Texas A&M Football
Sponsored by

2023 Transfer Portal Tracker

239,360 Views | 944 Replies | Last: 7 mo ago by KCup17
eATMup-Reveille
How long do you want to ignore this user?
Aggieair said:

AgBQ-00 said:

mAsS eXoDuS!!!!!!

This is the first year of the portal windows...
We have no idea about what types of numbers are normal and as stated before all programs are getting hit. Many are losing starters.

At this point all we can do is watch and learn. No need to get yourself so worked up you got to break out the lithium pills.
This is twice the amount of players we have had transfer out compared to each of the last 2 years, so you can't act like this is normal either.
So did those last 2 years have the type of quality freshman that had played this year? The answer would be obviously no. Does that influence some of those decisions to transfer? I don't know, but I don't see how it could not be a factor.
DallasAg 94
KCup17 said:

So 19 players and counting leave a program and you aren't willing to call it a mass exodus. Got it.
Once you consider injuries and players who are non-contributors... teams would often have to continue to carry those players.

In todays' FA, if you get passed over, you can move on for another opportunity.

Take Moten for example.
A&M CB Josh Moten cited for multiple incidents over weekend, has entered transfer portal

Quote:

Brazos County records indicate that Texas A&M cornerback Josh Moten was arrested for the third time in his A&M career on December 4. Joshuah Nasir Moten was cited by the College Station Police Department for driving while intoxicated, striking a fixture on the highway, and reckless driving. He posted bond of $2,000 and was released the same day. Moten was also cited on June 19 of this year for possession under two ounces ($3,000 surety bond) and in February of 2021 for and tampering/fabricating physical evidence ($10,000 surety bond between the two incidents).

Moten played in two games this season, recording a tackle in the win over Miami. He missed the 2021 season after suffering a knee injury in the spring game

I have no issues with him leaving.
AG
Honestly, the only one so far that is a bit confusing is Adeleye. And the only one that I'd love if he would change his mind.

Apparently a good kid. Hard worker that was actually a starter before getting hurt.

But you never know. Could be a reason that's personal and has very little to do with playing time. There are a few of those here and there.
Agsttt
DallasAg 94 said:

KCup17 said:

So 19 players and counting leave a program and you aren't willing to call it a mass exodus. Got it.
Once you consider injuries and players who are non-contributors... teams would often have to continue to carry those players.

In todays' FA, if you get passed over, you can move on for another opportunity.

Take Moten for example.
A&M CB Josh Moten cited for multiple incidents over weekend, has entered transfer portal

Quote:

Brazos County records indicate that Texas A&M cornerback Josh Moten was arrested for the third time in his A&M career on December 4. Joshuah Nasir Moten was cited by the College Station Police Department for driving while intoxicated, striking a fixture on the highway, and reckless driving. He posted bond of $2,000 and was released the same day. Moten was also cited on June 19 of this year for possession under two ounces ($3,000 surety bond) and in February of 2021 for and tampering/fabricating physical evidence ($10,000 surety bond between the two incidents).

Moten played in two games this season, recording a tackle in the win over Miami. He missed the 2021 season after suffering a knee injury in the spring game

I have no issues with him leaving.
Denver Harris' spirit animal.
Halconblack
AG
We have highly recruited kids that are not playing a lot of Football. I have added the cumulative statistics to the first page to illustrate this. Unfortunately, if you don't think you are going to be in the two-deep at one of these elite recruiting schools, I think you probably SHOULD transfer if you BELIEVE you can play in the NFL.

The system is set up to enable player movement that will facilitate talented players finding the field. I think if we review the stats 10 years from the start of the transfer portal you will see two key trends:

1) All conference players from the Group of 5 moving to the Power 5.
2) Blue-Chip players not in the two deep on Power 5 rosters churning at greater than 50%.

v/r
txaggieacct85
AG
Nebraska offers Texas A&M transfer DE (usatoday.com)
ElephantRider
AG
We're losing a lot of players, but no one that it really hurts to lose. Denver Harris and PJ Williams we're talented but needed to go. Adeleye is our biggest loss, but he can't stay healthy.
AG
PJ was 40lbs of muscle from realistically seeing the field in any steady capacity, anyway.

Can't play tackle in the SEC at 280lbs, if he was even that big.

He was 250 when he signed with us.
AG
Need to add Moten and Myles Jones to your list
ElephantRider
AG
4 said:

PJ was 40lbs of muscle from realistically seeing the field in any steady capacity, anyway.

Can't play tackle in the SEC at 280lbs, if he was even that big.

He was 250 when he signed with us.

I never said he was ready to play now, just that he had potential
KCup17
AG
For the record I have no issue with the system. It's really interesting to see it all play out. And I agree if you aren't seeing the field and for whatever reason you don't foresee yourself getting onto the field then go find a school where you can.

