Manchester United 2022-23 Thread

90,510 Views | 2000 Replies | Last: 1 yr ago by Dre_00
Dre_00
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Because he got the ball and he think that still matters even though it hasn't matter since well before he was born.
Mathguy64
AG
Oh I know. "But ref I got all ball!" Or better yet "Ref I got ball first!" is one of soccer's great misconceptions by players, coaches and fans alike.
Dre_00
There is just so much opportunity for United to kill this game but a combination of suspect finishing, decisions, and passing is killing us. And Everton are getting just enough possession in our final 3rd to worry me.
Mathguy64
AG
Marcus with a very nice piece of solo work.
Mathguy64
AG
Of course that exact same incidental/accidental handling by a goal scorer was ignored earlier today in WHU v Fulham.

This was the correct call but English referees can't get out of their own way.
Mathguy64
AG
Ok. We aren't Man City. Not by a long shot. But we are better than last year. It's a crowded top 6 but we are good enough to be in that mix.
Dre_00
Yep. Thought the exact same thing. It shouldn't be that hard. These guys sit in a room with a bunch of TV screens and no cameras filming them. Just pull out the rule book and have a glance. No one will know and we'll avoid all this nonsense.
Dre_00
Amazingly, we're already about 1/4 of the way through the season and it appears that we might be able to sneak into 4th if we can keep improving and not go through a bad run of games. I fully expect a complete turd of a game now and then. Just can't string together 3 turd games in a row.

Potter will make Chelsea better. Conte is Conte and while Spurs don't exactly impress me they'll be around. Kind of hard not to imagine Liverpool turning it around but my goodness they look extremely inconsistent at best. I don't think they've strung together 2 good games yet. Don't sleep on Newcastle especially as I'm sure they'll be throwing tons of money in January at whoever has a good World Cup. Just got to beat 3 of those 4 and I think it's at least conceivable. Which I didn't expect to say back in August.
Mathguy64
AG
It may say Arsenal is top of the table but City is far and away the class of the league. I just don't see anyone hanging with them as long as Haaland and KDB are not both out together for an extended period of time.

After that I see 6 teams all fighting for 2-7 and who ends where depends on health and some luck. Liverpool is teetering on falling out and they got two more injuries today in TAA and Diaz.

Eddie Howe is a really good manager but Newcastle may be another winter and summer window of spending the Saud's money before they are really entrenched. At some point they will be the only team team financially able to compete with City.
jeffk
AG
I think it'll take a miracle for Liverpool to challenge for a top four spot this season. We bad bad.
Dre_00
Agree about City. Arsenal isn't at the level of Liverpool a few years ago when they challenged City right to the end of the season but they still seem to be a level above Chelsea, Tottenham, United, etc. Yes, we beat Arsenal but they have been incredibly consistent thus far.
Dre_00
Looks like Eriksen gets a rest tonight (finally) in favor of a Fred/Casemiro midfield. They've played together for Brazil so curious to see how they do. Pretty strong lineup considering there's a not so easy game on Sunday against Newcastle.
Dre_00
6 of our starters' native language is Portuguese. That has to be a first.
Dre_00
The good news is we're all over them. We've forced 2-3 really good saves. Casemiro has hit the crossbar and both Bruno and Ronaldo have just missed wide.

The bad news is that since this is essentially our 1st team playing at home against the Cypriot League's 6th best team, you shouldn't get a lot of credit for dominating them. That and it's still 0-0.
Dre_00
HT...still 0-0. Gifted Omonia a 2-1 but fortunately they didn't make the extra pass or else it was an easy tap-in to an open net for 1-0. Played well but this game has bad juju on it right now.
Dre_00
OK, this Omnosia goalie just made 2 double saves in 3 minutes. The first of which was absurd. The juju continues to worsen.
Dre_00
21 shots. 9 on target. 0 goals.
Thunder18
AG
Opposing keepers always show out against us
Thunder18
AG
Red?
Thunder18
AG
2 pretty close calls go against us back to back
Dre_00
He went in 2 footed and both feet left the ground. Not sure how it's not.
Dre_00
29 shots. 10 on goal. 0 goals.

Somehow Omonia do have a shot on goal. I have no recollection of it but apparently it happened.
Dre_00
Well we likely weren't going to win the group anyway but now that it's all but confirmed, the silver lining is this might give us an opportunity to rest some players in game 6 for league play. We'll likely only need a draw next week to clinch 2nd.
planoaggie123
AG
goal.

mctominay
Dre_00
Hahahahahaha...freaking football. All that attacking talent misfiring for 90 minutes and then McTominay scores in added time.
Thunder18
AG
McTominay to the rescue.
Dre_00
Final tally. 34 shots. 13 on target. 1 goal.
Dre_00
Dre_00 said:

Well we likely weren't going to win the group anyway but now that it's all but confirmed, the silver lining is this might give us an opportunity to rest some players in game 6 for league play. We'll likely only need a draw next week to clinch 2nd.

We still clinch 2nd with a draw next week. If we want to win the group, we need to beat Sheriff and then go and beat Sociedad in Sevilla while scoring at least 2 goals.

I'm highly skeptical of that happening but you never know I guess.
Dre_00
Isak is out for the game this weekend. I am profoundly OK with this.
KCup17
AG
Sleep with one eye open tonight you Red Devils. Tomorrow Eddie Howe and the Toon Army will come looking for trouble
ElCheAg
AG
Yes. We are.
Thunder18
AG
Saved by the post twice
Dre_00
Missed the first 25 minutes or so. I'm saddened to see Eriksen is out. Casifred? Fredimiro? To the rescue...I hope.
Dre_00
I just saw the replay. Literally had the entire goal to shoot at from 6 yards out on the follow-up. Unbelievable miss.
Mathguy64
AG
Bruno on Bruno violence. Fernandez got fouled with a heavy tactical challenge and does what he does. Retaliates 2 minutes later with an intentional foot stomp. How he doesn't miss more games for accumulation is mind boggling.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.