96
AG
If you're in Houston, I could be persuaded to arrange a meet-up and we could swap silver for cash (Venmo, Zelle, etc.). I'm primarily a seller of silver right now. Have some real estate needs on the horizon, so plan to liquidate some silver. I have a Sigma and can verify everything right then as we deal.
Outdoorag011
I'm interested. Can you email me?

It is my username at gmail
Post removed:
by user
mwp02ag
AG
That's cool! I'm guessing that was unexpected? I saw one on ebay for $45.
Post removed:
by user
jagvocate
AG
Not messing around anymore. 1kg or 100oz poured silver from here out … maximum ounce per $.

CC09LawAg
jagvocate said:

Not messing around anymore. 1kg or 100oz poured silver from here out … maximum ounce per $.

Anything in particular that got you to this point?
BlitzBrother
Recommendation where to buy around The Woodlands / Houston ?
Red Pear Realty
Sponsor
AG
US Coin and Jewelry is good people but I'm curious as to others recommendations around Houston.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.