I was trying to make the point earlier that this amount player movement out of our program is something that we have never seen before. While most of these guys weren't contributors to this years team it remains to be seen who or what quality/ability we bring in to the program. We could go from pretender to contender this off season or we could be another 6-6 team struggling to find an identity.
AG
I know. I was just saying that he's a long way from ever playing much regardless of talent, so he's no real loss at all.
Halconblack
AG
Thank you
v/r
Halconblack
AG
I think you have some good points. However, if we look at it on a player by player perspective, I still don't know if any of these guys are contributors in 2023.

If you look at the current transfers, I think you can put them in four groups :
Group 1) behavioral problems that can "say" they transferred, but really weren't going to be allowed back on the team
Denver Harris
PJ Williams
Josh Moten

Group 2) players that are so far down it is unlikely they would contribute.
Elijah Judy
Ish Harris
Donell Harris
Chase lane
Marcus Burris
Caden Davis
Darrell Walker
Blake Smith
Brian, George
Eli Stowers

Group 3) players that had a solid chance of being important contributors. As of right now I really only see four in that group. Those four we're still going to have to make giant strides to pass up people ahead on the roster or see in injury to someone ahead of them.
Haynes king
Tunmise Adeleye
LJ Johnson
Tarian Lee

Group 4) players that I believe would start if they stayed at A&M and were healthy.
Miles Jones
v/r
Ghost of Bisbee
AG
God damn.

Myles Jones leaving hurts. He was a baller and developed so much while at A&M
-Ben There/R.C.
AgSportsFan89
AG
I am gobsmacked that he has any eligibility left.
SLaggieDad
Halconblack said:

I think you have some good points. However, if we look at it on a player by player perspective, I still don't know if any of these guys are contributors in 2023.

If you look at the current transfers, I think you can put them in four groups :
Group one is the behavioral problems that can "say" they transferred, but really weren't going to be allowed back on the team
Denver Harris
PJ Williams
Josh Moten

Group 2 are the players that are so far down it is unlikely they would contribute.
Elijah Judy
Ish Harris
Donell Harris
Chase lane
Marcus Burris
Caden Davis
Darrell Walker
Blake Smith
Brian, George
Eli Stowers

Group 3 are the players that had a solid chance of being important contributors. As of right now I really only see four in that group. Those four we're still going to have to make giant strides to pass up people ahead on the roster or see in injury to someone ahead of them.
Haynes king
Tunmise Adeleye
LJ Johnson

Group for our players that I believe would start if they stayed at A&M and were healthy.
Miles Jones

Are Marshall & Lucas in Group 1? Bouie should be in your last Group (4). Actually, Marshall could start so maybe 1&4?
85AustinAg
AG
I don't think Marshall is in the Portal. I think he may be trying to work himself back in good standing with the team.
Halconblack
AG
Neither of them have announced for the portal at this point. There is conjecture around Nick Williams that smoke might, however I don't think A&M is simply going to let Nick Williams," Lincoln Riley" them on any players
v/r
Sterling82
Moten and Jones are significant losses. Jones for sure. Moten is a talent but not sure how well he came back from injury. College football may as well reduce their rosters to about 35...if they don't start their out the door anyway.
levypantsEOY
The posters on here trying to sunshine pump their way out of this mass exodus disaster are hilarious. What is that, like 20 players now leaving early? Their argument seems to revolve around either 1. "well they weren't starting/ good anyway" or 2. "don't worry Jimbo will upgrade" or my favorite 3. "uh just wait other schools will have the same thing any day now…"
BTW These are the same posters who puffed their chest about the number one recruiting class ever this past summer. If you're gonna crow big about a success, be ready to eat it when it ends up flopping.
Oh and just to briefly rebut these arguments one by one:
1. A lot of the portal guys haven't played a lot because they are young? Losing young players still in development does not bode well for future results. Losing guys to the draft, graduation, injury, etc. is one thing, losing guys this early is another. Combined with what has so far been a pretty mediocre '23 class and this is looking more and more precarious.
2. Jimbo will upgrade using the very same portal? Seeing is believing. He hasn't proven to be a very strong coach in this regard to date. Lots of competition from other schools and it's almost definitely wishful thinking to believe the talent will be upgraded in this regard for so many holes.
3. Show me another program with half the portal transfers of what has already happened here (and more coming).

That's it. You guys carry on and continue ripping these kids making their announcements to leave- everything is fine. Nothing is wrong. Just business.
KCup17
AG
Those are pretty good groups. The question will be will we replace group 3 guys with group 4 guys or 3 with 2 and so on? Hoping that the players out are less value that players coming in which would mean good turnover. But to know that we will need to wait and see how Jimbo and Co navigate all the players in the portal.

I don't think all this turnover is a bad thing per se. If we can go out and get solid recruits or solid portal guys then it will essentially be just clearing room for these new guys. Now if we were losing '22 guys in droves I would be concerned.
Ghost of Bisbee
AG
You live a sorry life, man.

