Houston
Sponsored by

bad weather coming tomorrow

366,045 Views | 2494 Replies | Last: 8 yr ago by RC_57
tk for tu juan
How long do you want to ignore this user?
That's the joke
FHKChE07
AG
I found that the flood pool will still be contained to government own land as long as the level stays below 103.20 feet and a capacity of 130,203 acre-ft. So they still have some time before it starts flooding neighborhoods... 1 foot.
InnerCityAg
quote:
Wife just texted from the house in Kingwood saying it's pitch black there and raining sideways.

I'll be done soon.
aTm2004
AG
quote:
quote:
Wife just texted from the house in Kingwood saying it's pitch black there and raining sideways.

I'll be done soon.

Hope so, because I'll be home soon and just sighted in my rifle. I can circumcise a gnat at 800 yards now.
AlaskanAg99
AG
The dams are expected to crest tonight. But that doesn't mean instant catastrophic failure. Depending on where the dams crest and what sort of subsiding and shifting has happened means one or both could fail. They're owned by the Army Corps of Engineers and they have placed a designated class 1 rating which means "we needed to fix this **** yesterday". So that's not good. And with all that water and pressure a constant force, any imperfections will saturate and slowly weaken it.

At any rate this is a massive stress test for a dam that needs repair.
jenn96
AG
Damn. That's scary.
plowboy1065
S
quote:
Dam. That's scary.
FIFY
Buck O Five
AG
With the election this year, that could become the poster child for "America's crumbling infrastructure."
Bondag
AG
quote:
The dams are expected to crest tonight. But that doesn't mean instant catastrophic failure. Depending on where the dams crest and what sort of subsiding and shifting has happened means one or both could fail. They're owned by the Army Corps of Engineers and they have placed a designated class 1 rating which means "we needed to fix this **** yesterday". So that's not good. And with all that water and pressure a constant force, any imperfections will saturate and slowly weaken it.

My understanding is that if the dams fail it is not necessarily the Katy and Cy Fair people that will be hit, but more so the bayous downstream will begin to rise again and flood I-10 and Beltway on its path to the gulf. The dam runs parallel to Park Row East and West and parallel to Brittmore North and South so any failure of Ad****s would impact the businesses along I-10 more so than residences that have already been hit.
I Play With Guns
S
quote:
quote:
Dam. That's scary.
FIFY
what you did, I see it!
The Wonderer
AG
quote:
quote:
quote:
Dam. That's scary.
FIFY
what you did, I see it!
But did you feel it?
El Mero Guero
quote:

tk for tu juan
The reservoir will crest tonight, but it is not close to flowing around or over the dam. We would need a lot more rain for that to happen.

The dam rating has more to do with the damage impact downstream if it were to fail than it does with the integrity of the dam.
Jack Klompus
AG
Vernada
AG
quote:
With the election this year, that could become the poster child for "America's crumbling infrastructure."
Only if Texas was a swing state.
The Collective
AG
http://www.foxnews.com/us/2016/04/21/officials-keep-wary-eye-on-high-risk-dams-during-texas-floods.html

quote:
Two aging dams deemed "extremely high risk" by the U.S. Army Corps of Engineers are at record pooling levels in Houston's west side after this week's torrential rainfall, but are working well and have undergone improvements in recent years, authorities said Wednesday.

The dams at 50 percent capacity are classified as high risk only because they're about two decades beyond their life expectancy and in a populated area, said Corps spokeswoman Sandra Arnold.

However, a Corps report issued on the dams in 2012 offered more worrying criteria for the classification, noting that such structures are "critically near failure or at extremely high risk under normal operations."

quote:
In the unlikely event that the dams collapse, downtown and the highly populated area in sprawling west Houston would likely see deaths as well as $60 billion in property damage, said Richard Long, a project operations managers with the Corps.

But the current conditions are no reason to panic, he added. Improvements done the last few years have shored up the 70-year-old structures and an ongoing $72 million construction project will greatly strengthen them.

