Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

2023 Transfer Portal Tracker

239,353 Views | 944 Replies | Last: 7 mo ago by KCup17
Aggieair
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Yeah just saw he tweeted that.

Looks like 27 scholly players out, 2 in, unless there have been any guys that decided to step out of the portal since OP was last updated
AG
HoopsAg said:

Aggieair said:

I don't think the OP has been updated for a while.

Also curious as to anymore news on Tyrin Smith regarding him going back to UTEP.
Per Travis Brown (Twitter), "Jimbo Fisher said he believes UTEP WR Transfer Tyrin Smith is going back to UTEP."

Good Lord. Something is rotten in Denmark.
AG
vander54 said:

W said:

so as of January 23rd...

the program is sitting with 26 out and 2 in

We were never going to be close to replacing our transfers with transfers. We may end up with around 10

This is aging well. Gotta stop listening to the guys that get paid to tell you what you want to hear.
Bunk Moreland
levypantsEOY said:

Need to add Wykoff.
Unreal.

unreal? He was being passed up by Nabou and possibly Remmington already this spring.
Halconblack
AG
Added.

Hoping to add some inbound names. Now tracking around 10 open scholarship spots.
v/r
Blinnaggie2002
This thread needs to be retired. It's too depressing to see.
Ghost of Bisbee
AG
So how bad is it actually

Was there a mass exodus of impact players? Or no?
Ags77
AG
Big OT from Okie Light is in portal.

6'8. 310 lbs.
ME85
AG
NoahAg said:

vander54 said:

HoustonAg2106 said:

warrington said:

vander54 said:

OldArmyAggie94 said:

This is a great thread…

Do we really only have THREE threaders in? Why so few?

Because we don't have a lot of open starting spots. Most of what we need is depth.

Granted I would like to see a couple more right now
This is the correct answer. Transfers are wanting to come in and be a starter. Our first line i believe is set, we need the second line up to build. transfers don't want to come off the bench, even though they are still just as important

What a total cop out and lame attempt to defend Jimbo's lack of portal activity. Do you think all 14 of the players transferring to Ole Miss or 11 to LSU are going to be starters? Or do you think they will compete for starting positions like everyone else. Sure a few of them are filling open starter roles, but definitely not all of them. Some are going there to be backups and maybe start in the future

Ok. 19 of our 22 starters are returning. Something like 35 of our 44 2 deep are returning. Ole Miss lost several starters to NFL/Portal, they were a heavy SR contributing team. We lost 3 starters to the NFL and 0 to the portal. Only 2 positions were hit hard by transfers DB/LB. We have signed 2 DB but no LB. But when you look at LB both starters are returning and we have a total of 6. Only thing we need here is an upgrade to one starter/experienced backup.

We were the youngest team in the SEC last year and almost all of those contributors are back. It's a tough sell to bring in a super talented transfer. We have signed 3 at big needs and we are still after a couple more. Is our current situation ideal when it comes to the portal? No but we aren't in horrible shape like a lot want to think.
Exactly. I don't know why so many here look at Ole Miss and Kiffin as some bar to reach for. He's going to live and die by the portal each year. And he still only went 8-5, which is about normal for him. Meanwhile, we have some pretty stacked young talent coming back for the foreseeable seasons.

why? so many here are puss boys and live to be so.
Aggieair
Halconblack said:

Added.

Hoping to add some inbound names. Now tracking around 10 open scholarship spots.

Jerry Johnson III from Rice can get added at FB. The front page article on him says he's the third scholly player to transfer in, and omits Tyrin Smith's name, so I believe the ship has sailed on him.

By my count based on the roster in the OP, we have 52 scholarship players returning, plus 19 HS recruits, plus 3 transfers in. That puts us at 74 scholarship players with 11 more spots to give out. 14 days left before the spring portal closes.
AG
Ags77 said:

Big OT from Okie Light is in portal.

6'8. 310 lbs.

