Metroplex
Sponsored by

The Bevens murder in Midlothian

124,372 Views | 462 Replies | Last: 2 mo ago by Matsui
DannyDuberstein
How long do you want to ignore this user?
AG
1/3 of murders in this country go unsolved (and by unsolved, I mean without arrest - not just conviction). For the most part, as long as people manage to avoid something identifiable being seen when committing it and then keep their mouth shut, they stand a pretty good chance at getting away with it. Someone close to the victim has a tougher time since they'll get scrutinized automatically, but if you aren't in that pool and you managed to not be seen in some way, your odds are pretty decent. so i'd flip the tv comment and say you've watched too much CSI.
MsDoubleD81
AG
What I think is kinda odd, since this happened, I've noticed quite a few people with the same gait and same build.
91AggieLawyer
AG
quote:
1/3 of murders in this country go unsolved (and by unsolved, I mean without arrest - not just conviction).

Its actually closer to a quarter, with some areas (states and/or locales) going as high as 50-60%. But those are mostly quite different. Very few of those get anywhere near the news coverage this murder has gotten, and in virtually all of those cases, there is very little evidence beyond the body and whatever it gives up.

Go to the Fort Worth Police department's cold case website and see what scenarios I'm speaking of:

-- people killed by someone when they answered their front door
-- bodies dumped and found days, weeks, or months later with no evidence of how they got to that spot
-- a lot of what appears to be drug killings (I'm looking into one cold case double murder right now that is likely just that -- do a search on the outdoor board for more details)

I've read as many resources on cold case murders that I've had time to read in the last 2 years; I've spoken with a half dozen cops, detectives, and even a retired homicide detective. I'm no expert -- not even close to being one. But I have asked this question: what happened to the people that likely carried out the murders I'm looking into? The answer is almost always they are either dead or in prison for something else, i.e. it wasn't a one time deal. Given that this particular cold case I'm interested in was in 1983, I guess there's a chance if they were in prison, they could be now be out. What I got from those discussion is that IN GENERAL, people don't plan and carry out murders like Bevers was planned and carried out that often. Especially people with no criminal history and especially women (only 10% of the perps to begin with). Just a statistical improbability.

Obviously, there are exceptions and the Bevers case could certainly be one. But my point is that until they've exhausted all other possibilities, I don't think the Midlothian police will go down the path of a potential jealous woman.
chmicr
Watch the 2 videos again and look at his right leg/foot and arms. His right foot turns outward as he walks. He's got a very distinctive walk. To me it looks like the same person.
Zombie Jon Snow
AG
quote:
Watch the 2 videos again and look at his right leg/foot and arms. His right foot turns outward as he walks. He's got a very distinctive walk. To me it looks like the same person.

are you STILL talking about the father in law?

seriously? just based on the video i guess?

do you really think the LEO's have not confirmed his alibi completely?

He was in California about 9 hours before the murder was committed. With witnesses. Playing golf. That would be pretty easy to corroborate - people leave a trail on vacations including receipts,reservations, etc. Besides witnesses at the golf course.

Pretty darn hard to go from southern California to Midlothian in the middle of the night in 9 hours without leaving some kind of trail. Impossible to drive that far in that time. Obviously commercial flights would have a trail, rental car, etc. And even a private plane would have a flight plan, etc.

I'm just really confused by people that think that some close family member hasn't been looked into enough at this point - at least to rule out direct involvement which is what we are talking about here.

DannyDuberstein
AG
Yeah, I'm assuming the alibis were confirmed family thoroughly enough to rule them out directly. It still leaves the chance they arranged for someone else to do it, but either way, the FIL and video similarities seem to be coincidence.
LSB_2002
AG
Anybody else curious as to what in the world happened to this story? Seems like we haven't heard anything in a very long time!
lunchbox
Yup - I check for updates every few days....but nothing.

I am hoping the police have a good idea who did it and are just getting all their ducks in a row or watching them to see if they slip up...
wbt5845
AG
Someone has literally got away with murder.

I still firmly believe this was a hit - the individual who did the killing was a pro who knew how to disguise themselves to avoid being identified. Someone who knew she would be there at the time by herself hired this person to do it.
91AggieLawyer
AG
Relax. Unrelated, but they arrested the former Grand Prairie ISD finance lady a full YEAR after she was fired by the district. Certain investigations take a long time. The Kaufman guy who killed 2 DAs was on the loose for several months -- at least, after the first murder.

If we're still wondering what happened to this case in early 2018, then you can start guessing that someone got away with it. I'll see if I can find out anything from some police contacts.
RV Ag
Look forward to hearing any info.
bco2003
AG
Reward has been increased from $20k to $50k

http://www.dallasnews.com/news/crime/2016/10/27/reward-raised-50000-slaying-fitness-trainer-missy-bevers-midlothian-church

Quote:

Kevin Johnson, assistant chief of the Midlothian police, announced Thursday afternoon that two anonymous donors had contributed $15,000 each to the existing $20,000 reward.
"Despite the concerted efforts of many talented investigative personnel, much remains unknown about exactly what happened that morning on April 18th, or why," Johnson said in a statement.
wbt5845
AG
I am convinced her husband had her killed. He had means, motive, and opportunity. Police released the details of her potentially cheating on him and their marital problems to hopefully flush something out.
Decay
AG
Solve a murder, get 50 grand? Is this how you break into the sleuthing biz?
SoCalAg97
AG
I have never understood how increasing the reward money will help. if someone now came forward with information on the murder, would you not wonder what kind of person they are in that they needed more money to be convinced to help solve a murder?
DannyDuberstein
AG
I think it's more of a way to simply get it back in the news and in front of people vs. necessarily trying to meet someone's price.
Texas Ag Mom
A friend of mine is the chief of police in one of the DFW cities near where this crime occurred. I have been thinking that they know who committed the crime & they are still gathering evidence/waiting on him to screw up. But my friend says no. His professional opinion is that they don't know who did this & the PD screwed up in the crucial first days of the investigation. I guess time will tell.
91AggieLawyer
AG
More video released

Wrighty
AG
New video sure looks like a man.
91AggieLawyer
AG
Quote:

the PD screwed up in the crucial first days of the investigation

Did he say how?

