Manchester United 2022-23 Thread

90,517 Views | 2000 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Dre_00
HummingbirdSaltalamacchia
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Looks like Liverpool are going to highjack Gakpo. ***** Can we still blame Woodward?!
----------------------------------------------------------
America's destiny is not of our own choosing. We did not seek nor did we provoke an assault on our freedom and our way of life. We did not expect nor did we invite a confrontation with evil. Yet the true measure of a people's strength is how they rise to master that moment when it does arrive.
AG
Official. ****

America's destiny is not of our own choosing. We did not seek nor did we provoke an assault on our freedom and our way of life. We did not expect nor did we invite a confrontation with evil. Yet the true measure of a people's strength is how they rise to master that moment when it does arrive.
TXAggie2011
AG
Surprising. Feels like he wanted Liverpool and once they were involved, it was going to happen
Dre_00
Gakpo is good and that price is more than reasonable but this isn't terribly upsetting to me. Gakpo is a left winger who can play as a 9 if needed. We already have 2 players (Rashford and Martial) who fit that exact profile. Feel like adding him just causes a selection headache without solving our need which is a true number 9. He either becomes a player who takes time away from Rashford (or forces him to play out of position) and Sancho (who might be on his way out but that's another topic altogether) or he's a Martial like 9…playing there mostly because he's the best option on the roster rather than it being his best position.
Showstopper
AG
I completely agree. Gakpo even though his name has been swirling in the rumor mill for months has never made sense to me, since he seems more like the answer to the question of "who replaces Jadon Sancho?" than "who replaces Ronaldo?" which is obviously the bigger hole (I may be in denial, but I think the answer to the first question could still be Sancho). You have to credit Liverpool because they had a huge hole that they just filled with what should actually be an upgrade. The problem of course is that strikers don't grow on trees, but given that the Glazers want to sell, the fact that their biggest rivals who also want to sell just filled one of their biggest holes may motivate finding a real solution to the most glaring hole at United. That said… center striker is a more expensive hole, generally speaking, than wing, so we will see I guess.
Thunder18
AG
For me, I just want to wake up one day to see that United were able to do a deal like Liverpool just did. Quietly and without fuss. It's so frustrating that we seem to be unable to get anything done in a timely manner without also turning into a media circus
Mathguy64
AG
Well this should be interesting. We are playing with 1 CB and 3 wing backs. Plus the clever pair of Antony and Martial.

DDG; Shaw, Malacia, Varane, Wan Bussaka; Casemiro, Eriksen; Bruno, Rashford, Antony; Martial
Thunder18
AG
Mathguy64 said:

Well this should be interesting. We are playing with 1 CB and 3 wing backs. Plus the clever pair of Antony and Martial.

DDG; Shaw, Malacia, Varane, Wan Bussaka; Casemiro, Eriksen; Bruno, Rashford, Antony; Martial

Guessing Shaw is deputizing as our LCB today?
AG
Thunder18 said:

Mathguy64 said:

Guessing Shaw is deputizing as our LCB today?

Yup. It's almost like they are going to really be playing a back three of Varane/Shaw/AWB. Is Maguire still sick? Something has to be up with him to still not get on the field. Guy can play for England but not United apparently
Thunder18
AG
Rashford continuing his scorching run of form with a goal and assist in the first 25 minutes. Love to see it
Thunder18
AG
Well NF thought they got one back, but a freak offside touch saves us
Mathguy64
AG
I hate VAR for this. He's accidentally scored and he wasn't trying to take advantage of being offside.
Mathguy64
AG
Maguire is healthy enough to play in mop up duty. This is bizarre. I mean he played 5 games for England in the WC and actually played well. I thought he was the MOTM for them against the USMNT. Yet here we have to start Shaw at CB over him.
Thunder18
AG
3-0 win. Both teams probably could've scored a few more today, but a good result overall
Thunder18
AG
Shaw had a nice game covering at CB for Martinez today
Aston94
AG
Mathguy64 said:

I hate VAR for this. He's accidentally scored and he wasn't trying to take advantage of being offside.

He literally scored from an offside position. The ball would not have gone in if not for his deflection. Goals like this are the reason for VAR.
Mathguy64
AG
Aston94 said:

Mathguy64 said:

He literally scored from an offside position. The ball would not have gone in if not for his deflection. Goals like this are the reason for VAR.

I get it. But it took 90 seconds to decide it touched him and it was a trifling touch. He wasn't trying to touch it. He just happened to be there when the actual touch went past him. If you didn't have 4K TV you would never have seen it.

IMHO it wasn't why VAR was invented. It was made to catch the Maradona or Thierry goals. The clear and obvious error. The toenail off type stuff I hate. This stuff here I hate it. I get it but I hate it.
Showstopper
AG
I hate it less than the goals that are called off because image analysis can tell that someone's knee is like an inch or two ahead of someone else's foot. I mean, goodness, things have really jumped the shark on VAR. At least on this one, you can tell that he touched the ball, and it at least visually looked like he was off.
Dre_00
And on top of that, the ball was not going to be on target if it doesn't deflect off him.
Showstopper
AG
Marcus Rashford says "F yo' discipline."
gougler08
AG
That de Gea save from earlier on the free kick was something else
Mathguy64
AG
It didn't count but Rashford is white hot.
Showstopper
AG
Yeah that was amazing. The Sa save on Garnacho in the first half was pretty tough as well.
Mathguy64
AG
What a reaction save by DeGea.
Showstopper
AG
OK De Gea earned his pay this half
Dre_00
Didn't play particularly well but thought we deserved the win. Did it without 3 of our starting defenders too.
planoaggie123
AG
Missed most of the game. Didn't check before bed.

Glad to see Rashford continue his run of play.

Also, good seeing VDB get on the field. I keep wanting to see more from him and we may be seeing why he didn't play much in the past but still hope they keep giving him time on the pitch and maybe that will eventually get him a little quicker and more precise.
Mathguy64
AG
On a 2 pt/match average now. And that's after the absolutely abysmal starting 2 matches.
Thunder18
AG
Would be great to have Leeds steal some points from Newcastle today. Also would be great if that freaking Norwegian cyborg would stop scoring goals for citeh
Mathguy64
AG
It would be great if that Norwegian cyborg were actually punished for his fouls. He committed another RC foul today and got away with it. He ran 30 yards at full speed to slide a player from behind. Studs up. Just wiped a dude out who had no idea it was coming.
Thunder18
AG
Mathguy64 said:

It would be great if that Norwegian cyborg were actually punished for his fouls. He committed another RC foul today and got away with it. He ran 30 yards at full speed to slide a player from behind. Studs up. Just wiped a dude out who had no idea it was coming.

Yea, the leeway he has been given is ridiculous.
Aston94
AG
United Win away
Newcastle and citeh draw at home. Good day for Man United.
Mathguy64
AG
Another good result. Spurs spit the bit at home. 2 back of Saud United but a game in hand.
Dre_00
Famous last words but I think Spurs will continue to fall behind. They've squeezed out some results that they didn't deserve but now they're not. Liverpool is the bigger threat now of the teams that are behind us…even if their midfield is shocking.
Aston94
AG
Dre_00 said:

Famous last words but I think Spurs will continue to fall behind. They've squeezed out some results that they didn't deserve but now they're not. Liverpool is the bigger threat now of the teams that are behind us…even if their midfield is shocking.

Liverpool will come on strong. Need to get ahead of Newcastle to make sure if a top 4 spot.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.