Business & Investing
Sponsored by

Buying physical gold/silver

271,594 Views | 1895 Replies | Last: 4 days ago by jagvocate
maddiedou
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Well lets just say I am not a collector of copper
BUT

When I first got into coin collecting I bought everything that moved well 100-200,000 pennies later and here I sit on a bunch of copper

So yo your question. I sure hope copper eventually gets scare in my life time because I do not want my kids to have to get rid of all these indian and wheat pennies
maddiedou
maddiedou
AG
erudite said:

Silver hit ~$34 in China open earlier today (Yesterday for them).

Anyone stack "non-standard" metals like Platinum, palladium or iridium? Any tips on those?

I have about 100 ounces of titanium. Dont ask me why because I cannot tell you why I bought them
maddiedou
Jabin
We all need to buy cardboard.

Steve Martin - Stock Market (youtube.com)
Red Pear Realty
Sponsor
AG
Probably my favorite coinstar find ever.

Sponsor Message: We Split Commissions. Full Service Agents in Austin, Bryan-College Station, Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston and San Antonio. Red Pear Realty
maddiedou
AG
Red Pear Realty said:

Probably my favorite coinstar find ever.

How did this work for you and you dont have to answer

But does not the brinks truck pick up coinstar coins and take them to a counting site

Again I am not skeptical I believe you just wondering how that happened
maddiedou
AggieT
AG
They end up in the reject tray and people just leave it.
maddiedou
AG
I have never used one, but that makes sense
maddiedou
Red Pear Realty
Sponsor
AG
AggieT said:

They end up in the reject tray and people just leave it.

That's it. Folks don't know what mercury dimes are any more. Or don't care. But I get a lot of enjoyment out of hunting coinstar reject bins. The Harris County Toll Road Authority token might be my favorite from this bunch. I've never seen one of those before.
Sponsor Message: We Split Commissions. Full Service Agents in Austin, Bryan-College Station, Dallas-Fort Worth, Houston and San Antonio. Red Pear Realty
TTUArmy
5/19/2024 (Sunday Night)
Silver - $32.27
Gold - $2445.10
TTUArmy
Aggie_2463
AG
If anyone is around Bryan / CS - I have about 80 eagles I'll sell. Just shoot me a PM.

I have 3 sleeves from mint I bought back in 2014 (I recently opened one to verify date because I couldn't remember), rest are various dates from 2001 - 2023 all in either plastic sleeve or case.
redsquirrelAG
AG
Pricing?
Aggie_2463
AG
Everywhere online is $40.50-$41 per - some $43+ for the older years plus tax under $1000 buy.

Anyways, figure $39 a pop no taxes, cash / venmo / Zelle

HarleySpoon
AG
Has anyone ever given much thought to trying to accumulate quantities of sterling silver flatware (92.5% pure) and sending it to a smelter? Just seems like even constitutional (90% pure) is now trading at a discount to the pure silver in their mass.
I bleed maroon
AG
Aggie_2463 said:

Everywhere online is $40.50-$41 per - some $43+ for the older years plus tax under $1000 buy.

Is the taxation a new thing? I bought my silver in 2014 or so, and don't recall paying tax at that time. Do they consider < $1000 a retail collector vs. an investor for bigger buys?
Red Pear Realty
Sponsor
AG
Texas doesn't collect sales tax on bullion.
abram97
AG
Aggie_2463 said:

online is buying 2 dollars above spot. Like 34 bucks.

how bout 35 bucks? Or 36 bucks?
No material on this site is intended to be a substitute for professional medical advice, diagnosis or treatment. See full Medical Disclaimer.
TTUArmy
Morning!

Gold = $2434.80
Silver = $32.01

APMEX
2024 AGE = $2544.59 (+$110 over spot)
2024 ASE = $40.02 (+$8 over spot)

TTUArmy
Is the Shanghai Metals Exchange in the process of a short silver squeeze? A number of people in the PM community are talking about large physical deliveries of silver and gold being sucked out of the west by China. To what end is anyone's guess.

