Manchester United 2022-23 Thread

90,350 Views | 2000 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Dre_00
Dre_00
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Real Betis in the round of 16.
jeffk
AG
Is Rashford okay?
Thunder18
AG
Dre_00 said:

Real Betis in the round of 16.

Spanish teams
HummingbirdSaltalamacchia
AG
Man that was a fun game. Garnacho and especially Antony changed the entire game in my opinion. But yeah, Garnacho not killing time needs to be addressed with him. Although I can appreciate his aggressiveness and always wanting to go forward. He's young and he'll learn. Rashy didn't score but he was still really dangerous. Casemiro was all over the pitch and makes this team so dangerous. We just aren't quite the same when he doesn't play. We got good Fred this game. When he's on like this we can beat anyone . And AWB? Aside from his occasional coasting and guys coming up on his ass, he played a great game. I'm almost at the point that I hope we keep him. He's still not a threat on offense, at least to score, but he's adept enough and gets the ball up on the right side that he breaks the defense down. Weghorst will take criticism but he did what he was asked to do. but it was clear it wasn't working, and to ETHs credit, made the change at half.
Thunder18
AG
I'm just happy that we finally have a manager again that sees when something isn't effective and makes the personnel and tactical changes to address the issues. It's like night and day from watching Ole and Ralf wait until 80+minutes in to make changes or subs
Dre_00
I'm not optimistic.
Furlock Bones
AG
Uhhhh

Mathguy64
AG
So they go to the monitor during handbags to give Casemiro a red and today go to a monitor to rescind a red to Ziyech during handbags. Make up your mind PGMOL.
Thunder18
AG
Absolutely ridiculous overturn on Ziyech
Aston94
AG
Good to see Rashford is fit and starting today!
Dre_00
We won a thing! We won a thing! Wasn't the prettiest but I understand why. It may "only" be the League Cup but imagine someone told you this time last year that United would win the League Cup in 2023? Massive result and hopefully a sign of future success. Love ETH.

Now back to a game every 3-4 days. My guess is we'll see the likes of Malacia, Sabitzer, Sancho, etc. start on Wednesday against West Ham.
jeffk
AG
You're welcome for making sure Nick Pope was out of action today.
Dre_00
Don't expect us to return the favor on Sunday.
Aston94
AG
jeffk said:

You're welcome for making sure Nick Pope was out of action today.

In all fairness, the keeper had no shot at either of those goals. But I am sure you Liverpool fans had a bit of PTSD seeing him back on the pitch.
jeffk
AG
I feel bad for the dude. It's a real possibility that he was playing concussed in the CL final.
jeffk
AG
Dre_00 said:

Don't expect us to return the favor on Sunday.

Well we suck, so if you can't beat us you don't deserve any more trophies this season.
akm91
AG
jeffk said:

I feel bad for the dude. It's a real possibility that he was playing concussed in the CL final.
I read LFC flew Karius out to US days after the CL final and he still had significant signs of concussion.
"And liberals, being liberals, will double down on failure." - dedgod
Showstopper
AG
FWIW (probably not much) the NYSE traded MANU stock price is down almost 30% from the high just before the bids were submitted, and about 9% today (right now anyway) from Friday's close. It's still much higher than it was trading from before the announcement of the possibility of a sale (low teens). Nevertheless, the market appears a little spooked that they won't actually sale. I still think they will sale because I think they know someone who will invest really needs to come in, and most of the siblings don't appear interested in doing anything to invest their own money. I don't think they take the Elliott offer because Elliott loans are very unfavorable to the borrower in the past. Glazers worth quite a bit through their sports holdings, but they aren't very liquid; they can sell for almost a bil each now, or they could take more debt from Elliott, but their interest rates are high, and if they defaulted the Glazers would essentially lose all their equity. Personally, I think they are just trying to get the bids to go up a little, but I think they know this is a pretty good time to sell. But, you know, we will see I guess.
Dre_00
If they thought the fans were against them before they put the club up for sale, imagine the uproar if they end up not selling. I too think they'll sell. With interest rates going up, their risk is going up exponentially. But it seems Avram and Joel really do enjoy being Manchester United owners in spite of the fans' hatred for them. It's possible their heart will overrule their mind which surely should be telling them to get out now.
Dre_00
I also don't know what sort of agreement must exist amongst the siblings in order to sell in full. If the other 4 are 100% over it and want to cash in their billion pounds, then can they force a full sale via a vote? Or could they be held hostage by Avram and Joel if they refuse to sell? I doubt either the Qataris or Ratcliffe would be interested in merely buying out the other 4 siblings so this likely comes down to the sibling dynamics.
Dre_00
Shaw and Fred are questionable for tomorrow. Even more likely we'll see Malacia and Sabitzer.
Aston94
AG
Wouldn't break my heart if we went out of the FA Cup, but man I don't want to go out to West Ham!
Dre_00
Glazers now want to wait till end of the season before deciding on a sale because they haven't received an offer that meets their valuation. I'm guessing they are hoping for more interested buyers or improved offers if the club confirms a top 4 spot. But this is a very sub-optimal development that will almost definitely impact the summer transfer season.
Mathguy64
AG
That hilarious. The Qatari offer was already stratospheric and no private individual or group could match it.
Aston94
AG
Lineup for FA Cup match is solid, but allowing for some much needed rest.

De Gea

Dalot-McGuire-Lindelof-Malacia

McTominay-Sabitzar

Fernandes-Antony-Garnacho

Weghorst
Dre_00
The irony is West Ham fans would probably say the exact same thing. They don't need anymore games while in a relegation battle. Though it seems like they are about to get more games.
Mathguy64
AG
Can we give up an OG at 90+3 and just skip the whole second match?
Showstopper
AG
Pass to Maguire
Mathguy64
AG
Or I guess we could score at 90+2. That works.
Showstopper
AG
Easy win, never any doubt lol.
AG
Weghorst is what he is but I thought he played one of his best matches since he's been at United. His finishing still sucks but he held up play well and helped setup chances in the middle. But his play gives me dreams of what this ETH squad could look like with a legit top end striker.
Dre_00
I believe that's what they call a "gutsy, gritty" win. And a little lucky too. Didn't play particularly well at all but still found a way.

Sidenote: I super love Casemiro. Like. A lot.
Aston94
AG
Get Fulham at home in the quarterfinals.

Only 4 of 8 remaining clubs are EPL clubs (United, Fulham, citeh, and Brighton).
AG
Dre_00 said:

Sidenote: I super love Casemiro. Like. A lot.
Him and Licha are my soccer man crushes right now. Casemiro is such a great dichotomy to me. You see his passion after goals or post-match, but during the match itself, he is so calm and seemingly under control. he is the straw that stirs the drink right now.

and Licha is my favorite defender since Vidic. the dude just exudes emotion and passion on the pitch. almost always in the right place, and plays a little dirty, which i love and something this squad needs. he's a little Keano-ish.
Dre_00
I'm a massive Martinez fan as well. How can you not love a center back whose nickname is "The Butcher"? Very similar player to Vidic. He and Varane do a very good Rio/Vidic impersonation.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.