Manchester United 2022-23 Thread

90,451 Views | 2000 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Dre_00
Mathguy64
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
It sucks to give up 2 points but the reality is it's 6 points over spurs with 2 games in hand. Same with AV. 7 points and a game in hand to Liverpool. Brighton is 11 back but they have a game in hand.

Those are lots of points to make up with all those teams only having 5 to play. It's more than a point per game. Realistically it's closer to 1.5 with the games in hand.

The first half is so good. The depth with subs is non existence.
Dre_00
There are definitely different flavors of draws and that was a horrible. I expected Spurs to at least fight from the opening whistle but they didn't really. As soon as they did, United folded.

The mentality of United is frankly horrible at the moment and I'll say it's the first criticism that I have of ETH. Because I'm sure he'll talk about how this is something that can't happen and we need to be mentally stronger, etc. But it happens ALL the time and it continues to happen. He hasn't fixed it...yet anyway.

It's pretty much been a trend throughout the season. We habitually play worse in the 2nd half than the 1st. Sometimes it costs us the game, sometimes it doesn't but recently, it seems it's costing us more.

And honestly, that is a lot more worrying to me that the table is comforting. Because that lead and those games in hand are meaningless when you rollover anytime you have a lead and the opponent has the audacity to you know...try and come back.
Dre_00
And to finalize my ranting/venting...

I hadn't realized this until I looked at the fixture list but...we've won exactly 3 of our last 8 games (counting FA Cup semi as a draw). Two of those wins were against teams currently fighting relegation.

The cushion hopefully will be enough but we are throwing away games and stumbling hard at the finish line.
Aston94
AG
The number of games is really catching up with us, very apparent in second half today. We needed a boost off the bench and just don't have many options.
Dre_00
Thunder18 said:

Malacia is awful

It's funny because after those first two losses of the season, Malacia got a steady run of starts and Shaw looked like he'd have a real battle to keep the starting LB spot. Malacia was playing pretty well.

A lot has changed in 8 months. Now Shaw is arguably our most important defender let alone LB and has looked fantastic in multiple positions in the backline. Meanwhile, Malacia has fallen off and that massive error at home against Sevilla seems to have destroyed him. He has struggled even more since then and it's telling that ETH, who once favored him a bit at the beginning of the season, now prefers playing Dalot out of position to starting Malacia when Shaw is forced into the CB role.
Dre_00
Garnacho signs new contract till 2028. Also sounds like he isn't far from being available for selection on game day.
Thunder18
AG
Dre_00 said:

Thunder18 said:

Malacia is awful

It's funny because after those first two losses of the season, Malacia got a steady run of starts and Shaw looked like he'd have a real battle to keep the starting LB spot. Malacia was playing pretty well.

A lot has changed in 8 months. Now Shaw is arguably our most important defender let alone LB and has looked fantastic in multiple positions in the backline. Meanwhile, Malacia has fallen off and that massive error at home against Sevilla seems to have destroyed him. He has struggled even more since then and it's telling that ETH, who once favored him a bit at the beginning of the season, now prefers playing Dalot out of position to starting Malacia when Shaw is forced into the CB role.

He got caught out of position on their 2nd goal yesterday as well. Guy just doesn't pay attention or have situational awareness and it's bit the team in the ass multiple times now. On the first goal AWB was WAAAYY out of position and then loafed out to challenge Perisic...it's so frustrating that small mental lapses by our fullbacks have been killing us lately
Thunder18
AG
Have to start putting some of these early chances away
Mathguy64
AG
You are going to have to kill someone to get carded today. The wet pitch and speed of play is a bad combination. Add in that the Referee seems content to not know what reckless means and it's a get out of jail free kind of day.
Mathguy64
AG
Bruno makes the hard one today after missing the sitter Thursday.

I was afraid Marcus was off initially.
Mathguy64
AG
AVL are playing a suicidally high line. The goals are there.
Dre_00
We gotta slag off Malacia more often. He was really good that half.

Probably just jinxed it.
Mathguy64
AG
To be fair AVL seems to be pushing Young up at him. Playing defense against a 395 year old RB who is pressing high can't be that hard.
Dre_00
Yeah, I jinxed him. Looked like a deer in the headlights trying to figure out if he should close down Young in the 1st minute of the 2nd half.
Mathguy64
AG
That was hilarious. AVL (who is known for very slow play) is mad about us taking forever to take that free kick. All while their player is literally standing on top of the ball delaying the free kick.
Thunder18
AG
Sancho killing a great break there, just shoot it dude
Mathguy64
AG
That was a very subtle yet very real backpass.
Thunder18
AG
Eriksen has not had a good last 5 minutes. Yikes
Dre_00
Mathguy64 said:

AVL are playing a suicidally high line. The goals are there.

With Martinez playing as sweeper keeper, there's not nearly as space there as you would expect. He's done a really good job of snuffing out most of those balls that are being played behind the Villa backline.
Mathguy64
AG
Charging is no longer a foul now. Ok.
Thunder18
AG
Ref happy to call same foul 20x anywhere else on the field
Mathguy64
AG
Thunder18 said:

Ref happy to call same foul 20x anywhere else on the field

Yep. He's now called it three times for AVL for much less contact.
Thunder18
AG
Looks like we'll have to survive 5+ minutes of Slabhead
Showstopper
AG
No jinx but end of game small doses are where he's most palatable.

Please no jinx lol.
Mathguy64
AG
There is retaliation happening all over the field because he's refusing to call the initial foul.
Mathguy64
AG
Survival and a big 3 points. The second half again was a struggle but thankfully AVL had no one capable of scoring.
Thunder18
AG
Huge result. Lindelof or Case MOTM
Dre_00
We likely need 9 points to guarantee top 4. 11 would absolutely do it on the off chance that Brighton wins out. I don't expect that but I do expect Liverpool to because their schedule is a cakewalk. 3 of their last 5 are at home and the 2 road games are against teams that will likely be relegated by the time they play them.

Should be doable but far from certain.
Dre_00
Varane and McTominay out for the next two games. Sounds like McTominay might miss the rest of the season. Varane might be available for the final game and/or the FA Cup final.

So hold on to your butts everyone because that means a lot more of either Maguire, Malacia, or Dalot playing as a LB.
Mathguy64
AG
Shaw again at CB, Dalot on the left and AWB on the right.

It's just astounding to me that we are playing 2 players out of position at the back and a weaker RB instead of Slabhead at CB, Shaw on the left and Dalot on the right.

That big screwball is messing up 3 spots.
Mathguy64
AG
Lindelof with the horrific giveaway and DDG saves it with his face. Let's hope he can continue.
Mathguy64
AG
Mitoma is eating AWB alive.
Dre_00
Brighton are really freaking good.
Mathguy64
AG
Meh. They are slow to play on possession and defensively they are really sketchy. They look like a one trick pony in Mitoma. If we were capable of scoring it might be 2-0.

On the Flip side we have gifted them the ball at least 3 times for really good scoring chances.
Mathguy64
AG
Marriner isn't calling anything. In one little stretch there were 2 fouls by each team and he just ignored them. Someone is going to retaliate.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.