Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

2023 Transfer Portal Tracker

238,448 Views | 944 Replies | Last: 5 mo ago by KCup17
KCup17
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
Thats including Stowers, Burris and Moten? Also doesn't even factor in the players leaving for the NFL...
Emilio Fantastico
AG
4 said:

Captain Awesome said:

At what point to we admit the mass exodus? Or are we supposed to pretend the locker room is all good?

Well Jimbo assured us that when Ainias told us there were a lot of guys not buying in, that it didn't really mean not buying in.

He was also adamant just a couple of weeks ago that there weren't a bunch of transfers coming up. The guys were locked in and wanted to stay together and play.

So none of this is really happening.

Well, to assess the real impact, there are two questions to ask:
1. How many from this year's 2-deep have left?
2. How many from next year's projected 2-deep have left?

That's where you really feel it.
Greencougars
What 1 didn't make sense 3 have arrest records and the school was not going to allow then back 1 has been here 2 years and has never even been thought of as being able to play QB. And another QB that can't spot throwing INTs. U could go on and on
KCup17
AG
You are deflecting... Your argument is that because these transfers don't make an impact now then we cant consider this a mass exodus. I'm arguing that we have lost 17 scholarship players to the portal and that should be considered a mass exodus.
jdaggie2112
4 said:

Captain Awesome said:

At what point to we admit the mass exodus? Or are we supposed to pretend the locker room is all good?

Well Jimbo assured us that when Ainias told us there were a lot of guys not buying in, that it didn't really mean not buying in.

He was also adamant just a couple of weeks ago that there weren't a bunch of transfers coming up. The guys were locked in and wanted to stay together and play.

So none of this is really happening.
the core of the team so far does seem to be sticking together. You might find 2 so far that even had a possibility of being on the 2 deep next year.

You might want to check out what is happening all over the country in the portal. Everyone is losing depth. Many are losing impact players (i'd define that as on the 2 deep). So far we have not had much of any impact on the 2 deep.
A-A Ron
KCup17 said:

So 19 players and counting leave a program and you aren't willing to call it a mass exodus. Got it.
You are probably going to see 15-20 players from just about every power 5 school enter the portal, considered a mass exodus for everyone? or just Us? Got it. Bama has had actual starters on this season enter, no one is immune.
P.U.T.U
AG
So far none of the guys leaving are shocking, they didn't get playing time and likely were not going to moving forward. Some depth would have been nice to keep but I can't blame those who are transferring.
jdaggie2112
KCup17 said:

You are deflecting... Your argument is that because these transfers don't make an impact now then we cant consider this a mass exodus. I'm arguing that we have lost 17 scholarship players to the portal and that should be considered a mass exodus.
so what. Who cares what you call it. You should know damn well that when everyone said 'mass exodus', they thought we'd lose a bunch of starters, impact players and most of last years class. Split hairs on the definition if you want.
Greencougars
Most if not all of those guys will be replaced by the same caliber or better. So no I would consider it if more of the guys that played a major part in playing where leaving. Again we are not the only team with this. Like out of the 19. 7 have extremely unique things pushing it and without that we would be in middle of the pack with transfers leaving
AgBQ-00
AG
mAsS eXoDuS!!!!!!

This is the first year of the portal windows...
We have no idea about what types of numbers are normal and as stated before all programs are getting hit. Many are losing starters.

At this point all we can do is watch and learn. No need to get yourself so worked up you got to break out the lithium pills.
AG
You got pills? How much you want bro?
dannyv
AG
Why does anybody care what term other people would use to describe any given number of players leaving via the portal?
AgBQ-00
AG
simply because it is the phrase used to try and set the narrative against A&M, when it is not used against other schools
KCup17
AG
Or simply call a spade a spade. If we want to raid the portal like so many want to then we kind of needed a exodus of players. Especially ones that could contribute to a 5-7 team.
Bill Superman
AG
4 said:

You're starting to sound like our transfer portal guys…
dannyv
AG
AgBQ-00 said:

simply because it is the phrase used to try and set the narrative against A&M, when it is not used against other schools
Ok that's a more reasonable answer than I was expecting.
AG
Bill Superman said:

4 said:

You're starting to sound like our transfer portal guys…
Aggieair
The Banned said:

Captain Awesome said:

I think the calm comes from the reality that the majority of these guys weren't contributors. There are a couple I think everyone would like to stay (adeleye for example). The. Others that are big talents but big time idiots (Denver Harris). Overall, no one leaving made a serious contribution this year.

That said, we have a major issue with retaining people long enough to become upperclassmen. Jimbo has to rethink his approach.
As you hinted, this is still hypocritical for the pumpers that tried to blame everything on youth and injuries.

You can't act like those two things were the primes issues this year and then stick your head in the sand when we have 15 players transfer out and say, "Don't care! Not contributors! We're stacked and don't need depth!"
Aggieair
AgBQ-00 said:

mAsS eXoDuS!!!!!!

We have no idea about what types of numbers are normal and as stated before all programs are getting hit. Many are losing starters.