I doubt Jimbo is interested. It's a position of need and he's not a walk on.
Aggieair
DeBerry in, Taylor out as well.
Leander - Ag
AG
Ghost of Bisbee said:

Only Lucas, smoke, and Harris ended up at decent programs (and Harris had no offer to stay). This tells me what we lost……
amercer
AG
Yep 3 five stars and 17 four stars transferring out. Nothing to see here.
fav13andac1)c
AG
Bobby Taylor transferring out sucks big time. He was a huge catalyst in our #1 class, and him leaving is the squeakiest wheel of them all.
AG
Leander - Ag said:

Ghost of Bisbee said:

Only Lucas, smoke, and Harris ended up at decent programs (and Harris had no offer to stay). This tells me what we lost……

Chris Marshall is at Ole Miss
Leander - Ag
AG
4 said:

Leander - Ag said:

Ghost of Bisbee said:

Chris Marshall is at Ole Miss

Ole miss is not LSU, USC, Georgia
P.U.T.U
AG
All those teams have had our number for the past few years
Halconblack
AG
I count any player that we lost to a Power 5 school as a loss. Would they have started? Not necessarily. Should they contribute in a meaningful way? I would think so. Transferring to a Power 5 school meant another multi-million dollar university was willing to bet that they had more upside than a younger player.

By that reasoning I think we are really at a net loss of nine at this point. We lost 13 to other power 5 schools. We picked up what I believe to be are four scholarship players. I don't know the exact numbers.

I am hopeful that this points to a change in the program from the locker room issues we had last year. Either way, we will be going into the season at some sort of disadvantage to other Power Five teams if we don't add around 10 scholarship players.

That being said, NFL teams make it through a longer season with 53 active and 16 practice squad players.
So, it shouldn't be used as some huge excuse.
v/r
Halconblack
AG
updated.
v/r
Emilio Fantastico
AG
The whole unlimited no consequence transfer policy is going to sort itself out after a few years.

It seems there are three main categories of players that are hitting the portal.
1. 5 and 4 star recruits that don't start or get as much playing time as soon as they want.
2. Lower rated guys that have proven themselves at smaller schools looking to show their talents against better competition.
3. Lower rated guys at bigger programs looking for playing time by moving down to a lesser program.

We have suffered a lot of the 1 category and are struggling to add those kind back in because we have a strong (at least at most positions), mostly young starting lineup and 2-deep.

The thing is, for the 4 and 5 star guys, this is a big game of musical chairs where there are a lot more guys than chairs available and one day the music is going to stop.

Consider this, let's say there are only about 20 programs 'worthy' of 4 and 5 star players. With 22 starting positions, that's only 440 spots for typically more than 1000 players. Even if you double the number of 'worthy' teams, you still end up with over 100 guys without their desired home.

The end result is that as time goes by, the worthy teams will get more 4 and 5 star guys staying as backups or waiting more than one season or transferring in without starting spots guaranteed because otherwise they might get left out in a less desirable situation.

Our best strategy is to maintain our 'worthy' status going forward and it should sort itself out. Last year certainly didn't help with that though.
Halconblack
AG
v/r
Aggieair
Bobby Taylor's back in, but Josh Bankhead is medically retiring. Not sure who is able to update that on the roster link in the OP.
Halconblack
AG
Updated for Bobby Taylor staying.
v/r
Aggie1205
AG
Looks like Alan Guerrieiri found a home at Louisiana Lafayette.
Halconblack
AG
Updated with lots of small movements.

A question to all. Does the 2023/2024 start with Fall Camp? Or does it start with the beginning of the season?
v/r
antman8504
AG
Thanks for this thread
AG
Halconblack said:

beerad12man
AG
amercer said:

Yep 3 five stars and 17 four stars transferring out. Nothing to see here.
Some of you were very ignorant to what happened this off-season.

• For starters, we had 78 eligible payers to return to the 2023 team due to the covid rule. That means, at minimum, you needed to start with losing a minimum of 18 players to attrition just to take a full 25. Considering most teams are taking 30-32 these days, you could say from the beginning, we needed it to be about 23-25 that needed to leave. If you were paying attention, you'd have started your base number somewhere between 20 and 25. We lost 3 to the draft, so reduce it to 17-22 at the minimum.
  • We couldn't fill a transfer for a transfer. That was never going to happen. Again we'd be well over the 85 if that were the case. The number we were going to get was always going to be AT MOST 12-14. We ended up with 11. In an ideal world, we would have landed another OT and another LB. But that's about it.
  • We are at 80 ships total. That's about average. In 13 seasons, Jimbo has never had a full 85 and always put a few walk ons on scholarship. Nick Saban, Kirby Smart, the same way. Rarely are they at exactly 85 before walk ons earn some.
  • The difference in what we wanted to lose versus what we actually lost is pretty much just the 4 suspended players, in which we had no control over. 3 were kicked out of the university. That was it. Yet, people turned that into a mass exodus and the program being on fire. Again, the number was always going to be 18+, and that situation was about the only thing I wish would have gone different. Those 4 to not be knuckleheads. No one is saying "nothing to see here". But it was always greatly overexaggerated. Clearly the 4 suspended players were the notable item to see. Outside of that? The rest was completely predictable.
You guys probably should have listened to Vander the whole time.
Halconblack
AG
Did I miss something? It looks like all of the transfers actually made the roster.
v/r
KCup17
AG
Ironically Chris Marshall and Smoke Bouie aren't currently on a roster anywhere.
Halconblack
AG
Now that the transfer season is really over, here is what we really lost:

