Manchester United 2022-23 Thread

90,351 Views | 2000 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Dre_00
Thunder18
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
De Gea under no pressure whatsoever with a terrible punch out instead of just grabbing the ball
Showstopper
AG
Wow that was a scary flurry. I'll be real honest, I'd be pretty thrilled with a point if we can get it.
Dre_00
It's like he thought he would get called for handling a back pass? Weird.
Showstopper
AG
Frick. Think we all saw that coming.
Furlock Bones
AG
This should be reviewed.
Thunder18
AG
How are we letting Nketiah just poach goals
Furlock Bones
AG
Not to pick a fight. But this has been a piss poor showing on defense.
Showstopper
AG
Crap. Looked off to me, but play with fire, get burned.
Thunder18
AG
Can't say it's undeserved,we invited pressure the whole ****ing game
Dre_00
Fine but you know...playing your historical rival away who is currently top of the table isn't going to be a tea party.

Perhaps I'm more reacting against my expectation. It was always going to be an exceedingly difficult game and you usually see poor performances against teams that are really good. Feels weird to ding them for that.
Furlock Bones
AG
Peter Drury yelling at us in support of arsenal has been quite annoying as well.
Furlock Bones
AG
Ghost of Andrew Eaton
Great game no matter who won. You guys are good and will only get better. Well done.
If you say you hate the state of politics in this nation and you don't get involved in it, you obviously don't hate the state of politics in this nation.
Dre_00
Well, that should put an end to any title run talk. Good news is that the schedule is relatively kind up to the 1st leg against Barca in mid Feb. Big home and away against Forest in the League Cup semis starts Wednesday. Will be disappointed if we don't come away with the trophy. Would be a tangible thing to point to that proves ETH's progress.
Dre_00
Also, I'd add right winger to the list of needs in the offseason unless Sancho can be reclaimed. But even he doesn't seem to fit ETH's preference for a right winger as he's right footed. We need another option besides Antony because when he's in poor form, like he's been in since the WC, we have no other option other than Elanga who, again, doesn't seem to fit ETH's profile.

Forward is the obvious priority but right winger, right back, central midfield...all could do with some sprucing up.
Dre_00
On the ownership front, QSI are reported to be interested in Man United. They can not fully purchase the club unless the divest in PSG which is very unlikely to happen. So if they are involved in anyway, it appears it would have to be as minority owners (I believe minority ownership would not conflict with the UEFA rule that two clubs in a UEFA competition can not be owned by the same person/entity).

Jim Ratcliffe has already announced his intent to submit an offer. He too owns clubs outside of the UK but my guess is that it would be easier/more desirable for him to divest in Nice. He too could opt for a minority stake but I believe he has said in the past he would only be interested in full ownership.

There's also rumors that a Saudi consortium, not involving Newcastle's owners, will make a bid but the two other possibilities above seem more firm.
Thunder18
AG
Hoping it's Ratcliffe and not a ME oil consortium
deadbq03
AG
Yeah and as you mentioned, his stake in Nice is only a problem if both clubs are in the same UEFA competition at the same time. So given Nice's standing right now it doesn't appear that it will be an immediate problem.

I'll just say even as a non-fan I'm thrilled with the process… when there were Twitter rumblings this summer that the Glazers might sell this year, I decided to invest in MANU. Given the rest of the market right now I figured it couldn't do any worse, so why not? I'm out now after juicy gains when they officially announced that they're going to sell. This is the first and probably only time in my life I've been able to tell my wife that my obsession with soccer made us money. Good times.
Furlock Bones
AG
Unless Ratcliffe is leading a big consortium like Boehly, I don't think he's got the money.
Thunder18
AG
Yea, that was my concern. The valuation is going to be insane
Dre_00
You definitely did quite well for yourself then
Dre_00
Agreed. Selling price for United will likely be about 40% of Rattcliffe's standalone net worth. Boehly's net worth is a fraction of Ratticliffe's but he's leading the consortium and is the majority owner. It would definitely be something like that with Ratcliffe and United.
Dre_00
Big game tonight. My guess is we'll see the strongest lineup possible. Probably same lineup as Arsenal with exception of Casemiro for McTominay. Would love a multi-goal win so that we could perhaps rotate with a bit more confidence in the FA Cup and return leg but I'm thinking this is going to be a close one. Forest are better than they were previously in the season and we've struggled to turn chances into goals.
Dre_00
Is Shaw injured? Or did he pick up a League Cup suspension? Didn't even make the bench. Malacia starts in his place and Lindelof starts for Varane. I suppose with Varane's injury history, they wanted to manage his minutes.
Aston94
AG
Was wondering the same thing on Shaw.
Dre_00
Aston94
AG
Rashford!!!! What a drive! Man he is in great form.
Dre_00
Marcus Rashford...the man is unstoppable right now.
Mathguy64
AG
How stupid is Gareth Southgate? His best two wingers were Foden and Rashford and he mostly left them off his card.
Aston94
AG
Mathguy64 said:

How stupid is Gareth Southgate? His best two wingers were Foden and Rashford and he mostly left them off his card.
Well, Saka is really, really good too. But I would never leave Fodon or Rashford on the bench for Sterling.
Furlock Bones
AG
Forest score. But ruled offside. United better stop being lazy.
Dre_00
VAR to the rescue. He was a smidge off but the more worrying thing was how easy that counter was. United has a tendency to do these pull backs to the top of box and they are becoming predictable. Forest easily intercepted it and they were off.
Dre_00
WOUT gets on the scoresheet!

A little harsh on Forest to be down 2-0 at HT but I won't complain.
Aston94
AG
Weghorst!

That is where I think he is going to be a big add for this team. Between Fernandes, Eriksen, Rashford and Antony, the team creates a ton of chances. Needed someone in there to pick up the garbage and convert.
Dre_00
Antony is in a slump and he looks visibly affected by it. He attempted half of United's shots in the 1st half. 2 on goal forcing decent saves, 1 just outside the post and 1 to Row Z. Feels like he's pressing. The better option on his Row Z shot was a cutback to a wide open Bruno inside the box. His shot ultimately led to WOUT's goal but he barely reacted to it.

We need him to start scoring because right now, there is way too much of a scoring burden on Rashford and Bruno. Rashford will eventually lose some of this form and Weghorst is never going to be a prolific scorer. Need more scorers.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.