At this point all we can do is watch and learn. No need to get yourself so worked up you got to break out the lithium pills.
This is twice the amount of players we have had transfer out compared to each of the last 2 years, so you can't act like this is normal either.
dannyv
AG
Aggieair said:

The Banned said:

Captain Awesome said:

I think the calm comes from the reality that the majority of these guys weren't contributors. There are a couple I think everyone would like to stay (adeleye for example). The. Others that are big talents but big time idiots (Denver Harris). Overall, no one leaving made a serious contribution this year.

That said, we have a major issue with retaining people long enough to become upperclassmen. Jimbo has to rethink his approach.
As you hinted, this is still hypocritical for the pumpers that tried to blame everything on youth and injuries.

You can't act like those two things were the primes issues this year and then stick your head in the sand when we have 15 players transfer out and say, "Don't care! Not contributors! We're stacked and don't need depth!"
I'm pretty sure the hope is that we will be very active in the portal this year. If not, then yes, this is a hit to our depth that we absolutely can't recover from. This is what offseasons will look like going forward.
The Banned
Aggieair said:

The Banned said:

Captain Awesome said:

Agreed. The coaches that will thrive in this will spend more time coaching players in the value of waiting their turn than time recruiting the portal guys. The new shiny object grabbed in the portal will have to learn a brand new system on limited time. And you have to hope those guys have the buy in as the guys originally recruited there.

The one position I give a pass is QB. At the end of the day, only one guy gets to play that position and you have a limited time to shine. All other positions: if you aren't good enough to get on the field where you're at, work harder. Once you're in here 3 or 4 and getting passed up by underclassmen, then a transfer makes sense. It's highly unlikely to do you any good though. Or in the event you've outgrown the league you're playing in. It's not every day but there are definitely guys at small schools ready for a promotion.
Aggieair
Kirky said:

Updated Jaylon to NFL draft. I added Bond as well, my starting point for this was the Class Breakdown from TexAgs, which I assume only lists scholarship players.

edit: also added medical/no eligibility
I appreciate the work.

Yeah, I'm not sure why the TexAgs one was messed up. Choate has been on scholarship for the past 2 seasons, so I'm not sure why he wasn't on there. Also strange that they didn't have our #1 kicker.
AgBQ-00
AG
Not claiming it is normal, outlier or anywhere in between. Just saying that under this format we have scarce data. We also don't have any idea what the incoming numbers are going to look like. Basically just in wait and see mode.
KCup17
AG
Bingo.
Aggieair
KCup17 said:

I'm surprised he has eligibility left. He's been around since forever. I'm pretty sure he was a freshman when we played UCLA at the Rose bowl.
You are correct. He was class of 2017. Even omitting 2017 and 2020 for a RS and COVID, he still would have used eligibility in 2018, 2019, 2021, and 2022.
Greencougars
Having the majority of your starters be freshman and sophomores hasn't been normal either
Aggieair
Greencougars said:

Having the majority of your starters be freshman and sophomores hasn't been normal either
This goes back to the endless discussion this season on it being the HC's job to manage the roster and develop talent. There's been a trend of guys who have been in the system for multiple years getting beat out by more junior players.
TAM85
Who the players are, such as those that were significant contributors this season, is more important than the number.
Greencougars
Correct but I also think that was a freak class of guys. If they didn't come to CSTAT I bet all if not more would have started at other schools too. It just so happened that some many chose 1 school. It was historical class for a reason.
Greencougars
So many
jsmc71
AG
Donell Harris in also per 247.

ETA: also Dallas Walker IV. Don't think he's been mentioned in this thread yet.
AG
He was the very first one to announce about 2 weeks ago
jsmc71
AG
4 said:

He was the very first one to announce about 2 weeks ago
My bad. Was thinking Ish was first one.
Agsttt
Aggieair said:

AgBQ-00 said:

mAsS eXoDuS!!!!!!

This is twice the amount of players we have had transfer out compared to each of the last 2 years, so you can't act like this is normal either.
Who cares if it's "normal" or not. It's estimates over 2,000 kids will hit the portal this year. 2. If you weren't good enough to play a single snap throughout a dismal 5-7 (as is the case with the overwhelming majority who transferred), how good are most of those guys anyway? 3.) Saving a Red Shirt is becoming a thing of the past. 4.) If they STILL didn't see any playing time in light of # 3 not being a factor, then refer to the last portion of item #2 above.
Agsttt
Aggieair said:

AgBQ-00 said:

mAsS eXoDuS!!!!!!

Who cares if it's "normal" or not. It's estimated over 2,000 kids will hit the portal this year. 2. If you weren't good enough to play a single snap throughout a dismal 5-7 season (as is the case with the overwhelming majority who transferred), how good are most of those guys who are leaving anyway? 3.) Saving a Red Shirt is becoming a thing of the past. 4.) If they STILL didn't see any playing time in light of # 3 not being a factor, then refer to the last portion of item #2 above.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.