Manchester United 2022-23 Thread

90,357 Views | 2000 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Dre_00
Mathguy64
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
0-0 HT.

It was a lackluster first 15 or so minutes but then things opened up a bit. Both teams seem hell bent on making a mess out of playing out from the back and both should have given up a goal from it. Barca seems unhappy at the Referee for actually calling fouls against them.
Dre_00
Weghorst should have scored. Ter Stegen made a really good save on Rashford. We're getting chances but honestly defensively look shaky. Midfield really looks suspect without Eriksen. His absence till May is going to cost us something I'm just hoping it's not a high price.
Dre_00
Fred losing his man on a corner, no one on the post, and De Gea kinda flailing about combine to make it 1-0 Barca.
Dre_00
I LOVE YOU MARCUS RASHFORD
Mathguy64
AG
Look who. Mr. Nuclear Explosion Marcus Rashford. He is so hot he could power a small nation.
Mathguy64
AG
Rashford just made Raphinia his ***** and gets an assist on an OG.
LouisHerbertWong
AG
LOL at Rashford claiming that one.
Dre_00
Rashford blatantly fouled on a breakaway but ref didn't have the balls to call it because it would have had to be red.
Mathguy64
AG
It wasnt a penalty as it was outside the area (hence no VAR) but he missed it because he was so far out of position and behind the play. Then he calls arguably an even weaker one the other way. And of course cards Casemiro because someone has to get carded for all the dissent.
Dre_00
His AR was right there and should have helped him.
Mathguy64
AG
Thats what ETH was so mad about. He partly swallowed his whistle because as you said if he calls it its red for DOGSO and he partly was so out of position he couldnt call it. It was a bad miss.
Mathguy64
AG
Rashford is exhausted. Totally exhausted.
Dre_00
That was a much more open, entertaining game than I anticipated. Can't complain about a draw at Nou Camp but would feel a lot better about things if away goals still counted.
Mathguy64
AG
The last 45 was totally different that the first. That could have been 4-2 for either team. Take the tie and come home.
HummingbirdSaltalamacchia
AG
If you would have asked me yesterday, I would have been happy with the draw. As it stands afterwards, I'm annoyed we didn't come away with the win. Defense looked shaky at the end and Casemiro had some uncharacteristic giveaways, one that cost a goal, but they looked dangerous AF in the attacking third.
Aston94
AG
HummingbirdSaltalamacchia said:

If you would have asked me yesterday, I would have been happy with the draw. As it stands afterwards, I'm annoyed we didn't come away with the win. Defense looked shaky at the end and Casemiro had some uncharacteristic giveaways, one that cost a goal, but they looked dangerous AF in the attacking third.

Yeah, Barcelona is good, especially at home.
Furlock Bones
AG
Showstopper
AG
Glazers: "What if we took the money in line items 2-4 and consolidated that into line item 1?"
AGC
AG
Aston94 said:

HummingbirdSaltalamacchia said:

Yeah, Barcelona is good, especially at home.

No pedri, no gavi? Will dembele even be back by then? Despite the draw I'd be happy about how that's setting up.
Furlock Bones
AG
I've been told by a reliable source that while this Qatar group is related to the PSG Qatar group that they are just cousins. Don't even talk. Live on the other side of the palace completely.
Faustus
Sounds like a Chinese Wall type of situation.

Have to use this phrase while I still can, because it's falling out of favor.
Furlock Bones
AG
Those numbers are why I don't think Ineos can really compete.
Dre_00
Is this an Elsa/Anna situation? Which one has magic powers?
Showstopper
AG
The one handling transfer fee negotiations for Mbappe.
Furlock Bones
AG

jeffk
AG
Aston94
AG
$10 Billion debt free....must be nice.

Well if you are going to have Middle Eastern ownership group, my vote would always be Qatari or Jordanian, they are definitely the most progressive, western cultures of the region (excluding Israel).
Dre_00
Unless the league blocks it, he'll get it if he's serious. Not pleased at all about that.

His bid looks to have support from fans ig polls are to be believed. About 50/50 as to whether fans like the idea of a Qatari owner but even fans that don't want one say they'll support the club if it happens.

And that's why this keeps happening time and time again.
Aston94
AG
Fans like winning. End of discussion.
wangus12
AG
Yep. We all put up fronts until it's our club in which case spend that cash and win silverware
Showstopper
AG
Well, honestly, I'm still not real crazy about it, personally, but I don't think the Glazers are going to solicit my opinion before the sale. In the race between cash and altruism, I think we've gotten a pretty good sample size on which side of that particular divide they fall through past conduct.
Dre_00
Showstopper said:

In the race between cash and altruism, I think we've gotten a pretty good sample size on which side of that particular divide they fall through past conduct.

"they" can equally refer to the Glazers, the fans...humanity in general.

I do think society as a whole does apply a morality minimum when it comes to things like owning a football club. If Adolf Hitler III popped up with a 10 billion EUR bid funded by the sale of the Jewish artifacts that his grandfather had stolen and bequeathed to him, there would be moral outrage and it wouldn't be successful.

But it appears that for the most part, people don't really care what brown people do to other brown people on the other side of the world. At least not as it relates to whether they can own their favorite football club.
Dre_00
Ratcliffe's announcement. Unsurprisingly, he leans into the concept of "football governance". Interestingly, he's bidding for "majority ownership". 2 of the 6 Glazers don't want to sell. I wonder if he's offering to buy out the other 4 to take majority ownership but retain some Glazers on the board.

Aston94
AG
I was with you until you brought race into the equation. Chelsea fans were more than happy to have a White Russian oligarch as their owner, making his billions off the public property of the Russian population.

Europeans have been told for 40 years to be inclusive and accepting of those from the Middle East, so if anything there was cultural pressure not to oppose or comment on their purchase of the big clubs initially.

Racism did not lead to the current state. A system that allowed a few to capitalize on the resources of a country did.
Mathguy64
AG
Somehow I don't think anyone or any group is going to come close to the $10B already on the table and if they did, the Qatari royals would just casually grab another $1B out of the couch cushions and toss it on the pile.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.