Astros/Rangers Discussion - NO MODS ALLOWED

138,170 Views | 1988 Replies | Last: 21 hrs ago by Grapesoda2525
Marvin
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
ahpetty33 said:

Marvin said:

Cappo said:

We accomplished the same as the *asstros*...did I do the silly name calling shtick right?

You are one of 18 teams in MLB history to win a WS and then post a losing record, and several of those did it on purpose (Marlins, for example). Your team hasn't accomplished crap in their franchise history to collectively match the Astros run over the past seven years.

Cope all you want. Crow after your season is over to rub salve on your "title defense" effort. Your team participated in the lowest watched WS in history, then followed it up with an impressive nosedive back to mediocrity.

Congrats on being a one-hit wonder.

You felt soooooo badass pressing post on this comment, I just know it

Huh, must have hit closer to home than I thought it would.
Ciboag96
I know the Rangers have slid into mediocrity with the ease of long established muscle memory. No October baseball in Arlington is a comfort, like a warm mouth hug from a favorite boy cousin.

But my grandkids are suffering. Most of them haven't been alive long enough to know an Astros team not making it to the ALCS. Only two games in October this year? They don't know what to do! I'm having them bring out the literally dozens of championship shirts, jerseys, hats, pennants, commemorative bobble heads, replica rings, commemorative magazines, MVP and Cy Young signed towels and baseballs, etc so they can appreciate what they have and how much better off they are than the children of Somalia, Nicaragua and Arlington.

But, please, again, pray for these small suffering children of Houston who don't know a world without at least an ALDS.
CampingAg
AG
My two favorite Astros trash talking bits:

1. Arlington - I live in North FW. I am very glad the Rangers play in Arlington.

2. Fluke 2023 World Series - You think after 2010-2011 (when you could say STL won a fluky World Series) any of us give one single iota HOW we WON a World Series? 29 other teams last year including Houston fans would have loved to win a fluke World Series.
tjack16
AG
CampingAg said:

1. Arlington - I live in North FW. I am very glad the Rangers play in Arlington.

2. Fluke 2023 World Series - You think after 2010-2011 (when you could say STL won a fluky World Series) any of us give one single iota HOW we WON a World Series? 29 other teams last year including Houston fans would have loved to win a fluke World Series.

There's no such thing as a fluke World Series unless it's a shortened season. So that narrative is stupid by my fellow Astros fans

However the one hit wonder thing could be true if the rangers don't get back for a while. We'll see though I think y'all have too much talent to not make it when healthy.
The Porkchop Express
AG
If you guys want FC off this thread, just post a picture of a woman.
CampingAg
AG
Right. I think it mainly stems from winning as a Wild Card. If we would've won a whopping one more regular season game and won the WS as a division winner nobody would bat an eye.
South Platte
CampingAg said:

Fluke is a strange word to use, and it implies jealousy and reduces an accomplishment. Every team has to have players exceed their norms to win a World Series. We certainly had them last year with Heim, Garcia, etc. You have to be good AND lucky to win a title.

Marwin Gonzalez. Does Houston win in 2017 without him batting 50 points above his career average and 200 points over career OPS? What if he doesn't hit the 9th inning home run in Game 2? Brad Peacock? Devenski? Even Correa never had that high of OPS.

Jeremy Pena. This guy is a terrible baseball player, as stated 1000 times on the Astros thread. He had a career year in 2022 and was the WS MVP.

2019 Nationals. Loaded with career years by players, especially in the playoffs.
jkag89
Quote:

Jeremy Pena. This guy is a terrible baseball player, as stated 1000 times on the Astros thread. He had a career year in 2022 and was the WS MVP.
Pena is not a terrible ballplayer. The angst on the Astros thread is because he hasn't bloomed into the player that we hoped based upon his 2022 postseason. He is a more than serviceable everyday MLB shortstop, he just not the All Star that many were hoping for.