"The dams are in good condition," he said. "We have 24-hour surveillance occurring."

quote:
Long said it will take a long time to drain the reservoirs behind the Ad****s and Barker dams in controlled releases. There is about two months' worth of water to get rid of. Each dam held about 100,000 acre feet of water on Wednesday.

The dams were constructed in the mid-1940s to collect excessive amounts of rainfall. The water is released downstream at a controlled rate, preventing flooding in downtown Houston and other urban areas to the east.

A weather service statement says the water level in the Ad****s Reservoir was measured Wednesday night at 101.4 feet. It's expected to crest at 103.2 feet, far surpassing the previous record for the reservoir of 97.46 feet set in March 1992. The water in Barker Reservoir was 93.8 feet and expected to crest at 97.7 feet, exceeding the March 1992 record of 93.6 feet.

quote:
The Corps of Engineers' recent improvements on the dams include additional filters to control seepage, additional lighting and emergency power "to have around the clock ability to operate the dams and to ensure their inspections and function when we get pools like we're having right now," Long said.

"From this one flood event ... the operations of (the dams) ... have prevented over $3 billion in damage downstream of these projects," he said.

Despite reassurances by the Corps on the integrity of the dams, there still remains a worry the structures might fail, said Jim Blackburn, a Houston environmental attorney who in 2011 filed a lawsuit on behalf of the Sierra Club related to reducing runoff into the two reservoirs.

"If we lose Ad****s and Barker, that will be absolutely catastrophic," he said. "And we should be doing as a community everything we can to protect them. They are the best flood control investments we have in this community."

http://www.foxnews.com/us/2016/04/21/officials-keep-wary-eye-on-high-risk-dams-during-texas-floods.html
Ag_07
AG
TLDR

So to make it interesting I'm just assuming we're all gonna die.
AlaskanAg99
AG
If they fail, everything east of them is ****ed. If they don't fail, the water pooling behind them will flood area neighborhoods. They can't release much water because water levels already so high more water would cause flooding east. So pray for no rain.
Ferris Wheel Allstar
AG
quote:
TLDR

So to make it interesting I'm just assuming we're all gonna die.

tk for tu juan
When the water surface elevation gets to 108 ft, start panicking. Just need another 3.5 billion cubic feet of water to get there (27 billion gallons).
http://waterdata.usgs.gov/tx/nwis/uv/?site_no=08073000
FHKChE07
AG
Well, on Monday they got 250 billion gallons...
Ryan the Temp
AG
quote:
When the water surface elevation gets to 108 ft, start panicking. Just need another 3.5 billion cubic feet of water to get there (27 billion gallons).
http://waterdata.usgs.gov/tx/nwis/uv/?site_no=08073000
That's almost exactly 10 inches of rain across 100 square miles.
chiken
AG
cgh1999
AG
Was on hole #3 when wife called to say that there was a leak in our roof (cypress). I proceeded to grab a beer and see how good her home management skills are.

Hopefully that leak isn't near the couch I'll be sleeping on.
Aggie1205
AG
So if they fail, is Spring Branch basically screwed?
Ryan the Temp
AG
Make that 7.24" of rain across the entire Ad****s Reservoir watershed, but that assumes 100% of the water ends up in the reservoir.
FHKChE07
AG
And Memorial and River Oaks and Downtown and a lot of the ship channel, probably parts of montrose and a lot more of houston.
Ryan the Temp
AG
quote:
So if they fail, is Spring Branch basically screwed?
El Mero Guero
This guy knew what he was doing

Milwaukees Best Light
AG
What happened to the rooster on the top?
Bondag
AG
RTT beat me. The buffalo bayou watershed would no longer look like this

but more like this

Bondag
AG
Required reading for this board
El Mero Guero
quote:
What happened to the rooster on the top?
He somehow got the cock off I guess
Bondag
AG
62strat
AG
quote:
quote:
Only if Texas was a swing state.
It will be before long.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.