Manchester United 2022-23 Thread

83,785 Views | 2000 Replies | Last: 11 mo ago by Dre_00
Thunder18
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Martial can't even go 3 games without an injury. Sell
Furlock Bones
AG
For the last decade we have had to overpay to attract players. It's lead to a lot of young players getting heavy contracts before they prove their worth or older players starting a bit of a decline. It's a vicious cycle we have yet to break.
Furlock Bones
AG
Casemiro gets a yellow. Jeebus.
Thunder18
AG
Yellow for nothing
Thunder18
AG
And again. Why do refs let Spanish teams get away with this bull**** EVERY TIME
Mathguy64
AG
Antony got a yellow for a foul and we kept the ball? That's impossible. So he got it for what? Dissent? Saying the Sevilla player was simulating?
Dre_00
On the plus side, I've called each of the 3 subs correctly?
boogieman
AG
What the hella as that DeGea?
Mathguy64
AG
Oh my. I have no words.
Dre_00
Lots of question marks building for this team. Injuries, suspensions, and some poor performances are adding up. I still think they can finish top 4 but their performances continue to deteriorate as the season drags on.
Thunder18
AG
Completely embarassing performance start to finish. Brighton are going to murder us on Sunday.

Please God force the Glazers to accept a bid to sell their full stake and let us offload all of these overpaid bozos
planoaggie123
AG
Still feel good for Top 4 finish....we had no real chance to win Europa with our run of form / injuries / etc.

Now just rest when can and focus on Premier League and secure Top 4....way too many games this year...
Mathguy64
AG
So if we finish top 4 and Sevilla win this I bet $1000 we magically end in the same group next year.

Takers?
wangus12
AG
boogieman said:

What the hella as that DeGea?

Why have yall not upgraded at GK yet? He's been going downhill for years
Dre_00
I think you know the answer to that question.

I think the related and better question is why is ETH seemingly determined to keep him? My guess is he is either saying the right things in public to limit the distraction but planning for an alternative in the off-season or he is for a limited budget in the off-season that will only allow him to upgrade in other, higher priority areas (like forward, winger, and additional bodies in midfield).

Because there's no way that he can actually believe De Gea is an above average goalie for the system he wants to play. In many ways, it's poetic that he and Maguire were the ones who made the most glaring mistakes. Both have skillsets that were much more valued 5-10 years ago and whose liabilities are amplified in the current era. For better or for worse, most big, successful clubs will require their back 5 to be comfortable on the ball and capable of playing out of the back. Neither of them will ever be even average at that let alone excel at that.

Word is that De Gea is close to agreeing to a new contract (with significantly lower pay) which isn't ideal BUT...if you surround him with defenders who can more often than not bail him out of his idiotic passes, then you can limit his weakness significantly. Or in other words getting rid of Maguire probably makes De Gea better if not an ideal solution...as long as you replace Maguire with a center back that has a better skillset for your tactics.
Dre_00
The good news: It's probably our first choice front 6 starting.

The bad news: 3 full backs (2 being played out of position) in our back 4.
Mathguy64
AG
Spurs going all Spursy was the best possible outcome. 6 points up and 2 games in hand. Villa is 8 back and again two games in hand. Pool is 9 back and 1 in hand.
Dre_00
After today, Brighton might be the biggest threat for top 4. They have one game in hand and a much better GD plus we still have to play them away. Could quite easily be only 4 points (or less) behind us in a couple of weeks
Mathguy64
AG
Brighton had every reason to be hacked at the FA. They have been straight robbed of 6 points. A good argument for 7. It's very possible they will not make European football next season as a direct result of mistakes that were admitted and apologized for.
Dre_00
This ref has decided that Brighton can't get a yellow card.
Thunder18
AG
Just what we need...30 more minutes
Mathguy64
AG
Thunder18 said:

Just what we need...30 more minutes
Could be worse. It could be a whole extra match.
Thunder18
AG
Pens will be interesting without Bruno and Martial
Thunder18
AG
Mitoma should be gone
Dre_00
Why are we kicking into the Brighton end and going 2nd?
Thunder18
AG
De Gea literally just kinda slumps to his right every single time
planoaggie123
AG
Has he ever stopped a penalty?
Dre_00
Thank you Solly March
Thunder18
AG
Iceman lives up to his nickname
Showstopper
AG
Another easy win! Tuck City!
Aston94
AG
I am yelling at tv each shooter which way they are going and pick right on all but 1, but De Gea has no idea. He is really bad at pks.
Aston94
AG
Dre_00 said:

Why are we kicking into the Brighton end and going 2nd?

Did we choose to go 2nd?
Dre_00
I think there might have been two separate coin tosses and United lost both of them? Either way, very weird.
Dre_00
Spurs have sacked Stellini so beware the new manager bounce on Thursday. Mason didn't have them playing that badly last time he stepped in and I'm sure the players will have something to prove at home after that Newcastle performance. This has trap game written all over it.
Mathguy64
AG
Dre_00 said:

I think there might have been two separate coin tosses and United lost both of them? Either way, very weird.

There are always 2 coin tosses for kicks.

1. Flip to choose the end, provided there is not some reason like bad lighting or a muddy goal area that makes the referee decide.

2. Flip o kick 1 or 2.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.