One of the problems police have with these kinds of cases is that the detectives often haven't done any similar investigations in their careers. First timers (and even second and third) make mistakes.

The fact that they released the video told me they had no idea who it might be.
Gil Renard
AG
91AggieLawyer said:

Quote:

the PD screwed up in the crucial first days of the investigation

Did he say how?

One of the problems police have with these kinds of cases is that the detectives often haven't done any similar investigations in their careers. First timers (and even second and third) make mistakes.

The fact that they released the video told me they had no idea who it might be.
Texas Ag Mom
"Did he say how?"

He didn't go into detail. I asked if the FBI & some other depts had been involved & he said they were for a short period of time. He said the police chief took them off the case & that he is a real jerk.
culdeus
AG
What reasons were there to not release the video that early? Part-time amateur armchair detective here.
91AggieLawyer
AG
Quote:

He said the police chief took them off the case & that he is a real jerk.

"Them" meaning the agencies or "them" being the detectives? If the latter, he might have wanted a different set of eyes going over the evidence. Unlikely that anyone in that department has done more than maybe 2 or 3 of these types of cases in their career. The FBI was probably brought in for evidentiary support (i.e. blood spatter, tire marks, foot prints, etc.). They did their stuff and filed an affidavit/report.

Of course, the chief may be a politician (or act like one).

Quote:

What reasons were there to not release the video that early? Part-time amateur armchair detective here.
They could have thought that the first set of videos would lead to the identity of the person. I think this second set, which doesn't seem to have anything much different than the first set, was -- as someone on here said -- to refresh the case news wise. Like a bump on here!
akaggie05
AG
Another reason to sometimes not release all photos/video is that they think there might be something distinctive or unusual revealed within that only the killer or someone tied to the murder would know. Sometimes that makes tying someone to the crime via interviews a lot easier (if they slip up and mention something that would be impossible for anyone else to know without seeing the video).
MsDoubleD81
AG
I didn't see much different in the "new" videos either, but started wondering what he/she was looking for by opening all of the doors? If he was actually there to kill her, why not just sit and wait for her instead of roaming the halls?
Cage_Stage
AG
I don't think that video is new. It appears to be the same as this one, uploaded by Midlothian PD on April 22, 2016. The very first videos were just a few seconds long and came out on April 18.

That KTVT link must be old.

youtube.com/watch?v=ePS8TJ6UAqY
Texas Ag Mom
Sorry I wasn't clear. "Them" meaning agencies.
91AggieLawyer
AG
Someone may have already mentioned this, but what IF the person in the video actually had nothing to do with the murder? They really were there to steal something -- maybe music equipment. Either something was stolen and hasn't been reported, nothing was stolen (locked up out of reach or didn't find what they wanted), or something was stolen and no one knows. I play for my church orchestra and take stuff up to church and leave it there. It isn't the church's property so they don't know. Unlikely that it wouldn't be missed but not out of the question -- I know guys that have so many guitars that they might temporarily forget about one.
O'Doyle Rules
AG
91AggieLawyer said:

Someone may have already mentioned this, but what IF the person in the video actually had nothing to do with the murder? They really were there to steal something -- maybe music equipment. Either something was stolen and hasn't been reported, nothing was stolen (locked up out of reach or didn't find what they wanted), or something was stolen and no one knows. I play for my church orchestra and take stuff up to church and leave it there. It isn't the church's property so they don't know. Unlikely that it wouldn't be missed but not out of the question -- I know guys that have so many guitars that they might temporarily forget about one.

What are the odds of that? At 4am? At the same time as a murder? Simply, no.
Ervin Burrell
AG
O'Doyle Rules said:

91AggieLawyer said:

What are the odds of that? At 4am? At the same time as a murder? Simply, no.
While I agree there's zero chance the person on video has no involvement in the murder, if someone WAS going to rob a place like a church, 4 AM would be a damn good time to do it.
culdeus
AG
Would they really take the effort to put on such an elaborate costume for a robbery?

I don't really have a good explanation as to why the person went to so many rooms and opened so many doors. I mean this could have been executed in the parking lot, no? Why was access to the interior of the facility so important to this murder and it also leaves a bit more of a chance of forensic evidence getting left.

91AggieLawyer
AG
NM; possible weapon in hand.
AgFB
AG
91AggieLawyer said:

They really were there to steal something -- maybe music equipment. Either something was stolen and hasn't been reported, nothing was stolen (locked up out of reach or didn't find what they wanted), or something was stolen and no one knows. I play for my church orchestra and take stuff up to church and leave it there. It isn't the church's property so they don't know. Unlikely that it wouldn't be missed but not out of the question -- I know guys that have so many guitars that they might temporarily forget about one.

It's Church of Christ so.....
DannyDuberstein
AG
So they weren't there to steal musical instruments or wine, unless you consider welch's grape juice to be wine.

subscribe Verify your student status
See Subscription Benefits
Trial only available to users who have never subscribed or participated in a previous trial.