Nothing here is surprising except Tunmise and Myles entering the portal.
-Ben There/R.C.
Denton82TAMU86
AG
He's a pot-stirring t-sip. Relishing the fact the Ags finally had a worse season than his worthless bunch in Austin.
He and his ignorant daughter, tshirt hag, should stay over on Old Rivalries where they belong and can be ignored.
Aggieair
eATMup-Reveille said:

Aggieair said:

AgBQ-00 said:

mAsS eXoDuS!!!!!!

This is the first year of the portal windows...
We have no idea about what types of numbers are normal and as stated before all programs are getting hit. Many are losing starters.

At this point all we can do is watch and learn. No need to get yourself so worked up you got to break out the lithium pills.
This is twice the amount of players we have had transfer out compared to each of the last 2 years, so you can't act like this is normal either.
So did those last 2 years have the type of quality freshman that had played this year? The answer would be obviously no. Does that influence some of those decisions to transfer? I don't know, but I don't see how it could not be a factor.

Except in the past 2 years, we haven't had a recruiting class this small in December. It's about being able to fill out the roster at this point and build depth. Putting all your eggs into the 2022 class basket just means the team will be absolutely horrendous after their junior year in 2024 without other action.

There's 62 scholarship players that haven't graduated/medically retired/transferred/declared yet.

Two of those 62 are still indefinitely suspended from the team (Marshall and Lucas).

Achane, Smith, and Robinson's status is still TBD as they were projected draft picks.

If those 5 depart, that brings us down to 57 scholarship players.

We're almost 2 weeks away from the first signing day, and only have 11 commits in the 2023 class (ranked #24) after having multiple decommits this year.

That would put us at 68. So we'd still need 17 more transfers or recruits to fill the roster.

Jimbo has only taken about 3 to 4 players total from the portal across the past two to three years, which is a cause for lack of optimism.
AggieRob93
AG
levypantsEOY said:

Blah blah blah, Ags are awful. The only school which should have a football program are my polesmoking donghorns out of asstin.

3. Show me another program with half the portal transfers of what has already happened here (and more coming).

That's it. You guys carry on and continue ripping these kids making their announcements to leave- everything is fine. Nothing is wrong. Just business.

According to espn, Oregon, Alabama, Arkansas to name a few. There are others, but those are the biggest name football programs so far, and you can do your own looking if you can manage to get off of this website for a few minutes.
TokinAg
AG
You should probably write the A&M athletics department a sternly worded letter.. The football program is about to collapse and our coaching staff is definitely not aware of any of this.
90ags
That H Fawcett dude says A&M had 10 new names added to portal today alone. Think we are leading the arms race out of bodies.

What are rules if a player doesn't land somewhere? Can they come back to the team coaching staff allows it?

How does a team manage back to 85? Outside of adding transfers in, does that mean programs can sign more HS players?
______________________________________________________ Play for the name on the front of your jersey, not the back...
Emilio Fantastico
AG
College football is now nothing but a giant game of musical chairs. Unfortunately, there will be a lot of guys without a seat when the music stops.
HoustonAg2106
AG
90ags said:

That H Fawcett dude says A&M had 10 new names added to portal today alone. Think we are leading the arms race out of bodies.

What are rules if a player doesn't land somewhere? Can they come back to the team coaching staff allows it?

How does a team manage back to 85? Outside of adding transfers in, does that mean programs can sign more HS players?

Players can stay after entering the portal as long as there is still a spot for them. I believe the rules are you can add as many transfers and/or high schools players as it takes to get your roster to 85
txaggieacct85
AG
Who is in the transfer portal of significance,

Chill
TxAg76
AG
Ghost of Bisbee said:

God damn.

1. I doubt God really gives a shiit about any of this
2. We don't develop players here. Don't you even TexAgs, bro?
Halconblack
AG
The tweet you are referring to says "officially enter." We are tracking 19 currently, so there are at least nine that did not officially enter.
v/r
Emilio Fantastico
AG
Ghost of Bisbee said:

God damn.

This has to be sarcasm.

Myles Jones hasn't been healthy enough to play for the last two years

He did develop and played very well in 2020 but we haven't gotten diddly squat from him for two years.
VatoLocoAggie
AG
Meh. No one that has left would've ever been a starting contributor. These guys didn't want to compete and knew they weren't as talented as the real Ags that are staying.

The transfer portal is the new Junction Camp for us. The weak and unwilling will quit A&M. The strong will remain and survive.

The alpha bucks in rut will stay on the ranch to mate with the does. The beta bucks will jump the fence to neighbors property to eat flowers.
Gig Em and God Bless America
Texas A&M National Champions in Football 1917, 1919, 1927, 1939, and 2012

SEC Proud!

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.