Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Buying physical gold/silver

248,111 Views | 1759 Replies | Last: 1 day ago by aunuwyn08
nortex97
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
I sure hope this goes up, I have some in an IRA (well, and platinum (SPPP) and as well physical that I am just waiting to sell now for going on 3 years.
Andrew Dufresne
You shouldn't invest in things with such short time horizons. 3 years? Precious metal is a long hold. None of us know when the horse will bust loose, but I damn sure want to be on it when it does.
Red Pear Realty
Sponsor
AG
Fun fact of the day.

The 10 year US treasury yield is currently higher than its Greek counterpart.

https://www.cnbc.com/quotes/GR10Y-GR

https://www.cnbc.com/quotes/US10Y
TTUArmy
jagvocate said:

My wife, long time silver and gold stacker, showed this chart to me the other day. A few more major banks go under and an abrupt Fed pivot into QE might make things very interesting for gold and silver.
notex
AG
With all of the battery stuff and China cracking down on their monopoly on certain precious metals (refined), surely this stuff will be going up over the next few years.
Red Pear Realty
Sponsor
AG
Might be faster than a couple of years. Sorry to keep harping on this but the 10 year US treasury yield is up almost 50 bps in the last two weeks. In normal times, gold should be getting hammered, but it's only down about 2% in the same timeframe. That breaking of the correlation could be a sign gold (and silver) are about to go bananas.
$30,000 Millionaire
AG
Hey - cautionary tale on SD Bullion.

I accidentally clicked personal check instead of e-check. They want you to mail them a check, so I just assumed the order would eventually cancel and I placed a separate order the right way. There is no confirm or backout screen for this, and it's a weird online experience.

Fast forward a couple of weeks and they are calling me and they inform me that I can either pay now for that order or pay a 5% cancellation fee. I point out that I made a separate order, I'm a long time customer, etc and they are unrelenting that there is a fee. If you don't pay, they will send you to collections. I'm not sure that's legal, but not something I want to mess with.

I went ahead and paid for the metal so I'm getting 2X what I originally planned but that's ok. I will not, however, buy from them again because of that. Terrible customer service and terrible customer appreciation in my opinion. I reached out to the CEO and I'm waiting for him to respond to me. He probably won't, which also indicates to me what kind of place this is.

Anyway, you do you, just sharing info that might help you.
techno-ag
AG
$30,000 Millionaire said:

I accidentally clicked personal check instead of e-check. They want you to mail them a check, so I just assumed the order would eventually cancel and I placed a separate order the right way. There is no confirm or backout screen for this, and it's a weird online experience.

Fast forward a couple of weeks and they are calling me and they inform me that I can either pay now for that order or pay a 5% cancellation fee. I point out that I made a separate order, I'm a long time customer, etc and they are unrelenting that there is a fee. If you don't pay, they will send you to collections. I'm not sure that's legal, but not something I want to mess with.

I went ahead and paid for the metal so I'm getting 2X what I originally planned but that's ok. I will not, however, buy from them again because of that. Terrible customer service and terrible customer appreciation in my opinion. I reached out to the CEO and I'm waiting for him to respond to me. He probably won't, which also indicates to me what kind of place this is.

I've had good experiences with TexMetals.com.
AgCAD00
That's interesting. If they didn't have that cancellation fee, a scammer could put in an order and wait to see if the spot price went up or down. As an example, if they put the order in silver was at $24. Then if the spot went up to $25, mail in the check. Or if spot goes to $23, cancel the first order and reorder at the cheaper price.
I see the logic in the cancellation fee. But they should have provided better customer service. Do you remember the action of the spot price between your check order and e-check order?
$30,000 Millionaire
AG
I ordered eagles so I wasn't paying attention. You'd think discretion would prevail though - I obviously had placed another order that was exactly the same.
Esteban du Plantier
AG

Post this story on reddit r/silverbugs and r/wallstreetsilver. Almost 400k users on those two forums.