Anyways, if you read the Astros thread enough, every player on the team is trash.
tjack16
AG
Even if Pena was average in the 2022 WS we still would have won. We won off the backs of our pitching staff.
Honestly you could argue that Framber or Pressly were more deserving of WS MVP. I was kind of surprised they went with Pena
JWinTX
CampingAg said:

Right. I think it mainly stems from winning as a Wild Card. If we would've won a whopping one more regular season game and won the WS as a division winner nobody would bat an eye.

If we had won the division, we wouldn't have beaten Houston, since they had to play 4 games at MMP. They totally win the ALCS and WS if the Rangers won the AL West and they got to play here for 4 games.

Strangest thing in baseball I've ever seen.
South Platte
JWinTX said:

CampingAg said:

If we had won the division, we wouldn't have beaten Houston, since they had to play 4 games at MMP. They totally win the ALCS and WS if the Rangers won the AL West and they got to play here for 4 games.

Strangest thing in baseball I've ever seen.
Maybe Houston doesn't beat Tampa in the WC. That would have changed everything. Maybe Tampa wins the WS.
The Porkchop Express
AG
The Rangers won the WS in 2023 fair and square.
The Astros won it in 2017 and 2022. There is no asterisk for the 2017 title in any sports record book anywhere on this planet. Some people say all the fans still hate the Astros for cheating, but if that's the case, why does Altuve win the A-S vote every year?

If we could all accept these truths, the # of posts on this thread would drop by 90%
Ciboag96
Absolutely the Rangers won in 2023. Anyone who denies that is a moron. It was an epic ALCS. Hats off to them.

And sure some of the Astros cheated in 2017. And some turned a blind eye. But everyone was doing it, we just did it like Champions. lol.
JWinTX
The Porkchop Express said:

The Astros won it in 2017 and 2022. There is no asterisk for the 2017 title in any sports record book anywhere on this planet. Some people say all the fans still hate the Astros for cheating, but if that's the case, why does Altuve win the A-S vote every year?

If we could all accept these truths, the # of posts on this thread would drop by 90%
I don't think ASG voting necessarily makes the hatred of the Astros across the country any less. People want to see the best play in that game. I vote for Altuve every year for the ASG because he's been the best 2b and is a sure-fire hall of famer.

The Astros are hated more than anyone in baseball and it's not close. The commissioner and the MLB media hate them, too. But having a villain is great for the game, so I think you should embrace it. You're the Chiefs of the league, but probably hated even more. Look, baseball is a game of cheating--it always has been. Yall just figured out a way that was technologically ahead of the curve and you beat the sips of the MLB, the Yankees too many times. Once Fiers gave the gig up to the media, Hinch and Luhnow were the sacrificial lambs. And it never mattered to anyone in the MLB that others were doing similar things.
jkag89
Quote:

The Astros are hated more than anyone in baseball and it's not close.
I'll accept there is a general hatred across the board among MLB fans towards the Astros. I do not think any of it comes close the BoSox/NYY hatred or the hatred towards the Damn Yankees in general, LAD/SF hatred or StL/Cubs hatred.
Hornbeck
AG
jkag89 said:

Quote:

I'll accept there is a general hatred across the board among MLB fans towards the Astros. I do not think any of it comes close the BoSox/NYY hatred or the hatred towards the Damn Yankees in general, LAD/SF hatred or StL/Cubs hatred.

What's crazy is that ire does not transfer over to Cora and Hinch, the guys who actually masterminded the scheme in the case of Cora, and was complicit in the case of Hinch.
Grapesoda2525
CampingAg said:

That Rangers team went undefeated on the road in the playoffs. 10-0 or 11-0? Probably won't be replicated anytime soon.

Definitely a legitimate championship.
Wabs
AG
I'm an Astros fan and anyone saying the Rangers championship was a fluke is just plain stupid.
htxag09
AG
Wabs said:

I'm an Astros fan and anyone saying the Rangers championship was a fluke is just plain stupid.

Honest question, who's saying that? It's been brought up a lot but I just searched the last handful of pages and it wasn't mentioned until a rangers fan brought it up.

