Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Buying physical gold/silver

248,120 Views | 1759 Replies | Last: 1 day ago by aunuwyn08
Esteban du Plantier
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
FAT SEXY said:

I stack a variety of Silver, but man, I've been on a Constitutional kick lately. I'm digging the 90% variety more and more.

What are you paying? I'm seeing guys on reddit sell for 20x, hard to pass that up.
Post removed:
by user
BWnDallas
AG
MIL passed away a while back. Here is a list of some things I have inventoried.

Fat Sexy (or anyone else) if you want to make an offer on some or all of these at rates similar to what you paid on ebay, send me a note. I am in the Dallas area.

3 - Buffalo Nickels (dates unreadable)

61 -Rosevelt Dimes (1950's -1964)
10 - Mercury Dimes (1919-1945)

1 - Standing Liberty Quarter (date unreadable)

9 - Kenedy dollars (1964)

1 Franklin dollar (1963)

2 -Walking Liberty dollar (1937, 1943)

76 - Washington Quarters (1940-1964)

1 1861 Quarter

2- Uncirculated Eagles (1999, 2001)

3- Silver Dollars (1880, 1882, 1889)

13 Silver Dollars (1921-1927)

1 - Iraqi Mobile Missile Launcher .9999 troy ounce

29 Misc .9999 silver troy ounce rounds
Post removed:
by user
BWnDallas
AG
I could not tell where you were. Make offer that includes insured shipping or whatever you do on ebay?

Take it to the PM if you want to consider.
Pepper Brooks
AG
I'm in Dallas but have to idea how to value that lot. I might be a buyer if a few of the more seasoned folks on the board want to give it a value.
BWnDallas
AG
I am in general alignment with Fat Sexy's approach on most of this.

The truth is my wife inherited these (plus some other proof sets say 1957-2010 and boxed stuff like that).

I am not a coin or silver person, but I have looked at what I can on line. I am pretty sure there are no really valuable coins in any of this trove. But, I did see where the 1861 quarter could fetch something like $29.00, and for some reason the five 1921 dollars are worth something like $31.00 each.

Maybe the thing to do is exclude these, plus the other 1860's, because this thread is about the silver, not the coin collectors thread. On the rest of it I think Fat Sexy is about right and knows more than I do.

I don't know, I just want my closet space back. And really these silver pieces are not the problem, it is the large box of proof sets, or the large picture frame containing the "Coins of the 20th Century", or the "Brown Ikes", etc., etc. taking up room.
Post removed:
by user
Post removed:
by user
Aggiemike96
AG
You're looking for the poster Maddidou. He can help with valuing the collection.
Post removed:
by user
bkag9824
AG
Is this a reputable site to reasonably judge the value of Silver Morgans?

I may or may not know someone who has 100 SMs in the 1880 - 1901 date ranges.
Esteban du Plantier
AG
bkag9824 said:

I'm not an expert, but I always used the pcgs price guide when I was collecting numismatic stuff.

https://www.pcgs.com/prices/us
ChiefKiefton
BWnDallas said:

MIL passed away a while back. Here is a list of some things I have inventoried.

Fat Sexy (or anyone else) if you want to make an offer on some or all of these at rates similar to what you paid on ebay, send me a note. I am in the Dallas area.

3 - Buffalo Nickels (dates unreadable)

61 -Rosevelt Dimes (1950's -1964)
10 - Mercury Dimes (1919-1945)

1 - Standing Liberty Quarter (date unreadable)

9 - Kenedy dollars (1964)

1 Franklin dollar (1963)

2 -Walking Liberty dollar (1937, 1943)

76 - Washington Quarters (1940-1964)

1 1861 Quarter

2- Uncirculated Eagles (1999, 2001)

3- Silver Dollars (1880, 1882, 1889)

13 Silver Dollars (1921-1927)

1 - Iraqi Mobile Missile Launcher .9999 troy ounce

29 Misc .9999 silver troy ounce rounds

I would be interested in buying a good amount off you.. feel free to send me an email at username@yahoo.com.
maddiedou
AG
bkag9824 said:

It is not a bad book or site but PCGS is the leader but only because they are the highest grader in the industry

Now if the morgans are in a box chances are he was just a collector and not a coin collector so silver value is what you probably have but if you want to send me pics send them

Now if they are in containers or tubes you may have something

To gdogprop@gmail.com Or. Text. 979-820-1870. Gary
Post removed:
by user
Post removed:
by user
Esteban du Plantier
AG
My son has a treasure chest and he likes to get pieces of real treasure. He has a few 1oz bars, some half and one oz rounds and I give him mercury dimes every time I buy something for myself.

He's a kindergartener, so not sure he really gets it, but seems to enjoy his real treasure.
ChiefKiefton
Awesome! No kids myself but I have been buying my niece and nephew silver every birthday and Christmas. They are little young to understand right now but by the time they are old enough they should have a couple rolls of eagles to help spark the desire for more.
SidsBurnerAccount
Esteban du Plantier said:

My son has a treasure chest and he likes to get pieces of real treasure. He has a few 1oz bars, some half and one oz rounds and I give him mercury dimes every time I buy something for myself.

He's a kindergartener, so not sure he really gets it, but seems to enjoy his real treasure.
This is what I've done with my son. We've bought together over the years and put them in a large leather "treasure chest". That chest goes to him someday, hopefully full of gold and silver. It's not a large part of my net worth, but it has helped with getting him involved in finances. He's traded stocks in a custodial account over the last 3 years.
Aggiemike96
AG
Silver down about $1 today. Anyone buying bullion?
aunuwyn08
AG
I keep hoping silver goes down to shake out the apes that are making my numismatics so expensive.
Post removed:
by user
Ted Lasso
AG
Bought Austrian phillys for $27.5 at monument metals today. Will continue to buy as silver does down. Will buy monster boxes sub $20/oz
Esteban du Plantier
AG
historyrepeats said:

Bought Austrian phillys for $27.5 at monument metals today. Will continue to buy as silver does down. Will buy monster boxes sub $20/oz

If silver goes sub-$20, I'm making some real irresponsible moves.

I'm not an 'investor' in silver, more like a hedge or a significant portion of long-term savings goes into pm's.

But at under-$20, I'm getting into Yolo bets territory. I've got a long long time for that to play out.
AggieBaseball06
AG
Esteban du Plantier said:

historyrepeats said:

If silver goes sub-$20, I'm making some real irresponsible moves.

I'm not an 'investor' in silver, more like a hedge or a significant portion of long-term savings goes into pm's.

But at under-$20, I'm getting into Yolo bets territory. I've got a long long time for that to play out.

Yep. The day silver goes under $20 will be looked back upon as either the best or worst decision I ever made.
insulator_king
AG
Ahh, silver.
Bought thousands over 10 years ago, when it looked like everything was going bust.
COMEX or whoever changed margin requirements, and price fell like a rock.

I was in at like $40 an ozt.

Would have done a lot better buying M1 Garands from the CMP.
$30,000 Millionaire
AG
I buy every month. It will work out OK in the long run.
You don’t trade for money, you trade for freedom.
oklaunion
With the drop also in gold last week, APMEX has 1/10th oz Philharmonics for a bit over $200 each. That works out to a $30 premium each over spot but in February they were selling for around a $100 premium.
The incrementals are a bit easier to flip.
Post removed:
by user
$30,000 Millionaire
AG
FAT SEXY said:

$30,000 Millionaire said:

I buy every month. It will work out OK in the long run.
What variety do you typically like to stack?

1 Oz coins. Prefer eagles unless the premium is too high.
You don’t trade for money, you trade for freedom.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.