SD Bullion watches those forums and often responds to issues.
Red Pear Realty
Sponsor
AG
Pocket change for some folks here:

https://www.bgasc.com/product/1935-402-122-oz-us-assay-office-at-new-york-manhattan-marvel-gold-bar
Mateo84
AG
Red Pear Realty said:

Pocket change for some folks here:

https://www.bgasc.com/product/1935-402-122-oz-us-assay-office-at-new-york-manhattan-marvel-gold-bar

I love that credit card is still an option for that … talk about some rewards points …
Mas89
AG
#29666. It's the devil's gold bar.
Jabin
Has anybody here actually purchased gold bullion from Walmart? Somebody above mentioned that, plus getting 5% back via the Walmart Rewards card. Walmart's prices are considerably lower than SD Bullion.

Apparently, the bullion on Walmart is sold by Bullion Exchanges so I checked its website. Its prices are also lower than SD Bullion, and a touch lower than the prices on Walmart. However, if you throw in the 5% discount, Walmart prices seem, initially hard to beat.

Finally, do you guys verify that the gold you're buying is actually gold and to the correct specs? If so, how do you do that?
AggieT
AG
I've been looking at this as well. They currently have AGEs for $2015 sold by APMEX. Using the Walmart card gets you essentially spot price.
Post removed:
by user
maddiedou
AG
I personally think the Morgan and my reason is because I can grade a morgan easier than a peace

So many defining characteristics of the Morgan
Red Pear Realty
Sponsor
AG
Morgan
Sponsor Message: We Split Commissions. Full Service Agents in Austin, Bryan-College Station, Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston and San Antonio. Red Pear Realty
Mas89
AG
The Walking Liberty Half Dollar has always been my favorite coin. Best eagle and lady Liberty imo.
Pepper Brooks
AG
What do you all like at <1oz gold quantities? I've historically done roosters but want to mix it up a bit.
Esteban du Plantier
AG
Pepper Brooks said:

What do you all like at <1oz gold quantities? I've historically done roosters but want to mix it up a bit.

I've got some British sovereigns to sell.
jagvocate
AG
Premiums are low. I picked up some rolls of pre-1965 silver US coin and a British Royal Mint 10oz for prices that seem to be akin to last summer's

nortex97
AG
Yeah it hasn't really moved in a long time. Some of the stuff I have is from when I was a kid and also given to my kids by elders. I just thought demand would force prices up by now with all that is going on in the world.
jagvocate
AG
If the COMEX and LBMA paper traders, who have an inordinate impact on the prices of physical silver, can't scare you out they'll try to wear you out. Meanwhile, they buy, I buy.

Esteban du Plantier
AG
I guess I found you on reddit.
Robert L. Peters
My favorite silver coin is the Krugerand. It's just a beautiful thing.
What you say, Paper Champion? I'm gonna beat you like a dog, a dog, you hear me!
Esteban du Plantier
AG
The Green Dragon said:

My favorite silver coin is the Krugerand. It's just a beautiful thing.

One of my favorites. Also the Libertad and pretty much anything from Perth. The Australian wildlife series are incredible. I have most years of kangaroo and kook, as well as the other ones like the 2oz 'next generation' series of mother/child animals. I like my koala and platypus.
Post removed:
by user
Esteban du Plantier
AG
jP Hoffman said:

Any of y'all have any Chinese Pandas?

I bought one used, but refuse to buy new ones.

Also they are only 30 grams instead of 31.1, so slightly less metal for the same/more money.
Brewmaster
AG

I ordered eagles so I wasn't paying attention. You'd think discretion would prevail though - I obviously had placed another order that was exactly the same.
the bigger question is, is 30K stacking gold and silver ? and large amounts.
Red Pear Realty
Sponsor
AG
Picked these up at the LCS yesterday. My birth year ASE plus some bonus toning for $30, plus some barber quarters for good measure.

Sponsor Message: We Split Commissions. Full Service Agents in Austin, Bryan-College Station, Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston and San Antonio. Red Pear Realty
$30,000 Millionaire
AG
Nah. Just buy periodically.
Red Pear Realty
Sponsor
AG
If you aren't checking the coinstar machine for "reject" silver coins, are you really living? This is my first US mint silver. A 1945 War Nickel.

jagvocate
AG

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.