What say the PM stackers on TexAgs?

jagvocate
AG
TTUArmy said:

Is the Shanghai Metals Exchange in the process of a short silver squeeze? A number of people in the PM community are talking about large physical deliveries of silver and gold being sucked out of the west by China. To what end is anyone's guess.

What say the PM stackers on TexAgs?

China: Call in the US Banks
US Banks: How can we help?
China: We want your Gold.
US Banks: Ok, you got it.
China: We want ALL your Gold.
US Banks: Gotcha. No Problem.
China starts buying Gold.
US Banks: We need Gold. Who has the Gold? We are short? WTF?

The Shanghai exchange, at China's direction, is incentivizing traders to use arbitrage (taking advantage of price differential for the same item) between Shanghai's higher prices and the lower prices of COMEX, London Bullion Market (ie. the "Western Markets") to vacuum up all the gold--and to a lesser extent silver--into China's vaults.

Under the new BRICS frameworks, the USD and UST's will no longer be used to balance BRICS trade … these countries will trade goods for currency and then periodically settle up in precious metals when the currency levels get "too high" in the direction of one trading party or another ... So the BRICS countries like China "want the gold" and they represent a large portion of world population and growing

Aggiemike96
AG
My CoinStar find today. No idea what these are yet.

52 edits later… I give up trying to post an image while mobile.
Red Pear Realty
Sponsor
AG
Text it to me. My cell is in my profile. I'll post it for you.
TTUArmy
Morning!

Gold = $2377.70
Silver = $30.76

APMEX
2024 AGE = $2487.89 (+$110.19 over spot)
2024 ASE = $38.76 (+$8 over spot)

Silver needs to build support at $30.00...
Aggiemike96
AG
I give up. Forget it.
TTUArmy
Sure is nice to see silver hold above $30 going into the long weekend.
jagvocate
AG
TTUArmy said:

Sure is nice to see silver hold above $30 going into the long weekend.
Silver is currently at $31.78USD
+1.47 (+4.85%)

Aggiemike96
AG
I assume US markets are closed. If so, what's causing the price movement? I had always thought the US market was the market-mover?
Heineken-Ashi
Aggiemike96 said:

I assume US markets are closed. If so, what's causing the price movement? I had always thought the US market was the market-mover?

The overwhelming majority of price movement is from futures contracts which were open today.
“Give it hell Heinekandle, I’m enjoying it.”
- Farmer @ Johnsongrass, TX

“No secure borders, no alpha military, no energy independence, no leadership and most of all no mean tweets - this is the worst trade I’ve ever witnessed in my lifetime. ***Put that quote in your quote/signature section HeinendKandle*** LOL!”
- also Farmer @ Johnsongrass, TX (obviously in a worse mood)
jagvocate
AG
Aggiemike96 said:

Asia (China) is playing a larger and larger role in moving the metals. Specifically through the Shanghai exchanges.

redsquirrelAG
AG
Japan collapse is imminent and will have a major effect on the dollar.
TTUArmy
redsquirrelAG said:

Japan collapse is imminent and will have a major effect on the dollar.
The end of the Yen carry trade will make for some choppy water in the US bond market. The future interest rates on 10yr and 30yr will be interesting. It's hard to imagine a country actively parking millions or billions of dollars, for decades, in an economy with such mismanaged fiscal and monetary policy.

The buzzword lately seems to be "commodities". Might take a look at miners today and see what's good.
jagvocate
AG
Fortuna Silver, Silvercrest Metals, Outcrop Silver and Gold and Coeur Mining have been good so far to me. Silver miners have quietly been outpacing gold miners lately

If the two precious metals stocks below "back test" the blue line over which they've broken out, could be a good buy/entry point for anyone wanting precious metals "in the ground" exposure.

If what I typed sounds like jibberish just keep stacking precious metals like recommended here :-)

Red Pear Realty
Sponsor
AG
Silver hit $32 and gold $2,360.
TTUArmy
Red Pear Realty said:

Silver hit $32 and gold $2,360.

Shanghai market has silver at almost $36 p/troy oz. Pretty wild.

Up, Up, and Away.
techno-ag
AG
$40, here we go.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.