Manchester United 2022-23 Thread

90,355 Views | 2000 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Dre_00
deadbq03
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
BJM1781 said:

Send Ronaldo to Inter Miami. He can try and add a Concacaf Champion's League trophy or something.

Bottom line is they should have just parted ways with him over the summer. He was great last year but looks like a shell of his former self under the new boss.
Pardon the intrusion as an outsider, but I think ETH has little do with it. It's common for players to have sudden drops in form as they age and I think that's what has happened here. Tactics and motivation may play a part, but the fact that no teams wanted him this summer speaks volumes. In hindsight, it probably would've been better to do a full-court press and offload him by agreeing to cover the wage difference rather than pay full wages and keep him around as a cancer.
Dre_00
jeffk said:

He had to poop and prefers his home toilet. Which I totally get.

Not an excuse unless he was running down to first...but I don't think he plays baseball.
jeffk
AG
Maybe he got a call that he's to be the next British PM?
Dre_00
It gets even worse. Ronaldo refused to come on as a late sub before he walked off the pitch. Thankfully, United have removed him from the squad for Chelsea and he won't be training with the first team for the rest of the week.

Cancel his contract tonight. Get him the **** out of here.
Aston94
AG
Unbelievable. I hope ETH is given the power to not ever dress him again.

The sad part is this team needs him, they need him in the role Edison Cavani played a couple years ago, the 75th minute guy when you need a goal and occasional starter.

Sell him for whatever you can get in January and bring in a back-up 9.
Dre_00
The rumor (and I emphasize rumor as I've literally only seen it on somewhat questionable twitter accounts) is that the board has approved getting a forward in January if Ronaldo leaves. The A level forwards they've been rumored to be interested in (Osimhen) won't be available in January but the WC might mean that more talent than usual is available this January.
Dre_00
Same starting 11 except Eriksen comes in for Fred. I don't expect a performance as good as Wednesday but let's hope is closer to that than it is to complete crap.
Thunder18
AG
Sancho has been frustrating
Dre_00
That has to be in the top 3 of ETH's to do list. Get him playing well consistently.
Dre_00
Really should be up at halftime. Controlled most of the 1st half but Chelsea definitely came back in the game when they went 4 at the back after the Kovacic sub. That extra man really changed things towards Chelsea in the last 10 minutes. Still...another really good performance thus far.
Thunder18
AG
Antony should've scored there. It's unreal how many pro players can't effectively use their weak feet
Thunder18
AG
Sancho off. He was absolutely terrible today. Killed a ton of attacks
Dre_00
ETH gave them less than 5 minutes to sort out the midfield problem before subbing Fred on for Sancho. Don't know if it will lead to a result but so nice to have a manager that can make in-game tactical changes.
Dre_00
Varane subbed off with what appears to be a significant hamstring injury. Pulled his jersey over his face as he walked off and you have to think his World Cup is at risk.
Dre_00
Thunder18 said:

Sancho off. He was absolutely terrible today. Killed a ton of attacks

The irony is that there's a good chance Ronaldo would have started today if he hadn't been a complete ass on Wednesday. And if he hadn't started he almost certainly would have come on for Sancho instead of Fred.
Thunder18
AG
Stupid ass penalty to give by McT
Dre_00
No idea what United players are complaining about other than maybe thinking they have to complain out of some sense of protocol. Just stupid from McTominay.
Thunder18
AG
The irony is that Broja was full arm extended pushing Scott away right before the ball was kicked
Dre_00
CASEMIROT@!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Furlock Bones
AG
What a goal!!!!!!
Thunder18
AG
By a **** hair
Dre_00
Phew that goal took it out of me. I haven't fist pumped like that in a long time. My non-scientific take of the game.

We deserved at least a draw. I thought we were the better team but hard to say we were robbed off 3 points or anything.

We were the better team (easily) for the first 30-35 minutes until Potter subbed on Kovacic and went to a back 4. Then Chelsea were better for the remainder of the 1st half and first 5 minutes of the 2nd until Fred came on. Then it kind of became an ugly stalemate until McTominay went WWE and Casemiro became savior. Not as good a performance as Wednesday but would have been really hard to replicate that type of performance here. Pretty encouraging signs continue to emerge.
Dre_00
Just realized that 6 out of our 11 games have been against the other top 6 teams vying for a CL spot.

Arsenal (H): W
City (A): L
Spurs (H): W
Chelsea (A): D
Newcastle (H): D
Liverpool (H): W

4 of the 6 results qualify as good or acceptable in my opinion. Ironically, the worst result when compared to expectations was Newcastle. Next 6 EPL games are against teams currently in 9th, 13th, 14th, 17th, 18th, and 19th. Need to bank a ton of points in that stretch.
Dre_00
Varane out 3-4 weeks which is better than expected. Would miss 1st game for France if he's selected.
Aston94
AG
Dre_00 said:

Varane out 3-4 weeks which is better than expected. Would miss 1st game for France if he's selected.
Hope he gets back for the World Cup! Would be terrible to miss due to an injury incurred now.
Dre_00
Sheriff's coach just resigned. Man really didn't want to fly to the UK I guess.
Dre_00
Thought this was quite a good piece on the impact of Casemiro and adjustments ETH has made during the season to compensate for the poor start and not having a Frenkie de Jong type player.

https://thebusbybabe.sbnation.com/2022/10/26/23420452/tactical-analysis-casemiro-gives-erik-ten-hag-tactical-flexibility
jeffk
AG

"As usual" is a really loud two words in that quote.
Dre_00
I'm not sure what would be more funny...announcing he's back in the squad but starting him on the bench or announcing he's back in the squad and starting him against Sheriff Tiraspol.
Mathguy64
AG
Dre_00 said:

I'm not sure what would be more funny...announcing he's back in the squad but starting him on the bench or announcing he's back in the squad and starting him against Sheriff Tiraspol.
Making him start against Sheriff and then pulling him at HT when he's done nothing.
Dre_00
Mathguy64 said:

Dre_00 said:

Making him start against Sheriff and then pulling him at HT when he's done nothing.
Yes, you are correct. THAT would be funnier.
Dre_00
Garnacho with the start tonight. Didn't expect that but like to see it. Good performance from him could get him in the role currently held by Elanga.
Dre_00
Garnacho has arguably been our best attacking player. The only one making runs and taking on defenders.
Dre_00
1-0. Dalot off a corner. Will need to rely heavily on set pieces because we are struggling mightily with Sheriff's very low block.
Dre_00
Rashford makes it 2 after coming on as a 2nd half sub. Assisted by another 2nd half sub, Shaw. Nice headed finish unlike SOME other forwards tonight.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.