One hit wonder? Sure. Fluke? I'm sure it was said on this thread, but definitely isn't prevalent.
Wabs
AG
htxag09 said:

Wabs said:

Honest question, who's saying that? It's been brought up a lot but I just searched the last handful of pages and it wasn't mentioned until a rangers fan brought it up.

One hit wonder? Sure. Fluke? I'm sure it was said on this thread, but definitely isn't prevalent.
Great question. I'm just saying that IF anyone is saying that, it's stupid.
htxag09
AG
JWinTX said:

I don't think ASG voting necessarily makes the hatred of the Astros across the country any less. People want to see the best play in that game. I vote for Altuve every year for the ASG because he's been the best 2b and is a sure-fire hall of famer.

The Astros are hated more than anyone in baseball and it's not close. The commissioner and the MLB media hate them, too. But having a villain is great for the game, so I think you should embrace it. You're the Chiefs of the league, but probably hated even more. Look, baseball is a game of cheating--it always has been. Yall just figured out a way that was technologically ahead of the curve and you beat the sips of the MLB, the Yankees too many times. Once Fiers gave the gig up to the media, Hinch and Luhnow were the sacrificial lambs. And it never mattered to anyone in the MLB that others were doing similar things.
I just find this very hard to believe. ASG is absolutely a popularity contest. Sure, there will be new players who get voted in based on performance. But, example, Trout is a default to be voted in, even if he misses half the season to that point due to injury.

In 2021 Yuli was a gold glove winner and the batting champion but not an All Star.....
The Porkchop Express
AG
JWinTX said:

There is no way you can possibly quantify this.

They sell T-shirts outside Fenway that say "YANKEES SUCK" even when they aren't playing the Yankees. You think Boston fans hate the Astros more than the Yankees?
cc10106
Or the "Bahston sawks cack" shirts sold outside Yankee Stadium or at least when I was there.

Lots of people have been hoodwinked into hating the Astros to irrational levels, but I guess that was the idea when MLB said that's how they would punish the players instead. Lots of folks sure are cheering for the Tigers now, though, despite who their manager is.
jkag89

JWinTX said:

There is no way you can possibly quantify this.

They sell T-shirts outside Fenway that say "YANKEES SUCK" even when they aren't playing the Yankees. You think Boston fans hate the Astros more than the Yankees?
Yankees Suck chants broke out at the Pats very first Super Bowl parade. Absolutely no love lost there.
Langley
I would claim the dodgers are most hated baseball franchise

People just like to give astrosn**** about the trash cans
Grapesoda2525
I'm glad this thread has been so quiet lately. Enjoying this rare baseball peace and quiet in early October.
jkag89
What's the fun in that!
tjack16
AG
Grapesoda2525 said:

I'm glad this thread has been so quiet lately. Enjoying this rare baseball peace and quiet in early October.

Hard to talk trash when both teams aren't good

Let's just hope Aggie football can sustain us this fall. We will find out in about 7 hours or so if their season will be anything potentially special
Grapesoda2525
tjack16 said:

Grapesoda2525 said:

Hard to talk trash when both teams aren't good

Let's just hope Aggie football can sustain us this fall. We will find out in about 7 hours or so if their season will be anything potentially special
Beat mizzou and it can be very exciting / interesting until the last game against tu. Team could actually go on a run.

And yeah to be a little more specific. It seems like injuries have been killing the rangers the last 3 years and we can't ever get out in front of the injury bug. Even the year we won the World Series, we had every single one of our all stars on the disabled list at one point in time. I'm really hoping the playoff run took and the collective toll of the injuries took a lot out of the team and they will look a lot better next year. There's definitely a reason nobody has repeated as champions since the Yankees did it in the early 2000's.

As for the Astros, yeah I'm glad your 7 straight ALCS streak is over. I'm jealous and disappointed that we didn't put up more of a fight to make it back to the ALCS or try to start our own streak. You guys had an all star caliber pitching staff on the DL for most of the year so I know injuries really hurt you guys too, but your team did a much better job of fighting through it.

I think Verlander and Scherzer are both pretty much done at this point.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.