Immediate Impact: 6 (4 because 2 not eligible)
12/1/22 Tunmise Adeleye Edge Mich St '21 4-Star 2/23 3 GP 6 TKL
12/2/22 Denver Harris CB LSU '22 5-Star 7/29 5 GP 14 TKL
12/6/22 Andre White LB GaTech '19 4-Star 12/27 40 GP 139 TFL 10.5 TFL 5.5 SK 1 Int
12/13/22 Yulkieth Brown WR Tulane '21 4-Star 14/23 11 GP 6 rec 112 yds 1 TD
12/14/22 Smoke Bouie CB Georgia '22 4-Star 7 GP 4 TKL
1/4/22 Anthony Lucas DL USC '22 5-Star 5/29 7 GP 10 TKL 1 TFL

Depth: 7
11/27/22 LJ Johnson RB SMU '21 4-Star 3/23 10 GP, 115 yds, 2 TD
12/2/22 Haynes King QB GaTech '20 4-Star 8/26 10 GP 56.6% Comp 1579 yds 10 TD 10 INT
12/5/22 Marcus Burris DL Indiana '21 4-Star 6/23 8 GP 1 TKL
11/26/22 Elijah Jeudy Edge Nebraska '21 4-Star 9/23 4 GP, 1 TKL
12/5/22 Myles Jones CB Duke '17 3-Star 14/28 49 GP 124 TKL 6 TFL 4 Int
12/6/22 Tarian Lee LB Georgia Southern '19 3-Star 21/27 23 GP 17 TKL
4/12/23 Matthew Wykoff IOL Cal '21 3-Star

Developmental: 4 (2 because 2 not eligible)
12/2/22 PJ Williams OL SMU '22 4-Star 20/29 7.7 ounces
12/7/22 Chris Marshall WR Ole Miss '22 5-Star 6/29 6 GP, 11 rec 108 yds
12/16/22 Marquis Groves-Killebrew CB Lou '22 4-Star 2 GP 2 TKL
11/27/22 Ish Harris LB UofH '22 4-Star 26/29

So in all I argue that we lost 13 players. You could go further and say that the ones categorized as "Depth" left for better opportunities. So really, six players that you wanted to be contributors and are now gone.

What we took in

Immediate Impact 2
Tony Grimes CB UNC '20 5-Star Aggies
Josh DeBerry DB Boston College '19 3-Star Aggies

Depth 3
Jurriente Davis LB '19 No Star Aggies
Jordan Anthony WR UK '22 4-Star Aggies
Jhadae Walker WR GVS '21 No Star Aggie

Developmental 2
Jaylen Henderson '21 Fresno State 3-Star Aggies
Sam McCall CB FSU '22 4-Star Aggies

So, from an overall roster management perspective I think the coaching staff gets a solid B.
DB's: Replaced outgoing with incoming
WRs: Hedging that one of the two incoming can make up for what that outgoing provided. If not find it internally.
DL: Internal talent and recruits more than enough.
QB: Tough to get people to come with a FR. We cannot have two injuries at QB though or this year will be a disaster.

It would have been nice to have added a little more. But, overall, not bad.

v/r
AG
Halconblack said:

Did I miss something? It looks like all of the transfers actually made the roster.

Uh.... Huh?
beerad12man
AG

Not a bad assessment. I agree with most. I might consider Jurriente Davis as potential immediate impact. He is going to give Russel a run for his money for the starting position.

Heard good things overall on most of the transfers. Both the WRs especially Walker so far, McCall is very athletic but maybe needs another year before he can be a starter. Henderson to me is very developmental, but I think we just want to carry 4 QBs per year now instead of 3 after what happened recently. I'd be shocked if he ever started here, but rarely are teams up against the 85, so I have no issues with adding a 4th QB even if he's behind the others right now.

I will say, I can't think of a single team that would be fine with QB3. If that ever happens, you may as well just be hoping/praying for an 8-4 year. That would be scrambling to make the best out of nothing.
KCup17
AG
Ttt… well because you know why.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.